AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Light Novels

Notices

Old 2018-08-29, 15:33   Link #8381
J4n1

I enjoy reading overlord, but honestly, it tends to balance at the edge of where i would drop it because it goes too dark.

Demiurge's farms and other acts being a main reason, but it was never as bad as the fate of Arche's sisters.
I can enjoy a good tragedy, but a good tragedy should be largely self inflicted (like delving into a dark dungeon full of undead and suspiciously large amounts of poorly guarded treasure), not just horrible things happening to you out of nowhere for no fault of your own.

edit-
Large part of my enjoyment is that it dares to be dark.
And not just by having protagonist centered morality, Ainz and co are evil monsters, and the story knows it.
J4n1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-08-29, 21:39   Link #8382
Flare007

Can’t argue with that. But then again, Ainz himself isn’t all evil, since he’s a player and all
Flare007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-08-30, 00:57   Link #8383
Snowbold

I think one of the problems that is preventing people from enjoying this story is that even though we know Satou/Ainz is playing the role of a villain, we still don't always see him as THE VILLAIN.
As Ramsay Bolton said, "If you think this is going to have a happy ending, you have not been paying attention."

Now onto a post Vol. 13 discussion. So we know that Ainz is slowly making his minions public figures through one plot or another. Cocytus governing the Lizard People, Albedo as Prime Minister of the SK, the Pleiades as Demon Maids of Jaldabaoth and Demiurge as Jaldabaoth as the key examples. But since 'Jaldabaoth' is dead, how will he reintroduce him without drawing scorn?

I think the best way is to announce a 'plot'.
It would go like this if he sent letters to the neighboring kingdoms:
"After defeating Jaldabaoth, I questioned where he came from and learned how to summon him, or a demon identical to him. This one, called Demiurge, stated that his race of demons have to be summoned through a complex ritual and then subjugated. With my power, I was able to do this easily. However, for Jaldabaoth to have appeared meant someone else did this before me and they had complete control of him. Meaning they sent him to attack Re-Estize and the Holy Kingdom on purpose. Whoever did this must either have great power or a magical item capable of mind control..."
  • Such a notice would allow Demiurge to resurface without controversy (well not entirely) and shift the blame to an unknown actor. Ainz would benefit from the kingdoms searching for this mind control device as he is still looking for Shalltear's attackers.
  • At the same time, the Slaine Theocracy would probably be sweating bullets thinking he is purposely framing them in a false-flag operation since he would 'know' they have Downfall of Castle & Country. Slaine only has partial information so they may think that Ainz does know about their world-class item when in fact it could be a shot in the dark.
  • The reason I think such a move would be plausible is that it would fit with Ainz's random/half-thought schemes playing out as masterstrokes to everyone else's view (like his visit to Arwinter and fighting Go-Gin speeding up vassalization).

What other paths would be reasonable to expect post-Holy Kingdom in your opinions?

Last edited by Snowbold; 2018-08-30 at 01:45.
Snowbold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-08-30, 01:25   Link #8384
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Problem: the Emperor has already seen Demiurge, way before Jaldabaoth's defeat.

Solution: deny that Demiurge and Jaldabaoth look anything alike.
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-08-30, 01:39   Link #8385
Snowbold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
Problem: the Emperor has already seen Demiurge, way before Jaldabaoth's defeat.

Solution: deny that Demiurge and Jaldabaoth look anything alike.
Aah, but he saw him with the Toad Head, not his humanoid face or with the mask. And he did not see him as Evil Lord Wrath, which is the news spreading from the Holy Kingdom, that that is his true form.
Spoiler for Includes image from volume not officially translated yet.:

He thinks Demiurge is some kind of Toad Bard. All they have is the suit to go off, but when will Evileye, Remedios and the Emperor all meet Demiurge at the same time and say "Yep, that's him!"
Old 2018-08-30, 03:54   Link #8386
Sixth
Hu Tao

Episode 8 just showed that being powerful doesn't mean you are fit to be leader. At this point, it seems that Ainz is just a puppet leader and Demiurge is the real one that running Nazerick at behind.
Sixth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-08-30, 05:47   Link #8387
Flare007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sixth View Post
Episode 8 just showed that being powerful doesn't mean you are fit to be leader. At this point, it seems that Ainz is just a puppet leader and Demiurge is the real one that running Nazerick at behind.
While it can be seen that way, let’s not forget Demiurge is doing this for Ainz, since he assumes all he’s doing is under Ainz’s plans.

And with all due respect, isn’t one of the main reasons Ainz isn’t seen as THE VILLAIN is because of his rather innocent end goal being to hopefully reunite with his guild mates since she’s under the belief that they could be in the world just like him?
Flare007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-08-30, 07:18   Link #8388
J4n1

Ainz is not completely evil, nobody is completely evil, it's a poorly written villain who is evil always in every situation no matter what.

Now, i love a good hammy villain who does evil™ for the sake of doing evil™, but even they need to have motivations beyond being complete monsters (and they work best as affable card carrying villains anyway, who are more in it for style, instead of harming people, think Megamind, it's all about presentation).
Ainz is evil, affably so, yes, but still evil, and what keeps him back most is his fear of what other players, and his guildmates (his peers) would think of him.
And not really seeing anything to gain from cruelty for its own sake, give him a a reason to be cruel (insult nazarick, oppose his plans, harm his children) and gloves are off.

As for what to do with Demiurge.
Nothing.
Few people got to actually see Demiurge properly, and even then he was wearing a mask.
For now, keep Demiurge in the shadows unless otherwise required, and let eye witnesses die of old age, and have the few public appearances that Demiurge needs to do be in his frogman form.

The New World has no photographs, no printing presses, no real mass media, information of Jaldabaoths appearance is going to be sketchy at best, downright wrong at worst.
J4n1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-08-31, 12:39   Link #8389
pervypig

Dudes... Do you guys play MMORPGs? I'm sure you guys would have tried it at one time or another; so tell me: do you feel anything at all when killing or stealing from NPCs?

Satou/Momonga WAS inside a game. It was such a smooth transition from the game-world to the new world that hardly anything could have been felt. What's more, he ended up in a body that doesn't feel anything (no hunger/thirst/tiredness)... who's to say if part of him doesn't still think that all of that is just still a game? I'm not trying to justify his action with all that, but his actions aren't really all that illogical - nor is it really something like 'slowly slipping into evil' like some others think, since his moral-compass had always been very clear from Vol. 1: Look out for myself, and then the NPCs that me and my friends created.

Now, as for whether there are any 'moral' characters in Nazerick, Sebas comes really close; but even he subscribes to that 'For Nazerick, everything else can go rot if it comes down to it' doctrine. And for better or worse, don't all of us have that in us too? That's what had made the characters in Nazerick so relatable. But I guess it is too much for some that the troll-thor had decided to include some P.O.V. from the other side of the fence.
pervypig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-08-31, 17:55   Link #8390
tuckersister

Sebas is actually my favorite character. Everything he has done is for good reasons. I hope get another Sebas arc soon.

However I'm looking forward in read a Evileye arc. I don't she hides that she's a vampire (except for her comrades). What she does is just like what Ainz/Satou is doing. She hides her race, while he hides his personality. Sooner or later they both have to open up.
tuckersister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-09-03, 11:19   Link #8391
Fufufu
Doffy

There some pictures of Maruyama Kugane wearing mask and hood.
Fufufu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-09-04, 22:15   Link #8392
Snowbold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fufufu View Post
There some pictures of Maruyama Kugane wearing mask and hood.
From AX?

Yeah he had a skull hood. It was funny though is that he pulled it off slightly to drink some water but I missed it since I was looking at the screen when he did it. He confirmed at AX that Renner was best girl, because she was the most messed up one.
Old 2018-09-15, 09:03   Link #8393
Ultragunner

is anyone following the anime here? Someone mentioned "THAT" with the preview for the next episode, something about denizens of Nazarick being "Man-eaters"?

I don't mind spoilers, so can some kind souls please enlighten me? Thanks
Old 2018-09-15, 09:14   Link #8394
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

I don't think the THAT has to do with man-eaters. I think THAT is a special ability from a certain item that's triggered in certain conditions. And yes, explaining that without a narrator is going to be challenging. I guess Ainz will fulfill that function, but he's not really supposed to know the conditions either.

The man-eaters thing was just about how some of the NPCs like to eat people, which we already knew.
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-09-15, 09:39   Link #8395
GreyZone
"Senior" "Member"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultragunner View Post
is anyone following the anime here? Someone mentioned "THAT" with the preview for the next episode, something about denizens of Nazarick being "Man-eaters"?

I don't mind spoilers, so can some kind souls please enlighten me? Thanks
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
I don't think the THAT has to do with man-eaters. I think THAT is a special ability from a certain item that's triggered in certain conditions. And yes, explaining that without a narrator is going to be challenging. I guess Ainz will fulfill that function, but he's not really supposed to know the conditions either.

The man-eaters thing was just about how some of the NPCs like to eat people, which we already knew.
Yea it was me who mentioned THAT in a spoiler. And it's just as Anh_Minh explained. The man-eater thing was a seperate discussion.
Old 2018-09-21, 08:38   Link #8396
GreyZone
"Senior" "Member"

What do you think of this? It's from the very end of ED3:

Images
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

Am I overthinking it, or is it...

Images
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

If that's true, then the scene of Ainz bursting into light at the end of the ED doesn't refer to Ainz "losing his humanity", but perhaps rather to his "ascension" to a god-like figure?

Also it might be hinting at a season 4 AND 5.

Imagine if in the final episode this blurred image suddenly gets clear and visible... seems like something madhouse could do, considering how they previously incorporated Renner's evil side into the episode.

EDIT: It seems someone on reddit thought of it sooner (e.g. including the bow), but oh well...

Last edited by GreyZone; 2018-09-22 at 04:26.
GreyZone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-09-23, 10:46   Link #8397
Fufufu
Doffy

I would say no thanks Madhouse did enough damage on the series TBH.
Old 2018-09-23, 11:38   Link #8398
Waxman

What? The CG Goblin Army? Please what could be wrong with turning a really epic scene in the LN and turning into Ber... Berse...
I... Can't even write it...
Sigh...
Anyways, @GreyZone I believe that's just Enri pic
Waxman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-09-23, 17:25   Link #8399
GreyZone
"Senior" "Member"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waxman View Post
Anyways, @GreyZone I believe that's just Enri pic
What would that be for? We are done with Enri already (not including future LN releases), other than a short appearence at the end of vol. 11. For what other reason could they possibly have that blurry image around? It will probably be unveiled at the end of episode 13 as a grand surprise. I mean if it just turns out to be some random Enri endcard, wouldn't it have been better to reveal it in episode 11 instead? Since that didn't happen it's probably not related to her.

I mean I would be glad with something else as well, like an OVA series about the "prologue" two-parter blu-ray special short-story novel, showing how Momonga became the guildmaster and how his guild conquered the Tomb of Nazarick. I only read it yesterday and boy did I regret not reading this earlier. It gives so much insight into Momonga/Ainz and his guildmates and how they were essentially a group of stubborn high-risk high-reward deviants and also how shitty the "real world" actually was, it's something one should definitly read.

Last edited by GreyZone; 2018-09-23 at 17:35.
GreyZone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-09-24, 03:03   Link #8400
Fufufu
Doffy

Waxman it's not about the Goblin Army being CG I don't mind this. I'm upset about Ainz's army with all other things. Let's wait until the end of season.

Tags
fantasy, harem, lich, transfer to another world, world domination