AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Macross > Past Macross Series

Notices

View Poll Results: Macross Frontier - Episode 04 Rating
Perfect 10 40 37.04%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 44 40.74%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 20 18.52%
7 out of 10 : Good 2 1.85%
6 out of 10 : Average 1 0.93%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 1 0.93%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 108. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2008-04-24, 18:55   Link #21
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westlo View Post

No reason aside from it's Kaioshin, he's constantly comparing them. I'm eagerly awaiting him mentioning that the fanservice at the "beauty pageant" was not subtle like Gundam 00.
Well actually I was going to post a link to the original My Boyfriend Is A Pilot song, but since the series is licensed I think that's a no go. And why would I be upset about a Beauty Pageant not being subtle. A Beauty Pageant, or rather the infamous Miss Macross contest is the time to flaunt it and let it all hang out, both talents and beauty. Considering this an homage to the original classic episode right down to the song sung and I enjoyed that episode, I don't see why I would find a problem.
Old 2008-04-24, 19:01   Link #22
Westlo
Lets be reality

Post the vid from Flashback if you're worried about licensing. I was being sarcastic (forgot the smiley!) even though I do find your need to keep mentioning 00 pointless. Also why were you expectations for this show to be serious? What Macross TV show has been serious? It's like expecting the next slayers to be serious like Junni Kokki.
Old 2008-04-24, 19:16   Link #23
Tabris

Quote:
The character designer jokingly said that aging was something that average people did and not something for genius's lol. I'm sure someone can dig up the exact quote.
It was something about aging being a state of mind and stress, and that it didn't affect a genius such as Max as much, which is why he still looks so young.

Or something like that.

Oh, and looking at the pictures
Spoiler:
Old 2008-04-24, 19:27   Link #24
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:
Post the vid from Flashback if you're worried about licensing. I was being sarcastic (forgot the smiley!) even though I do find your need to keep mentioning 00 pointless. Also why were you expectations for this show to be serious? What Macross TV show has been serious? It's like expecting the next slayers to be serious like Junni Kokki.
Not need, convenience. That series is a gold mine when it comes to allowing me to draw comparisons between things. Don't ask me how that is though.
Old 2008-04-24, 20:02   Link #25
Lanis

Spoiler for Preview D: D: D::

whats going on there!!!?
Old 2008-04-24, 20:11   Link #26
Shouta
Infinite-Zero/Translator

Highly amusing episode although the animation consistency does take a nosedive. On the other hand, the CG looked really nice in this ep. O_o
Old 2008-04-24, 20:13   Link #27
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanis View Post
whats going on there!!!?
Sheryl checking to see if Alto is wearing her earring.

Joke.
Old 2008-04-24, 21:10   Link #28
Cadorna

Send a message via MSN to Cadorna
Well good ep, the entrace of alto's VF-25 in the catapul was a perferct representation of the original macross. some crapy animation in non fighting scenes, but overall maybe and 8 with subs
Old 2008-04-24, 22:09   Link #29
Zekori

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin_Sama View Post
I wonder why that is that she changes body frames when micronized. Is there some science behind it or is it just a reason to have a Zentradi loli?
It was mentioned on another topic about the MF Manga.

Spoiler:
Old 2008-04-24, 22:30   Link #30
brightman
Ancient Member

Quote:
Who did this get outsourced too? Some parts were horrible...
That's the sacrifice for having significantly more fluid animation than a certain other mecha series... More frames of animation but with less detailed and more sloppily drawn frames.

But still, personally I don't see how it is so terrible. The art still looks fine to me.
Old 2008-04-24, 23:16   Link #31
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

Continues to be enjoyable. I had no big problem with the animation. I just accepted the beauty contest for what it was, and done in a smoothed-out style. As for including such a thing, even Shakespeare had comic relief and fanservice. But I was so glad they didn't stretch credulity and have Lanka win.

Most impressive was Toyoguchi Megumi as both forms of Kuran Kuran. Whatever the putative science behind it, I think the real answer is as Kaioshin suspects: it's a way to get a tsundere loli in the show.

I have a page giving pics of each character and their VA, as well as some info about each VA. I just updated it to include new pics that have shown up on the official site's characters page, as well as Kuran Kuran (why does ANN call her Klein Klan?).
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.
Old 2008-04-24, 23:18   Link #32
Nightengale
~Night of Gales~
*Author

Hey, Macross Frontier's scripting may be pretty solid and well-done, but it's still written by Yoshino. Loli mode shark tsundere Klien Klan is just up his alley.

Animation and design is still solid in this episode in my opinion, other than several key-frames. Sure, the consistency of the animation dipped a little, but this is where you either favor Kyoto Animation's style of 'consistent consistency' or not minding mixtures/alternatives in animation, like Noein or whatever.

I still think the color palette for Macross Frontier looks horrible though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brightman View Post
That's the sacrifice for having significantly more fluid animation than a certain other mecha series... More frames of animation but with less detailed and more sloppily drawn frames.

But still, personally I don't see how it is so terrible. The art still looks fine to me.
To be fair, that certain other's animation directors were never about fluidity to begin with.

The sleeping lion shall awaken beyond the depths of time, crossing ten billion lights, come to Terra.

Last edited by Nightengale; 2008-04-24 at 23:31.
Old 2008-04-24, 23:47   Link #33
Onizuka-GTO
Holy Beast ~Wuff!~
*Scanlator

Send a message via MSN to Onizuka-GTO
not sure if i like having shouta's and loli's in macross.....

but then again, i found the idea of a musician with his own valkyrie, flying around trying to sing the enemy to surrender was pretty ridiculous, and i ended up cheering/singing/crying at the end of the series.

i have to think on it.
i hate the shouta, if he was a genius, then maybe i'll accept him, but....he's at my limit.

i think they are trying to add unnecessary elements to macross formula to try and "update" it to match current anime series/otaku's taste.

while i can see the rational, i dunno if it's suitable for the macross series.

At this rate, we gonna have a dance routine put in ala haruhi style.

:/
Old 2008-04-25, 00:03   Link #34
krln99

Overall, I loved it. The Varja definitely have a thing for Zentradis. I assume it's because
Spoiler:

The "My Boyfriend is a Pilot" song mixed with the fighting was a direct homage to the original series and very well done. The next episode also looks to be a homage, the "date" episode, although it looks like Alto's date will be with Cheryl and not Ranka.

BTW, does anyone love the retarded soda machines that seem to but in at the most inappropriate time?
Old 2008-04-25, 00:25   Link #35
NoOneKnowS
Who am I?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onizuka-GTO View Post
not sure if i like having shouta's and loli's in macross.....

but then again, i found the idea of a musician with his own valkyrie, flying around trying to sing the enemy to surrender was pretty ridiculous, and i ended up cheering/singing/crying at the end of the series.

i have to think on it.
i hate the shouta, if he was a genius, then maybe i'll accept him, but....he's at my limit.

i think they are trying to add unnecessary elements to macross formula to try and "update" it to match current anime series/otaku's taste.

while i can see the rational, i dunno if it's suitable for the macross series.

At this rate, we gonna have a dance routine put in ala haruhi style.

:/
We need over the top emo characters crying for peace while owning everyone in battle too. And It'll be a complete mecha series.

Still downloading the raw. >_<
Old 2008-04-25, 04:45   Link #36
Hypernova

Location: Virgo Supercluster, Milky Way, Orion Arm, Sol, Earth, Taiwan
The dive in animation in many none fighting shots was noticeable. But then again I'm watching for the fights so it's no that bad.

I thought the human energy weapons were engineered from Zentrindi tech? What's with the huge difference in fire power from the gun thousands of years old?
Old 2008-04-25, 06:10   Link #37
ReddyRedWolf

Well the Zentradi themselves did not understand their own tech.

Their tech is mass produced on massive automated factories.

Given the level of advancement I assume Terrans reversed engineered the technology like the SDF-1.

Originally Terran tech was based on Supervision Army tech.
Old 2008-04-25, 06:34   Link #38
wao
OK.

Meh, I personally enjoyed this episode enough to come here and post about it - taking out the usual fun cheese you expect from Macross (heart formations synchronizing with the song... the expected PUSH-GIRL-INTO-BOY bit...) I thought it actually felt a bit more coherent and smooth than usual. For example the cutting and timing of scenes felt nice and there weren't any strange camera movements that annoyed me.
I even giggled a bit during the restaurant scene when Luka quietly zipped off when Ranka and Alto started talking. Nice one there

Spoiler for rambling on teh animation:

I do have a problem with the concert scene though, and it isn't the "off-model animation" but the colours and application of special effects to her hair. It doesn't fit the animation style that much. And while the movement is great (I think the best part was that slightly long shot where she's singing "jibun no hikouki") I wish some movements were a bit slower. I guess it wouldn't have worked out in terms of frames, or time taken to animate...

For anyone who's interested this episode's storyboard was done by Kazuki Akane (Escaflowne, Heat Guy J, Noein etc) and most of the key animation was not outsourced to other countries, it seems more full of young people, the only two I clearly recognize are yama (Shingo Yamashita, apparently he did the concert scene; I'm pretty sure some insider would've denied it on 2ch by now if it was otherwise) and coosun (Kenichi Kusuna, originally a GIF animator)

And it seems like a good part of the in-between animation was done in Japan too (I can only imagine Madhouse and Nara Animation using mostly non-Japanese) so... Right I'm done.
Old 2008-04-25, 06:37   Link #39
Jazzrat
Bearly Legal

I no longer be able judge this series with a neutral mindset. Animation quality drop? didn't notice much of it. The singing, the dogfights, the characters and my infinite love for all thing macross have pretty much deemed this episode most enjoyable.

The part where Alto got punk'd with makeups was hilarious.
Old 2008-04-25, 07:08   Link #40
Tabris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zekori View Post
It was mentioned on another topic about the MF Manga.

Spoiler:
That, and I was just thinking it's also a better way to express her personality changes. We've seen that klan klan's expression of her 'self' is totally different between piloting as a full sized meltradi and miclone. The difference between being a loli and full meltradi adult just places more emphasis on this and helps the viewers (and readers) to adjust to the change a bit more easily. If she were normally micronised and acted in the manner that we saw, it just wouldn't work as well. I think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReddyRedWolf View Post
Well the Zentradi themselves did not understand their own tech.

Their tech is mass produced on massive automated factories.

Given the level of advancement I assume Terrans reversed engineered the technology like the SDF-1.

Originally Terran tech was based on Supervision Army tech.
Just as a complete and utter guess. But if the protoculture were using the Zentradi for proxy warfare, maybe it's possible that there were advancements in certain sectors of the galaxy that weren't as widespread as typical protoculture-zentradi technology, which could be why the weapon that Alto used was more effective than the zentradi weapon used by klan klan?

Again, I dunno, I'm just trying to get a ball rolling here

Also, the animation did take a dive in some parts, but it wasn't for long or frequent enough to disappoint me and I enjoyed the episode, a lot. Can't wait for the subs

Edit:
Spoiler:

Last edited by Tabris; 2008-04-25 at 07:20.
Closed Thread