AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Haruhi Suzumiya

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2007-02-25, 08:05   Link #281
Tokkan

Send a message via MSN to Tokkan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinmeiryuu View Post
Bandai created a new "show" called AnimeTV. The first episode featured their most hyped licences lately, Haruhi. AnimeTV.

If there's a different episode on the site, you can see ep. 1 on YouTube, or something.
1. We already know this.
2. It's not produced by Bandai, it's produced by Bang Zoom.
Old 2007-02-25, 10:42   Link #282
Asrialys

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultima_Rasengan05 View Post
and as for that "HARUHI COSPLAY RIBBON"
i dont think i"ll even wear it (i"m a guy anyways)
but i think i"ll just give it to my little sister or something
or maybe do something with it
I'm a guy too, but...it just seems tempting...and I normally don't do anything like that...
Old 2007-02-25, 12:36   Link #283
dkellis
illusion control
*Author

Send a message via ICQ to dkellis Send a message via AIM to dkellis Send a message via MSN to dkellis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asrialys View Post
And how many of you (even the males) will actually where the Haruhi cosplay ribbon? I'm seriously considering it. Ah, I wish I were still in high school if I were to wear it. Not too many people know me at university...
*guilty look*

To be honest, I'll probably wear it in only the privacy of my own home, mostly to keep my hair out of my face. A guy like me wearing the ribbon in public will be rather suspicious and/or frightening.

I'm trying to come to terms not with the high price of the special edition, but more my willingness to actually pay that price for Haruhiism. For something else, like, say, Mahou Shoujo Lyrical Nanoha or Keroro Gunsou, I'd likely just say "screw it" and buy the standard non-special versions. I like the shows (or else I wouldn't be considering the DVDs in the first place), but not that much.

But for The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya and, for that matter, Card Captor Sakura, I find my usual barriers of thrift collapsing. I'm not going to buy the limited edition R2 versions for the extras and a DVD I can't play (at least not on the computer, which is where I watch my anime), but $60 each for four DVDs (with the first one being $65), I'll gladly save and scrimp for it.

I wonder if this makes me an illogically rabid fanboy.
Old 2007-02-25, 14:41   Link #284
FatPianoBoy
Dansa med oss

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkellis View Post
I find my usual barriers of thrift collapsing.
I think that's what's got me so hot and bothered over the prices: not just the fact that they're high, but that I'm actually willing to pay.
Old 2007-02-25, 15:34   Link #285
steelbound
Yuki-ism

I'm definitely buy the more expensive discs no matter what. I'm not too worried about the price yet since the price given is the msrp and you can always buy dvd's for less then the msrp. For example, most standard dvd's have a msrp of $29.99 but can be gotten for around 20 bucks.
Old 2007-02-25, 15:58   Link #286
bayoab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob the Fox View Post
... Your getting CDs with the DVDs. CDs that cannot be purchased seperately. And besides, these are the SEs. The Regulars will probably reasonably priced for singular DVDs (though lacking in extras).
It has been clarified that the CDs can be purchased separately for $10 each.
Old 2007-02-25, 17:17   Link #287
Jeiku

For a split second, I was panicking at first about the special editions, but I'm very relieved about what they come with. I care a lot more about on-DVD special features than extra stuff that comes with the package, and so just as long as the discs between the two editions are more or less identical, I would not have a problem buying the regular ones. The only goodies I particularily want are the music CDs though, but since they are going to be sold separately I'll be buying them at a later time.
Old 2007-02-25, 17:31   Link #288
waffo
25% Unknown

Send a message via AIM to waffo Send a message via Yahoo to waffo
At least I won't have to buy any pillowcases for college. I'll just use Haruhi ones and scare my roommate. I can't believe I'm going to pay so much for 14 episodes. I'm glad they're retaining broadcast order in some way.
Old 2007-02-25, 17:36   Link #289
Jeiku

The only thing that bugs me about not showing them in broadcast order is that Kyon's episode 14 felt like a more suitable conclusion to the series than Haruhi's episode 14. Otherwise, I feel I can definitely live with this, and once all the DVDs are released I can watch them in either order, as much of a hassle as that may be to be switching discs every so often.
Old 2007-02-25, 18:22   Link #290
Mirrinus
Bemused Scholar

I wouldn't worry too much about what the last episode is. There's a good chance the "last episode" will be displaced as season 2 rolls around...
Old 2007-02-25, 20:47   Link #291
Setsuna Asuka

http://asosbrigade.com/oplet01/

This should clear up a couple of things.
Old 2007-02-25, 21:38   Link #292
FatPianoBoy
Dansa med oss

Ah, I see. Contractual obligations are a sticky matter.
In that case, I withdraw all previous complaints about that. Major props to the guys at Kadokawa for still making it possible. They've jumped through hoops for us.
Old 2007-02-26, 01:05   Link #293
LumpOfCole
I work with computers.

Send a message via AIM to LumpOfCole
Basically, we as an American audience have been treated better than the Japanese audience through this episode rendering. That's quite odd and I'm thankful

One thing is weird though, that all one has to do is basically buy Special Edition DVDs 2-4 and still get all the episodes. That's kind of weird for them to do that, I say.
Old 2007-02-26, 07:59   Link #294
FatPianoBoy
Dansa med oss

You don't get the dub or hair ribbon or the fancy box that way, though. I guess they figure that, if you're hardcore enough to pay that much for the special editions, that you're too hardcore to live without volume one and everything it entails
Old 2007-02-26, 07:59   Link #295
Shin_Battousai

Yeah it is but splitting it up into four DVDs instead would make the first LE/SE more expensive and there's plenty of people complaining about the price already ^^;
Old 2007-02-26, 12:19   Link #296
quigonkenny
Sav'aaq!

Not only that, but given the nature of the first episode, even dub haters would probably get a kick out of the VAs hamming it up.
Old 2007-02-26, 14:24   Link #297
CrowKenobi
One PUNCH!
*Administrator

It's now official! rightstuf.com has solicited for preorder both volumes 1 of The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya! (hattip to animeondvd.com)

Link to the search term "suzumiya" here.

Special Limited Edition retail price: $64.98
Right Stuf price: $48.74!! (who knows how long that'll last!)

Also check out what else they are offering figure wise.

There might be even better deals out there once the solicitations make their way around the net, so those with good detective skills will find the best deals.

Old 2007-02-26, 15:29   Link #298
Asrialys

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrowKenobi View Post
It's now official! rightstuf.com has solicited for preorder both volumes 1 of The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya! (hattip to animeondvd.com)

Link to the search term "suzumiya" here.

Special Limited Edition retail price: $64.98
Right Stuf price: $48.74!! (who knows how long that'll last!)

Also check out what else they are offering figure wise.

There might be even better deals out there once the solicitations make their way around the net, so those with good detective skills will find the best deals.

Sold! Since they won't charge till release, I'll pre-order it now from RoghtStuf. Still watching at several other places though.
Old 2007-02-26, 15:42   Link #299
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Usually, its a runoff between Rightstuf and DVDpacific ... but so far dvdpacific comes up empty under any twiddling of the search box.
Pre-order win goes to rightstuf for now.... (ka-ching!)
Old 2007-02-26, 16:10   Link #300
xris
Just call me Ojisan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Usually, its a runoff between Rightstuf and DVDpacific ... but so far dvdpacific comes up empty under any twiddling of the search box.
Pre-order win goes to rightstuf for now.... (ka-ching!)
DVDPacific usually take a little while before they list new products (give them another week or so) but I suspect they will be cheaper than RightStuf. Since I ship to the U.K. then DVDPacific wins out for me since the postage is cheaper.

I estimate it will be somewhere around the $39 ($37-$41) mark from DVDPacific (as they usually discount from 37% to 43%).
Closed Thread