AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2007-10-19, 16:43   Link #61
kenshinvn

Quite a good start for the first episode. Will watch the next one for further hope.

The art is not so impressive to me as I do agree with most of you. I'm a fan of DEEN (since my most favourite anime of all time is Rurouni Kenshin). Some of production can be trusted such as Maria-sama, ROD, etc... but somehow, recently, DEEN makes me sad. Their art work is very poor. Portrait of the face is OK but in general, the visual gives me the "flat" effect. Once I read about Shion no Ou, I did hope for the good art in anime but as you could see, it failed. Anyway, I will keep following because the direction had something good in it.

Some of us may watch this anime since we are fans of the production company/studio, or might figure out good things in plot/direction, or whatever. Just the way we want to do, to watch, to enjoy anime and that's all. I cannot capture the idea "If you have respect for yourself, you should want more than this bogus" by Mr/Ms SATAN. May a person be evaluated by some "low rate" anime or the genre of the film? I really don't think so. Everyone has his/her own interest and you can't force them or "teach" them as per your own idea. Neither the good or bad interest, it's personal. We discuss with each other, but we should not "judge" or "teach".
kenshinvn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-20, 08:51   Link #62
Tiberium Wolf

If this anime is to teach us about shouji then it completely fails.
Old 2007-10-20, 10:16   Link #63
NoOneKnowS
Who am I?

Just finish watching the first ep earlier. Not my type of anime though but kept me interested onto how the hell will she solve the mystery of her parents death just by playing shouji(sp?). And one more question; will that blue haired crossdresser guy have some romantic feelings towards shion or something? (yeah, Im a sucker at romance lol).
NoOneKnowS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-20, 15:07   Link #64
pathyfinder
Terabyte needs anime!

Don't know how I crept about to this anime, but I'm sure glad I have

I loved HnG! (even bought Dubs for my mom to enjoy), but I'm surprised I like it seeing as I'm not normally drawn into mysteries (as I'm grossly impatient)

Thanks Live Evil for a great sub, sure look forward to seeing more I hope, looks like there may be a lot of eps for this one.
pathyfinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-20, 15:51   Link #65
Jaden

Unlike HnG, the players in this anime don't start from scratch, they're almost professional level to begin with. So there won't be a chance to learn shogi from watching. While it's similiar to western chess, you won't understand what's going on there without expirience because it's hard to recognise the pieces at first and there are rules that add complexity compared to westrern chess. Still, I'd say Shogi is easier to learn than Go. Read up on the rules somewhere and knock yourself out.
Old 2007-10-20, 19:40   Link #66
Kanos
Milk...

Send a message via MSN to Kanos
Ok so if the blue hair guy is a boy, then how did he gets the fake boobs? I'm thinking breast implants, but that doesn't seem likely as they're expensive and he might as well use that money for his mom AND it's obviously not implanted cuz in his casual wear, he has a flat chest. Can anyone fill me in on HOW he got his magical boobs? Just doesn't make sense
Kanos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-20, 21:24   Link #67
gvozden
Waterproofed Legion

I thought same till I started reading about cosplay.

example

NSFW http://www.special-trade.eu/store/si...-size-h-12.php

Don't forget prosthetics that are used for women that had mastectomy.
-----

Hope that stalker is not main killer, since it is possible that famous people develop admirers.
gvozden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-20, 21:50   Link #68
way2slow

Send a message via AIM to way2slow
Spoiler for .:
way2slow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-20, 23:42   Link #69
kiseki_gurl
:.:A2M Staff Member:.:

Episode 2 Summary/Impressions:
http://anime2manga.com/20071021/shio...out-style.html

A LOT OF STUFF crammed in this one episode. It just shows what going on and brings us to our current setting. The whole stalker aspect is majorly overplayed when compared to the manga. Still, it's a good episode and very informative if you look carefully.

On another note, the animation dropped down EVEN FURTHER . Is Studio Deen still in debt from Kenshin or something o.O?
kiseki_gurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-21, 11:24   Link #70
Guido
Snobby Gentleman

Shion no Ou. First Impressions

Shion's Road

The first episode turned out better than my initial expectations when I first saw the pics at Omni's blog.

The animation was fitted for HD-TV which makes the colors rich and vivid, though the lighting is somewhat too flashy IMO.

I have never seen Hikaru no Go, but from what I could tell on the first episode is that Shion no Ou is an atypical sports anime.

Shougi is used here as a plot vehicle, and, therefore, it is not the theme for this series. The theme for this series lies that through shougi Shion would be approaching once again her grisly and murky past, and sooner or later she would have to face it or be haunted by it.

In fact, the other two main casts must have as well experienced their own share of mess in their pasts.

On another note, I was really glad to pick this title, since definitely it falls into my liking.

Furthermore, I researched a little bit further, and what I gathered is that the manga has been ongoing for about three years. So far five volumes have been released.
Henceforth, I presume the anime would only be adapting up to volume four, since the fifth manga volume came out on May this year.

In addition, I was very surprised to research the seiyuu who are lending their voices for the characters. Once again I was pleased to listen to Ayako Kawasumi as the voice of Shion.
And a sense of familiarity returned on me when I found out that Paku Romi voices Ayumi.

Overall, this title started with the right foot to me. I'm picking this up permanently as my fourth entry for this season, and I'll be dropping Night Wizard.
Guido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-23, 12:59   Link #71
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

Episode 2: Out. Standing. Animation dropped "even further"? Not for me. Excellent storytelling, in my book, with excellent characters and appropriate animation.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-23, 16:58   Link #72
kiseki_gurl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoru Chujo View Post
Episode 2: Out. Standing. Animation dropped "even further"? Not for me. Excellent storytelling, in my book, with excellent characters and appropriate animation.
The animation is appropriate at certain moments. For the rest...That's another story.
Old 2007-10-24, 05:56   Link #73
S_K
Let's begin!

Send a message via MSN to S_K
ep 2 is subbed
i cant wait to get my hands on this
S_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-24, 11:39   Link #74
tlynnec
LLE, Live-evil, DB Staff
*Fansubber

Opnions on the too groups subbing Shion no Ou

I'm just curious what everyone's opinions are on the two groups subbing Shion no Ou. What are everyone's preferences on Shoku-dan vs. Live-evil?
tlynnec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-24, 12:52   Link #75
Proto
Knowledge is the solution

This is only an opinion from ep.1 , but Shoku-Dan's translator seems new to the world of Japanese, and as such the translation has a lot of inconsistencies, innacuracies and parts when the translator just took a wild guess on sentence he probably only (mis)understood one or two words from. The edition and typesetting work is passable, but I couldn't stand a fan sub when even me with my lousy JLPT 3 level is doing better job. Live evil is your average fansub, it is quite okay in every deparment without being spectacular. But since you are a LE staffer it seems kind of a tricky question.

Personally I'll stick with raws to practice my Japanese
Proto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-24, 15:18   Link #76
tlynnec
LLE, Live-evil, DB Staff
*Fansubber

OK, I admit I'm fishing a bit, but we really want to know where we stand and what we can do to improve! So please, honest feedback from anyone is appreciated.
tlynnec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-24, 18:36   Link #77
Guido
Snobby Gentleman

The Secret

+

Those were my reactions upon watching the second episode. What happened? Why the animation staff reduced the quality of the animation to such an abysmal level?

The first episode is a visual experience. I think it uses cel-shaded animation with vibrant colors and crispy textures, but for the second episode it looked as if they changed the key animators staff that found easy to switch to just hand-drawn and ink to meet the deadlines in time.

At some shots it kept the quality of the first episodes like, for example, Saoris' eyes, but overall it is depressing to witness that such an interesting title is getting such an austere treatment near-right from the start.

We can only hope that the visual-animated aesthetics return to stay on next episode.

Seriously, the second episode fast forwarded the storyline by giant leaps that I nearly lost track of what went on.
Spoiler:
Old 2007-10-24, 19:27   Link #78
kiseki_gurl

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlynnec View Post
OK, I admit I'm fishing a bit, but we really want to know where we stand and what we can do to improve! So please, honest feedback from anyone is appreciated.
Honestly I think you guys are doing fine. Having notes at the end is a good idea so people can figure out what's going on. I'm going to be watching your subs after I watch the RAW every week .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guido View Post
+

Those were my reactions upon watching the second episode. What happened? Why the animation staff reduced the quality of the animation to such an abysmal level?

The first episode is a visual experience. I think it uses cel-shaded animation with vibrant colors and crispy textures, but for the second episode it looked as if they changed the key animators staff that found easy to switch to just hand-drawn and ink to meet the deadlines in time.

At some shots it kept the quality of the first episodes like, for example, Saoris' eyes, but overall it is depressing to witness that such an interesting title is getting such an austere treatment near-right from the start.

We can only hope that the visual-animated aesthetics return to stay on next episode.

Seriously, the second episode fast forwarded the storyline by giant leaps that I nearly lost track of what went on.
Spoiler:
You've certainly hit the mark on the animation.

As for your conspiracy theories and etc.:
Spoiler for Shion no Ou episode 2 events AND manga event:

Nonetheless, I'm eagerly waiting for episode 3. Especially since some of my favorite scenes (from waht I've read so far) are coming up.
Old 2007-10-24, 20:10   Link #79
S_K
Let's begin!

Send a message via MSN to S_K
Im really taking a liking in this series
animation quality is really good
Just a few predictions, and if someone can answer them
Spoiler for questions:

cant wait till next episode
S_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-24, 21:03   Link #80
Guido
Snobby Gentleman

Since I know nothing about shougi, I could not care less which groups are subbing the anime, as long as the quality of the translation makes a coherent sense.
And actually I would appreciate if both groups take their own time and pace at subbing the anime. I do not get along very well with speed subs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_K View Post
Im really taking a liking in this series
animation quality is really good
Just a few predictions, and if someone can answer them
Spoiler for questions:

cant wait till next episode
For question number one: yes, he is.

For question number two: they likely are hanging around the Shougi association to get their scoop on Shion, and likely overhead the rumors going around the death threats.

Tags
drama, games, loli, seinen, studio deen