AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > Gundam

Notices

Old 2007-11-23, 02:16   Link #1
lubczyk

Gundam 00 Character Designs

How do you people feel about Gundam 00 character designs?

Personally I'm in love with them.

They're not your typical bishoujo/Bishonen character designs that have been so prevalent in most of anime in the last couple years.

I was really getting bored with character designs that were just so in proportion and perfect like in Gundam Wing, Gundam SEED where all the characters look so similar. Teenagers and Middle-Aged men looking so similar and pretty and the girls too. I like the elongated faces of the characters in Gundam 00 and the hair that totally defies physics and is spiky and curly. I guess I like that the characters have physical attributes that are kind of spiky and pointed and not silky smooth and rounded like in the faces and hair.

All the characters look vary distinct from one another and I also like the fact that pilots have different color visors on their flight helmets.

They look exaggerated and not perfect and symmetrical all of the time.

I think it gives the show a very unique look similar to what Code Geass is doing in terms of character designs.

I think these exaggerated proportions are a step forward in Bandai and Sunrise shows.

What do you guys think?
lubczyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-23, 04:20   Link #2
LightningZERO
You are Dominated!
*Author

I like most of the character designs. The bishonen and bishoujo stuffs don't bother me much.

But I hate Billy's pony tail
Old 2007-11-23, 06:08   Link #3
FireChick

All the gundam meisters look cool to me, but mostly Tieria. Haro's cute to me.
FireChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-23, 07:34   Link #4
Dean_the_Young
Has a life IRL

The women: too boobyfull. (And the one that isn't is a loli.)

The men: Too idealized, not enough muscle. Also too tall for the most part.

They're all better than the Seed (Destiny) designs, though, which saw anorexic teens with arms I could encircle with one hand as the norm. Though the over emphasis on "Captain Earthquake" Sumeragi, spiritual sister of the infamous Captain of the ArchAngel, is becoming a bit much. I swear, they're going to throw in an earthquake one of these episodes, just for fanservice and to make an awkward scene.
Dean_the_Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-23, 08:00   Link #5
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean_the_Young View Post
You do realised that Soma is 18 years old, right? While the decidedly more grown-up -looking Felt is 14.
Old 2007-11-23, 08:08   Link #6
Dean_the_Young
Has a life IRL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallen Chaos Valiant View Post
You do realised that Soma is 18 years old, right? While the decidedly more grown-up -looking Felt is 14.
I do; I just consider any character of Soma's proportions and worse to be a Loli.

Well, actually, Soma barely qualifies as a loli. Maybe I just thing that the washboard chest isn't normal. Generally, lolis are much shorter and have round faces.
Dean_the_Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-23, 08:18   Link #7
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
I do; I just consider any character of Soma's proportions and worse to be a Loli.

Well, actually, Soma barely qualifies as a loli. Maybe I just thing that the washboard chest isn't normal. Generally, lolis are much shorter and have round faces.
I don't think Soma's chest size is that abnormal, at least from using real Asian female populations as a comparison. The fact that she doesn't act loli helps matters significantly. If Soma had a significant breast size, it would be over-exaggerated visually due to her short hight.

My theory is that, assuming Soma lives pass this first half of the show, she might be given some adult body proportions (and hight!) when the 2nd half airs.

It is all too tempting to put in a time-jump when there is a gap in production. I don't think Sunrise can resist this classic trope.
Old 2007-11-23, 09:50   Link #8
SonicX_Zero
Kill Kira

Personally they don't strike me as something bad nor do they strike as something really good or whatever, I think the character designs are okay.
SonicX_Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-23, 10:30   Link #9
fuzzles
anal retentive

Send a message via AIM to fuzzles
I don't see any problems with the female character designs, a lot of the past shows have had some pretty dull female ones I actually find it much better with these new designs, and so what if sumeragi's boobs are all in your face don't tell me you havn't had a chemistry teacher with double Ds lean over on the chem table trying to demonstrate an experiment with a low cut blouse. too bad she was a mrs . lol but seriously if boobs bother you that much you must not get out that much.

I also think they should've maybe given Tiera some outfits that didn't make me think he would be a female gundam Meister before the show came out. I don't mind his design they probably should've dressed him better though :P
fuzzles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-23, 13:05   Link #10
dreamless
/Ultimate Magic Attack!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallen Chaos Valiant View Post
I don't think Soma's chest size is that abnormal, at least from using real Asian female populations as a comparison. The fact that she doesn't act loli helps matters significantly. If Soma had a significant breast size, it would be over-exaggerated visually due to her short hight.

My theory is that, assuming Soma lives pass this first half of the show, she might be given some adult body proportions (and hight!) when the 2nd half airs.

It is all too tempting to put in a time-jump when there is a gap in production. I don't think Sunrise can resist this classic trope.
well, since Soma is a designer child, so I guess her... non-boobyfull-ness is just by the scientist's design

Quote:
well, the female lead, Marina, is not boobyfull neither... while the loli Felt is very boobyfull
dreamless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-23, 15:29   Link #11
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

This was posted in the discussion thread, though i believe that it also belongs in this thread.

Original Kouga Yun designs. Pretty sure you can spot the different with the female characters.

I love Yun's character designs. I've always said that they could adapt to any genre, and that's shown right here with Gundam 00. Saying that, she did do that rather awesome SEED doujin.
Old 2007-11-23, 16:59   Link #12
Slayerx

The character designs are rather 'meh' in my opinion. there not terrible like the gundam seed designs where half the characters looked the same, but they are nothing great. Their more typical anime in terms of design...

personally, i perfer it when the designers push things much furthar in shape; it gives the character more appeal, making them much more interesting
Slayerx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-23, 18:36   Link #13
lubczyk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slayerx View Post
The character designs are rather 'meh' in my opinion. there not terrible like the gundam seed designs where half the characters looked the same, but they are nothing great. Their more typical anime in terms of design...

personally, i perfer it when the designers push things much furthar in shape; it gives the character more appeal, making them much more interesting
Care to give examples?
Old 2007-11-23, 18:45   Link #14
Dagger
Nitro+ fan

Big Kouga Yun fan here, so naturally I love the Gundam 00 character designs. Sunrise is doing a pretty good job with them, although I like the original sketches better.
Dagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-23, 19:09   Link #15
Slayerx

Quote:
Originally Posted by lubczyk View Post
Care to give examples?
well, a more extreme example pushing the shape of the character would probably be one piece... but i'm just saying that just to give an idea what i mean... though that would not fit gundam at all
Though i'm having trouble thinking of a more relvent example... preferably sticking to animes... though i'm not to sure off hand... at the moment i'm thinking cowboy beebop as being more relevent though i'm not sure if that's what i'm thinking... haven't watched it in a while... maybe bleach... full metal alchemist might be another one... hard to think about these off hand... though thinking about it, it was probably wrong to use the term "typical anime" since such a thing can not be defined since there are quite a few exceptions to what i was thinking about when i wrote that

i guess one thing i can't help but think is that the characters in gundam 00 still have a similar general body shape to them... those around the same age as eachother seem to share a similar body build, similar muscle, similar hieght, prettyboy looks, similar head shapes (similar, as in not the same, but close to it)... it would be more interesting to see things pushed more... having characters that had a lot more muscle build, or characters that were noticably much taller than others, or noticably shorter... and god forbid a character might be ugly or overweight... a character doesn't need to have a "handsome" design to have an interesting character design... i guess that's what i get from most of the character designs in gundam 00

i don't know... to me... not many of the characters seem to really stand out in my mind... a few do, but not many... though this is all just my opinion really
Slayerx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-24, 00:25   Link #16
X207
Gamyūsa

i find the character designs are OK, some look normal but the others are just plain bizarre.
X207 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-24, 00:39   Link #17
Nvis
Where are the good animes

I don't really like the "eye" drawings. You know that kind of drawing for the eyes where the top part of the eye is flat. Gives them all a kind of evil look.

A few characters in a series is fine, but not all of them.
Nvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-24, 00:42   Link #18
Revolutionist
Puppet Master

Quote:

The men: Too idealized, not enough muscle. Also too tall for the most part.

They're all better than the Seed (Destiny) designs, though, which saw anorexic teens with arms I could encircle with one hand as the norm. Though the over emphasis on "Captain Earthquake" Sumeragi, spiritual sister of the infamous Captain of the ArchAngel, is becoming a bit much. I swear, they're going to throw in an earthquake one of these episodes, just for fanservice and to make an awkward scene.
How are the men too tall? They seem average for the most part, Graham, Lockon, Tieria, Allelujah, Ali, Professor Eifman all seem between 5'8'' - 6'. That's not too tall, too tall would be someone between 6'6'' - 7'

Also, you think the women having big breasts is bad? O_o

Btw, how tall do you guys think Setsuna is? Just guesstimate.

Last edited by Revolutionist; 2007-11-24 at 00:44. Reason: Setsuna's height
Revolutionist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-24, 01:46   Link #19
lubczyk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slayerx View Post
well, a more extreme example pushing the shape of the character would probably be one piece... but i'm just saying that just to give an idea what i mean... though that would not fit gundam at all
Though i'm having trouble thinking of a more relvent example... preferably sticking to animes... though i'm not to sure off hand... at the moment i'm thinking cowboy beebop as being more relevent though i'm not sure if that's what i'm thinking... haven't watched it in a while... maybe bleach... full metal alchemist might be another one... hard to think about these off hand... though thinking about it, it was probably wrong to use the term "typical anime" since such a thing can not be defined since there are quite a few exceptions to what i was thinking about when i wrote that

i guess one thing i can't help but think is that the characters in gundam 00 still have a similar general body shape to them... those around the same age as eachother seem to share a similar body build, similar muscle, similar hieght, prettyboy looks, similar head shapes (similar, as in not the same, but close to it)... it would be more interesting to see things pushed more... having characters that had a lot more muscle build, or characters that were noticably much taller than others, or noticably shorter... and god forbid a character might be ugly or overweight... a character doesn't need to have a "handsome" design to have an interesting character design... i guess that's what i get from most of the character designs in gundam 00

i don't know... to me... not many of the characters seem to really stand out in my mind... a few do, but not many... though this is all just my opinion really
Like those of Zipang or Silent Service where characters age and build differences are obvious, along with people having proper noses instead of triangles?
Old 2007-11-24, 01:52   Link #20
lubczyk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revolutionist View Post
How are the men too tall? They seem average for the most part, Graham, Lockon, Tieria, Allelujah, Ali, Professor Eifman all seem between 5'8'' - 6'. That's not too tall, too tall would be someone between 6'6'' - 7'

Also, you think the women having big breasts is bad? O_o

Btw, how tall do you guys think Setsuna is? Just guesstimate.
Setsuna looks around 150 to 160 cm. He could be less than 5 feet, I'm hard for westerner to judge height in animes since Southeast asians are generally shorter than European whites.