Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Light Novels

Notices

Old 2010-08-12, 15:57   Link #421
apr
Pedestrian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doraneko View Post
Today I have read "Minerva and the Tree of Wisdom (ミネルヴァと智慧の樹)" by Raku Asai. It is a really refreshing work that stands out from all the moe and stereotypical stuff that currently floods the market.
This does sound very interesting, but I always have trouble when the dialogue turns too abstract, so I'll have to wait a bit before I tackle something like this.

Personally I've just finished Ben-to v04, which was as magnificent as always. I can't praise this series enough. I just love it so much, every damned page, every character, every illustration. It's filled with all the stuff you'll find in modern light novels, but it's executed with a fresh angle in the hands of a master. There's comedy and battle and romance and friendship and ambition and drama, and it's all balanced exquisitely. Every new book I read in the series, I can't help but worry that "it can't work this time too, it'll feel old and tired by now," but I'm surprised again and again at how great it always is.

Sadly it doesn't seem very popular, and I'm torn between on the one hand wanting to share my joy at reading it with others, and on the other hand savouring the smug feeling of being able to enjoy a hidden gem.

Before Ben-to, I tried to get through Shio no Machi, but it was so bad, and had such hideously ugly illustrations, that after three weeks and only managing 100 pages, I finally decided to abandon it as a lost cause. Life is too short to waste on books you can't stand reading.
Old 2010-08-12, 23:19   Link #422
Doraneko
The Owl of Minerva

Quote:
Originally Posted by apr View Post
This does sound very interesting, but I always have trouble when the dialogue turns too abstract, so I'll have to wait a bit before I tackle something like this.
IMO the dialogue is not exactly abstract, just that the topics of discussion are more than often college level stuff, leaving the middle/high school students (which accounts for the majority of the light novel readership) scratching their heads. On the other hand, college students or above however will find it a fun ride. The slightly abstract part is only the SF-esque timeslip stuff, but for someone like you who have been constantly reading novels it should be a bliss.

Basically you can strip away the cover and the frontal colour pages and it will perfectly fit in the shelf of traditional literature (only one simple non-moe character illustration before each chapter). Somehow I have a soft spot for this kind of "border-line" light novels. The establishment of MW Bunko makes them even rarer than before: good for the public but bad for light novel buffs like me.

Regardless, it is by no means anything like Sora no Kyoukai, which makes stuff abstract for the sake of sounding abstract. Just going through a few pages of SnK can burn out a good number of your brain cells, while Minerva can arouse your interest in liberal arts subjects.

Quote:
Sadly it doesn't seem very popular, and I'm torn between on the one hand wanting to share my joy at reading it with others, and on the other hand savouring the smug feeling of being able to enjoy a hidden gem.
I heard that Ben-to will be getting an anime adaptation this winter. If that is true it will probably push the sales of the novels up.

Personally I love to share my love with other people. Good works deserve to be more widely recognized.

Quote:
Before Ben-to, I tried to get through Shio no Machi, but it was so bad...
(snip)
Life is too short to waste on books you can't stand reading.
Ditto for truth. I remember trying to struggle through Yakuza Moon, an award-winning autobiography about the shitty life of a Yakuza lady, after a friend has been talking non-stopped about it for one week. Still I find it extremely difficult to get into the story and dozed off whenever I started reading. Needless to say it is now in the landfill. Considering that Sakuraba writes similar stuff and I am a big fan of her, maybe I am still not yet ready for hardcore traditional literature .

For Shio no Machi, the Kadokawa Bunko version comes with no illustration (just like the Sakuraba works they have accquired). There is also extra content added. But well just like you I would rather clear my backlog than struggle on stuff that I can't enjoy.

Talking about hideous illustrations, you simply cannot beat the old school stuff in the 90s. An example is E.G. Combat, by Mizuhito Akiyama who is famous for his Iriya no Sora (perfect illustrations for that one though). Mind you the story is top-tier even by today's standard. But most will never know as they have already been scared away by the cover before they can pick it up.

Last edited by Doraneko; 2010-08-13 at 01:53.
Doraneko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-18, 10:33   Link #423
apr
Pedestrian

Package arrived with Nekomonogatari today, whoop.

Also included was Ben-to 5.5, with this sweet fold-in:

Let the reading commence!
Old 2010-09-12, 18:10   Link #424
Kunagisa

Bah! Dead thread is dead. Golden Time has been out (along with Spice and Wolf 15, which is not the final volume) for a couple of days.

Wants! Sold out pretty quickly apparently.

Story feels kinda =(.

Guy A goes to college, Girl A tackles Guy A and is in love Guy B who is best friend to Guy A.

Anyone bought/will buy this?
Kunagisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-13, 00:15   Link #425
AlaAlba

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuopidget View Post
Bah! Dead thread is dead. Golden Time has been out (along with Spice and Wolf 15, which is not the final volume) for a couple of days.

Story feels kinda =(.

Guy A goes to college, Girl A tackles Guy A and is in love Guy B who is best friend to Guy A.

lol. this thread is dead indeed.
golden time? sounds average.... but anyway, I am not into an usual love story, you know with no magic or something different. so you can ignore my opinion

I'll read spice wolf 15 today, after a vey very long wait. hope the climax wont be a cliffhanger
AlaAlba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-13, 11:11   Link #426
Iron Maw
Banned

Quote:
Bah! Dead thread is dead.
Not really surprising when most posters here don't have access to light novels, not mention the language barrier compounding the problem further. Meh.
Iron Maw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-13, 11:42   Link #427
Flower
Blooming on the mountain

Location: Deep in their roots, all flowers keep the light....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Maw View Post
Not really surprising when most posters here don't have access to light novels, not mention the language barrier compounding the problem further. Meh.
Yeah ... if not for Baka Tsuki (and a few individuals translators out there) there really is not much available in Enlgish.

I have read Toradora (complete 10 vols.), 11 of 19 vols. of Zero no Tsukaima and 16 of 34 vols. of Maria-sama ga Miteru - all over on Baka Tsuki.

Although I am grateful for the work they are doing over ther these are a drop in the bucket compared to the sheer volume that is available.

One of the ones I was especially interested in have been the Mayo Neko Overrun novels, but no luck in finding translation attempts thus far (outside the anime and manga I mean).
Old 2010-09-13, 11:57   Link #428
Micchi
兄さんが望むなら...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mycanid View Post
One of the ones I was especially interested in have been the Mayo Neko Overrun novels, but no luck in finding translation attempts thus far (outside the anime and manga I mean).
For those that liked Mayoi Neko Overrun!, I highly recommend Papa no Iu Koto o Kikinasai!, also by Tomohiro Matsu. It's about a university student suddenly becoming the guardian of three young girls after their parents (their mother is his older sister) are presumed dead in a plane crash. He learns that taking care of kids is a lot harder than he imagined. I've read 3 volumes so far and it's a really heartwarming story, ranking among the top of those that I have read so far.
Old 2010-09-13, 12:14   Link #429
Flower
Blooming on the mountain

Location: Deep in their roots, all flowers keep the light....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Micchi View Post
For those that liked Mayoi Neko Overrun!, I highly recommend Papa no Iu Koto o Kikinasai!, also by Tomohiro Matsu. It's about a university student suddenly becoming the guardian of three young girls after their parents (their mother is his older sister) are presumed dead in a plane crash. He learns that taking care of kids is a lot harder than he imagined. I've read 3 volumes so far and it's a really heartwarming story, ranking among the top of those that I have read so far.
Hmm ... never heard of it.

Thanks for the recommendation - I will keep an eye out for any English translations thereof.
Old 2010-09-13, 12:54   Link #430
AlaAlba

Quote:
sorry, lol, for a bit I thought it's an incest story. good god it isn't yes? the title sure is misleading.
3 young girls as you mean an elementary school girls? I might as well search for it.
Old 2010-09-13, 19:50   Link #431
Micchi
兄さんが望むなら...

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaAlba View Post
sorry, lol, for a bit I thought it's an incest story. good god it isn't yes? the title sure is misleading.
3 young girls as you mean an elementary school girls? I might as well search for it.
Of course it is! Why would I read any other thing?

Well, joking aside (half truth since all light novels I read have an 'imouto' char...), the girls are Sora (14), Miu (10) and Hina (3). Sora calls him oniichan (since they're closer in age, and also due to a past event), Miu calls him ojisan (uncle) and Hina calls him oitan. There's a lot of character and relationship development. Well, I guess you could say Sora is the main girl, but I believe it's more like familial love or puppy love than anything else. He's interested in his senpai though in university, Raika... who ends up being more like a mother figure. Kinda.

Spoiler for v3 Cover (Those are pads):
Old 2010-09-13, 21:12   Link #432
apr
Pedestrian

Quote:

Story feels kinda =(.

My copy was shipped Sep 10th, but it will take two weeks to get here. Got Ben-to v6 at the same time, yay.

In the meantime, I've been "reading" Nekomonogatari, but I'm so disappointed in it that I keep playing Dragon Quest games instead. I've managed to squeeze in DQ 4, 5 and almost done with 6 in the few weeks I'm supposed to have been enjoying Nekomonogatari.
Old 2010-09-20, 04:22   Link #433
AlaAlba

@micchi; speaking about imouto related novel, I read baby princess just lately,it's about a guy who like any other main guy, is a lucky bastard who in one way have to stay with a girl. the problem is the girl have 18 others sisters. their ages each is from 0 to 18. lol. damn their parents...
it's like he have a new 14 imoutos

and only finished SAO 5 yesterday. Kirito is a Jedi!! XD

Last edited by AlaAlba; 2010-09-20 at 06:00.
Old 2010-09-20, 14:22   Link #434
Micchi
兄さんが望むなら...

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaAlba View Post
@micchi; speaking about imouto related novel, I read baby princess just lately,it's about a guy who like any other main guy, is a lucky bastard who in one way have to stay with a girl. the problem is the girl have 18 others sisters. their ages each is from 0 to 18. lol. damn their parents...
it's like he have a new 14 imoutos
Took a quick look at it just now and it has Sister Princess vibes all over it
Too many chars usually means the story suffers though. What did you think of it?
Old 2010-09-21, 00:29   Link #435
AlaAlba

Quote:
Took a quick look at it just now and it has Sister Princess vibes all over it
Too many chars usually means the story suffers though. What did you think of it?
of course it is, because the author is the same the main guy is not blood related with the girls though.

It's quite nice, there are a hell lot of girls I have to go back to first page illustration almost everytime when the story shifted from one sister to another to know their looks (I always forget which are which). but the time I finished it I remembered almost all of them, though not all of them, thanks to their unique characters(or maybe thanks to the cute arts).
Old 2010-09-21, 09:53   Link #436
apr
Pedestrian

Earlier than anticipated!
Old 2010-10-11, 02:11   Link #437
Kunagisa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doraneko View Post
It sounds like Kadokawa is really in an award giveaway spree then . After all Fujimi is now directly under Kadokawa. But it is a bit sad that Kadokawa doesn't even bother to make any promotion for "Kamisama no Inai Nichiyoubi," contrast with the press conferences, dedicated websites and exclusive book shop counters for the other two award-winning works.

Coincidentally the descriptions of "Sugar Dark" and "Kamisama no Inai Nichiyoubi" are very similar with each other . They almost seem like the same story written from different perspectives (the heroine or the hero). Try to guess which is which.

Spoiler:

Spoiler:
Replying to an old old post I guess since the manga just went on sale. Did Doraneko actually end up reading this one =P? Looks fairly interesting. I guess it finally got the attention it deserved now that it has a manga running too like Sugar Dark =).
Kunagisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-12, 10:29   Link #438
apr
Pedestrian

Done with Nekomonogatari: Kuro. Yep, read it all. 305 pages, baby! In only two months! Even shorter, to be fair, more like, let's count, uh, 55 days! I am the master of novel reading.

I've never come across such a split story. Truly a book of two halves. And I really hated the first, which made it take so long. Chapters 1-5 (that's pages 1-160) work as a straight sequel to Nisemonogatari vol 2, where it seems like Nishio felt bad for short-changing Tsukihi, so decided he'd flesh out her character here instead. Which means it's chronologically fubar. And he knows it, so he's stuffed it full of irritating 4th wall breakage as well, with tons of references to the anime and other metajokes I personally loathe. I could go on a huge rant about how wrong this is, and how it doesn't fit in with the feel of the original Bakemonogatari series, but at the same time I feel like I have to concede that it's his series, and that he can do whatever he wants with it. But I still don't like the impression that he's mocking us. Well, me, personally, because I'm stupid enough to take offense.

He finishes the first half off with a "thanks for your patience" and turns it over 100%. Suddenly we're in chapter 6-13 (pages 160-305), which is almost a straight sequel to Kizumonogatari, i.e. the book I wanted in the first place! The one I dreamt of! Why the hell did he have to fuck me over with 160 pages of bullshit? Ugh. Anyway, that half was nice. Tied up with the beginning of Bakemonogatari perfectly as well, damn it.

I can't believe he keeps toying with my heart. Now I'll have to buy Shiro and be raped by his maliciousness again. And again. Evil genius indeed.
Old 2010-10-12, 11:03   Link #439
karice67
さっく♥ゆうきゃん♥ほそやん

Quote:
Originally Posted by apr View Post
Done with Nekomonogatari: Kuro.
I can't believe he keeps toying with my heart. Now I'll have to buy Shiro and be raped by his maliciousness again. And again. Evil genius indeed.
Ouch...that's quite venomous.

His references (and puns) drive me up up the wall too, so I'm afraid of finally getting to the Bake series after everything else I've to read...

hm...but Shiro hasn't even been listed on amazon Japan yet, has it?

How Suetsugu Yuki drew the cover for Chihayafuru volume 34

Interview translations etc

You must free yourself from that illusion,
from the illusion that a story must have a beginning and an end.

"No, you are not entitled to your opinion... You are only entitled to what you can argue for.”
- Patrick Stokes

karice67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-12, 11:31   Link #440
apr
Pedestrian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karice67 View Post
Ouch...that's quite venomous.

His references (and puns) drive me up up the wall too, so I'm afraid of finally getting to the Bake series after everything else I've to read...

hm...but Shiro hasn't even been listed on amazon Japan yet, has it?
Kodansha has a banner saying Oct 29.

Tags
light novels