3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 1 3.85%
1 out of 10 : Painful 1 3.85%
Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2016-08-07, 22:25   Link #61
Thess

Quote:
Originally Posted by stray View Post
Well, we haven't seen Ranka for a while, and I suppose its possible she looks like Mao now but... I dunno, I kind of chalk this one up to a Protoculture fail-safe, kinda like replicants or something. Lord knows they have had a spotty history when it came to genetic engineering.
Ranka's and Sheryl's bacteria are in their guts (they are safe). Besides the condition of Windermerians isn't like Var or the disease Sheryl had, it affects them physically like their skin 'cracks' and rapidly aged after they hit 30. I don't think they are affected by the Vajra's bacteria rather by their own natural fold (Windermere is Fold Paradise, plus their runes are sensitive to this).

"Who would understand you after I die? Who else would march forward by your side?"
Thess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-08-07, 22:31   Link #62
Tak
Catholic = Cat addiction?

Quote:
Originally Posted by stray View Post
Well, we haven't seen Ranka for a while, and I suppose its possible she looks like Mao now but...
Huh!? How!?

She would not even be her 20s in 2060.

- Tak

Remember, the toes you step on today may be connected to the @ss you have to kiss tomorrow.
Tak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-08-07, 23:34   Link #63
Kazu-kun

So, I wonder why Berger decided to deliver this massive infodump. What does he get from this?
Old 2016-08-07, 23:37   Link #64
D-Joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazu-kun View Post
So, I wonder why Berger decided to deliver this massive infodump. What does he get from this?
Kawamori sent him for saving budget.
D-Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-08-07, 23:55   Link #65
stray
Speedy Sea Cucumber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tak View Post
Huh!? How!?

She would not even be her 20s in 2060.
Its 2067 isn't it? She would be mid 20's now... although I was being kind of sarcastic regardless.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thess View Post
Ranka's and Sheryl's bacteria are in their guts (they are safe). Besides the condition of Windermerians isn't like Var or the disease Sheryl had, it affects them physically like their skin 'cracks' and rapidly aged after they hit 30. I don't think they are affected by the Vajra's bacteria rather by their own natural fold (Windermere is Fold Paradise, plus their runes are sensitive to this).
For Sheryl and Ranka to be "safe" and the Windmereans to suffer from calcification kind of implies a flaw somewhere. Either the Protoculture didn't quite get it right or they made it so the Windmereans have a short lifespan by design.
stray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-08-08, 00:26   Link #66
HirouKeimou

Quote:
Oh yes, Thess,

Spoiler for continuation question:
HirouKeimou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-08-08, 01:36   Link #67
Thess

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazu-kun View Post
It was in the script. The actor is probably someone famous who complained about getting a side role.

Quote:
Spoiler for continuation question:
Frontier is a tv series, remember that. It's probably just partly portraying what happened, like the movie version. Kawmaori said Vajra left the Galaxy after that which contradicts what happens in the tv show (they did leave in the movie). I think karice also has mentioned many times before that there's no real canon in Macross, just fictional portrayals of some real life events in Macross universe which Kawamori can change or omit at drop of hat.

"Who would understand you after I die? Who else would march forward by your side?"
Old 2016-08-08, 01:42   Link #68
Kazu-kun

Those "flashbacks" also have stuff from SDF and DYRL, so Kawamori doesn't give a damn about setting a clear continuity. He's mixing everything together.
Old 2016-08-08, 01:52   Link #69
Thess

Because it's all fictional anyway? It's like asking the movies or shows you watch of some historical event or period to be 100% accurate. Some get a few facts fairly accurate and fail in others.

Old 2016-08-08, 01:59   Link #70
HirouKeimou

Quote:
Frontier is a tv series, remember that. It's probably just partly portraying what happened, like the movie version. Kawmaori said Vajra left the Galaxy after that which contradicts what happens in the tv show (they did leave in the movie). I think karice also has mentioned many times before that there's no real canon in Macross, just fictional portrayals of some real life events in Macross universe which Kawamori can change or omit at drop of hat.
I mean which one is it following (series or movies) based off the information we are shown in Delta right now? Because although Kawamori says it's off the movies (Vajra gone), I also stare at that scene and wonder why every other series (including Plus and 7) got new animation for this filler episode except Frontier which only receives a modified animation of episode 25's ending where the Vajra abandon their planet and the Queen's head is falling off (which doesn't happen in the movies). This is becoming as bad as Gundam (continuation of which universe).
Old 2016-08-08, 02:05   Link #71
Kazu-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by HirouKeimou View Post
I mean which one is it following (series or movies)
Probably Both.

Quote:
This is becoming as bad as Gundam (continuation of which universe).
Kawamori already said he doesn't care about continuity. It's in an interview posted in this board, I think.
Old 2016-08-08, 02:59   Link #72
karice67
さっく♥ゆうきゃん♥ほそやん

Quote:
It was in the script. The actor is probably someone famous who complained about getting a side role.
That's not how anime screenwriting works, and you know it.

I know you're frustrated at certain character arcs and what not, but could you please stop making snide comments that other viewers might take seriously because they know that you check Japanese sites/discussions and thus presumably know more than most?

For the record, I thought this was quite a poorly written episode. Not knowing exactly where the story will end, I can't say whether the info revealed in this episode was necessary or not. But the fact that it was pretty much dumped on us left a bad taste in my mouth, even if it did also advance the plot in a significant way.

How Suetsugu Yuki drew the cover for Chihayafuru volume 34

Interview translations etc

You must free yourself from that illusion,
from the illusion that a story must have a beginning and an end.

"No, you are not entitled to your opinion... You are only entitled to what you can argue for.”
- Patrick Stokes

karice67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-08-08, 03:19   Link #73
HirouKeimou

Quote:
Originally Posted by karice67 View Post
For the record, I thought this was quite a poorly written episode. Not knowing exactly where the story will end, I can't say whether the info revealed in this episode was necessary or not. But the fact that it was pretty much dumped on us left a bad taste in my mouth, even if it did also advance the plot in a significant way.
I believe it's even more of a filler than episode 15 for Frontier, and even that episode is a bit of an exposition dump.

I'll wager it's an episode for explaining what song is for in a Macross for newcomers. However, how many people does Kawamori believe are newcomers in his franchise at this point? Plus, if that's the case, this episode should have come around episode 5-10. Placing a filler episode here in a series where character arcs and plot progression should be going on is a bad move.
Old 2016-08-08, 03:32   Link #74
Gravitas Free Zone

Quote:
However, how many people does Kawamori believe are newcomers in his franchise at this point?
It is happening in sufficient numbers to be notable. It's weird for me to be effectively an ancient veteran in Macross discussions, and I caught up late.
Gravitas Free Zone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-08-08, 03:47   Link #75
Thess

Quote:
That's not how anime screenwriting works, and you know it.

I know you're frustrated at certain character arcs and what not, but could you please stop making snide comments that other viewers might take seriously because they know that you check Japanese sites/discussions and thus presumably know more than most?

That was mean to be a tongue in cheek comment, karice (I mean it as a commentary of Macross fiction within fiction, presumably Berger could be played by a famous actor who wants more screentime, rather than the anime industry VA wanting a bigger role. Sorry for the confusion).

I had no issue with his role (it's the doctor convenient plot device which made me raise an eyebrow). It was kind of foreshadowed by his reaction to Roid that he might not be fully onboard on Roid's plans. It does raises some questions about what is Lady M's connection with Epsilon which are hinted to be anti NUNS remnants and all. I speculated briefly Lady M could have been in charge of both Epsilon and Chaos when they first appeared as a crack theory based on the greek theme naming, not sure what to think now.

Old 2016-08-08, 03:48   Link #76
HirouKeimou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravitas Free Zone View Post
It is happening in sufficient numbers to be notable. It's weird for me to be effectively an ancient veteran in Macross discussions, and I caught up late.
I believe my issue with him doing it for newcomers is where this exposition dump is in the series. It's one thing to slowly build up to it in earlier episodes and slap it in your face in a short scene in this episode; but all of this required a full episode for it? It's not that I don't believe Delta has newcomers (idol singers attract attention); however, I argue it's not entirely necessary to explain every detail of every prior Macross so far. It's a little much... might even chase off newcomers who likely didn't even care.

My point is: this is unnecessary padding and exposition for this franchise. It's coming in the middle of what should be the build-up for the grand finale beginning. Of course, if this series had 36 episodes, I'd live with a filler episode like this to explain things; but at 26 with about 7 episodes to go... I'm inclined to call this a cop-out.
Old 2016-08-08, 03:55   Link #77
Random14

I have next to no idea what's going on, but...

Spoiler for clueless speculation:

The last third (?) of the series had better be full of substance after an episode like this.
Random14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-08-08, 04:00   Link #78
karice67
さっく♥ゆうきゃん♥ほそやん

Quote:
That was mean to be a tongue in cheek comment, karice (I mean it as a commentary of Macross fiction within fiction, presumably Berger could be played by a famous actor who wants more screentime, rather than the anime industry VA wanting a bigger role. Sorry for the confusion).
Thanks for clarifying. Do use a smiley or something to make it obvious next time, would you?

I have enough of a headache trying to deal with all the misconceptions floating around as it is...

How Suetsugu Yuki drew the cover for Chihayafuru volume 34

Interview translations etc

You must free yourself from that illusion,
from the illusion that a story must have a beginning and an end.

"No, you are not entitled to your opinion... You are only entitled to what you can argue for.”
- Patrick Stokes

karice67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-08-08, 04:00   Link #79
Thess

Quote:
Originally Posted by Random14 View Post
Heinz is probably dying with the way that doctor tried to tell Keith something.
He wanted to tell Keith something about Gramia.

Quote:
Thanks for clarifying. Do use a smiley or something to make it obvious next time, would you?

I have enough of a headache trying to deal with all the misconceptions floating around as it is...
I was in a quick reply move and I forgot the I didn't think anyone would take that seriously. Sorry!

Old 2016-08-08, 04:25   Link #80
Random14

Ah, ok, I can tell there's a secret, but I'm just guessing from the animation (I'm not good at picking up words or names).
Random14 is offline   Reply With Quote