AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > Sports & Entertainment

Notices

Old 2015-10-04, 09:21   Link #1
oompa loompa

Narcos

Surprised I haven't seen a thread about this show, I think it's a winner.

' Imagine you were born in a poor family, in a poor country. And by the time you were 28 years old you had so much money you can't even count it. '

It's about the one and only Pablo Escobar, one of the most notorious drug lords who ever lived.

IMDB : 9.1/10, 35,647 votes

I'd like this thread to be primarily about the show, but also about the parts that have been exaggerated or entirely left out from his life. It's also a good place to discuss the the ongoing war on drugs, the current situation in Colombia in particular, and last, but not least, South American accents . I thought that these various topics of discussion merited a separate thread, which is why I haven't simply written a review.

So let me begin with my take on the show, and Pablos story:

Although the narration is obviously and deliberately biased, I think they do well to portray Pablo as more than just a villain. As for the actual story, I find it obviously horrifying, but also perversely inspirational. Coming from a relatively modest background and country myself, I know I've asked myself 'How dirty would I get my hands to make that much money? Pretty fucking dirty if it would work' . I would also like to point out that I know ( I really do ) the show paints Colombia in an extremely bad light, particularly after watching Slumdog Millionaire as an Indian dude. However, since the story is essentially told from the DEA agents point of view, it's important to remember that the show is deliberately biased.

Secondly, I would really like to hear the opinion of some South Americans who watched the show. Is Wagner Mouras Colombian accent really that awful? I thought he acted well, but I've heard to native speakers it sounds downright awful.

Thoughts guys?

Last edited by oompa loompa; 2015-10-04 at 09:35.
oompa loompa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-10-04, 13:06   Link #2
Syndiciate

Ah you heard about the accent issue Columbians had? :P Yes they were very upset about a Mexican actor portraying Pablo, apparently he was terrible.

I think the show is remarkably well paced and a supremely addictive watch. I've managed to tear myself away and put it to the side for the time being but all in all its a very good show.

Last edited by Syndiciate; 2015-10-05 at 10:10.
Syndiciate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-10-05, 01:05   Link #3
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syndiciate View Post
Ah you heard about the accent issue Columbians had? :P Yes they were very upset about a Mexican actor portraying Pablo, apparently he was terrible.

I think the show is remarkably well placed and a supremely addictive watched. I've managed to tear myself away and put it to the side for the time being but all in all its a very good show.
Correction. The actor who plays Pablo is Brazilian Wagner Moura aka Captain Nascimento from the Elite Squad films. From what i read, Wagner was learning Spanish before filming began, hence the accent.
Old 2015-10-05, 10:10   Link #4
Syndiciate

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTerrorist View Post
Correction. The actor who plays Pablo is Brazilian Wagner Moura aka Captain Nascimento from the Elite Squad films. From what i read, Wagner was learning Spanish before filming began, hence the accent.
Apologies. I read that he had a heavy Mexican accent in an article so I just assumed.
Old 2015-10-05, 11:03   Link #5
oompa loompa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syndiciate View Post
Apologies. I read that he had a heavy Mexican accent in an article so I just assumed.
You weren't entirely wrong, Raúl Méndez Martínez, the actor who plays president Gaviria, is in fact a Mexican actor. Juan Pablo Raba, the actor who plays Gustavo, is (as far as I know) the only major character played by a Colombian actor. Unfortunately, my uninitiated ears couldn't really make the difference between the different South American accents.
oompa loompa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-10-06, 01:36   Link #6
Syndiciate

Quote:
Originally Posted by oompa loompa View Post
You weren't entirely wrong, Raúl Méndez Martínez, the actor who plays president Gaviria, is in fact a Mexican actor. Juan Pablo Raba, the actor who plays Gustavo, is (as far as I know) the only major character played by a Colombian actor. Unfortunately, my uninitiated ears couldn't really make the difference between the different South American accents.
Same. It's like anime is Japanese. I can't tell if the voice actors are sh!t or not. :P
Old 2015-10-08, 22:22   Link #7
SuitUp
¡Gracias Totales!

Quote:
Although the narration is obviously and deliberately biased, I think they do well to portray Pablo as more than just a villain.
That's because he was more than a villain, guy wasn't only a super rich and cruel druglord, but also was some kind of saint patron for poor people, building schools, football fields and whole neighborhoods for dirt poor people, guy was so popular among the poor that a shitton of people went to his funeral...