AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2007-10-21, 00:02   Link #321
Grimkill7
Inattentive Dreamer

Ok let me see if I can get this straight.
Renji likes Chihiro and vice-versa. They both know Yu. Renji met with Yuko. Chihiro and Kei are twin sisters. Kei Likes Hiro. Hiro is friends with Kyosuke. Kyosuke likes (or is obsessed with seems to be better) Kei. Miyako likes Hiro (and he may seem to like her too). Yuko seems to be associated with Yu (I'm just guessing that he was the one she was waiting for). She also has some connection to Hiro through his dreams. Is that all the connections revealed so far or am I forgetting any?
Grimkill7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-21, 01:17   Link #322
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimkill7 View Post
Renji likes Chihiro and vice-versa. They both know Yu. Renji met with Yuko. Chihiro and Kei are twin sisters. Kei Likes Hiro. Hiro is friends with Kyosuke. Kyosuke likes (or is obsessed with seems to be better) Kei. Miyako likes Hiro (and he may seem to like her too). Yuko seems to be associated with Yu (I'm just guessing that he was the one she was waiting for). She also has some connection to Hiro through his dreams. Is that all the connections revealed so far or am I forgetting any?
I'm pretty sure you've got them all. Somehow it all makes sense in the anime, but when you actually sit down and try to map it out, it makes for a very complicated web of stories. That's part of what I like about it, though.
relentlessflame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-21, 04:20   Link #323
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Deathkillz
ep 3
Spoiler:

Siggy: hohohohoho~ | AnimeHistory welcome to our blog ~ | Summer2009 early review
Under the radar series Summer2009: Kanamemo, GA Geijutsuka Art, NEEDLESS
Deathkillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-21, 08:27   Link #324
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

This show has risen to the top for me, just below Blue Drop. I still find the relationships confusing, especially without subtitles, but they are fascinating, and the people are becoming real. The beauty of so many of the scenes and so much of the music is just breathtaking.
Spoiler for ep3:
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-22, 07:51   Link #325
Sorrow-K
Somehow I found out

First chance I've gotten to post a proper comment on this anime.

First things first, I can't believe this show has gotten such a negative backlash, since, IMO, it's hardly put a foot wrong in its first two episodes. The characters interactions are extremely well done, the dialogue is pretty good, the relationships are set in stone to a large extent, and actually make sense, and the atmosphere is suitably surreal. The animation isn't great, but I don't understand how people can berate the visual directing. This, IMO, is how one pushes boundaries in what is otherwise a fairly stagnant genre. It might be a superficial uniqueness, but it's a uniqueness nonetheless that will, once it's over, separate this anime from others in the genre. The best things in this anime, so far, aren't aesthetic, but the aesthetics do a wonderful job of setting up a surreal atmosphere and keeping the audience on its toes. Too often directors aren't willing to push the boundaries of animation, so I'll almost always applaud the few cases that do.

Ep 2

As one could probably guess, I think this has "winner" stamped all over it. Never mind the visuals. I may be biased towards a unique visual effort, but I won't back away from defending it. But, it's plot and characters that make this anime, and they're all interesting and fairly human at this stage, and that's step one towards making good romance anime. Step two is genuine character interactions, and this has that as well. I think this show has serious potential, and I continue to watch with baited breath.
Sorrow-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-22, 12:28   Link #326
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorrow-K View Post
First things first, I can't believe this show has gotten such a negative backlash, since, IMO, it's hardly put a foot wrong in its first two episodes.
Well, I don't think there's a huge negative backlash. Like any artistic experiment, some appreciate it, and some don't. Certainly I think some might come to appreciate it a bit more once they get used to it (if they continue giving the show a chance).

I've noticed especially that fans of the game seem to be the least initially-appreciative of Shaft's distinctive visual flair, and the reason I most commonly see is that the game itself had an already-distinctive atmosphere that got lost in the transition. (Pleasing game fans in a short anime adaptation is always difficult, though, especially if they decide to do "something different".) The other comment I've seen a fair bit, both here and elsewhere, is wondering whether the character interactions are really enhanced by the artistic direction or not; wouldn't they be even more potent with more traditional shot directing? Sort of like "the characters are great, but I'm so distracting by the weird shots, angles and cuts". I know that, for me personally, it's been a show that works even better on the second viewing. Those most open and even vocally supportive of the show seem to be fans of experimental filmmaking coming at this with little-to-no prior exposure to the property. And since I myself fall in that category, I find myself agreeing with you (unusual! ), and liking this show a lot.

I certainly think that, in a crowded genre, this show stands out in more ways than one. That in and of itself is probably a good reason for people to check it out, even if it does turn out to be a "love it or hate it" sort of show.
Old 2007-10-22, 17:28   Link #327
holyman282
Snape: "I hate Potter!"

I agree with both Sorrow-k and Relentless, love it or hate, it's certainly unique and you have to at least give it that...

I give extra points to Shaft for taking chances..
Old 2007-10-22, 17:31   Link #328
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by holyman282 View Post
I give extra points to Shaft for taking chances..
You should have said that around 2/3 years ago.
Old 2007-10-23, 02:37   Link #329
siden87
aka seraph

Send a message via MSN to siden87 Send a message via Yahoo to siden87
I've just finish watching episode 3. I'm watching Nuke fansub, and they come out with a slightly different lyric of the OP.

Spoiler for episode 3 thought::

btw anyone has any information about the maga? I've search and search but barely got any info about the manga, except that it's currently has reach volume 4 in japan and has no information whether it's been scanlated or not.
siden87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-23, 03:20   Link #330
Albin

Send a message via MSN to Albin
the first episode was kind of confusing and left many of my questions unanswered. When i watched the second ep the pieces fell into place and actually gave me hopes for this anime!
(I actually said I wouldnt watch it cus I didnt like the first ep but I just had to download the second one and guess if Im lucky i did that XD)
Albin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-23, 06:36   Link #331
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Spoiler for Ep3:
Old 2007-10-23, 07:03   Link #332
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

Wasn't too sure to comment about it without the subs, tyhings don't change much after that.
Spoiler for episode 3:

I may sound ranting like hell, but this episode was still enjoyable, though I'm certainly hoping for a better "evolution" for the visual treatment (not quality) and thus, the execution. As far as I said for the 3 episodes, many things could be much more powerful and empathic if they focalised on the right things.
Old 2007-10-23, 08:26   Link #333
theused69
Viral marketing!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klashikari View Post
I may sound ranting like hell, but this episode was still enjoyable, though I'm certainly hoping for a better "evolution" for the visual treatment (not quality) and thus, the execution. As far as I said for the 3 episodes, many things could be much more powerful and empathic if they focalised on the right things.
Yeah me too. I think the poor frame rates and frequent wierd camera angles make ef- a visual eyesore (really, my eyes hurt that time). But storywise, it's pretty good and coherent, although I still can't believe 12 episodes is enough for this. Anyway, I still would watch this show even though I almost fell asleep at the OP
theused69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-23, 08:45   Link #334
deffusse
otaku[SK]

for me, watching ef - a tale.... is one of the greatest experience. It's realy hard to say, what is the the main feature I like the most. I can't even understand, what are you guys talking about [borring etc...] Beautiful visual, emotional work + grand plot. It's hardly possible that this serie surprise me badly in the future and btw the OP is great.....
deffusse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-23, 09:42   Link #335
Ascaloth
I don't give a damn, dude

Watched the Nuke sub of Episode 3, and I have this say, this episode was a lot better than the first two.

The Shinbo-WTF visuals are still there, but it's been toned down a bit, and this time I actually felt that they complemented the plot well; the best examples would be Chihiro's "joke" scene, and the colour overlay on Kei when she was interrogating Hirono about Miyako was simply genius. Overall, the pacing is a lot less erratic and epilepsy-inducing, as are the visuals, and the story still goes fairly strong as always. In other words, ef has just become a lot more watchable to me, enough that I'm convinced to give it a few more episodes at the very least.

I want to see how each story is linked to each other soon, though. Right now it still feels a little disjointed, particularly how Kei and Chihiro seem almost unconnected despite being sisters.

And on a last note, Renji's mom. >_<
minori outdid KEY on the "loli mom" factor this time.
Ascaloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-23, 12:23   Link #336
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by deffusse View Post
I can't even understand, what are you guys talking about [borring etc...] Beautiful visual, emotional work + grand plot. It's hardly possible that this serie surprise me badly in the future and btw the OP is great.....
Once the series is over, it'd be very interesting to poll those who watched the series. It's pretty unusual to see something so polarizing. As I said earlier, the visuals definitely seem to be "love it or hate it". Interesting...
Old 2007-10-23, 12:35   Link #337
deffusse
otaku[SK]

Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame View Post
.......the visuals definitely seem to be "love it or hate it". Interesting...
absolute agreement....
Old 2007-10-23, 12:46   Link #338
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Deathkillz
for me the animation has never been much of a bother...hence im rather neutral - but yea it has been toned down quite a bit, i liked the spice they added when miyako was "playing" with hiro, they look soo soft
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascaloth View Post
And on a last note, Renji's mom. >_<
minori outdid KEY on the "loli mom" factor this time.
funny thing...she reminded me of Ama when i first saw her

Siggy: hohohohoho~ | AnimeHistory welcome to our blog ~ | Summer2009 early review
Under the radar series Summer2009: Kanamemo, GA Geijutsuka Art, NEEDLESS
Deathkillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-23, 13:24   Link #339
guuchan
Mou Nakanai~
*Fansubber

For those who're interested in the official lyrics of the opening song "euphoric field":

Fly high, make it
Get to the new world that I seek
Someday, with my little wings

Don't look back to the sorrow I left behind
Here's my real intention I hide
I wish you were here, and so just by my side
Need to be strong enough to swallow my pride

I have been looking for my own style
Don't give it up, here comes the life

Be alive, take it
Promise to find, yes I will
Shining wings filled with wishes
Fly high, make it
Get to the new world that I seek
Someday, so I believe

Last edited by guuchan; 2007-10-25 at 07:50.
guuchan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-23, 13:31   Link #340
deffusse
otaku[SK]

Oy guuchan I'm realy interested in that song..... Do you have a full version of it? I havent found it yet and thx for lyrics also

Tags
bishoujo, drama, romance, seinen, shaft