AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2011-04-22, 00:12   Link #21
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Having done a little look into some of those myths, from multiple cultures, there are some that are the same (more or less) in the description of an event here and there happening to their people (in Bible terms we are talking Genesis stuff mainly as after that it is mainly life and lineage of the peoples after Abraham until the time of the Greeks and later the Roman Empire). There are differences though. Most of the Old World religions have a flood story of some kind were there was a civilization, then a flood, then a new civilization starts up from the survivors, usually starting from so high mountain around whereever they setup. In the New World however I found something slightly different, but related. A flood story as the beginning. No earlier civilization, just the gods making stuff as the waters gave way to land. This is slightly different, but the idea of a flood is still there.

Of course early civilizations depending on a large river to survive...and rivers flood. So it is entirely possible that each civilization would have a year were the river flooded and wiped out everything, but some people survived, some in makeshift boats. This story gets told over and over again by storytellers, who make it more and more entertaining with each generation of the telling...until the whole world is flooded, rather than just the valley.

However the early jewish chapters of the angels and giants (stuff that was editted out of the Bible by the church...probably because it read to weird for them to consider it for their first millenium AD followers) sounds odd. What could this have been based off of. Storytellers usually have a reason to tell these stories....
Old 2011-04-22, 00:17   Link #22
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Some historians point to Sumerian and Babylonian myths... the Epic of Gilgamesh for example. Plus there were dozens of minor religions with their own gods and storylines... little bit of this, little bit of that.
Old 2011-04-22, 00:21   Link #23
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

There is also a genetic suggestion that point to some form of mass near extinction of the human species somewhere in the distant past, also the extinction of our rival humanoid species. It has been suggested that it was this worldwide flood...but there are many thing it could have been...if it really happened.

Male, female, or other....God has a sense of humor. If one don't believe, than the randomness of the universe could also be considered to have a sense of humor.
Old 2011-04-22, 00:28   Link #24
risingstar3110
✘˵╹◡╹˶✘

I plan to say "If God is woman, she's probably a masochist to create such a male-dominated world", but it's more of a joke than actual attempt
Old 2011-04-22, 01:30   Link #25
flying ^

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archangel Roy View Post
I've been pondering upon this question for weeks. How would the world be like?

it's called goddess...

ask any centenarian japanese who still worship amaterasu
flying ^ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-22, 01:47   Link #26
Magin
#1 Akashiya Moka Fan
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Magin Send a message via MSN to Magin
Hm... this is a very interesting question, because the answer I have on this is insanely complex and yet simple at the same time

First and foremost, to draw upon the Judaic history, I think that Lilith would've stayed as Adam's wife... since Adam was apparently created in God's image, going by God as a male, it means that Adam, a reflection of a male God, refused to be dominated by a woman. Now, if god were female... well, let's say for the sake of keeping things in the same route, Adam would've let Lilith be on top for "being fruitful", and men would possibly be the dominated ones, even outside of marriage (that last bit was tongue in cheek, in case anyone forgot their sense of humor...); i.e., the "lesser sex", and we'd potentially be fighting for men's rights in this day and age rather than women's

Of course, on Route B, this gives potential to Eve being the first one created... although again, this probably means that man would be seen as the "lesser sex"

R+V fanfic- Chapter 4 of A Water Bride and a Vampire is now up at FF.net!

All fans of Inner or Outer Moka, come join her fanclub!
Magin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-22, 01:49   Link #27
Raiga
tl;dr

Well, there would be aliens, time travelers, and espers, and we'd have to find a deadpan snarker to play along with her and keep her from destroying the universe on a whim.
Old 2011-04-22, 02:35   Link #28
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Send a message via AIM to synaesthetic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiga View Post
Well, there would be aliens, time travelers, and espers, and we'd have to find a deadpan snarker to play along with her and keep her from destroying the universe on a whim.
Took you guys long enough.
Old 2011-04-22, 03:32   Link #29
Last Sinner
You're Hot, Cupcake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiga View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by synaesthetic View Post
Took you guys long enough.
And all is well in the universe when she climaxes.

Also, you're forgetting the over 400 year old wise and beautiful harvest goddess with her long fluffy tail, her pointy ears and her hypnotic red eyes.

Last edited by Last Sinner; 2011-04-22 at 04:17.
Last Sinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-22, 04:51   Link #30
OceanBlue
Not an expert on things

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solace View Post
Scientifically speaking however, gender is irrelevant to God. Yes. I used science to support religion. I so went there.
Wouldn't it be this? I thought male and female were defined by their roles in reproduction.
OceanBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-22, 05:24   Link #31
Irkalla
I asked for this

Many Gods are women?
Old 2011-04-22, 08:37   Link #32
Ahiru77
あひる

In no way related to Madoka. ^^"
Ahiru77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-22, 09:50   Link #33
ChainLegacy
廉頗

Depends what type of "god" you're referring to... The Greek style gods, who were extremely powerful but not necessarily omniscient and actually quite human in nature could easily be male or female...

But I think the god described in the Abrahamic religions is by definition incompatible with gender. A being of omniscience, that has existed since the beginning of time would not be a man or a woman. Remember, sex is actually an evolved characteristic... it's not an inherent quality of life forms. It's entirely possible for there to be alien species out there without any sexes. Though I tend to believe for complex organism sex is likely to exist in alien species due to convergent evolution, my point is that it isn't biologically *necessary*.

That being said... God, being a deity rather than a heterotrophic species certainly wouldn't be bound by gender. It's entirely irrelevant to a god... gender is a tool of evolution first and foremost and thus would never be needed by god. Second, if god is truly omniscient and omnipresent, then gender labels make even less sense since god would exist within every life form, inanimate object, and atom in space. Pretty damn gender neutral role if there ever were one.
ChainLegacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-22, 09:59   Link #34
Tom Bombadil

In the Chinese myth of creation, all humans was created by Nvwa, who is a female creature that's similar to the western myth of Lamia in appearance.
Old 2011-04-22, 13:37   Link #35
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Even the Greek gods could manifest avatars in whatever sex they wished. They were beings of transcendent power, not human, yet they could take human form easily. I suppose that sort of clouds over the fact that they had set sexes.
Old 2011-04-22, 14:09   Link #36
DonQuigleone
Knight Errant

Men and women are waaay too similiar for it to make a difference. Particularly really powerful and/or old Men and Women.
DonQuigleone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-22, 14:53   Link #37
JC...
I am a Pie

Don't mean to be rude, but this title smells of fail.
JC... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-22, 16:21   Link #38
Tiberium Wolf

Nah. God is man.

Watch this vid of George Carlin and know why God is man.

Old 2011-04-22, 19:59   Link #39
Solace
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

There's a difference between the organization of religion and the belief in a higher being.

I'm in your religion thread, using your science.
Old 2011-04-22, 20:20   Link #40
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Oh, I don't discount the existence of life (even sentient life) from outside the realm of our perception. I don't know if it exists, but I can't say it doesn't.

You can't prove a negative, after all.

No, what I discount is a Bronze Age fairy tale about a magical guy in the sky who created the world in six days and thinks people who don't sufficiently slob his knob should be condemned to a fiery torture pit for all eternity.

If an actual "god" exists, in the traditional sense of a transcendent being far beyond any human capacity to understand, it is certainly not the God of the Bible, which has suspiciously human (and patriarchal, and racist) motivations.

Tags
god