AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Manga

Notices

Old 2011-04-02, 13:08   Link #41
Finestela

Quote:
Originally Posted by blade82 View Post
he surely came across a powerful mage who take him as a disciple (maybe the cat) and learn about Echidna and make asumption that it was Emma
But think about this for a minute. To him at that time, Emma was just a girl imprisoned. It's impossible to make that kind of connection without having some sort of evidences first.

Not to mention most people just assumes Echidna as a legend (the king did).
Finestela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-02, 14:23   Link #42
lightbringer
M9000

I like this. But, unfortunately, it does not feel like this manga will go on for long before getting canned.
lightbringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-02, 18:33   Link #43
outerelf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finestela View Post
But think about this for a minute. To him at that time, Emma was just a girl imprisoned. It's impossible to make that kind of connection without having some sort of evidences first.

Not to mention most people just assumes Echidna as a legend (the king did).
Yeah, but he had been researching how to seal Enchidna for what looked like a pretty long time. And not only was he researching, he was also training himself.

While originally he might not of known that she was Enchidna, somewhere he had to of guessed- maybe the briers that kept him out, the fact that he couldn't find her using his crystal ball, etc.

Or conversely he could've learned from the people keeping her imprisoned- because someone somewhere had to of noticed for her to end up like that. (By the way, I do think those two had to of done something to warrant her mind being wiped- I also think that Shion might not of been the only person she talked too and had her mind wiped about.)
outerelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-03, 00:22   Link #44
Irenicus
Le fou, c'est moi

Quote:
Originally Posted by aliasxn View Post
Awesome, now we get a loli. This manga just keeps getting better!
Lol yeah, a glutton of a loli too!

By the way what is that giant creature? Is it a pig or it is a bear? Or is it a pig-bear raccoon-like thing that tastes like chicken?
Irenicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-03, 01:13   Link #45
jzmagic
flargansbog

Quote:
Originally Posted by outerelf View Post
Yeah, but he had been researching how to seal Enchidna for what looked like a pretty long time. And not only was he researching, he was also training himself.

While originally he might not of known that she was Enchidna, somewhere he had to of guessed- maybe the briers that kept him out, the fact that he couldn't find her using his crystal ball, etc.

Or conversely he could've learned from the people keeping her imprisoned- because someone somewhere had to of noticed for her to end up like that. (By the way, I do think those two had to of done something to warrant her mind being wiped- I also think that Shion might not of been the only person she talked too and had her mind wiped about.)
It seems like he's known for a while who she truly was at some point when he was training to become a mage, or maybe before that. Regardless he's known for a while, because it was said he spent a long time researching Enchidna.
jzmagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-03, 01:46   Link #46
~Yami~
a random Indonesian otaku

lol....
it will be always interesting to see a 'baka' and awkward couple....lol
but I like the loli graphic and story....
hope they will not become a twisted story
~Yami~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-03, 04:52   Link #47
ShiroiRyu

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightbringer View Post
I like this. But, unfortunately, it does not feel like this manga will go on for long before getting canned.
LOL ?

Quote:
Issue #17:
Toriko (Cover)(Lead Color Page)
One Piece
Naruto
Sket Dance
Magico
Bleach
Meruhen Ouji Grim a.k.a Prince of Fairy Tale "Grim"
Crossover Toriko x One Piece (Color Page)
Sengoku Armors
Inumaru Dashi
Nurarihyon no Mago (Color Page)
Bakuman
Dois Sol
Kateikyoushi Hitman Reborn! (Color Page)
Enigma
Gintama
Kuroko no Basket
Beelzebub
Kochikame
Oumagadoki Doubutsuen
Hokenshitsu no Shinigami
Medaka Box
If this one is near the cancellation, goodbye Bleach and the other fifteen under this manga. ^^
ShiroiRyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-03, 05:20   Link #48
Westlo
Lets be reality

Doesn't count, new series aren't ranked until after 8 weeks. Sengoku Armors and Dois Sol are also in the same boat.
Westlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-03, 05:45   Link #49
outerelf

Well, I think that the author has kept his story pretty open-ended so far, and has only been keeping with main plot lines, so if it does get canned after eight weeks, we'll probably have 10 or so chapters. It's been five weeks already since it started, so in another three weeks we'll get the rankings back.

Quite truthfully however, it has quite a few hallmarks of being cut short. The characters are developed, but the fight scenes aren't as extravagant, or as long as the longer running manga. If we're lucky, the mangaka will continue by publishing tanboken, but probably not.
outerelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-03, 06:09   Link #50
ShiroiRyu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westlo View Post
Doesn't count, new series aren't ranked until after 8 weeks. Sengoku Armors and Dois Sol are also in the same boat.
But what is the reason about putting them her ? O_o
I'm sure you are right ...
ShiroiRyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-03, 12:23   Link #51
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

I like it. It’s a very simple manga. My only problem with it is that the main character is a little overpowered and the backstory a little shallow.
Old 2011-04-03, 12:26   Link #52
jzmagic
flargansbog

I think people are concerned of some of the similarities to Mx0 from WSJ, which ended up getting canceled. That series went up to almost 100 chapters before it got canned.

Regardless, if a crap series like Medaka Box can stay in serializiation despite continually finishing near bottom in the rankings, I'm not sure why we can't give Magico a shot to stay.
jzmagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-03, 12:33   Link #53
lightbringer
M9000

It just feels like it will be a short-lived series. I would personally prefer if it goes on for 100+ chapters - it's a somewhat unusual story for WSJ and it is quite charming in a way. If it's still popular two months from now then maybe we'll be past the critical stage, and I'll be happy that I was wrong.

I'd also like to see Bleach and Naruto canned but we can't have everything Those two will likely go on for a long, long time. Medaka Box should be canceled also, I have no idea why they waste paper on that.
lightbringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-04, 07:14   Link #54
Finestela

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westlo View Post
"It doesn't always count" should be the more precise phrase. The 8th chapter is usually the official chapter where its position in the ToC reflects its ranking. However, there are many instances where the series becomes "ranked" as soon as chapter 5 or 6 (or even earlier).

The rule of thumb is:
1. If the pre-ch.8 ToC placement sucks, it usually means it's going down.
2. If the pre-ch.8 ToC placement is high, it might or might not have good early reviews.

We won't know for sure until ch.8 and beyond. However, with decent pre-ch.8 placement, at least we know that it's not so bad that the editors decide to release early rankings to alert the readers.

Sort of a "no news is good news" type of deal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by felix View Post
I like it. It’s a very simple manga. My only problem with it is that the main character is a little overpowered and the backstory a little shallow.
Toriko = One of the strongest.
Neuro = Strongest.
Muhyo = Strongest.

As for backstory... I'm not really sure if there's any series out there with a really complicated backstory by chapter 5.
Old 2011-04-04, 07:26   Link #55
Westlo
Lets be reality

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzmagic View Post
Regardless, if a crap series like Medaka Box can stay in serializiation despite continually finishing near bottom in the rankings, I'm not sure why we can't give Magico a shot to stay.
In the last 3-4 months Medaka has ranked top 5 as well as been top 6-8 another 4 times. I doubt Magico ever does that, unless WSJ pull another Enigma and blatantly push it up the TOC. Medaka Box the failure did 54k opening week for volume 2, Enigma Volume 2 released in early March couldn't even break the Top 30 with the 30th manga selling 36k. Enigma has had stellar TOC rankings... I don't think I've seen it lower than in Issue 17.. otoh Medaka's ranking back in late 2009 were abysmal...

WSJ has obviously pushed some lesser series more than they should've been.. there was this period where whenever Kuroko fell into the Bottom 5 it would the next week get a color page and be unranked... this happened like 5 times in a row. It could've been a bottom 5 dweller for 10 weeks in a row but Jump saved it with color pages.. not that it would've mattered since it was selling in the same range as Beezlebub (pre anime), Sket Dance and Medaka Box. Psyren was doing far worse and you also had all those new series that were failures. I really don't think the TOC matters for Medaka Box.. I'm sure Shueisha know that the target audience for Medaka are rarely the type to fill in those polls.... Medaka's also pretty much the next Shueisha/Jump anime production unless I'm forgetting about something from Jump Square...

Last edited by Westlo; 2011-04-04 at 07:45.
Westlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-04, 09:02   Link #56
Finestela

They're pretty much apples and oranges. Medaka has a well-known script writer in Nishio, who also has a cult following from his light novels (me +1). For most, Engima's Sakaki Kenji is an unknown (other than the fact that he's a former assistant for Amano Akira). It's silly to try and draw comparisons to Oricon sales when they're at different starting point. Established fan base/fan intensity is the key to first week Oricon sales.

I mean just take a look at the insane first week sales number for Mayoi Neko and TLRD. The author's name plays a huge role in fan intensity, which is what the first week Oricon sales really measures.
Old 2011-04-04, 10:13   Link #57
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Quote:
As for backstory... I'm not really sure if there's any series out there with a really complicated backstory by chapter 5.
Point taken, however my problem with it is that they go ahead and kill the backstory with the girl entirely. Currently it’s just “boy randomly stumbles near thorn house, girl gives bread” and that’s it. I don’t know if the author can actually do anything to spice it up later with that kind of setup. The only mysterious element left is the cat.
Old 2011-04-04, 10:29   Link #58
aliasxn
Eye for an Eye

There's plenty we still don't know about their past. For one, we don't know how many times she's had her memory erased, so she could've met other people besides Shion. We also don't know anything about that armored guy who watched her, or the person who put her there. And we know that Shion stepped on a lot of toes on his journey to become a bad ass mage, so there's a lot of room there.

There's a lot of interesting stuff involving their past that could still be brought up, IMO.
Old 2011-04-04, 11:01   Link #59
Finestela

Quote:
Originally Posted by felix View Post
Point taken, however my problem with it is that they go ahead and kill the backstory with the girl entirely. Currently it’s just “boy randomly stumbles near thorn house, girl gives bread” and that’s it. I don’t know if the author can actually do anything to spice it up later with that kind of setup. The only mysterious element left is the cat.
Well, like the point I was trying to make in the previous posts, we don't know if that's their only encounter or not. If it is, then how in the world would Shion even get the idea that Emma = Echidna? It's impossible to make that kind of connection with just a loaf of bread.

For me, it's merely "what we've been given", not "everything this is to it".
Old 2011-04-04, 11:24   Link #60
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Quote:
Well, like the point I was trying to make in the previous posts, we don't know if that's their only encounter or not. If it is, then how in the world would Shion even get the idea that Emma = Echidna? It's impossible to make that kind of connection with just a loaf of bread.
Easy, she’s a little girl guarded by a golem. Even if he didn’t figure out she was a echidna, it’s not like he wouldn’t have figured out eventually given his research. Research which he would still have done anyway (in the pretext) given the circumstances (magic barrier, golem, etc). I don’t think the part about love at first sight was a lie.

Anyway, I understand what you’re saying, about how the author “could” pull a rabbit out of his hat, but since currently (wild speculation aside) the pretext is still “that’s all there was to it” even if he pulls a rabbit out of his hat it’s going to come out as cheap, compared to the equivalent scenario where their relationship was still semi-shrouded in mystery.

But anyway, I don’t care that much about all this, it’s just a nit pick. Currently it’s all pretty solid material overall.