AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Archived Manga & Light Novel Discussion

Notices

Old 2008-08-02, 09:31   Link #241
nthn
dutch otaku

archonia.com is great !
i always buy manga on archonia.com (i live in the netherlands...)
nthn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-11, 23:09   Link #242
Zicue

Harlem Beat Volume 4???

Does anyone know where to buy a decent priced copy of this manga?
It's discontinued and seems hard to find. I don't mind an old library copy, but I'm hesitant to spend close to $40 on it.
Zicue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-17, 16:56   Link #243
KoiNoDensetsu
今日、海をみた。もう恐くない。

Does anyone know where I can find a site that sells Japanese manga for a good price and ships to America? All of the sites I see people post for Japanese manga have prices that are either equal to or above the yen price of the manga (example: a manga will be priced, say, $5.00, when it really only cost 480 yen ((and 100 yen is equal to less than $1.00 U.S. Dollar, so the price should really be more like $4.00!))). I would want a site that would (preferably) have english translations of the Japanese page (like what amazon.co.jp does) or be an original English site.

I'm thinking of ordering from amazon.co.jp, since they are the only English-friendly site I can find that doesn't have crazy prices. But still, their prices for their manga aren't discounted either, they are just not overpriced.

On the amazon.co.jp site, they said that when they bill me on my credit card, it will be converted into my currency (dollars). Do all foreign sites do this, or is amazon just one of the few sites like CDJapan that will convert it for you?
KoiNoDensetsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-17, 18:47   Link #244
Zoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoiNoDensetsu View Post
(example: a manga will be priced, say, $5.00, when it really only cost 480 yen ((and 100 yen is equal to less than $1.00 U.S. Dollar, so the price should really be more like $4.00!))).
That's really exagerrating. Today, 480 yen is around $4.35.

Pretty much all foreign sites that display their prices in yen will charge you in yen. However, the majority of credit card companies will add transaction fees for currency conversions.
Zoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-17, 19:37   Link #245
KoiNoDensetsu
今日、海をみた。もう恐くない。

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoe View Post
That's really exagerrating. Today, 480 yen is around $4.35.

Pretty much all foreign sites that display their prices in yen will charge you in yen. However, the majority of credit card companies will add transaction fees for currency conversions.
I knew I wasn't giving an exact rate (I've almost never seen manga priced exactly $_.00 amount of dollars; they usually have a certain amount of cents added).

Is there anywhere where I can get a rates for how much the transaction fees would be? Would it usually be equal to the yen rate (changing the currency rate to make 100 yen=$1.00)?
Old 2008-08-18, 07:42   Link #246
Zoe

Quote:
Is there anywhere where I can get a rates for how much the transaction fees would be? Would it usually be equal to the yen rate (changing the currency rate to make 100 yen=$1.00)?
It would be in your credit card agreement. And you can get the daily exchange rate from XE.
Zoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-18, 15:57   Link #247
KoiNoDensetsu
今日、海をみた。もう恐くない。

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoe View Post
It would be in your credit card agreement. And you can get the daily exchange rate from XE.
I'll have to check that out.

Thanks for the site.
Old 2008-08-19, 18:28   Link #248
Nervous Venus

nippon-export.com (owned by matthew) is really a lot cheaper. It's english-based. I was wavering between that and amazon.co.jp, since nippon didn't have some of the newer (and older) releases, but decided to go with nippon and emailed them to request manga by ISBN. They found them all for me and the shipping was a lot cheaper.
Old 2008-08-20, 13:01   Link #249
Ryu-kun
Dragon - Igniton
*Scanlator

Send a message via MSN to Ryu-kun
I go to

Borders
Anime Nation
Otaku Goods
Yes Asia

Click siggy to join Toradora club~
Ryu-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-23, 15:55   Link #250
totaln00b

See username, this is my first post here because it's the best resource I found whilst googling. I'm trying to learn to read Japanese, and I'd love to get my hands on some Japanese manga to help immerse myself. My usual site for ordering from Japan so far has been 1999.co.jp (/eng), and only because of their great navigation and Gundam model selection. They only sell erotic manga as far as I can tell, which is where my problem lies.

Specifically, one manga I'd really love to get is (Kureyon/Crayon) Shin-chan. Mostly, I find the comics hilarious and from what I've seen they have the small kana for aiding people who haven't picked up their kanji yet. When I search amazon.co.jp though, all I can find is something that translates to "Shin-Chan the Little Horror". Hope the link works.

What the heck is this product? Also, on 90% of the sites I've checked, they might even picture the Japanese version of the manga but they're really selling the American translation when I check reviews. Does anyone have any suggestions for stores or ways to ensure I'm getting the Japanese version (aside from writing and requesting, which I could do as a last resort)?
totaln00b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-24, 01:11   Link #251
KoiNoDensetsu
今日、海をみた。もう恐くない。

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nervous Venus View Post
nippon-export.com (owned by matthew) is really a lot cheaper. It's english-based. I was wavering between that and amazon.co.jp, since nippon didn't have some of the newer (and older) releases, but decided to go with nippon and emailed them to request manga by ISBN. They found them all for me and the shipping was a lot cheaper.

That site doesn't seem to have as high prices as most other English based sites, but it still seems to be higher than amazon's. Buying a volume of I''s Complete Edition (Wideban... or whatever it's called) costs 980 yen on amazon, but costs 1127 yen on Nippon-Export. It's the same with other manga.

Thanks, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taku-kun
I go to

Borders
Anime Nation
Otaku Goods
Yes Asia
I'm not sure if your responding to me (probably not), but those places don't have very good selections (or prices) of Japanese manga either.

Which reminds me, is Borders even supposed to carry Japanese manga? I remember one time I went to a large store far away from me and they had a Japanese tankoban of Pastel. They had the English edition of the same volume right next to it, so I was shocked to see it. The only indication of it being at all English was a sticker on the back of it with the price ($10.95). I wonder if they somehow received a Japanese volume from their warehouse, or something?

Quote:
Originally Posted by totalN00b
See username, this is my first post here because it's the best resource I found whilst googling. I'm trying to learn to read Japanese, and I'd love to get my hands on some Japanese manga to help immerse myself. My usual site for ordering from Japan so far has been 1999.co.jp (/eng), and only because of their great navigation and Gundam model selection. They only sell erotic manga as far as I can tell, which is where my problem lies.

Specifically, one manga I'd really love to get is (Kureyon/Crayon) Shin-chan. Mostly, I find the comics hilarious and from what I've seen they have the small kana for aiding people who haven't picked up their kanji yet. When I search amazon.co.jp though, all I can find is something that translates to "Shin-Chan the Little Horror". Hope the link works.

What the heck is this product? Also, on 90% of the sites I've checked, they might even picture the Japanese version of the manga but they're really selling the American translation when I check reviews. Does anyone have any suggestions for stores or ways to ensure I'm getting the Japanese version (aside from writing and requesting, which I could do as a last resort)?
Well, I'm not into ero-manga, so that site won't help me, LOL.

As for クレヨンしんちゃん (Shin-chan), check here. If you ever want to find Shin-chan manga without that link, just copy-and-past the Japanese characters I posted before the link.

You're not going to be able to find many Japanese manga without typing in hiragana/katakana. To find out how to type in Japanese, google "How to type in Japanese". If you don't want to do that (you should), you can copy-and-paste the characters that animenewsnetwork posts under their Alternate Title column on each individual encyclopedia page.

You might also want to check out hesjapanese.com. That's a good site to learn Japanese from.
Old 2008-08-24, 03:34   Link #252
totaln00b

Quote:
Well, I'm not into ero-manga, so that site won't help me, LOL.

As for クレヨンしんちゃん (Shin-chan), check here. If you ever want to find Shin-chan manga without that link, just copy-and-past the Japanese characters I posted before the link.

You're not going to be able to find many Japanese manga without typing in hiragana/katakana. To find out how to type in Japanese, google "How to type in Japanese". If you don't want to do that (you should), you can copy-and-paste the characters that animenewsnetwork posts under their Alternate Title column on each individual encyclopedia page.

You might also want to check out hesjapanese.com. That's a good site to learn Japanese from.
I'm not *quite* that hopeless, as I can already copy-paste クレヨンしんちゃん well enough (and almost even read it, sort of, on a Wednesday). I was just scared because Amazon recycled the descriptive text from the American version of the comics, and the first review claims it's read left-to-right, although that could again be Amazon mashing things together. I guess a better way to phrase it is- even when Amazon messes up the product page like that, I am still actually getting the Japanese manga when I order from the *.jp site, right? (The listing I mentioned was the only one to be English-version-description-free, so I thought it was my last hope.)

Thanks for the site link, btw. Looks helpful. On a learning and somewhat topic-related note, in case it can help anyone else, what got me into wanting the Japanese manga in the first place was "Learn Japanese the Manga Way", which uses real manga panels to teach the language, and is one of the most brilliant ideas for a language course I've seen in a while. It has full references to all the manga it uses, usually including descriptions of which ones suit which level of learning. I'm also using "Kana/Kanji Pict-O-Graphix" for memorization, which has pictures in the shapes of the characters set to mnemonic phrases. Imagine mo (も) as "catch MO fish with two worms"... yeah, just try and forget that character now. I've tried.
totaln00b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-24, 14:34   Link #253
KoiNoDensetsu
今日、海をみた。もう恐くない。

Quote:
Originally Posted by totaln00b View Post
I'm not *quite* that hopeless, as I can already copy-paste クレヨンしんちゃん well enough (and almost even read it, sort of, on a Wednesday). I was just scared because Amazon recycled the descriptive text from the American version of the comics, and the first review claims it's read left-to-right, although that could again be Amazon mashing things together. I guess a better way to phrase it is- even when Amazon messes up the product page like that, I am still actually getting the Japanese manga when I order from the *.jp site, right? (The listing I mentioned was the only one to be English-version-description-free, so I thought it was my last hope.)

Thanks for the site link, btw. Looks helpful. On a learning and somewhat topic-related note, in case it can help anyone else, what got me into wanting the Japanese manga in the first place was "Learn Japanese the Manga Way", which uses real manga panels to teach the language, and is one of the most brilliant ideas for a language course I've seen in a while. It has full references to all the manga it uses, usually including descriptions of which ones suit which level of learning. I'm also using "Kana/Kanji Pict-O-Graphix" for memorization, which has pictures in the shapes of the characters set to mnemonic phrases. Imagine mo (も) as "catch MO fish with two worms"... yeah, just try and forget that character now. I've tried.
The English description most likely refers to the ComicsOne edition, since it says at the end of the review "--This text refers to an out of print or unavailable edition of this title.". Amazon probably put that there because you have your settings set on English.

Also, if you click the "このレビューの作者: Crayon Shinchan 1 (ペーパーバック) " link on the English review that's available, it will take you to the English edition. Just like with the description, amazon is probably taking it from the English edition.

Basically, as long as you can see a picture of a manga with Japanese text in it, or the price is some where under 1000 yen (English manga is expensive), you can tell it's a Japanese manga.

You may want to try setting your computer up so it can type Japanese. This can actually be a usuful Japanese training method. The way a lot of Japanese keyboards work is by having you type the romaji out, and then the computer will transfer it into Japanese. For instance, type "ku", get "く". While you type out stuff in romaji, you are also helping yourself learn Japanese.

Another helpful way is to play Japanese visual novels. Since nowadays, most visual novels have their dialouge spoken, as well as in text, you will eventually get to understand characters if you try reading them when they are spoken, instead of skipping trying to read the dialogue.
Old 2008-08-25, 12:15   Link #254
Nervous Venus

Quote:
That site doesn't seem to have as high prices as most other English based sites, but it still seems to be higher than amazon's. Buying a volume of I''s Complete Edition (Wideban... or whatever it's called) costs 980 yen on amazon, but costs 1127 yen on Nippon-Export. It's the same with other manga.

Thanks, though.
980 yen on amazon + shipping is a lot more than 1127 + shipping on Nippon-Export. But I buy manga in bulk so I wouldn't know if you were only considering purchasing a few items. I always buy in bulk for both sites and Nippon gives better discounts and, honestly, better service. This is from my experiences using both sites.
Old 2008-08-25, 23:51   Link #255
KoiNoDensetsu
今日、海をみた。もう恐くない。

Quote:
980 yen on amazon + shipping is a lot more than 1127 + shipping on Nippon-Export. But I buy manga in bulk so I wouldn't know if you were only considering purchasing a few items. I always buy in bulk for both sites and Nippon gives better discounts and, honestly, better service. This is from my experiences using both sites.
I thought amazon.jp offered free shipping...

Do you have any shipping rates?
Old 2008-08-26, 13:28   Link #256
Nervous Venus

amazon.co.jp offers free shipping only within Japan unfortunately.

Rates for shipping could be found here. They only offer expresss shipping:

http://www.amazon.co.jp/gp/help/cust...nodeId=1039606
Old 2008-08-26, 13:31   Link #257
Nervous Venus

Nippon may not have every item listed, but they can get used and new copies quickly (in less than a day) as long as you provide an ISBN or the title and author, and if possible, what site you found it on.

after you check it out with amazon, I usually do this with nippon to compare rates:

http://www.nippon-export.com/faq/5_1_en.html

I like to see which one will come out cheaper.
Old 2008-08-26, 13:55   Link #258
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

amazon.co.jp became MUCH less attractive when they dropped all but the most expensive form of international shipping.
yes-asia.com has very good shipping prices but they far too often have been unable to complete requested orders.

I've worked with nippon-export.com for several years and found them to be not only professional but even personally helpful. Example: I was looking for a poster of Fuuka from Yotsuba I'd seen on the web... sent them a pic and they actually tracked down that it was a poster advert placed on the public transit systems and they weren't able to snare a copy. I was very impressed they went to that length of trouble.
Old 2008-08-26, 21:47   Link #259
KoiNoDensetsu
今日、海をみた。もう恐くない。

Quote:
amazon.co.jp offers free shipping only within Japan unfortunately.

Rates for shipping could be found here. They only offer expresss shipping:

http://www.amazon.co.jp/gp/help/cust...nodeId=1039606
Damn. And it would have been perfect if they gave free shipping! Why does the shipping cost have to be so expensive? I was going to buy Clannad for close to half off, but it looks like it wouldn't be that cheap anymore.

Thanks for the links.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx
amazon.co.jp became MUCH less attractive when they dropped all but the most expensive form of international shipping.
yes-asia.com has very good shipping prices but they far too often have been unable to complete requested orders.

I've worked with nippon-export.com for several years and found them to be not only professional but even personally helpful. Example: I was looking for a poster of Fuuka from Yotsuba I'd seen on the web... sent them a pic and they actually tracked down that it was a poster advert placed on the public transit systems and they weren't able to snare a copy. I was very impressed they went to that length of trouble.
Oh, so they used to use cheaper international fees? How much cheaper did it used to be?

*sigh* I guess I'll have to try Nippon-Export... At least their manga isn't really overpriced like how some sites are. I hope the service is as good as it's supposed to be.
Old 2008-08-28, 13:08   Link #260
Nervous Venus

Vexx: Yesasia completes all of my orders, it just takes over a month. But understandably so, as I get newer issues, and those are most likely preorders 19 days ahead of the release. However, there were times where they took 2 months, and that was killer.

Quote:
Oh, so they used to use cheaper international fees? How much cheaper did it used to be?
amazon.co.jp used to have economy shipping. But now they only have the expedited one.

Tags
buying, import, japanese language, manga