AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2007-05-14, 19:34   Link #21
Gundam Zero Force

ahh, Highschool, Hated it all the way through . . .

College is so much better. In highschool there were no such things as CG aniamtion or classes on Programs like Maya. Now in Colege I can learn what I really enjoy and be with people who have similar interests
Gundam Zero Force is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-14, 20:29   Link #22
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Better than University that's for sure. I was very content throughout my years as a high school student and I actually enjoyed going to school because there was always fun to have in class. My school was set up as a self-paced learning style, so we only had lectures maybe once a week and the rest of the time you were free to proceed as you wished. Basically it was much like University only most people were pleasant instead of obnoxious jerks. Also when I felt like it I would go to the library where I could almost always find one of my friends to chill out with and do some studying, or on days where we had nothing to do or had finished all our course work, browse the internet or play some LAN games over the schools paltry excuse for a secure network.

Now that I have my B.A I guess that means I'm done School forever. It seems like yesterday that I was in elementary school dodging tennis balls being thrown at the wall in games of redass and then going home to play my NES and Sega Genesis with the brand new (then) Sonic 2 that my parents had just purchased for me in Montreal.
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-14, 23:09   Link #23
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support

Send a message via MSN to WanderingKnight
Here we have 7 years for elementary, and 5 for secondary school. At my secondary school, it took me quite a while to realize where did I belong, since our class of <30 people was of the kind that was formed by small groups of people. As long as 4 years xD. The thing is, once I could find the place among my peers, the class suddenly became a lot more open, and many of those "small groups" broke apart in the last year and a half. It got me a little sad when I finally finished last year (that is December over here, not July xP), but still, all our classmates could really feel united as a group, instead of forming small "sections". I still have my "closer friends", but at the end of it, there wasn't a single person which I couldn't get along with. That made me look back at all the experiences I had in secondary school in a different light, and even when I felt pretty shitty sometimes, by remembering all I've been through, I realized those were the best 5 years of my existence.

I even wrote a stupid mail where I named each one of my classmates and a little characteristic of them, and gave them thanks for all what I had passed. [/embarrassed]

Quote:
high school = infinite time to play games.
So much truth. Now that I'm off into the big world with work + university, I certainly miss that part of my secondary school days

Place them in a box until a quieter time | Lights down, you up and die.
WanderingKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-17, 15:11   Link #24
Kyuusai
9wiki
*Scanlator

Send a message via AIM to Kyuusai Send a message via MSN to Kyuusai Send a message via Yahoo to Kyuusai
High school was the worst period of my life. Constant frustration and almost zero learning, surrounded by insufferable politics and people who actively disliked me for not having the same interests as them.

I left high school a year early to enroll in college, where I actually had something that resembled an education and people treated me like a normal human being. The politics in college are awful, as well, but it doesn't have as much of an effect on day-to-day student life as it did in high school, where (for one example) I was lied to in order to put me into classes based on where my performance would result in the most funding.

Now, some of my favorite times were during high school. I was in drama productions for three years, I had remote learning classes that were so bad the teacher didn't bother with the course-work and we just socialized (which worked, because we got along, since we all were the sorts of people who actually signed up for Japanese and Latin classes). Those things weren't really part of high school, though: just things that happened while I was in high school. There were a precious few classes where I actually learned something, and I truly enjoyed them, but that was a tiny, tiny part of an otherwise terrible experience.

High school doesn't have to be bad! It just so happens that mine was terrible. The only thing I miss about high school was what I had outside of high school: MORE FREE TIME.
Kyuusai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-17, 16:28   Link #25
Zaris
of Porsche

Send a message via AIM to Zaris Send a message via MSN to Zaris Send a message via Yahoo to Zaris
High school and university schooling have their ups and downs, but what you consider an up or down largely depends on the school and the subject of your study. I wanted to do physics in the beginning of high school, so I took all the AP courses and high level mathematics. It was exhausting work in addition to the other courses I took for credits (four years of Japanese, art, English, etc.). Then when I went to UCSD (University of California, San Diego), I dropped that for filmmaking, so I had much more free time to hang with friends and roommates from college. But if I had pursued a harder major like double-E (Electrical Engineering), it's likely my workload would be equivalent or greater to that of my time in high school.

In the end, its all about how much free time you have and how you spend that free time. I had so much more free time to do things in college without parents watching my back and nagging 24/7. But there's something about high school that I still long for that you don't get at a college or university. The friends you see every day, the teachers you get closely associated with, basketball games after seventh period. It was certainly the fittest time of my life. And my friends: I've had close to a dozen before graduation. Now I've only kept in touch with one.

Making friends is hard (for me at least). Hang onto the ones you have in high school. Watch a movie, go clubbing, laser tag, rock climb with them. Don't ever let them go after the diploma falls into your hands.
Zaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-17, 21:39   Link #26
Spectacular_Insanity
Ha ha ha ha ha...
*Graphic Designer

This is a warning to all high school students: Do not take AP Spanish AND AP Statistics the same year. Having two three-hour-long exams the same day is brutal! Not to mention they obly give you 20 minutes in between the two exams to scarf down a lunch and get psyched-up for the next one. It's really tough to keep your mind in the game for the whole day, trust me on that one.
Old 2007-05-17, 21:49   Link #27
Lexander
www.thefestlanders.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin_Sama View Post
Better than University that's for sure. I was very content throughout my years as a high school student and I actually enjoyed going to school because there was always fun to have in class. My school was set up as a self-paced learning style, so we only had lectures maybe once a week and the rest of the time you were free to proceed as you wished. Basically it was much like University only most people were pleasant instead of obnoxious jerks. Also when I felt like it I would go to the library where I could almost always find one of my friends to chill out with and do some studying, or on days where we had nothing to do or had finished all our course work, browse the internet or play some LAN games over the schools paltry excuse for a secure network.
hehehe ... that's interesting ... I had the complete oposite experience.
After high school I started running into pleasant people.

Other than that I had the exact same high school experience. Breaktimes in the library with some buddies.

I didn't enjoy high school but that period of my life was hell of a lot easier than now. So I actually would not mind being back in high school. Independace is overrated and responcibility sucks
Lexander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-17, 22:34   Link #28
Asai
Nya? ^_^
*Fansubber

I was rather indifferent about high school. Didn't particularly like it, but didn't particularly hate it. Was just a necessary part of life at the time. However, over a decade later, I kind of wish I could go back and do it all over again. ^^; At that age I didn't realise quite how large an impact it would have on my later life. If I could have a 'do-over' I'd want to re-start things from year seven onward.

That said, if high school life were anything like is depicted in many anime series, I would've loved it to death. Hell, even simply having clubs like Japanese schools do would have made it a lot more interesting. I had no real desire to bother with school because it was boring, just a necessary chore. Clubs and such would've changed that, I think. ^^; But I'm just old and jaded, thinking back to the days where I had no worries and few responsibilities as a youth.
Asai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-17, 23:14   Link #29
oraf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaden View Post
high school = infinite time to play games.
true

thinking back on it now, high school was more of a live comedy show than an institute for learning. from grade 9 to 12 it sure was fun attending the years. a Mathematics teacher who was just way into UFOs. to escape the subject we'd at times bring up his favourite topic and the teacher would go on and on forgetting about what he was paid to teach. a Chemistry teacher who would snap on her students for whatever personal issues she was going through. a Physics teacher who looked so much like the paintings of Jesus that we all shouted *Jeeesus* when he walked in class. the day he walked in class without the beard all of his students couldn't stop laughing 15 minutes into class. a Biology teacher who would crack jokes about his wife to his students in class. overall it was just a really fun place to spend time in.
oraf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-18, 00:01   Link #30
raikage
日本語を食べません!

Quote:
Originally Posted by oraf View Post
true

thinking back on it now, high school was more of a live comedy show than an institute for learning. from grade 9 to 12 it sure was fun attending the years. a Mathematics teacher who was just way into UFOs. to escape the subject we'd at times bring up his favourite topic and the teacher would go on and on forgetting about what he was paid to teach. a Chemistry teacher who would snap on her students for whatever personal issues she was going through. a Physics teacher who looked so much like the paintings of Jesus that we all shouted *Jeeesus* when he walked in class. the day he walked in class without the beard all of his students couldn't stop laughing 15 minutes into class. a Biology teacher who would crack jokes about his wife to his students in class. overall it was just a really fun place to spend time in.
True -- I remember some high school memories fondly -- but the spending eight hours in school (almost like a job!) and then having to go home and do homework after that, not so much.

I'm remembering a quote I swore I posted here...
*searches*
...maybe not. It went something like,
When you're 80 years old...if you look back on your life and say that high school were the best years of your life, you screwed up somewhere along the way.
High school was fun. But college was more fun. And post-college, I'm still having fun living life.
raikage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-18, 08:25   Link #31
Kyuusai
9wiki
*Scanlator

Send a message via AIM to Kyuusai Send a message via MSN to Kyuusai Send a message via Yahoo to Kyuusai
Quote:
Originally Posted by raikage View Post
When you're 80 years old...if you look back on your life and say that high school were the best years of your life, you screwed up somewhere along the way.
My friend's father once told him, "Son, every one tells you that life gets worse after high school. They're lying. The day you get out of high school will be the best day of your life."

He was telling the truth.

Life is what we make of it, and we have a lot more ability to make it what we want to be once we have freedom.
Kyuusai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-18, 08:35   Link #32
Angel Wings
Anime Adict

Send a message via MSN to Angel Wings
Im still on highschool, its in the city eindhoven...
Its a special Art, and design school.
I have a realy great time there, much friends who also watch anime and read manga, i havent seen much people who were bullied...
You could call it a perfect school, well a perfect school for me

With no uniform! yaaay!
Angel Wings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-18, 08:51   Link #33
iluvnuriko
Red dream of catastrophy

Send a message via MSN to iluvnuriko
Well I'm in the last year of Juniour College now....aka 12th std. My fave years of my academic life are going on now and I don't wanna miss any of it. Sure studies suck a lot but we also manage to have fun sometimes. You never can tell what might happen with a bunch of teenagers stuck in a classroom all day long....the results are quite surprising.
I don't think College can be as fun as this though.
iluvnuriko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-18, 09:01   Link #34
Maljan

Send a message via MSN to Maljan Send a message via Yahoo to Maljan
Well, I loved my school days. I have great memories, espacially those we did as a group final year's! Those with my friend well don't wanna talk about it!
Maljan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-18, 15:22   Link #35
gummybear
MUDKIP MUD!

high school was the best for me because I can screw up as much as I want and still be able to move on, can't do that with post secondary or career mode... 1 wrong move and you are f*** for life. Heck, nowadays I have to think twice before sleeping with a girl, afraid I might knock her up and end up with a kid and end up not be able to get higher on the corpate ladder.
gummybear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-18, 15:32   Link #36
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Deathkillz
so far highschool has been amazing for me...my school is actually intergrated from 12-18 with 17-18 being classed as "highschool or collage" ~ it feels great to be doing more than have the amount of subjects as in the lower years...the stress is releaved and attitude towards our "more mature" students are more lax ~ also we get the ability to boss the lower years around which is always great fun (and sweet revenge as the "circle of life" continues )

Siggy: hohohohoho~ | AnimeHistory welcome to our blog ~ | Summer2009 early review
Under the radar series Summer2009: Kanamemo, GA Geijutsuka Art, NEEDLESS
Deathkillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-18, 15:36   Link #37
Wosho128
I like tinkering on stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by gummybear View Post
high school was the best for me because I can screw up as much as I want and still be able to move on, can't do that with post secondary or career mode... 1 wrong move and you are f*** for life. Heck, nowadays I have to think twice before sleeping with a girl, afraid I might knock her up and end up with a kid and end up not be able to get higher on the corpate ladder.
Haha, that made me laugh. I'll be sure to keep your insight in mind.

Anyway, I like the responses that indicate college is better than High School. I graduate in a few hours so I'll keep that in mind.

But everyone's input has been interesting to read. Some of you loved it and a good chunk of you guys loathed it. =P
Wosho128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-22, 17:03   Link #38
boneyjellyfish
Evangelist of the Kazoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wosho128 View Post
But I wanted to start a new topic specifically about the 4 year institution that shapes prepubescent teenagers into working members of society. (That's the idea, anyway.) If you are in High School, how is it for you? Is the experience fun? Do you wish the school days would never end? Or is it the opposite?
In this post I will talk about public high schools. I first would like to say that you possess an incredibly naive way to look at high school. High School does not in any way, shape, or form come even close to transforming prepubescent teenagers into working members of society. High school is perhaps the single most overrated experience in all of our civilization. All it produces is a bunch of emo idiots and immature shitheads that screw up university for the people that really deserve to be there, and by "deserve to be there" I mean anyone that takes a major other than business or some other bird course.

There are only two things that come immediately to my mind that can turn a person from a high school idiot into a working member of society (counting only those that plan on going to university): taking a year off before university and getting a full time job, and either getting into honours in university or graduating.

As for my own high school experiences, I will say these: I lived in a go-nowhere town where everyone smoked pot and the only way to progress in the social hierarchy in high school was to be a stoner. The pride and joy of our town, and our high school's top athlete, was pulled over for driving recklessly and was found to have a ton of booze and weed in his car. I am happy to be out of High School. It severely limited my own intellectual development, as I was forced to take classes that I had no interest in or were too easy, and even the other geeks were assholes.

Last edited by boneyjellyfish; 2007-05-22 at 17:22.
boneyjellyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-22, 17:35   Link #39
Wosho128
I like tinkering on stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by boneyjellyfish View Post
In this post I will talk about public high schools. I first would like to say that you possess an incredibly naive way to look at high school. High School does not in any way, shape, or form come even close to transforming prepubescent teenagers into working members of society.
That was never my view. =P I was simply stating what school was advertised to do. I never believed that, haha.

But I understand your experience. Instead of stoners for me though, I was subjected to kids who wore Hip-Hop clothing and picked on the weak (Not trying to stereotype!). I was never physically beat up but I stuck out because I took the "advanced" classes.

And I understand the hierarchy principle in High School; most schools have them. A person must fit a certain criteria to be let into an "exclusive" group. I always thought that was nonsense.
Wosho128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-22, 21:20   Link #40
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support

Send a message via MSN to WanderingKnight
The purpose of high school is (or rather should be, perhaps) not to transform you into a working member of the society, but rather, to teach you how to think. That's what my high school (the most prestigious public high school of Argentina) taught me, among lots of other stuff. Once you learn how to think, the approach on whatever course you pursue in university will be much different. Now that I'm at the university (no college here), I've met lots of other people who come from crappy high schools, and I swear for the love of Jebus, they can't think. I'm coursing with a girl who also comes from my high school, and we both agreed on the same point. The difference was astounding.

Maybe I'm being a bit elitist here, but that's how I see it.

Place them in a box until a quieter time | Lights down, you up and die.
WanderingKnight is offline   Reply With Quote