AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2010-06-19, 11:04   Link #21
Benoit
Bishoujo Game Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaisos Erranon
If you're talking about the rupee thing in TP, that's a glitch they never got around to fixing.
That's only one of the instances of patronising. What I'm talking about has plagued every game of the series ever since Link's Awakening. For example, if you catch a fairy, the game tells you again and again how to use it. Another example: you find a map of the area, and the game tells you again how to use it.

Now, if the "rupee thing" in Twilight Princess was a glitch, I have to wonder why they didn't fix that for the GameCube release, which was released later than the Wii version.
Old 2010-06-19, 13:47   Link #22
ChainLegacy
廉頗

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZGoten View Post
I think you're confusing atmoshpere with story, which was basically "Find all the magic ammulettes and save the day," no twists or turns, nothing out of the ordinary, except for Shiek's real idendity which was fairly obvious. I really think that Zelda is one of the greatest video game series, but storywise it just is nothing special.
That's because the two are pretty intertwined. If you want a Final Fantasy-like story, you generally sacrifice some of the mysterious/ambiguous charm that OoT had. There are different types of stories. Narrative, descriptive tales that focus on atmosphere and plot are the type Zelda specializes in. I like the simplicity, the lack of intricate details because it contributes to the ambiance.

Besides, twists and turns are generally considered to be lower on the scale of literary technique, so I don't think you're judging by the right criterion.
ChainLegacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-04, 18:07   Link #23
shiroi mahotsukai
Under Death by College
*Author

I loved the story in OoT it had me glued to my seat for the entire run. This looks to be something similar on the outside but we'll have to wait and see what's on the inside. It's status as a prequel to OoT worries me somewhat though. Can't say why it just does.
"There are no winners or losers, there are only the living and the dead."
shiroi mahotsukai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-09, 19:27   Link #24
GreatTeacherKen

An English translated version of the intro has been posted. It, and especially the music accompanying it, is awesome.

GreatTeacherKen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-09, 22:41   Link #25
Kudryavka

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiroi mahotsukai View Post
I loved the story in OoT it had me glued to my seat for the entire run. This looks to be something similar on the outside but we'll have to wait and see what's on the inside. It's status as a prequel to OoT worries me somewhat though. Can't say why it just does.
I'm kinda feeling that too, makes me feel like they're going to end up retconning something yet again.

What am I talking about, I really shouldn't be playing Zelda for awesome perfect multi-installment story. That's what Kingdom Hearts is for lol
Kudryavka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-13, 07:15   Link #26
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Unless we see something in the game that connects it as a prequel to OOT, then i'm just going to ignore what's been said. I'm not at a point where i'll let the order of the franchise start to bug me.
Old 2011-10-13, 10:57   Link #27
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author

If the game deals with the creation of the Master Sword, then yes, it's a prequel to OOT, which IIRC is supposed to be the "first" in the timeline until this game, if you don't include the Minish Cap/Four Sword storyline as a prequel.
Old 2011-10-13, 11:53   Link #28
Puddingman

Looks pretty cool. Seems to make full use of the Wii controls, can't say I'm a fan of them, never played Wii often though. But if it's gonna be on the Wii then it's a good consideration to have.

Eh the only thing I have with the Zelda series is how they reuse a lot of the same items, dungeons, archetypes and things like that. I played Link to the Past first, and every game coming afterwards seemed like a remake of that, which can be cool. I guess other series recycle things too though. And In Zelda it does make it fun to see a new conception of the Water Dungeon, or Lake Hylia or something.

With that said, I'll probably check it out when they come out with the next gen systems, so that this game and Wii will be really cheap lol. That's one thing I love about still playing SNES games; when I play PS2 games for the first time become a nice treat.
Old 2011-10-13, 20:41   Link #29
Shadow5YA

People are still trying to figure out a continuity for Zelda? Oh boy...
Shadow5YA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-13, 22:16   Link #30
GreatTeacherKen

On the timeline issue, I have to agree with James Rolfe's (AVGN) opinion on it, which is basically just play the games and don't worry about it. Besides the games work perfectly well stand alone anyway.
GreatTeacherKen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-13, 22:29   Link #31
Kudryavka

IIRC Nintendo specifically said that there's no hardcore continuity in the series a while ago. It's still fun to try to piece the stories together, I admit; but to do so even close to perfectly is impossible, since Zelda wasn't originally made to be a timeline series. Amazingly annoying retcon ensues.

Doesn't mean it's not allowed at all, as long as you don't get your panties in a knot over it.

btw, what I don't get is why people who care about timelines still largely consider OoT the first. Doesn't Minish Cap "explain" why Link wears his green hat, and the Kokiri were inspired by that or something? (don't hold me against this, I haven't played either of them yet, only read a lot about).

Last edited by Kudryavka; 2011-10-13 at 22:39.
Old 2011-10-13, 22:34   Link #32
Kyero Fox
Tastes Cloudy

Whats so "Oh boy" about it?

Creation of the Master Sword? = Yea, prequal of some kind.
Old 2011-10-13, 22:59   Link #33
Kudryavka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyero Fox View Post
Whats so "Oh boy" about it?

Creation of the Master Sword? = Yea, prequal of some kind.
Because Zelda timeline is rather annoying for people who'd rather not think about it.
Old 2011-10-13, 23:23   Link #34
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author

Doesn't change the fact that since this is where the Master Sword is first created, this becomes a prequel to Ocarina of Time, A Link to the Past, The Wind Waker, and Twilight Princess, so on and so forth, which already had the Master Sword created some time ago.

As for Minish Cap, well, I figure it and the Four Sword series to be a different continuity altogether, what with the completely different origins for Ganon and such. As messy as the timeline is, Minish Cap, Four Swords, and Four Sword Adventures just don't fit in with the others at all.

And IIRC it was confirmed via word of god that after OoT, the timeline split, with one time going to Wind Waker and its sequels, and the other going to Twilight Princess. And given the elements in the older games and the elements in the Wind Waker series, that likely puts those games on the Twilight Princess timeline from OoT.
Old 2011-10-13, 23:32   Link #35
Kudryavka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rising Dragon View Post
Doesn't change the fact that since this is where the Master Sword is first created, this becomes a prequel to Ocarina of Time, A Link to the Past, The Wind Waker, and Twilight Princess, so on and so forth, which already had the Master Sword created some time ago.

As for Minish Cap, well, I figure it and the Four Sword series to be a different continuity altogether, what with the completely different origins for Ganon and such. As messy as the timeline is, Minish Cap, Four Swords, and Four Sword Adventures just don't fit in with the others at all.

And IIRC it was confirmed via word of god that after OoT, the timeline split, with one time going to Wind Waker and its sequels, and the other going to Twilight Princess. And given the elements in the older games and the elements in the Wind Waker series, that likely puts those games on the Twilight Princess timeline from OoT.
Yeah, I know about the OoT time split, and it makes complete sense. When I said hardcore, I meant like a perfect railroad track that has all the games lined up in a neat row, with no retcon.

But still, where the heck would the old school NES games fit? I've seen some people throw them after the Child ending in OoT as an afterthought, but no evidence.
Old 2011-10-14, 01:30   Link #36
Imair
Trickster.

ahh pants?!?!? no more dress for linky :'(

I can't wait for Skyward sword
I bet it's going to be great
giving that it takes like 9 years for them to make it...
-its just taking soo long @_@-
Old 2011-10-14, 01:32   Link #37
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Komari View Post
Yeah, I know about the OoT time split, and it makes complete sense. When I said hardcore, I meant like a perfect railroad track that has all the games lined up in a neat row, with no retcon.

But still, where the heck would the old school NES games fit? I've seen some people throw them after the Child ending in OoT as an afterthought, but no evidence.
Back when it was just Zelda 1 to Majora's Mask, the official timeline from what I remember was OoT > MM > aLttP > LA > LoZ > Z2.

And yeah, there's no way you can get a perfect timeline with no retcons after Wind Waker and Twilight Princess. I'm still certain that Minish Cap through Four Swords Adventures is its own separate continuity, kinda like how Mega Man Classic through Legends and Battle Network/Star Force are separate continuities.

That said, even with a perfect railroad of timelines, Skyward Sword would still be chronologically first.
Old 2011-10-14, 16:16   Link #38
Benoit
Bishoujo Game Enthusiast

There is more than one timeline, and I'm not just talking of the timeline split that Ocarina of Time created. Skyward Sword is the prequel to one set of games that belong to one timeline.

Timelines:
  • The Legend of Zelda -> Adventure of Link
  • A Link to the Past -> Link's Awakening
  • Ocarina of Time -> Wind Waker -> Phantom Hourglass -> Spirit Tracks
  • Ocarina of Time -> Twilight Princess
No idea where to put the Oracle and the Vaati/Four Swords games.
Old 2011-10-14, 19:01   Link #39
Kyero Fox
Tastes Cloudy

the only official sequal to a certain zelda game is OOC -> MM i belive.
Old 2011-10-14, 19:43   Link #40
Kudryavka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyero Fox View Post
the only official sequal to a certain zelda game is OOC -> MM i belive.
Adventure of Link is a direct sequel to Zelda I, hence the title Zelda II. It also stars the same Link as the game before it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imair View Post
ahh pants?!?!? no more dress for linky :'(
I know right? imo he's hottest w/o pants, or at the very least tights.

Tags
adventure, fantasy