3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 1 3.85%
1 out of 10 : Painful 1 3.85%
Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2016-08-11, 21:02   Link #261
Thess

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnuskn View Post
Alright, he regretted how Bodolza had to be killed by weapons, and so he did Macross 7. Then he did Macross Zero and Macross Frontier, so clearly that regret didn't sit very deeply.
I think you missed the point of the reason why I quoted it: Kawamori is contrasting the use of songs and the uses of weapons, not as "songs are weapons" but "songs are the anti weapons" of sorts. He doesn't even acknowledge weaponization. He says they can be used with bad effects like Sharon Apple (Leon/Galaxy controlling the Vajra and now Var Wind Song are just knock offs of that), but he didn't even label that as being weapon like. I wrongly also said weaponization when it doesn't even register in his answer. He clearly makes songs the opposite to weapons. That wouldn't be my personal logic, but that's apparently his.

Quote:
Yes, of course Bergers explanation is suspect. D'oh. If they did portray the guy as any more shady, they'd have to make him steeple his fingers all the time and cackle insanely between every sentence. Although his use of the pipe brought the point across nicely, too.
Which is to bring forth character development and get countered in the end. you do realize this, right? You know Freyja isn't going to say "yeah, singing is weapon, so gori gori!" There's a question mark Mikumo raised in early episodes, why do people sing for, what are songs for, what is music for. Sorry but I find it laughable that anyone would believe that Berger's theory would be the 'resolution'. It's obviously presented to be argued against, you know. Yes, he raises a couple of sound points but also he's full of holes. If he didn't raise a couple of apparent good points, we wouldn't have existential angst until they are solved.

Quote:
But that doesn't mean that you can just dismiss what he said in its entirety. Some of it will be wrong, sure. Other parts probably are not wrong. They might have been interpreted wrongly, but "music was used as a weapon" is a fact. If the use of music as a weapon is right or wrong is not a factor in determining if "music can also be a weapon" is a fact or not. Hell, I personally think "using music as a weapon is wrong" is a debatable point, when doing so has saved hundred of thousands of people against a genocidal enemy on many, many occasions.
Now, I do understand that music is used as a weapon sometimes, but Kawamori expressively used music as the opposite of weapons, in his speech. So I think that he'll just deny they can be used as weapons at all, but they can have negative consequences like Heinz' wind song. Something like that. I would have actually made a better reasoning of "music could be used as a weapon." But I'm unsure after Kawamori's statement just as he promoting Delta so... :/

However, that music was created as a weapon and all that conjure that ippus was saying as if that guy spoke the gospel is naively foolish. It's like buying Roid's "Windermere as master race" speech because it has just about the same reaching and circumstantional evidence, interpretation made by people who have an agenda (Beger sells weapons, duh!). I do agree with most of your points, but I'm not sure that Kawamori wanted to present them that way. So he'll just use Walkure as his mouthpiece about what songs are for. It's not necessarily that I don't understand or agree your point, but I don't believe that Kawamori will acknowledge them. If he does, I'll be pleasantly surprised.

Spoiler for Frontier:

"Who would understand you after I die? Who else would march forward by your side?"
Thess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-08-11, 21:46   Link #262
ippus
Pew Pew Pew!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thess View Post
Which isn't what Macross is about. What kind of franchise are you watching? God.
The one where moeblobs can sing her way into controlling an entire alien race to attack her own kind, the one where rockers can scare off aliens in musical ecstasy as they derived ACTUAL SURVIVABLE ENERGY OFF OF IT. The one where a flipping AI can mind control and a Squad of idols can explode entire structures and provide power up steroids. How about you? Does it involve a giant scary purple dinosaur?

Quote:
Using song as weapon is always presented as bad and never solves anything (and when it was used as weapon or as tool, Kawamori regretted it. He regretted the ending of DYRL, for example, and created Macross 7 from that regret). It's not its purpose when protoculture, in other shows, left clear they wanted their children to meet and co-exist. Song and culture are just a medium to reach out and make others listen not to defeat them. I think you're buying too much on the rhetoric of a sinister villain introduced to break the spirits of our plucky heroic idols until they give their own piece about what songs are for to btfo the bad guys in the inevitable finale. They'll angst a little, have a soul searching and give a heartwarming speech about UTA WAAA (CATCHPHRASE) and call it a day. Set up is fairly obvious.

(...)
Literally none of this matters. You can keep rambling on about Kawamori like you're the go to for every intention he makes, but this has nothing to do with what I'm talking about. Why would I bother arguing about this? There is literally no platform of which i can discuss this on as I have no stance in it. You make it sound like I just damned music to hell- I didn't.

But music in the show has been increasingly going down the path of "magical" and with the power came a whole lot of threat.

Quote:
Seriously. You're putting your trust in the interpretation of a shady merchant who is prolonging the war
Frankly I thought this way before shitty merchant insert came along. I've already said I thought his theories were a bore. You also seem to miss the fact that no, he's not completely wrong. If he was he'd sound a helluvalot less sinister.
ippus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-08-11, 22:19   Link #263
CrowKenobi
One PUNCH!
*Administrator

Please wrap up the current discussion since it really has nothing to do with the current anime episode and move it to a more appropriate thread.

Thank you.

EDIT: Triple R's post was so good that it was easily an opening post for a new thread!
CrowKenobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-08-12, 04:03   Link #264
ReddyRedWolf

Well I Berger and Roid as evil parallels of Dr.Chiba and Mao Nome.

Like Chiba Berger believe songs has power. Both are scientists but one believes in the power os songs and those individuals who sing them the other see it as weaponization.

Mao and Rod are both researchers of the Protoculture. Where Mao is probably looking at humanity's shared heritage and the whereabouts of of her loved ones Rod wants vindication of his species as being short lived is such a bad joke.
ReddyRedWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-08-12, 07:10   Link #265
HirouKeimou

Everyone fell into a big music debate. Okay, it's a weapon, even if it isn't canon, Macross II delved on this quite a bit, and Delta is now learning it outright. (Again, why is II not canon when it's been referenced in the last 2 entries in the franchise?) That said, it's not the biggest issue with this episode.

An entire episode is dedicated to explaining music in Macross (on a sinister level, agreed) but here is the issue: this episode should be dedicated to exploring a history lesson on Windermere or NUNS involvement in this war, etc. Things which are pieces of the plot are slipping more into the novel than the anime. Feels like us watching the anime are getting the shaft on the overall "story" which is pulling all these characters together.
HirouKeimou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-08-13, 01:17   Link #266
Convoy
Knight of Infinity

Quote:
Originally Posted by ippus View Post
Frankly I thought this way before shitty merchant insert came along. I've already said I thought his theories were a bore. You also seem to miss the fact that no, he's not completely wrong. If he was he'd sound a helluvalot less sinister.
The only thing I see wrong with Berger's theory is that the full capacities of singing + Protoculture relics have yet to be seen. Berger is right and the members of Chaos were just whining over nothing. A weapon is a weapon. What it does depends on who controls it.

Not to mention that their indignation about Berger's comments about Mikumo were baseless. Yes, Mikumo is their friend, but if she's a normal human, then some simple passive scans should prove or disprove it. None of them got off their asses to go check on it for themselves.

Last edited by Convoy; 2016-08-13 at 17:04.
Convoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-08-13, 04:43   Link #267
karice67
さっく♥ゆうきゃん♥ほそやん

Quote:
Originally Posted by HirouKeimou View Post
Everyone fell into a big music debate. Okay, it's a weapon, even if it isn't canon, Macross II delved on this quite a bit, and Delta is now learning it outright. (Again, why is II not canon when it's been referenced in the last 2 entries in the franchise?)
I can't remember which episode of the Macross Speakerpodcast this bit of info. was on--it may even have been on a related podcast that the main MSP host guested on (I've been listening to far too many podcasts recently )--but Kawamori apparently has come around to regarding Macross II as a legitimate fictional work in the universe...

So yeah, as of a few years ago (at least), it does have the same status as all the other 'fictional representations of history' that we know of.

How Suetsugu Yuki drew the cover for Chihayafuru volume 34

Interview translations etc

You must free yourself from that illusion,
from the illusion that a story must have a beginning and an end.

"No, you are not entitled to your opinion... You are only entitled to what you can argue for.”
- Patrick Stokes

karice67 is offline   Reply With Quote