Notices

Old 2009-11-19, 20:41   Link #81
Dragonbow0

I just got droid, and it is sexy....
Dragonbow0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-19, 20:44   Link #82
Gin
*Artist

If the droid wasn't from Verizon, I would totally buy one.
Old 2009-11-19, 20:55   Link #83
Epyon9283
Geek

Send a message via ICQ to Epyon9283 Send a message via AIM to Epyon9283
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyuusai View Post
- It doesn't move as smoothly as I expected. The lesser-powered HTC Eris, with HTC's custom UI, moves far more smoothly. (Also, the haptic feedback on the Eris is delightful.) Not Verizon's or Motorola's fault directly, but some one needs to say "Hey, things shouldn't look choppy on this video hardware" and fix it.
The only thing that's really noticeably not smooth is when you slide then notification bar down. Everything else is good enough IMO. Of course I'm used to having an iPhone 3G where it took 10 seconds for the stupid SMS app to open.

Also the phone has haptic feedback for certain things like hitting the four buttons below the screen or when hitting buttons on the number pad of the phone app. It's inconsistent.

Quote:
- Camera focus issues, as others are reporting. Seriously, how did it get out the door with this problem?
As someone who tests software for a living, it's easier than you'd think. It's quite possible the camera app was QA'd during a period where the camera worked since it's on a 24.5 day cycle. There probably weren't test cases that involved trying the camera on different dates.

Quote:
- I didn't expect the on-screen keyboard to be as good as the iPhone's... and I was right. It does work pretty well, though. The physical keyboard (membrane, ugh)? Utterly worthless. I've used worse, but not on anything that cost more than $100.
The on-screen keyboard sucks but it's easily replaced.

Quote:
- I didn't mind the "buttons" on bottom like I thought I would, but reaching for them really is awkward. They're pretty unnecessary, though. I know they can't copy Apple, but four little buttons all in a row with different functions that really ought to be done on the screen is kind of ridiculous.
I like the row of buttons there although they're good at hiding functionality when you're not used to using them.
Epyon9283 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-19, 20:58   Link #84
Epyon9283
Geek

Send a message via ICQ to Epyon9283 Send a message via AIM to Epyon9283
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gin View Post
If the droid wasn't from Verizon, I would totally buy one.
I used to hate Verizon since they butchered the functionality on their phones. The droid is pretty much untouched by them. There is a visual voicemail app that you can't delete but that's about it.

Their coverage around here is excellent and I get much higher speeds on 3g than I got on AT&T.
Epyon9283 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-19, 21:00   Link #85
Gin
*Artist

I have had really bad experiences with Verizon and their service is patchy where I live. I also hate that you have to pay for their music service to put songs onto you own phone.
Old 2009-11-20, 00:52   Link #86
Choukou

Send a message via AIM to Choukou Send a message via MSN to Choukou Send a message via Yahoo to Choukou
I own a Samsung BlackJack II.

I like it alright, would even love it, but for one glaring issue that consistently happens. Every couple of months I get this awful error that says:

"This ring tone file is corrupted or unavailable. Please choose a different ring tone."
After that comes up, I can't use any of the ringtones, not even the native defaults. Nor can I use any of the other sounds. It won't even let me put it on vibrate! I use to really customize my phone, had it all just the way I liked it. But in order to resolve that issue, the only solution I can figure out so far is a hard reset. I stopped bothering w/ the custom stuff b/c it's just too much of a pain if I'm going to have to redo it all.

When I upgrade, I will probably go with an iPhone.
Choukou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-20, 01:04   Link #87
mit7059

A couple of months ago I switched from Verizon to Sprint to get the Pre. I love it, but now that the droid is out I'm wondering if I should have waited.

More of a manga reader now than an anime watcher. Currently reading list here
mit7059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-20, 09:05   Link #88
Kyuusai
9wiki
*Scanlator

Send a message via AIM to Kyuusai Send a message via MSN to Kyuusai Send a message via Yahoo to Kyuusai
Quote:
Originally Posted by Epyon9283 View Post
Also the phone has haptic feedback for certain things like hitting the four buttons below the screen or when hitting buttons on the number pad of the phone app. It's inconsistent.
Thanks for the correction on that. I'll assume it was just turned off on the model I fiddled with. Haptic feedback is something I figured I would utterly hate when I heard about it, and I wasn't sure what to think when I saw some earlier devices use it. Some more recent devices have proven to me that, done right, it can be great. Good to know the Droid has it so I don't advise anyone improperly.

Quote:
As someone who tests software for a living, it's easier than you'd think. It's quite possible the camera app was QA'd during a period where the camera worked since it's on a 24.5 day cycle. There probably weren't test cases that involved trying the camera on different dates.
As some one who has occasionally written really crummy software in the path of making a living, I can believe it happened.

I wrote that just before learning that it happened on a 24.5 day cycle. Until then, I thought it just didn't work (after all, in the world of cell phones, basic features not working isn't unusual). Learning the actual reason makes me completely sympathetic to the poor folks who made the mistake. They're likely under a lot of pressure for a mistake that's so easy to make.

Quote:
The on-screen keyboard sucks but it's easily replaced.
Although I didn't care for it quite as much as the iPhone's, I actually didn't think the on screen keyboard is bad at all. If there are even marginal improvements available, I wouldn't have any issue with input on Android. No, my only input complaint is the physical "keyboard". Were I a Verizon customer looking to upgrade, I'd be really angry that they tried to put something so poor on a premium phone. If it's not usable for typing, it's only good for taking up space... which it does really well.

I shouldn't complain about the Droid, because as some one unwilling to be a Verizon customer, I shouldn't care (their lack of interference on the Droid is promising, but old habits die hard, so I'm watching cautiously). I'm really keen to see Android take on the iPhone, though, so any failures on a piece of hardware as influential to the public mindset as the Droid kill me a little on the inside.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake View Post
Stuff all these fancy touch screen, mp3 blasting, micro laptop camera phones the kids are all sporting these days.

I rock an old school PEBL.

HAVE THAT FASHION!
I love my giant touchscreen, I really do. But as much as I love it, I have to live with the pain of knowing that it will never be as much fun to fiddle with as a clamshell.

I await patiently
the gift promised to me.
Kyuusai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-20, 09:39   Link #89
chikorita157
ひきこもりアイドル
*IT Support

The Droid is more of a Windows Mobile killer than a iPhone killer... This is because Android is designed for different phones, which can have the same problem with screen sizes since depending on these devices, the screen size can be different which gives a different experience compared to the Palm Pre and iPhone which have their OS tied to the device... but Android will instantly kill Windows Mobile since Android experience is alot more user friendly and more pleasant than Windows Mobile and Windows Mobile still uses resistive screens.

Besides, Verizon Wireless does not work well where I live compared to AT&T (although I can't access their 3G internet sometimes.).
Old 2009-11-20, 22:56   Link #90
dasrune
smh

like a lot of people these days i have the iphone
dasrune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-21, 05:30   Link #91
Gin
*Artist

Can you still not send picture or video messages on the iphone?
Old 2009-11-21, 09:22   Link #92
Kyuusai
9wiki
*Scanlator

Send a message via AIM to Kyuusai Send a message via MSN to Kyuusai Send a message via Yahoo to Kyuusai
Quote:
Can you still not send picture or video messages on the iphone?
Picture and video messaging could always be sent on the iPhone, because it's simply... email. Really. There was never a technical reason for not doing "picture messaging" through text messaging application. Apple chose to not mix it into text messaging as a way to encourage people to use real email instead of the more cumbersome, more expensive hack. My sister and I exchanged picture messages all the time. I just sent to her MMS email gateway, and she sent to my regular email address. In an ideal world where every one had every one else's email addresses in their contact lists and checked their email on their iPhone, that would have been great. Of course, we live in the real world.

So, naturally, the idea never caught on. While waiting in line for my iPhone 3G, I met a guy who had a Blackberry and a second service plan in addition to his iPhone simply because he couldn't convince his relatives to send MMS messages to his email address.

Fortunately, Apple integrated MMS into the text messaging app as of the 3.0 version of their iPhone OS. It was then up to the carriers to enable support. Most did immediately. AT&T took forever, mostly because they worried that, as times before, the extra data consumed by users with iPhones (due to using them not being a pain in the behind like other smartphones) would be too much for their network to handle. We have it now, though.

I await patiently
the gift promised to me.
Kyuusai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-21, 09:32   Link #93
Gin
*Artist

Well its nice to be able to send pictures to people's phones since not everybody's phone has email access. And what about video? Last time I checked, iphones couldn't record video, is that still true?
Old 2009-11-21, 10:00   Link #94
Chaho-Chi
toptoptoptoptoptoptoptopt
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Chaho-Chi

Samsung comeback =)

Chaho-Chi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-21, 10:04   Link #95
chikorita157
ひきこもりアイドル
*IT Support

Quote:
Well its nice to be able to send pictures to people's phones since not everybody's phone has email access. And what about video? Last time I checked, iphones couldn't record video, is that still true?
The 3GS have the ability to record video as VGA with 30fps. For others, you need to jailbreak and install a program that allows you to record video
Old 2009-11-21, 10:56   Link #96
Choukou

Send a message via AIM to Choukou Send a message via MSN to Choukou Send a message via Yahoo to Choukou
Quote:
Originally Posted by ayu-smepai View Post

Samsung comeback =)
Do you like this one? Which carrier? Pretty snazzy, imo.
Choukou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-21, 11:02   Link #97
Gin
*Artist

If you look at the picture carefully, you will see the carrier
Old 2009-11-21, 12:34   Link #98
Walkingcatastrophy
Deep Anime Dude

cu920 at&t. Haven't had a single problem with the phone. It even survived Glycol submersion.
Walkingcatastrophy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-22, 01:42   Link #99
hunninomori
Kyouya's wife

SE k810i... going to get either c901i or c903i ^w^
hunninomori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-22, 21:25   Link #100
Click This
CEO of Asia!

Location: 167 East 51st St, New York, NY, 10022 - N40° 45.4097', W073° 58.2709'
Send a message via MSN to Click This
I have a Startac, a Treo 360, a Treo Centro, and a very, very generic prepaid cell phone, which is the one I use. A shame.

Click This is offline   Reply With Quote