AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Archived Manga & Light Novel Discussion

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2011-07-19, 13:57   Link #161
Miles Teg

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielSong39 View Post
Spoiler for Ending:
You probably should reread chapter 54
Old 2011-07-19, 14:13   Link #162
konart

Quote:
Spoiler for Ending:
Spoiler for emmm:
Old 2011-07-19, 14:39   Link #163
Darknemo2000

Send a message via AIM to Darknemo2000
Quote:
Spoiler for Ending:
Its pretty obvious that you didnt read this manga carefully.

Spoiler for hmm:
Old 2011-07-19, 16:26   Link #164
henwy

One thing that sorta bothers me as a peripheral point is that it probably would have been more believable if Rin had been taken in while she was just a wee bit older. There wouldn't have been as much of a Westermarck effect, which could have explained things a bit better. There's a reason why royals were often able to interbreed as much as they did. They kids were seldom raised together during those critical periods, often being secluded with their own nannies/servants. It's not a certainty, but it's very likely it's our own sense of the Westermarck effect that makes this story so squick. It's the mangaka's failure to actually provide any foundation for a romance that makes the story so WTF.
Old 2011-07-20, 11:10   Link #165
henwy

Just read Chp 55 and I feel bad enough for Dai I can almost forgive him for the unbelievable squick. It's not only that he hasn't had female companionship of any sort for over 16 years. It's that he hasn't even had the glimmer of a chance for it other than with Nintani and that ship just burst into incandescent flames not too long ago. Maybe he could have clung to some hope that she would one day come around but there's certainly no hope of that now. So who else has he had to share any sort of intimacy, never mind the physical part, for all these years? Zilch. At that point, you could be crazed enough to believe anything might work.

Spoiler for chp 55:

Last edited by henwy; 2011-07-20 at 11:13. Reason: spoiler tags
Old 2011-07-20, 12:00   Link #166
User68604
Disabled By Request

Quote:
Originally Posted by henwy View Post
Just read Chp 55 and I feel bad enough for Dai I can almost forgive him for the unbelievable squick. It's not only that he hasn't had female companionship of any sort for over 16 years. It's that he hasn't even had the glimmer of a chance for it other than with Nintani and that ship just burst into incandescent flames not too long ago. Maybe he could have clung to some hope that she would one day come around but there's certainly no hope of that now. So who else has he had to share any sort of intimacy, never mind the physical part, for all these years? Zilch. At that point, you could be crazed enough to believe anything might work.

Spoiler for chp 55:
what does squick mean?

chapter 55=
Spoiler:

Only one more to go!! this story is great, the anime is great, and I'm betting the live-action will be great as well!!
Old 2011-07-20, 13:07   Link #167
Khalil

Quote:
Originally Posted by recover View Post
what does squick mean?
A contraction of "squeamish" and "Ick!" according to TV Tropes.
Old 2011-07-20, 13:19   Link #168
henwy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khalil View Post
A contraction of "squeamish" and "Ick!" according to TV Tropes.
That's pretty much it. It's a visceral eww, usually about something psychological.
Old 2011-07-20, 18:45   Link #169
Sinestra
ショ ン (^^)
*IT Support

Send a message via AIM to Sinestra Send a message via MSN to Sinestra Send a message via Yahoo to Sinestra
Spoiler for comment on ending (dont read if havent read the ending):
Old 2011-07-20, 21:01   Link #170
henwy

It was just badly done IMO. You can go back now and say you saw hints here or there, but really the foundation was never clearly laid anywhere. What, she never had a stream of consciousness and thought about her feelings at any point up until she just blurted it out? It just seemed whacky. Not to mention the relationship with the kid had been progressing, though through fits and starts thanks to Ms psycho pregnancy scare. There was way more foundation for that as a story end then what we got. Or rather, will get since the last chapter hasn't been scanlated yet to my knowledge.
Old 2011-07-21, 07:11   Link #171
Sinestra
ショ ン (^^)
*IT Support

Send a message via AIM to Sinestra Send a message via MSN to Sinestra Send a message via Yahoo to Sinestra
Quote:
It was just badly done IMO. You can go back now and say you saw hints here or there, but really the foundation was never clearly laid anywhere. What, she never had a stream of consciousness and thought about her feelings at any point up until she just blurted it out? It just seemed whacky. Not to mention the relationship with the kid had been progressing, though through fits and starts thanks to Ms psycho pregnancy scare. There was way more foundation for that as a story end then what we got. Or rather, will get since the last chapter hasn't been scanlated yet to my knowledge.
Well also dont forget this manga is heavily culturally based. There are something things int he story that are very uniquely Japanese and a completely different set of standards from the west.
Old 2011-07-22, 05:10   Link #172
henwy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinestra View Post
Well also dont forget this manga is heavily culturally based. There are something things int he story that are very uniquely Japanese and a completely different set of standards from the west.
Yeah, I think we all got that with the having a romantic relationship with your 'daughter' part.
Old 2011-07-22, 07:15   Link #173
Sinestra
ショ ン (^^)
*IT Support

Quote:
Yeah, I think we all got that with the having a romantic relationship with your 'daughter' part.
You really should put that in a spoiler tag not everyone knows the ending.

Spoiler for reply:
Old 2011-07-22, 10:03   Link #174
henwy

Really? I don't recall Rin ever joking about it nor saying anything against dating boys her own age. I read this in a burst over a day or two so it's possible I missed it. Don't suppose you know which chapter or at least what general scene it took place in? As far as I could tell, the only guy her own age she thought was immature was, well, the guy who was immature. If the class president sorta guy had made his move half a year or a year earlier, I'm not sure he would have been shot down.
Old 2011-07-22, 13:28   Link #175
yura`

I don't know, but I'll have to agree with henwy. That's not to say I disagree with Sinestra, but cultural differences notwithstanding, it still doesn't make up for the fact that the setup for this arc was simply just not done very well. Even

Spoiler for Rin:
Old 2011-07-22, 20:54   Link #176
henwy

The Hikaru Genji Plan seems to be an incredibly common theme in a lot of anime and manga. Enough so I'm sort of curious what exactly it is about the Japanese psyche that makes them bend that way. At first I was inclined to just blame it on Genji since it's the only piece of real Japanese literature I have to go on, but more likely it was just tapping the cultural zeitgeist of that idea.

It's also odd that it's in an Asian country like Japan (or is it?). I would have wagered coming at this blind that you would get less Hikaru Genji Plans in an Asian country where filial respect and duty were so prevalent. If you take in a child and raise it, it would seem that filial love would be 'enough' going both ways. In a place where filial love wasn't as strong and ironclad, I would have thought that there would be more of a need to somehow balance the scales with other forms of love/devotion. Or do i have it wrong in that filial responsibility is so strong that you basically have to up the ante no matter what?

Either way, it's also a very common thing in Hikaru Genji Plans that the author has to throw in something somewhere to dilute the blood relationship. You see this in all sorts of anime and manga. That girl they've been calling his 'sister' for 18 volumes? Oh, well she's really in fact his cousin once removed's step daughter. So it's really okay for them to get married in volume 19. I can think of half a dozen examples of this off the top of my head.
Old 2011-07-22, 21:01   Link #177
henwy

I'm not sure I expressed myself very well in the previous post. Let me try again really quick with an example.

I'm Chinese and in the course of my life, my parents have often made comments amounting to that, 'it's just a parent's duty' to do certain things for their children. This often goes beyond the idea of filial responsibility that I would get from my western friends and their parents. It was seen as just a matter of course. So based on that sort of idea, I would think that you wouldn't need anything _more_ necessarily if you did something like what Dai did. Whereas in a culture where filial responsibility weren't so concrete and ingrained, you might indeed need a bit more in return to take on a responsibility like that. Like, maybe Rin came with a large inheritance or the idea that one day she'll pay you back with bow chicka wow wow. (Even if Dai didn't 'want' it, it's still the idea of wish fulfillment and balancing the scales)
Old 2011-07-23, 02:23   Link #178
jedinat

Just read the last chapter. It was okay but I wanted to see Daikichi's family's reactions; the mom and sister. I wanted to see Kouki's mom and Reina's reactions. Why do authors always leave the juicy bits out?!

I wonder what the extra volume will be about. I'd be nice if it fleshed out the ending and wasn't a time skip.
Old 2011-07-23, 02:26   Link #179
topboy
poor man

English translation for last chapter (56) is out, and there will be blood Oops, No, there will be sequel called : Usagi Drop: Bangaihen (start in august).
Old 2011-07-23, 02:27   Link #180
Aesthetic Shampoo

Read the last chapter, and it wasn't as bad as people made it out to be. That was a pretty sweet moment.
Closed Thread