AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > To Aru Majutsu no Index

Notices

Old 2019-08-31, 09:31   Link #41
Yu Ominae
ARCAM Spriggan agent

Send a message via Yahoo to Yu Ominae
I don't remember if this backstory of that magnitude with the Hishigatas with Esther (Still think Estelle's not a problem) is emphasized in the manga.

Even if we were at odds with each other, I still thank you for training me, Instructor Bowman - Yu Ominae, reflecting on Bowman's death after killing him in Phantom Island
Yu Ominae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-08-31, 12:59   Link #42
Frontier

So this entire thing was set off by an experiment to create the first Level 6. That never ends well .

Hirumi was positively adorable. With her unbridled cuteness and enthusiasm I'm not surprised her brother or Esther would become as dedicated to her as they did. And she looked pretty hot in those gym clothes .

So Esther didn't seem to have a problem with the Level 6 experiments when they were just grabbing random women in debt who needed the money or shoplifters. I guess it's better then actually killing women, even if stripping them down to their underwear and messing with them emotionally and physically isn't much better. Plus, having two dudes run an experiment that treats women in such a way seems pretty skeevy .

I thought Esther's clothes were from wherever she's from, but it turns out she came to Academy City wearing nothing but a button-down shirt and pants and looked almost completely different. So we have Hirumi to thank for Esther starting to look and dress more like a girl .

I see Esther's lack of shame at being seen in her underwear was a thing even back then, although her taste in underwear was decidedly more plain (which I guess means Hirumi is behind the pair Accelerator saw her in). She was even mistaken for Harumi .

Oh hey, that trio from the first episode. Kinda neat that they showed up. Kind of makes me think they might address them again at some point .

So the individual running around in Hirumi's body isn't actually Hirumi, but one of the necromancer guardians Esther has. Although it did throw a potential wrinkle with the idea that Hirumi planned for this to happen from the very start .

Did Esther's handcuffs disappear between scenes? She didn't have them on in that panning shot of her standing up when she agrees to work with "Hirumi" .
Old 2019-08-31, 13:20   Link #43
Side-streetdog

Ep 8 is a filler episode, but it filler that we need
Relationship between Esther and those two always kind of lacking
and never really explained their relationship more than some words
In original manga they only explained their goal in just few pages if I remember correctly

So, I never feel related to this arc
It's good thing they make entire episode for this. Now it make a lot more sense
Old 2019-08-31, 13:41   Link #44
4th Dimension

This might have been necessary but MAN was it boring except maybe 30% of the episode that was in any way relevant. Also miss necromancer with incredibly dangerous spirits that destroy cities even if trained necromancers summon them, walking about with them in the pocket and not checking if they all are there.

Also the second to final threat from the monster fell flat on it's face for me. "Do as I say as I go out of control and destroy a LOT OR I'll squish these assholes who moments before were pointing guns at you." and this is to someone who was fine with doing whatever to random girls they needed for experiments since "certain amount of tragedy is necessary". Yeah sure, you'd care about these assholes.

Join Midchilda Discord server - a Nanoha community server
4th Dimension is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-08-31, 16:42   Link #45
Wandering Soul

This may have been filler, but it at least actually expanded on the characters and helped explain the situation a bit better.
Old 2019-08-31, 18:03   Link #46
Frontier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wandering Soul View Post
This may have been filler, but it at least actually expanded on the characters and helped explain the situation a bit better.
The best filler is the kind where you only realize it's filler if you read the Manga .
Old 2019-08-31, 23:38   Link #47
GDB

It was obviously filler even without the manga. They brought in a necromancer, who proceeded to do literally zero necromancy in the flashback explaining how their paths crossed. Paths which were explained in prior episodes as crossing because she taught him necromancy, which was never performed.

In fact, it seems right up until Hirumi's death, Esther still hadn't taught him anything. He wasn't sure her abilities were even real, implying he hadn't even seen her do it yet. Which begs the question... why the hell did they keep her around if she wasn't doing anything for weeks or months?
GDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-09-01, 05:49   Link #48
4th Dimension

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDB View Post
In fact, it seems right up until Hirumi's death, Esther still hadn't taught him anything. He wasn't sure her abilities were even real, implying he hadn't even seen her do it yet. Which begs the question... why the hell did they keep her around if she wasn't doing anything for weeks or months?
Exactly, this is why pretty much all motivations fall flat on their faces. I have no idea why they wanted her, or even why she decided to come to AC in the first place. Hell, how did they even contact her given how COMPLETELY OBLIVIOUS she is to how the world works.

Old 2019-09-01, 12:37   Link #49
Frontier

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDB View Post
Maybe because Hirumi really liked her?
Old 2019-09-16, 08:31   Link #50
Yu Ominae
ARCAM Spriggan agent

Send a message via Yahoo to Yu Ominae
The 10th episode is almost something like I've seen with the Rosenthal flashback in the manga, albeit more gruesome.

Even if we were at odds with each other, I still thank you for training me, Instructor Bowman - Yu Ominae, reflecting on Bowman's death after killing him in Phantom Island
Yu Ominae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-09-20, 19:33   Link #51
jalvin_billster1091
Arcaneus Magi

Ep 11:

Nice gore filled episode, Good one liner from Accelerator and don't press the Sisters button Antagonist.
jalvin_billster1091 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-09-20, 22:26   Link #52
Magewolf

And that is why you always carry spare batteries.
Magewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-09-21, 14:14   Link #53
SilverGlavenus

So far it's pretty bland. Hirumi/Ancestor talks too much and spouts mostly exposition.

Esther has a dream/something to protect but lacks the power to do so and ended up asking Accelerator to help, which is pretty lame IMO, since she has been doing nothing.
SilverGlavenus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-09-21, 15:16   Link #54
4th Dimension

Yeah, blandness of this is unsurprising since the manga was noted as not being much good, especially this arc if I remember correctly.

The show struggles I think with how to present challenge to someone with op abilities. To the point that I'm pretty sure Accelerator is bound to run out of battery power and they'll have to scrable to charge it in the final fight. Possibly the reason why one of Missaka clones who is as useful as the necromancer in a fight (less so given necromancer is needed to put down the big bad) is tagging along.

I mean what have they done in the last episode? They walked, fought some tentacles and the cops/teachers (this is still a very stupid concept, man there will be a lot of dropped classes next week) doing... something...
Oh and the vilain has been doing a lot of monologueing, and Esther has been having angst because SUPRISE, being a NECROMANCER is BAAAD... Like WTF.

Old 2019-09-21, 16:49   Link #55
Wandering Soul

It's pretty clear that for someone that loves to monologue so much, the Ancestor has no idea what's he doing. Hit a roadblock? I guess randomly killing my allies will help me get the answer.
Old 2019-09-22, 03:08   Link #56
4th Dimension

They were HAAAAARDLY his allies. Besides they are just rando gun idiots. Completely useless at his level.

Old 2019-09-22, 03:43   Link #57
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Also, it's kinda working.
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-09-22, 15:43   Link #58
Wandering Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
Also, it's kinda working.
Doesn't change the fact that he talks a lot for a dude that's essentially just stumbling his way through his plan to godhood.
Old 2019-09-22, 20:48   Link #59
SilverGlavenus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wandering Soul View Post
Doesn't change the fact that he talks a lot for a dude that's essentially just stumbling his way through his plan to godhood.
And Hirumi's face is very punchable too, Mm-hmm.
SilverGlavenus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-09-27, 20:19   Link #60
blitz1/2
Tenshi's Defense Squadron

Too bad there is no Touma cameo.

hai, hai. Onii-chan has his work cut out for him.
blitz1/2 is offline   Reply With Quote