AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Umineko

Notices

Old 2010-02-28, 18:46   Link #6281
Kitsu
The unlucky one

That's why I said it isn't nessecary valid. Also the case in which Battler was said to take after Asumo where not about looks but behaviour, in Jessica's case it was only about looks.
Old 2010-02-28, 18:52   Link #6282
Judoh
Mystery buff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marion View Post
It's highly unlikely that Jessica was adopted, otherwise I doubt Natsuhi would love her as much as she does.
Well...I never saw Natsuhi as a loving parent, but that's just me. I always thought she was a little demanding. Kind of like one those sports parents that want their kids to be just like they envision them to be.
Judoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-28, 18:57   Link #6283
Tjfarmer
I'm almost there!

Send a message via AIM to Tjfarmer
Natsuhi is a loving parent.

She's just TOO loving to the point she's strict and harsh about raising her daughter correctly. Kinda obsessive over it XD But it took her so long to get pregnant and have Jessica, so of coruse she'd want a perfect daughter after all that time.
Tjfarmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-28, 19:04   Link #6284
Kitsu
The unlucky one

But I think Natsuhi went a bit overboard ... I mean lockiong your child in a closet? I know that Natsuhi actually loves her daughter but it was still a bit harsh.
Old 2010-02-28, 19:08   Link #6285
Tjfarmer
I'm almost there!

Send a message via AIM to Tjfarmer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitsu View Post
But I think Natsuhi went a bit overboard ... I mean lockiong your child in a closet? I know that Natsuhi actually loves her daughter but it was still a bit harsh.
I think this ties in well to what Pinguma said....

Quote:
She may secretly be a lesbo~

But ya, locking Jessica in a closet isn't a good thing.
Tjfarmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-28, 19:16   Link #6286
Kitsu
The unlucky one

Quote:
But ya, locking Jessica in a closet isn't a good thing.
Yes. she might come out if it

On a more serious note
Am I the only one that sees a similarity between the behaviour of Natsuhi when she goes into hiding in Episode 5 and Jessica during her test in Episode 4?
Both walk into a room andare really wary. Both first lock the door and then unlock it because it would be against the rules. I don#t really know what to do with it but it kinda struck me...
Old 2010-02-28, 19:21   Link #6287
luckyssol

Quote:
When I think of Kshannontrice the first question that comes to my mind was, why create Kanon?
I've heard several theories and most were just the same...
Shannon+Rape+Kinzo=Kanon
But this surprisingly doesn't work at all
Spoiler for Episode 6:

Not to mention that except Beatrice noone ever mentions something about "rape" (Beato implied S&M I think, not rape)
So there has to be a different reason which I still don't quite get.

About Erika's existence and Shkannon
Spoiler for EPisode 6 "utterly crack"-theory:
I agree with Tjfarmer’s theory but I think it’s worth trying to understand Kanon = Shannon theory again to see how it solves episode 6 and what the point of the theory is.

First of all, is it possible for Kanon and Shannon to simply be personalities of a single person? No, it is not possible due to the red truth given in episode 3:
6 people: Kinzo, Genji, Shannon, Kanon, Gohda, and Kumasawa are dead!
If Kanon is dead then the person named Kanon is dead. The only one who can claim Kanon's name is the person himself! A different person cannot claim his name! However, there is no red truth that can deny that someone else claimed Shannon’s name or is disguising as her as long as there are clues to support it.

Is it possible that Shannon killed Kanon before October 4th and is impersonating him? No, this is not possible due to the red truth given in episode 4:
Among the five people in Kyrie's group, he was the first to die. In short, he was the 9th victim.

Is it possible that Kanon killed Shannon before October 4th and is impersonating her? Yes, but it’s difficult to get past the red truth in episode 2:
Kanon was killed in this room.
At that point in the game Shannon was standing in the room. But in this theory Shannon was killed prior to October 4th. Therefore, the Shannon who was standing there had to be someone else in disguise. It could not be Kanon since he was already killed so let’s choose Jessica to be disguised as Shannon after the discovery of the corpse. And the corpse on the ground was Shannon’s. However, this creates another problem from the red truth:
At the time of the discovery of Jessica's corpse, the only people in the room were Battler, George, Maria, Rosa, Genji, Gohda, Shannon, Kumasawa, and Nanjo.
A corpse is a corpse and there is no way around it. If it was declared to be a corpse in red then it was a corpse. Period. However, there is nothing that forbids Jessica or Shannon’s names from used by other people. Therefore, even though it was Shannon’s corpse on the floor in the room, since she was disguised as Jessica you could call the corpse ‘Jessica’s corpse’. Again, nothing prevents other people from using Jessica’s name or Shannon’s name. Now, doing this creates two new problems for both Jessica and Shannon:
Knox's 10th, it is forbidden for a character to disguise themselves as another without any CLUES!
Ok, so now all we need are clues that Jessica would disguise as Shannon and Shannon would disguise as Jessica. We can actually kill two birds with one stone on this. We’ll just use the ultimate weapon of the Kanon = Shannon theory:
For all of the first four games, Battler never sees Kanon and Shannon together at the same time.
Therefore, it’s possible that Kanon killed Shannon before October 4th. Since Kanon and Jessica are a couple, they could have both been in on the deception to hide Shannon’s death. Now, I don’t think it’s reasonable that Jessica killed Kanon in her room in episode 2 but that’s a different discussion and we just needed a clue for Jessica to disguise as Shannon. This in turn explains why Jessica would disguise Shannon as Jessica after she was killed.

This creates the theory:
Kanon and Jessica killed Shannon before October 4th and are working together to hide her death by disguising as her.

The death could have been accidental or it could have been planned. Who knows? Now, this creates a motive for George to murder as well if George found out about Shannon’s death and believed that the family was behind it. However, George was with Battler most of the time so you can’t explain all the murders with this theory. The point of this theory is that it can be used to provide a motive for some of the murders.

Now, one way to solve all of episode 6 with this theory:
Spoiler for Episode 6 solution using Shkanon:

I don’t support the Kanon = Shannon theory but if there’s something I don’t understand about it please feel free to elaborate on it.
Old 2010-02-28, 19:27   Link #6288
Judoh
Mystery buff

Sorry George is crazy yandere he would never mistake Jessica or Kanon for Shannon. I won't allow it.
Old 2010-02-28, 19:35   Link #6289
luckyssol

I’ve made a lot of changes to this theory but the older version can still be viewed here.

Spoiler for How I came up with this theory and the mysterious number 07151129:

Spoiler for Battler’s birth circumstances:

Spoiler for Battler’s sin and the events of 1980:

Spoiler for Manipulating Shannon and Kanon:

Spoiler for The mysterious author of the stories:

Last edited by luckyssol; 2010-03-17 at 09:23.
luckyssol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-28, 19:46   Link #6290
Kitsu
The unlucky one

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ssol View Post
*snip*

Well I think it was me who first pointed out that Kanon had to exist as person himself as well as Shannon beause of this red
But even so a lot of people still ignore it and go for the Kanon is just a personality route. (Which makes little to no sense)
Also there is a more simple problem. Their voice. How would they manage to sound like Shannon? Both of them? As well as both of them most have acting skills like no tomorow. Remember that Shannon appeared in front of a lot of people who knew her well (George, Natushi etc)
Futhermore even if Kanon and Shannon have never been seen together that would only be a hint for Kshannon and not Jessica can disguise as Shannon.
In Episode 2 was also a red that said "Jessica's corpse" of course you could argue with "this corpse belongs (in a material sense) to Jessica but isn't her" While I personally don't see any ways around it.

I do like this theory more than the normal Kshannon that contratics a lot more reds and common sense but it somehow is still a bit lacking.
I think it still needs a motive and a way Kanon and Jessica could have gotten rid of the corpse without anyone noticing.
Old 2010-02-28, 19:48   Link #6291
Midnight Bliss
Radiant as the sun;
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Midnight Bliss
To be honest, even though I am extremely anti-shkanon, I like your theory, Ssol. It makes plenty of sense imo. o__o; Good job.
I guess the part of the theory I don't like would be Shannon being Kanon, haha. Because I thought it'd be Kanon as Shannon since Shannon as Kanon seems a bit impossible to me. It makes sense if Kanon and Jessica were in on it, and George finding out and getting revenge. Since he's with Battler most of the time, he can only commit a few murders. A few, but some.
Though how would this tie with the promise or Battler's sin and whatnot to the rest of the murders since Shannon would be killed early?

EDIT;
I agree with Kitsu on the getting rid of the corpse thing and such. And what about in ep 3 when they both die in the first twilight if she was killed earlier on?
Midnight Bliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-28, 19:57   Link #6292
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronove View Post
Theory of Erika's Existence:

So apparently, Erika's 'true fate' was being a corpse that was washed upshore, right? Does this apply to all games? If so, then it can bring me to this theory...

At the beginning of EP1, Maria's weird psychotic abilities was because she probably saw the dead corpse of Erika. However, no one else realized this.

Therefore, would Erika being dead count as 'People on the island'? Because since Kinzo is dead, he isn't considered 'a person on the island, that exists'.

Anyone want to deny this?
I don't think it is possible that Maria saw Erika's corpse and that affected her in ep1-4 because:

Furudo Erika had no influence on any of Beato's games before now

And then the problem of body counts come with

Furudo Erika only increases it by one person (after Battler asked about the number of people on the island)

technically a dead body shouldn't count in the total and wouldn't increase it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tjfarmer View Post
My personal view on Shkanon is this....

Spoiler for Ep 6 stuff:

I like it better then Shkanon always exists.... but what the purpose of this whole thing existing is left up for speculation....
Maybe you meant:

In Ep 5, Kanon never died, Erika was the 18th person.
In Ep 6, Kanon died, and Erika was the 17th person.

Anyway the basic concept is that Kanon exists in Ep5 but not in other episodes. I did think about that because it solves one of the problems of the shkannon theory, however there is a red truth (from Ep5) that makes this very unlikely to be true:

Besides her (Erika), the number of people on this island is exactly the same as it was in the previous games.

So if only this time Kanon exists, then you'd have to think there's someone else missing in Ep5 and you still go back to the original problem of the parlor.

Quote:
I agree with Tjfarmer’s theory but I think it’s worth trying to understand Kanon = Shannon theory again to see how it solves episode 6 and what the point of the theory is.

First of all, is it possible for Kanon and Shannon to simply be personalities of a single person? No, it is not possible due to the red truth given in episode 3:
If Kanon is dead then the person named Kanon is dead. The only one who can claim Kanon's name is the person himself! A different person cannot claim his name! However, there is no red truth that can deny that someone else claimed Shannon’s name or is disguising as her as long as there are clues to support it.

Is it possible that Shannon killed Kanon before October 4th and is impersonating him? No, this is not possible due to the red truth given in episode 4:
Among the five people in Kyrie's group, he was the first to die. In short, he was the 9th victim.
Chronotrig would disagree on your assessment of the first option. It's not like I like his interpretation, but I think there are reasonable elements to think it is possible. I quote him:

Quote:
Shannon, Kanon, Gohda, Kumasawa, Genji, Kinzo, 6 persons died

In the original Japanese, this line is less specific. It only says 6人, not 6人の人間. In other words, "person" is a counter instead of a separate word. In that sense, it might refer to "characters in the play/story". For example, with 6人の人物, you have some room to argue, especially since this is a meta-character speaking and her own personality comes from one of these "characters".

There are two ways for this argument to work, which I've mentioned before. The first is that Kanon is a personality of Sayo's, not a seperate person. So when Kanon "dies", she kills off his personality, both dramatically as a character on the game board (everyone sees his "death") and because she stops using him.

As for the second option why is it impossible? That red could be referring to "Shannon" and not to the "Kanon" that died before.

Jan-Poo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-28, 20:09   Link #6293
RockReborn

I agree that it's possible that either Shannon or Kanon was killed prior to the middle of the first night of EP3. After all, the red applies to Kinzo for that first twilight as well and we know that he is dead at the start of each game.

For Jessica in EP2, is it ever stated that she is dead? This talk about the time of the discovery of her corpse keeps making me think of that blue Ronove uses in EP5 at the end, about whether only a corpse can be called a corpse... additionally, could Nanjo have had Kanon's master key and only pretended to find it on her person?
RockReborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-28, 20:32   Link #6294
luckyssol

Quote:
Also there is a more simple problem. Their voice. How would they manage to sound like Shannon? Both of them? As well as both of them most have acting skills like no tomorow. Remember that Shannon appeared in front of a lot of people who knew her well (George, Natushi etc)
I agree that the voice would be a problem. However, Shannon doesn't speak very much except during the beach scenes. For the beach scenes:
-Maria is easily fooled so she is no problem.
-Battler is incompetent so that's no problem.
-Jessica might be in on the deception.
-George would notice immediately but one could argue that he just played along and decided to ask Kanon later on why he was pretending to be Shannon.
Quote:
Futhermore even if Kanon and Shannon have never been seen together that would only be a hint for Kshannon and not Jessica can disguise as Shannon.
That's right, but it could be the case that Kanon dragged Jessica into the mess or Jessica dragged Kanon into the mess. I guess this theory would be called "Shkanonica" so something.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnight Bliss View Post
Though how would this tie with the promise or Battler's sin and whatnot to the rest of the murders since Shannon would be killed early?
If I were to use Shkanon I would put Kyrie as the mastermind with the goal of retriving Kinzo's gold. Quoting Battler from episode 1:
“I see. So, in other words, this witch granted the funds necessary to revive the Ushiromiya family and Grandfather owed her big time.”

I would have this 'witch' as someone tied to the Sumadera family and Kyrie's goal is to retrive the gold. After finding out that Kinzo was actually dead Kyrie realized that there was no chance to get the gold so she was trying to force the family to solve the epitaph.
Kyrie could have caused Shannon's death but it could have happened in a way so that she could frame Kanon for it and threaten him.
Kanon and Jessica would be working against Kyrie and the battle lines would be between who either of them can manipulate to best serve their interests.

This theory was mainly brought about by the Kyrie vs. Jessica brawl in episode 6 ;p

Battler's sin in this theory? It would have to be related to Kinzo's death. Kinzo may have wanted Battler to become the next head. Since Battler stopped attending the conference six years ago Kinzo gave up waiting for him and decided life wasn't living anymore.

Quote:
I agree with Kitsu on the getting rid of the corpse thing and such. And what about in ep 3 when they both die in the first twilight if she was killed earlier on?
It was stated that Shannon was dead but it was not stated in red that Shannon's death occured during the first twilight. It could have happened before October 4th

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan-Poo View Post
Chronotrig would disagree on your assessment of the first option. It's not like I like his interpretation, but I think there are reasonable elements to think it is possible.
I've never seen 人 used as a counter for personalities. (Maybe I'm wrong?) I can't agree with Chronotrig theory this time.
Quote:
As for the second option why is it impossible? That red could be referring to "Shannon" and not to the "Kanon" that died before.
No, it is not possible. No one else can use Kanon's name. This is given to us as red truth.
Old 2010-02-28, 20:33   Link #6295
ameskitty
Kupo

Quote:
And then the problem of body counts come with

Furudo Erika only increases it by one person (after Battler asked about the number of people on the island)

technically a dead body shouldn't count in the total and wouldn't increase it.
If you're trying to make the point I think you're trying to make, I've already said a while ago that they were being really, really vague about what count they were actually talking about. The Japanese line even omitted the equivalent of "it" (if I remember correctly), leaving the target to assumption by context. For all we know Lambda was thinking (and assuming that Bern was thinking) about the character/personality count. You could argue semantics, but...I still think it's really suspicious how incredibly evasive that whole passage was.

So even with that it's still possible that she washed up as a dead body. I don't think she was noticed in any of the episodes if this is the case, but yeah.

Avatar adapted from Yoshitaka Amano art

"There is no such thing as a sexy George." - Rhiannon, Easy A
ameskitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-28, 21:08   Link #6296
Judoh
Mystery buff

Quote:
To be honest, even though I am extremely anti-shkanon, I like your theory, Ssol. It makes plenty of sense imo. o__o; Good job.
I guess the part of the theory I don't like would be Shannon being Kanon, haha. Because I thought it'd be Kanon as Shannon since Shannon as Kanon seems a bit impossible to me. It makes sense if Kanon and Jessica were in on it, and George finding out and getting revenge. Since he's with Battler most of the time, he can only commit a few murders. A few, but some.

EDIT;

I wish I could agree with Ssol, because it gives George a motive, but I can't. It completely contradicts my theory that George orders Shannon (and other people) to murder people while he's with Battler. I also had a similar theory about the phone calls in episode 4 (about them being fake), but there really aren't any hints that anyone can fake the voices of other people. So even if you argue they can dress up as them I can't see them being recognized by George in a lot of scenes. Especially episode 1. And the whole voice faking thing defies Knox's 8th.

This is the only scene that I've ever seen Shannon and Kanon compared by their appearance. And it's not very supportive. Granted it's a fantasy scene, but if you beleive in Shkanontrice it's still pretty damning. And I think there is some truth in the fantasy scenes.

Spoiler for kanon and shannon:
Old 2010-02-28, 21:20   Link #6297
luckyssol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judoh View Post
And the whole voice faking thing defies Knox's 8th.
Regardless of what theory we can come up with, the balcony scene in episode 4 and the phone calls Battler received from 'Beatrice' have to be explained.

Battler didn't recognize the voice of 'Beatrice'. Therefore, a clue exists that someone on the island can disguise their voice.
Old 2010-02-28, 21:22   Link #6298
Judoh
Mystery buff

Quote:
Regardless of what theory we can come up with the balcony scene and the phone calls Battler received from Beatrice have to be explained. Battler didn't recognize the voice of 'Beatrice'. Therefore, a clue exists that someone on the island can disguise their voice.
AS BEATRICE. Not Jessica or Kyrie, But this would be like if Kinzo is on the phone since nobody has heard his voice in 6 years. Nobody has ever heard Beatrice's voice so it's not a fake voice. Since she's not a real person in 1986 at least.
Old 2010-02-28, 21:24   Link #6299
luckyssol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judoh View Post
AS BEATRICE. Not Jessica or Kyrie, But this would be like if Kinzo is one the phone since nobody has heard his voice in 6 years. Nobody has ever heard Beatrice's voice so it's not a fake voice.
Sorry, but you are incorrect. Someone who is a member of the family or a servant was disguised as Beatrice. There is no person X. That person who disguised themselves as Beatrice was able to disguise their voice as well. The clue exists.
Old 2010-02-28, 21:28   Link #6300
Judoh
Mystery buff

Quote:
Sorry, but you are incorrect. Someone who is a member of the family or a servant was disguised as Beatrice. There is no person X. That person who disguised themselves as Beatrice was able to disguise their voice as well. The clue exists.
Yes it does but it's only a hint for the person disguised as Beatrice. Piece Battler has never heard Beatrice's voice or if he did he definitely doesn't remember it. You wouldn't even need to be a talented voice actor to imitate someone's voice who has never been heard by the detective. I'm not arguing a person X at all. Just that a non real person can't have a fake voice because it's a fake person someone is disguising themselves as...

Edit: Well it would have to be fake, but it wouldn't have to be an amazing fake. Just different enough to not be able to tell who is really on the phone or the balcony.