AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2012-02-06, 06:18   Link #1
Kimidori
The Opened Ultimate Gate

Trauma Center Series

I surprised that a series filled with anime style artworks and have visual novel storytelling like this did not even get a single thread in this forum.

Trauma Center, known in Japan as Chōshittō Kadukeusu (超執刀カドゥケウス?, lit. "Super Surgical Operation Caduceus"), is a series of simulation/visual novel games in which players assume the role of a surgeon in a fictional hospital setting to strive to save their patients from a pathological condition such as disease or injury using surgical instruments, suturing and the "Healing Touch", a fictional superhuman ability which, according to Greek mythology, descended from Asclepius, the god of medicine. A recurring theme throughout the series is the protagonist's trials of treating bioterrorism victims. These games are designed to make use of the Nintendo DS' touch screen and the Wii's Motion sensing and pointing features, being exclusively released on those systems.

The first, second and fourth games feature many of the same characters, and are focused around Dr. Derek Stiles. The third game, set ten years after the end of the first game, introduces new protagonists, Markus Vaughn and Valerie Blaylock, as well as other characters. The fifth game features an almost entire new cast of characters and other medical procedures are included like diagnostics, E.M.T. and forensics.

Trauma Center: Under the Knife

Under the Knife is set in the year 2018, where medical technology has advanced such that effective treatments for previously incurable diseases, such as AIDS and cancer, are available The story is told to the player via dialogue between the characters, either presented in cutscenes or during operation.

The player assumes the role of Derek Stiles, a doctor at Hope Hospital. After the near-death of a patient due to his negligence, he encounters the scene of a car crash and ends up working on a patient with incredibly severe injuries to the heart. Just as it seems like the patient is done for, a power within Derek is unlocked, and miraculously saves the patient. The power emerges once more, and Derek saves another patient when a seemingly routine operation gets dangerously out of hand. His superiors recognize the ability. They tell him that his power is said to be that of a descendant of the Greek god of medicine, Asclepius, and his gift is known by the same name, though is more frequently referred to as the Healing Touch. He practices his use of the ability, though is left weakened after forcing the power to activate under his own will. After performing another operation, Derek blacks out for a short period of time. Dr. Kasal advises Derek to avoid using the ability due to the toll it takes on his body, and Director Hoffman tells him to outright turn his back on the ability, saying that the responsibility is too great for him to handle. After saving Linda Reid, a teen with a strange parasite (eventually known as Kyriaki), he learns of a new man made disease known as GUILT, which is distributed by a medical-terrorist organization known as Delphi.

Trauma Center: Second Opinion

Trauma Center: Second Opinion is a remake of the game Trauma Center: Under the Knife for the Nintendo DS, although its graphics and mechanics were completely redone to take advantage of the Wii's motion-sensing controls. The player takes control of Doctors Derek Stiles and Nozomi Weaver who is a new addition to Second Opinion. The game also features more voice acting than the original, difficulty levels, a new "Z" chapter that focuses on Doctor Weaver, and a sixth chapter that is different that takes place after the original chapter.

Trauma Center: New Blood

Trauma Center: New Blood takes place seven years after the events of Trauma Center: Under the Knife 2, and follows doctors Markus Vaughn and Valerie Blaylock, two surgeons with the "Healing Touch" ability who worked at the Concordia Medical Institute in Los Angeles. Dr. Vaughn moves over to Montgomery Memorial hospital in Alaska and is followed by Dr. Blaylock. While there, the duo treat a former patient of Dr. Vaughn's, Elena Salazar. With the Montgomery Memorial hospital closing down, the director, Miles Hoover, tells Vaughn and Blaylock to return to Concordia. Vaughn and Blaylock agree, and, with Elena joining them as their nurse, head to Concordia. Once there, they learn from Lloyd Wilkens, an old acquaintance of Markus's, about a new and mysterious parasite called Stigma.

Trauma Center: Under the Knife 2

Dr. Derek Stiles, the protagonist, and his nurse, Angie Thompson, travel to the African nation of Costigar to help out at one of their hospitals. While there, they begin to research a new fever, which becomes serious enough for Derek to use the Healing Touch on a patient. Soon after this, Derek and Angie are called back to the Caduceus headquarters, Derek’s medical organization, to investigate a new GUILT-related disease tentatively called Post-GUILT Syndrome.

Trauma Team

Trauma Team, known in Japan as Hospital.: 6 Doctors (HOSPITAL.: 6人の医師?) is a 2010 medical simulation video game developed by Atlus for the Wii console, and the fifth game in the Trauma Center series.

The game features six fields of medicine. Throughout the game, players will have the opportunity to play as a general surgeon, diagnostician, emergency medical technician, orthopedic surgeon, medical examiner, and endoscopy surgeon.

The setting of this game presumably takes place in 2020. The main story progresses without many complications, as seemingly ordinary procedures are carried out, regular diseases are discovered, and ordinary cases are solved. However, over the course of the game, unusual cases are found, like strange foci and moving bruises appearing in the patient. At the same time, Naomi's cases get more and more complex as the killers and victims become associated with the name "Rosalia". This doesn't become a problem until all chapters are finished, and the seventh chapter is unlocked: Patient Zero.

The chaos begins one day with a woman coming out of a subway train, who suddenly collapses. This is when the Rosalia Virus begins to strike. Maria begins stabilizing patients at the stop. Gabriel is ordered to diagnose a patient by a government official, and finds it to be a form of viral hemorrhagic fever.

Last edited by Kimidori; 2014-03-08 at 06:20.
Kimidori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-06, 06:45   Link #2
SOGESNAKE
NEW WORLD BABY~!

Send a message via MSN to SOGESNAKE
Yeah, I've really only played abit into Under the Knife, but what really got me into the series was Trauma Team..... Maria Torres and all~
Old 2012-02-06, 21:35   Link #3
DingoEnderZOE2

Send a message via AIM to DingoEnderZOE2
The Trauma center series is AWESOME. I own all of the games in the series, and I have to say the Wii versions of the games were pretty well done.

My favorite of the series are Second Opinion and Trauma Team. New Blood just didn't grab me like the others for some odd reason.....
Anime evaluating:None
Manga in progress:None at the moment
DingoEnderZOE2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-08, 03:31   Link #4
Same_Shark

I love this series! I'm REALLY hoping the studio hasn't given up on this series. I like being able to be a doctor and help people, but without the dangers of real life situations.
Same_Shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-08, 14:18   Link #5
darkchibi07

Send a message via AIM to darkchibi07 Send a message via MSN to darkchibi07
Quote:
Originally Posted by Same_Shark View Post
I love this series! I'm REALLY hoping the studio hasn't given up on this series. I like being able to be a doctor and help people, but without the dangers of real life situations.
In a way, I can definitely see this series taking advantage of the WiiU's controller.
Old 2012-02-08, 14:58   Link #6
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
I only ever played the first game and appreciated the challenge up until a stage I found required me to basically have really good luck...something I completely lack. It's near the end of the game where you have to deal with that one virus that can only be beaten when the two opposite colors merge together, but if two of the same color happen to connect it does tremendous damage. I found myself having to sit back and just hope to god that the two right colors would match up so that I could actually get to work and just found it to be an example of frustratingly bad mission design that I see in a lot of Japanese games where the emphasis is on luck and not on actual skill. After something like 40 attempts I finally got lucky and was allowed (that's how I put it at least) to actually clear the mission and then basically breezed through the rest of the game in a little under an hour, but that was the last time I had any desire to play the game or the series.

Sadly Trauma Center ended up being yet another example of my biggest pet peeve in video games which is of course the dreaded luck based mission. It was only one of them, but boy did it just completely kill a game I'd been enjoying for the most part up to that point. Just have very little patience for that sort of thing.
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-08, 20:13   Link #7
Shadow5YA

Is the artist the same guy who does the the Persona series? The art looks similar.
Shadow5YA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-08, 21:31   Link #8
DingoEnderZOE2

Send a message via AIM to DingoEnderZOE2
Well Atlus made trauma Center and they also made the Persona Series and they also made Catherine. Sooooo yeah I do think from Trauma Center Second Opinion the Character Designs were by the same guy who worked on the Persona series.
Anime evaluating:None
Manga in progress:None at the moment
DingoEnderZOE2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-08, 23:40   Link #9
Ledgem
Love Yourself

I played through the first, and some of the second (for DS). While I like the prospect of it, I guess I had been hoping for something a little more clinical and realistic. It quickly began to feel like a time management/reaction type of game to me, and wasn't as fun or interesting as I'd hoped. I couldn't bring myself to get past the first few operations in the second game. If I remember right, there were some bonus "challenge" missions in the first one, too... I didn't attempt them.

The Wii games look somewhat more engaging, although the gameplay is probably more or less the same. Maybe some day if I get a Wii, I'll try one of them out.
Old 2012-02-09, 00:48   Link #10
Kimidori
The Opened Ultimate Gate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Same_Shark View Post
The series sold badly in japan but it was more successful in the USA, hope that success convince Atlus continue the series.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin Sama View Post
I only ever played the first game and appreciated the challenge up until a stage I found required me to basically have really good luck...something I completely lack. It's near the end of the game where you have to deal with that one virus that can only be beaten when the two opposite colors merge together, but if two of the same color happen to connect it does tremendous damage. I found myself having to sit back and just hope to god that the two right colors would match up so that I could actually get to work and just found it to be an example of frustratingly bad mission design that I see in a lot of Japanese games where the emphasis is on luck and not on actual skill. After something like 40 attempts I finally got lucky and was allowed (that's how I put it at least) to actually clear the mission and then basically breezed through the rest of the game in a little under an hour, but that was the last time I had any desire to play the game or the series.

Sadly Trauma Center ended up being yet another example of my biggest pet peeve in video games which is of course the dreaded luck based mission. It was only one of them, but boy did it just completely kill a game I'd been enjoying for the most part up to that point. Just have very little patience for that sort of thing.
two opposite colors merge together... you mean Deftera? if it the first time you met them then you just played 2/5 of the game
these guy, right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ledgem View Post
I played through the first, and some of the second (for DS). While I like the prospect of it, I guess I had been hoping for something a little more clinical and realistic. It quickly began to feel like a time management/reaction type of game to me, and wasn't as fun or interesting as I'd hoped. I couldn't bring myself to get past the first few operations in the second game. If I remember right, there were some bonus "challenge" missions in the first one, too... I didn't attempt them.

The Wii games look somewhat more engaging, although the gameplay is probably more or less the same. Maybe some day if I get a Wii, I'll try one of them out.
I think you should play Trauma Team, it not just surgery any more but 6 medical field: Surgery, Paramedic, Diagnostic, Forensic, Orthopedic and Endoscopy. the operation are much more realistic too.

Last edited by Kimidori; 2014-03-08 at 06:19.
Kimidori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-10, 02:26   Link #11
Jade Magatama
その目、だれの目?

I'm curious on your orders on the Trauma viruses. Mine would go something like this:

Spoiler for Spoilers for entire series:
Jade Magatama is offline   Reply With Quote