Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2011-01-30, 03:36   Link #1
Offalmeier
This is my title.

Medieval Time Period

Well, my first thread. What a landmark, eh?

Anyway, I'm looking for a new anime, and I find myself most amused as of late by those based in the medieval time period, or look like they could equate to something close to it. Were it real life, between 1100 - 1500.

I've recently rifled through both Spice and Wolf seasons, along with The Sacred Blacksmith, and haven't been disappointed by either. That being said, I have no problem with fantasy elements.

So, if anyone could point me in a direction to something similar or near either of those two, it would be helpful and much appreciated.

And before anyone suggests Claymore, I've seen it. So, yeah.

Thanks in advance.
Old 2011-01-30, 05:00   Link #2
signorRossi

FYI, there is a 'medieval' tag on Anime-Planet.
From those I have seen I can recommend Arete Hime (no action and contemplative, though) and Heroic Legend of Arislan (unfinished unfortunately). Berserk may be o.k. too (I have only read the manga).
Old 2011-01-30, 06:48   Link #3
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

I would recomend the Tales of Vesperia film and Legend of the Legendary Heroes (Yes it's actually called that). Both have strong fantasy elements.
Old 2011-01-30, 08:43   Link #4
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Guin Saga might fit. It has the setting, the royals, etc., but Guin himself is a fantasy character -- a man's body with a leopard head.

How about medieval Asian lands?
Saiunkoku Monogatari
Twelve Kingdoms
Seirei no Moribito
Old 2011-01-30, 11:55   Link #5
xxanimefan4_ever
Sorri++

Slayers NEXT! It's season 2 but you don't have to watch season 1 to understand it really (maybe a little). I just find season 2 a lot better than season 1. this anime is like really popular and a classic. It has good characters (and the character chemistry), story, comedy, maybe a little romance (depends how you look at it). Also the voice acting is good..

I highly recommend it. I found it really enjoyable to watch. I'm not into fantasy anime but this anime executed it so well that even if you're not into fantasy you can get into this anime.
oh wait i re=read your post.. it's not new. it's like 1994? but honestly if you want good characters/story watch this.
Old 2011-01-30, 13:07   Link #6
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Obviously second Seirei no Moribito. I also think Shounen Onmyouji would work - not as great as Moribito but pretty underrated.
Old 2011-01-30, 15:19   Link #7
Offalmeier
This is my title.

Well, thank you all for the suggestions so far. I'll take a look at some of these first episodes and let you know of my impressions. As far as their descriptions go, it looks like they could all be pretty good. Some more light-hearted than others (a plus), but good nonetheless.
Old 2011-01-30, 21:19   Link #8
Autumn Demon
~

zero no tsukaima
guin saga
romeo x juliet
record of lodoss war
Old 2011-01-30, 23:45   Link #9
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Let me add the underrated romantic fairy tale Nishi No Yoki Majo: Astraea Treatment.
Old 2011-01-31, 00:05   Link #10
HimOsiris
第六隊隊長-Dai roku tai taichō

Quote:
Originally Posted by Offalmeier View Post
Well, my first thread. What a landmark, eh?

Anyway, I'm looking for a new anime, and I find myself most amused as of late by those based in the medieval time period, or look like they could equate to something close to it. Were it real life, between 1100 - 1500.
There are Heaps of these but first clarify when you say medieval Do you need only European Setting and theme cause it implies that generally but not technically.

For now lets see.. these are the European ones that come to mind apart from ones already mentioned above
Tears to Tiara
Berserk
kyo kara maoh!
Fairy Tail

Then there are Chinese and Japanese medieval settings also.
Old 2011-01-31, 15:31   Link #11
Kazu
Flowing

Berserk

the anime ends on a cliffhanger so read the manga from where the anime ends or you could just read the manga

WARNING contains lots of gore, rape, nudity, sex etc, so y'know just in case =)