AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > One Piece

Notices

Old 2017-09-21, 04:52   Link #1
marvelB

One Piece - Chapter 879 [manga]

Welcome to the weekly manga discussion thread for One Piece.

Thread GuidelineBriefs
  • One Piece is licensed by Viz, please don't ask for or mention where to find or download the manga.
  • Please do not discuss scanlations, translation groups, etc., etc.
  • Raw requests and offers are not permitted anywhere on this forum.
  • Discuss your expectations of the chapter if it has not been published yet.
  • Posting a synopses or summary is fine (and welcome).
  • Be polite to your fellow forum members.
  • Please try to keep the discussion on topic.
  • Spoilers will not be policed in this thread, so if you haven't read the chapter yet, just stay out if you don't want to read spoilers.
Remember that the manga is licensed, do not post significant parts of the chapter. This includes images, scripts and direct translations of the manga. Summaries are OK, crops of pictures are OK (only if you need to illustrate your point) but this is it.

Okay, a few spoiler pics are out for now, thanks to AP's Redon:

-Chapter title is "Katakuri of Big Mom's Three Sweet Commanders". Splash ministory shows Sai beaten up by his ex-fiance after canceling their wedding, heh.

-Out at sea, Jinbei tells the others to not be disheartened by Pedro's sacrifice. An angry Brooke asks him how he can give such a cold speech, especially when he knew Pedro the least. The whale shark man responds that this was a result of them being pushed against a wall, as this is that kind of place. He himself is at least prepared to risk his life at anytime. Thus, Pedro's gamble was also his victory....!!!

-Still, our heroes aren't out of the woods yet, as they're still within Big Mom's territory, and the empress' forces are hot on their tail! Big Mom herself is even able to walk on the ocean with the assistance of Perospero's ability! Speaking of Peros, he's forced to replace his lost arm with a prosthetic made of candy, and swears revenge on the enemies who reduced him to such a state. Oddly though, in Big Mom's mad pursuit of the Straw-Hats, she left behind Zeus and Prometheus.

-Meanwhile, during Sanji's trip to Chocolate Town, Pudding explains that Lola was the Minister of Chocolate, thus making her an expert chocolate maker. Also, for some reason, Pudding is rolled up inside the carpet while still switching between her good and evil sides, lol. Soon, they reach Chocolate Town.

-Meanwhile, in the Mirror World, Luffy is struggling against Katakuri. For every technique our rubber hero throws at him, Katakuri can not only match it, but even improve upon them! At the end, they both strike each other with an Elephant Gun, but Katakuri's is notably bigger and more powerful....!!!!

Images
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

Last edited by marvelB; 2017-09-22 at 08:56.
marvelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-09-21, 11:48   Link #2
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Katakuri is definitely impressive. That elephant gun is huge and seems to pack quite a punch.

I don't think Luffy will be able to beat him with Gear 4. Unless he has another trump card he didn't show until now for some reason, this will probably be the fight that will awaken his devil fruit.
Old 2017-09-21, 17:06   Link #3
Gintokifan22
Gintoki fan

No!!! I didn't want to see Sanji bake a cake on screen, of all things.

I was really hoping the chapter would focus on the fight, boo!!

Luffy needs to awaken his awakening soon, kind of like how they had that slow build up to Luffy having King Haki, same thing could happen with this.

Pairings I support : Ed x winry. Ash x Serena. Endou x Natsumi. Ginta x Dorothy fan. Luffy x Hancock. Akito x Yurika fan. Gintoki x Tysuki. Boruto X Sumire.
Gintokifan22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-09-21, 23:58   Link #4
Rainbowman

Didn't expect Katakuri to also have an elephant gun attack and a bigger one at that.
Rainbowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-09-22, 09:06   Link #5
marvelB

Full chapter's out, so I updated the summary accordingly! Poor Sai, lol.

Anyway, goddamn, that Perospero is one persistent S.O.B.! Got his freakin' arm blown off, yet still literally creating an entire ocean of candy for Big Mom to walk on.... he's really deserving of that 700 million bounty, IMO. Carrot was certainly glaring daggers at him, but I doubt she's strong enough to finish him off. Maybe if she teamed up with Jinbei, though....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainbowman View Post
Didn't expect Katakuri to also have an elephant gun attack and a bigger one at that.
Not just Elephant Gun, Katakuri's pretty much countering ALL of Luffy's techniques with stronger versions of them. It certainly shows how powerful an enemy with a billion+ bounty truly is. I guess like people have been saying before, Luffy may need to start utilizing DF Awakening if he intends to win this fight (or at least come up with some other unorthodox method of combat).....
marvelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-09-22, 10:49   Link #6
khoa1708
www.kh0a.net

super saiyan luffy soon
Old 2017-09-22, 11:29   Link #7
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Similarities between Katakuri and Luffy's DFs had been pointed out within the story, but I didn't think Oda would take it this far. Rather interesting.
Old 2017-09-22, 11:58   Link #8
~Yami~
a random Indonesian otaku

I can't see any winning chance for Luffy...
Dogtooth is really tough
~Yami~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-09-22, 11:59   Link #9
P_Dezz

just went back to compare Jacks and Katakuris bounties. Katakuri is slightly higher. i wonder why zeus isnt carrying BM anymore? Ceasar is probably going to get back into the mix at some point here, there's no way he can leave the territory on his own, but then again we dont exactly know his flight limitations.
P_Dezz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-09-22, 15:36   Link #10
ZaRRoC

the only thing katakuri hasnt shown is something similar to gear 4th i think that is the reason why he wants to kill luffy. maybe he sees that as a threat. i am not sure if his mochi mochi can inflate as well. it can get big but not sure about the elasticity of it.
i dont know why but i have a feeling there is going to be a new straw hat that i wont like. and i think its either pudding or carrot lol
ZaRRoC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-09-22, 17:37   Link #11
itachi-san314

What are the chances that Sanji will win over Big Mom with his cooking while Dogtooth and Luffy are still fighting? If they are no longer enemies, Dogtooth would likely become Luffy's new trainer and teach him DF Awakening. Just throwing that possibility out there. Since they are so similar, Luffy will be learning from him one way or another.

And then both forces would take on Kaidou together. Sanji's cooking will be so good, who knows what Big Mom will do for it?

Also, it might be a huge letdown for some readers, but the story might cut to the Zoro, Kaidou timeline soon without resolving WCI. It makes sense if both stories are going to culminate in Luffy and Big Mom taking on Kaidou together.

And Pudding really does have MPD? Come on...
itachi-san314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-09-22, 17:45   Link #12
Theia_Loki

Quote:
Originally Posted by itachi-san314 View Post
What are the chances that Sanji will win over Big Mom with his cooking while Dogtooth and Luffy are still fighting? If they are no longer enemies, Dogtooth would likely become Luffy's new trainer and teach him DF Awakening. Just throwing that possibility out there. Since they are so similar, Luffy will be learning from him one way or another.
Even though Luffy already:
1) ruined Big Mom's Wedding Cake (which she didn't get to eat)
2) took down one of her Sweet Commanders (Cracker, the jerk of a troll)
3) caused her castle to collapse (indirectly)
4) ruined her plan to assassinate the Vinsmokes (again, indirectly)
5) allied himself with someone that tried to kill her
6) associated with two daughters that she by now wants dead
7) declared he was going to come back after her after he deals with Kaidou

Even if Big Mom comes to her senses and stops, that doesn't mean she won't still want him and his friends dead.
Theia_Loki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-09-22, 18:04   Link #13
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Yeah, no way in hell an alliance with Big Mom is happening. She may love sweets, but not to the point of being able to forgive Luffy for everything he did. We in fact know she is very unforgiving. Luffy himself probably wouldn't even want such an alliance anyway. The best they can hope for is for the cake to be so good it makes her faint and enables them to escape.

I do think Luffy will learn from Katakuri, but it'll be through their fight.
Old 2017-09-22, 18:07   Link #14
Tommy
Mr. Prince

Man both parties look to be in a real bind. I feel like Jinbei should really be able to leverage his advantage in the water and take out some ships or maybe take out Perospero. As for Luffy, he's going to have to awaken his Devil Friut or somehow use the environment to his advantage. The fight kind of reminds me of When Luffy fought Enel and his mantra, he's gonna have to come up with a random attack again to counter that (maybe the mirrors will help him with that).
Tommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-09-23, 03:44   Link #15
The Small One

Quote:
Originally Posted by itachi-san314 View Post
What are the chances that Sanji will win over Big Mom with his cooking while Dogtooth and Luffy are still fighting? If they are no longer enemies, Dogtooth would likely become Luffy's new trainer and teach him DF Awakening.
Does Katakuri know about Awakening?
My theory is that he doesn't and Luffy tappening into awakening will give him the power boost necessary to topple Katakuri.
The Small One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-09-23, 10:57   Link #16
itachi-san314

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theia_Loki View Post
Even if Big Mom comes to her senses and stops, that doesn't mean she won't still want him and his friends dead.
I agree that that is more likely to happen. I just think it's a possible big twist in the story if they somehow made amends or work together. The only thing outside of a deus ex machina rescue that can save them is Sanji's cooking, so it really depends on Big Mom's mood after that. She's going to want some kind of alliance so she can keep eating Sanji's cooking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
I do think Luffy will learn from Katakuri, but it'll be through their fight.
Interestingly enough, Dogtooth looks like he might be a D as well. No proof yet of course.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Small One View Post
Does Katakuri know about Awakening?
My theory is that he doesn't and Luffy tappening into awakening will give him the power boost necessary to topple Katakuri.
My hunch is that he does, but I don't think we know for certain yet. I also think your post is a possibility. Maybe the mirror world will actually play a part in that learning process since Luffy can pretty much do anything and not risk hurting a friend in there.
itachi-san314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-09-24, 17:24   Link #17
grey_1960
Annie Leonhart

Chapter 879
That was a good chapter but Dogtooth is going down. Luffy in my opinion won't need to use gear 4 at all if it goes the way i think it will. If I were Luffy I would manipulate one specific ability of Brulee's and that is the mirror ability to copy one's self in the image of the individual in exact reflection. By doing this I would have complete control over Dogtooth and I would be able to match him power for power just like chapter 831 when Luffy was copied. Then I would find a mirror that leads to water or marine headquarters and drop him right through that mirror. Now there maybe a mirror near the cake sanji plans on making, so maybe drop him in that and have Big mama accidentally eat his own son.

Has for Jimbi I like attitude and he is pretty mature, for Brooks I am surprised the way he is acting, he older then Jimbi by decades. I figured he would be more mature and understanding seeing has he lost his own crew before he joined Luffy's.

Finally has for Dogtooth he seems pretty impressive but Daflamingo has done worse to Luffy.

Last edited by grey_1960; 2017-09-24 at 17:38.
grey_1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-09-24, 18:47   Link #18
P_Dezz

Quote:
Originally Posted by grey_1960 View Post
Chapter 879
That was a good chapter but Dogtooth is going down. Luffy in my opinion won't need to use gear 4 at all if it goes the way i think it will. If I were Luffy I would manipulate one specific ability of Brulee's and that is the mirror ability to copy one's self in the image of the individual in exact reflection. By doing this I would have complete control over Dogtooth and I would be able to match him power for power just like chapter 831 when Luffy was copied. Then I would find a mirror that leads to water or marine headquarters and drop him right through that mirror. Now there maybe a mirror near the cake sanji plans on making, so maybe drop him in that and have Big mama accidentally eat his own son.

Finally has for Dogtooth he seems pretty impressive but Daflamingo has done worse to Luffy.
How's is he going to do that when she's incapacitated? Dogtooth would see what Luffy is planning a mile away. I disagree with your Doflamingo ascertion, he was able to nullify a lot of Luffy's attacks but didn't really do any serious damage to Luffy until he did the wing flap move where he stabbed Luffy over again in the stomach. And remember Gear 2nd Luffy actually did have a speed advantage on Doflamingo but he stated to Luffy that the hits didn't do much damage to him.
P_Dezz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-09-25, 01:08   Link #19
grey_1960
Annie Leonhart

^"Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me"
Hey so far Luffy's been able to manipulate her abilities twice so far. Being incapacitated is part of the story line. Has for Dogtooth he didn't see what happened when Luffy pulled him into the mirror world did he? Remember seeing the future and being able to react to it is two different things and this is not Luffy's first battle with a powerful mantra user (Enel). Third every time Luffy uses Brulee he throws Dogtooth for a loop. Example all the copies of Luffy at the wedding party and pulling Dogtooth into the mirror world. If it worked 2 times why now go for the third time?

Bounty?
Details details, you know i have asked this question before, but what will you say or do if Daflmaningo's bounty is over 1 billion?
grey_1960 is offline   Reply With Quote