AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Toradora!

Notices

Old 2008-10-15, 11:14   Link #1001
pparker

Quote:
Originally Posted by typhonsentra View Post
Reading Skyfall's explanation for why he enjoyed the episode is breaking my heart. Him and a lot of the manga fans are going to be ticked off by her behavior in a few of the upcoming episodes.
I'm confused. I thought Skyfall was not a manga reader, so how could both he and the manga readers be disappointed. We don't know yet what the anime is going to do in the remaining episodes, so it would seem non-readers could be disappointed, but we can't know the other way around yet. Am I missing something?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryougi Shiki View Post
For example, they missed the whole part where
Spoiler for tora:

Some of the stuff they skipped over made me say "The fuck is this shit?" out loud when it wasn't there.
This is precisely what I meant when I said I was glad some things were left out. I can understand a personal preference for poignancy over comedy, but again if this show goes too far in that direction, it begins competing with dramo eroge adaptations. It isn't ef (which I do like) and shouldn't be IMHO. My understanding is the story is a romantic comedy, not a dramedy. I just hope that's true because I do not read source before watching anime (too often disappointed, as with live movie adaptations). I also strenuously avoid spoilers, but if this is half a beautiful-sadness tear-fest, then kill me now. I'm in this primarily for the laughs, or at minimum the chuckles.
pparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-15, 11:14   Link #1002
Kagami~n
I want to @#$% with--

Send a message via AIM to Kagami~n
I just started this (after reading chapter 1 of the manga to decide if I'd like it or not), and I am enjoying it! I haven't read any of the light novels of course, lamenting my language limitations... so I don't have much in the way of an original to compare it to, except for ch. 1 of the manga. It seemed pretty accurate to that too.

I really like the character designs for the two mains. I'm not exactly floored by Kitamura, but Minori is cute.

I was surprised by the fast-paced development of episode 2. I was really expecting a slow, rocky road as is typical for these types of shows. It really makes me wonder what's in store for future episodes and how they'll hold our interest.
Kagami~n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-15, 11:22   Link #1003
typhonsentra

Quote:
Originally Posted by pparker View Post
I'm confused. I thought Skyfall was not a manga reader, so how could both he and the manga readers be disappointed. We don't know yet what the anime is going to do in the remaining episodes, so it would seem non-readers could be disappointed, but we can't know the other way around yet. Am I missing something?
The keyword was "And". The anime's roughly caught up to where the manga left off so both camps are in the same boat. There isn't a whole lot of Taiga/Ryuuji interaction in book 2 when compared to the first but even then.....

Spoiler:
typhonsentra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-15, 11:45   Link #1004
pparker

Quote:
The keyword was "And". The anime's roughly caught up to where the manga left off so both camps are in the same boat. There isn't a whole lot of Taiga/Ryuuji interaction in book 2 when compared to the first but even then.....

Spoiler:
Thanks. Now I understand. Interested to see how it plays out then, if the interaction between the leads is much less.
Old 2008-10-15, 11:48   Link #1005
Midonin
Last Engage

Spoiler for Toradora 03:
Midonin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-15, 12:20   Link #1006
b0nyb0y

Quote:
There isn't a whole lot of Taiga/Ryuuji interaction in book 2 when compared to the first but even then.....

Spoiler:
Darn, now you just give me more reason to hate them for rushing through the good part...

That aside though, I guess it's a good thing that I did stop watiching ZnT after the first season, and has yet to see Shana anime. So for the moment (at least) I haven't developed the hatred toward Tsundere quite yet. So, I guess I'm far more immune to it than other people around here.

But even then, hopefully I will be able to survive through all this...

Last edited by b0nyb0y; 2008-10-15 at 12:48.
b0nyb0y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-15, 13:18   Link #1007
Ryougi Shiki
私, オレ, lines of origin

Quote:
Originally Posted by pparker View Post

This is precisely what I meant when I said I was glad some things were left out. I can understand a personal preference for poignancy over comedy, but again if this show goes too far in that direction, it begins competing with dramo eroge adaptations. It isn't ef (which I do like) and shouldn't be IMHO. My understanding is the story is a romantic comedy, not a dramedy. I just hope that's true because I do not read source before watching anime (too often disappointed, as with live movie adaptations). I also strenuously avoid spoilers, but if this is half a beautiful-sadness tear-fest, then kill me now. I'm in this primarily for the laughs, or at minimum the chuckles.
I'm going to kill you then because the comedy is
Spoiler for toradora novels:
Old 2008-10-15, 14:02   Link #1008
musouka

Goddamn, Taiga was off-putting this ep! If this is the sort of thing us non manga/novel readers have been missing, then no fucking thank you.

Hey, Taiga, Ryuuji has been in love with Minori before you two even started your friendship, so suck it the hell up and stop being such a raving bitch. Poking someone's eyes just because he gets all (adorably) melty over his crush, being physically abusive... Guess what, you're his f-r-i-e-n-d. Not girlfriend. Yeah, people in love are annoying, but it's not like Ryuuji uppercuts you every time that mouth of yours starts stuttering over Kitamura.
musouka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-15, 14:13   Link #1009
Ryougi Shiki
私, オレ, lines of origin

Quote:
Originally Posted by musouka View Post
Goddamn, Taiga was off-putting this ep! If this is the sort of thing us non manga/novel readers have been missing, then no fucking thank you.

Hey, Taiga, Ryuuji has been in love with Minori before you two even started your friendship, so suck it the hell up and stop being such a raving bitch. Poking someone's eyes just because he gets all (adorably) melty over his crush, being physically abusive... Guess what, you're his f-r-i-e-n-d. Not girlfriend. Yeah, people in love are annoying, but it's not like Ryuuji uppercuts you every time that mouth of yours starts stuttering over Kitamura.
She's actually less bitchy in the manga/novels.

They made her MORE bitchy in the anime
Old 2008-10-15, 14:33   Link #1010
Darknemo2000

Send a message via AIM to Darknemo2000
musouka, I dont know what you have against novels, as you have never read it, but know that Taiga is less bitchy in novels/manga. She is more constant though.... In anime the eps two was almost all deredere and now we get a full load of Tsun...and it may make her look more tsun because of the previous episode.

Anime just doesn't spread her character more evenly.
Darknemo2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-15, 14:46   Link #1011
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

Please, everyone, stop talking openly about what's in the novels or the manga. If you want to discuss that, please, please go into spoilers. Telling me all this detail, vague as it may be, about what people are like or what is emphasized or not in the novels is actually quite spoilery, reduces the effects of the anime, and will make it impossible for me to read this thread.
Spoiler for ep2:
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-15, 14:50   Link #1012
pparker

Quote:
I'm going to kill you then because the comedy is
Spoiler for toradora novels:
I'll dl it then and maybe marathon it later if it's supposedly epic. My opinion is, and just my opinion people...
Spoiler for toradora novels response:
Old 2008-10-15, 14:55   Link #1013
musouka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darknemo2000 View Post
musouka, I dont know what you have against novels, as you have never read it, but know that Taiga is less bitchy in novels/manga.
I have absolutely nothing "against" the novels. I've been considering picking them up next time I make a run up to my local Japanese bookstore, as a matter of fact.

Look, I know what it's like when an adaption doesn't follow the original source material. I'll bitch long and hard to anyone that listens about what happened to the poor Maruma novels when they were adapted as Kyou Kara Maou. So, in that respect, maybe I shouldn't have mentioned the Toradora manga/novels, but every snip that someone has posted of the manga has been spectacularly unimpressive in almost every aspect.
musouka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-15, 15:00   Link #1014
Darknemo2000

pparker,
Spoiler for opinion:

musouka, you can always read novels online, in english, if you want and cannot decide weather to buy it or not.
Old 2008-10-15, 15:19   Link #1015
Kagami~n
I want to @#$% with--

Send a message via AIM to Kagami~n
I usually prefer, when I can, to watch the anime first, and then read the source material. If I've seen the anime first, I'll have gotten to like it first, and then I won't be nearly as judgemental when I finally read the source and take a look back at the anime, my fondness for the anime having already been established.

This hasn't always been possible, like when I've picked up a manga or a novel without knowing that there was an anime beforehand. But often times I find that reading the source first can ruin my view of the anime - I can't watch it without being biased and judgemental.

In short.... I'm glad that I haven't read the novels yet. >_>
Kagami~n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-15, 15:32   Link #1016
deffusse
otaku[SK]

anyone have seen the 3rd ep yet? I wonder if they've followed the novel plot, 'cause the preview from second ep. looked weird
deffusse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-15, 15:40   Link #1017
serenade_beta
そのおっぱいで13才

...Kore ha hidoi...
More than that... The art felt unstable in this episode... I know this is anime original, but I wish they placed more effort in it...

Spoiler for ep3:

Quote:
She's actually less bitchy in the manga/novels.

They made her MORE bitchy in the anime
I've never really thought of her much as anything other than that...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rg4619 View Post
Looks like a 2-cour series is planned.....

8 DVDs are set to be released, with the first four episodes contained in Vol 1. It'll be interesting to see how they handle this adaptation project.
Ehhhh?! How did this thing of all things get... No, nevermind. It's nothing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deffusse View Post
anyone have seen the 3rd ep yet? I wonder if they've followed the novel plot, 'cause the preview from second ep. looked weird
Anime original

-Blog --> http://tdnshumi.blogspot.com/ (Mainly about video games)
-R.I.P. Hiroshi Yamauchi, Gaming wouldn't have been the same without you (9/19/13)
serenade_beta is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-15, 15:44   Link #1018
pparker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darknemo2000 View Post
pparker,
Spoiler for opinion:
It's not an opinion that I am married to, and I haven't read those sources, so I stand... not immovable, though still leaning in my original direction. Thanks for the references.
Old 2008-10-15, 15:49   Link #1019
Darknemo2000

Kagami~n, but there is pros and cons with such watching way.

Yes less biased but lest say what if the anime is a really really bad and does not follow original source closely (like Zero No Tsukaima anime). You may decide that the original source is also bad even though it is not true

I know that some dropped ZnT without giving novels a try and that is sad considering that ZnT novels are much better than the anime.
Old 2008-10-15, 15:56   Link #1020
typhonsentra

Skimmed Ep. 3 and... I liked the interactions between Minori but yeah you could tell it was filler with how over the top and needlessly cruel Taiga was being.

JC Staff formula for success: "Let the audience know the heroine likes the guy by haing her attack him when he's done nothing wrong!"

Next episode preview seems to imply they're going to mess with the order of events in Ami's introduction too.
typhonsentra is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
comedy, romance, shounen