Old 2016-12-17, 13:55   Link #21
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Well he is Scottish.
Old 2016-12-17, 15:53   Link #22
Renegade334
Sleepy Lurker
*Graphic Designer

It's a pity the animation and character design will probably be quite different from the original DuckTales'. There's a certain charm to the old, hand-drawn cartoons, unique to Disney, that I really miss nowadays and unfortunately know will never come back to life, not since WD discovered after Toy Story that they could do everything with either 3D modeling/animation software or Flash...and consequently shuttered their traditional drawing studios en masse.

The latest Mickey Mouse cartoon series was a VERY interesting adaptation, which at moments could elicit pure admiration and deep laughs, but the drawings (due to the extreme slapstick comedy) were deliberately caricatural and often bordered on the grotesque and ugly. There were also a few instances where the jokes got a bit creepy (hint: one of them involves an udder), but then again, the targeted audience is NOT the same as the new DuckTales', so there might be hope left for the latter.

Last edited by Renegade334; 2016-12-17 at 16:08.
Renegade334 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-12-17, 16:00   Link #23
quigonkenny
Sav'aaq!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade334 View Post
It's pity the animation and character design will probably be quite different from the original DuckTales. There's a certain charm to the old, hand-drawn cartoons, unique to Disney, that I really miss nowadays and unfortunately know to never come back to life, not since WD discovered after Toy Story that they could do everything with either 3D modeling/animation software or Flash...and consequently shuttered their traditional drawing studios en masse.
If the character portraits in that singing video are any clue, hopes aren't high. I'll probably check it out just for Tennant, though.

Though to be honest, if they were going to pick a Doctor to voice Scrooge McDuck, I think Peter Capaldi might have actually been more fitting. If for age, if nothing else.
Old 2016-12-17, 16:03   Link #24
Renegade334
Sleepy Lurker
*Graphic Designer

Source: http://www.ew.com/article/2016/12/07...alflow_twitter
Old 2016-12-17, 16:11   Link #25
quigonkenny
Sav'aaq!

Quote:
So DuckTales Go! then... Can't say my hopes are up...
Old 2016-12-17, 16:16   Link #26
Renegade334
Sleepy Lurker
*Graphic Designer

Well, we should save our judgment for when the first footage trailer will make landfall, it might actually be decent.

I'm just going to mourn the irreversible demise of the old, classic (hand-drawn) Disney character design and animation style. T_T

EDIT: click here for high-res banner (see my previous post) - WARNING: large file!

...I remember a time when shirt/hat color was the only way to tell Huey from Dewey and Louie and vice versa. Looks like each of them is being given his own hairdo.

Last edited by Renegade334; 2016-12-17 at 18:16.
Renegade334 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-12-18, 01:12   Link #27
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
...I remember a time when shirt/hat color was the only way to tell Huey from Dewey and Louie and vice versa. Looks like each of them is being given his own hairdo.
That was a LONG time ago. I think they had been dressed completely differently for a decade now.

On a different note, was it just me or Donald Duck didn't used to appear in the original Duck Tales? Not sure why he is added here, I would have thought keeping the cast smaller makes it easier to write stories?
(Went and googled. Apparently the original Ducktales had Donald joining the Navy and that was why he was rarely available as a guest star. But I guess they are going to have him in the new one, along with Daisy.)
Old 2016-12-18, 04:35   Link #28
Renegade334
Sleepy Lurker
*Graphic Designer

Well, I *am* almost exclusively partial to the Don Rosa+Carl Barks-style/era comics and cartoons (what I more or less see as Disney's golden age).

What can I say? I just love the classics (I even have some of the 1950s Mickey comics [French translation, though]).
Old 2016-12-18, 08:37   Link #29
Diluc
Darkhero of Monstadt

I dislike the triplet new design it's alien for my favorite childhood nephews image, and i especially don't get Weeby new design although now we can distinquish the triplet than in classic version.
I hope Fethry duck will be included this time that guy is awesome in comic, it's about time for whole world to knows why him and Donald are infamously called "disaster duo".
Diluc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-12-18, 12:25   Link #30
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

TaleSpin revival when.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-12-18, 13:21   Link #31
Eisdrache
Part-time misanthrope

Quote:
Glad I'm not the only one who fondly remembers that time. The new designs are a huge turn-off for me.
Eisdrache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-12-18, 15:38   Link #32
BassGSnewtype
The Sword of Darkness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
TaleSpin revival when.
Give me Darkwing Duck anyday
Old 2016-12-18, 16:55   Link #33
TnAdct1
Honya-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallen Chaos Valiant View Post
On a different note, was it just me or Donald Duck didn't used to appear in the original Duck Tales? Not sure why he is added here, I would have thought keeping the cast smaller makes it easier to write stories?
(Went and googled. Apparently the original Ducktales had Donald joining the Navy and that was why he was rarely available as a guest star. But I guess they are going to have him in the new one, along with Daisy.)
One possible reason why Donald's role in the original Ducktales series was basically negated to the occasional guest appearance in the first season: considering how the series is inspired by the Uncle Scrooge comics, a good chunk of dialogue would not be understandable if Donald was still around. As such, Donald was pretty much put on a boat, and you have Launchpad and later Fenton taking over the Donald role (especially Fenton).
Old 2016-12-18, 21:45   Link #34
Diluc
Darkhero of Monstadt

Quote:
TaleSpin revival when.
Naah, give us The life and time of Scrooge MCduck the animation that will be an epic legend.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TnAdct1 View Post
One possible reason why Donald's role in the original Ducktales series was basically negated to the occasional guest appearance in the first season: considering how the series is inspired by the Uncle Scrooge comics, a good chunk of dialogue would not be understandable if Donald was still around. As such, Donald was pretty much put on a boat, and you have Launchpad and later Fenton taking over the Donald role (especially Fenton).
I believe the reason Donald wasn't in on original because popularity mater in order to appeal the original casts Donald intented to excluded, to popular scrooge from his comic also one more reason.
On current situation re-use same reason to exclude Donald is obsolete because Donald is not popular as he was now on contrary Donald need to be included to return his fame again.
That to being said i doubt Fenton will back because he's quite stranger for classic Disney if Disney aiming to revive donald duck franchise.
Diluc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-12-19, 08:56   Link #35
sona-nyl
Actually an Alligator

I for one consider the artstyle to be a massive improvement over the original. The old art style was standard disney on-model stuff except for the massive heads that made the characters far to cutesy. It was handsomely animated but the series didn't feel like Barks at all, neither in art style or how the characters moved.

This style is very stylized but it feels much closer to Barks in spirit particularly in the expressions. And there are so many small touches to the designs that evoke the comics: the pie eyes, how Scrooge is in red and Donald in black and how the limbs are thinner and stretchier.

Also the staff for this series has repeatedly mentioned how much they respect Carl Barks (as well as Don Rosa et al.) so that already gives it one leg up compared to the original Ducktales.
Old 2016-12-19, 20:57   Link #36
YF19EX

Quote:
TaleSpin revival when.
As I said in my older post in this thread, I would be afraid for a TailSpin remake. It was far more action packed, when it came to dealing with more complex issues like corporate meddling, mobsters, piracy, invasion issues. I don't know if they could do the old one justice. But if Disney XD is willing take the current story telling narrative to its classic franchise like they are doing with Star Wars Rebels then they might be able to keep it interesting.
YF19EX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-12-19, 22:46   Link #37
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by BassGSnewtype View Post
Give me Darkwing Duck anyday
Blasphemer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by YF19EX View Post
As I said in my older post in this thread, I would be afraid for a TailSpin remake. It was far more action packed, when it came to dealing with more complex issues like corporate meddling, mobsters, piracy, invasion issues. I don't know if they could do the old one justice. But if Disney XD is willing take the current story telling narrative to its classic franchise like they are doing with Star Wars Rebels then they might be able to keep it interesting.
Yes, that's always the gamble when you reboot a show that was really good. TaleSpin was by far the most sophisticated and subtle of the original D.A. block, and there's no guarantee that'd carry over. But the current treatment of Duck Tales seems to be pretty respectful and high-caliber, so I'd be happy to take the risk.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-12-20, 18:42   Link #38
quigonkenny
Sav'aaq!

Quote:
Blasphemer.
This is why we can't have nice things...
Old 2016-12-21, 01:48   Link #39
Neki Ecko
Dancing with the Sky

Send a message via Yahoo to Neki Ecko
Darkwing Dark?!?!?

I have to raise up the ante on this, how about Chip and Dale's
Rescue Rangers with that Godly Opening?
Old 2016-12-21, 02:35   Link #40
BassGSnewtype
The Sword of Darkness

Oh lord how can i forget about that one. XD