AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Web Novels

Notices

Old 2015-04-21, 10:50   Link #1
makarich

Isekai ryori-do (異世界料理道) Road of cuisine in different World[WN]

Isekai ryori-do [WN/LN]
road of cuisine in different World (or cooking with wild game)
Author: EDA
http://ncode.syosetu.com/n3125cg/

Ehem. Hello, minna-san. Today I want to tell you about novel, which catched my attention, or rather, I got totally addicted to it. Has 2 published books:
http://www.amazon.co.jp/%E7%95%B0%E4.../dp/479860965X
http://www.amazon.co.jp/dp/479861007...91GBR6FZ70J0PA

I really like cooking manga, so I wanted to read a novel about cooking in fantasy world. But in every single one of the "he/she got into another world" novels, protagonists just suddenly and abruptly starts cooking Earth cuisine, and this is where I have WTF feeling. What, so easily? It is either "Oh I found analog of of the Earth food ingridients, yay" (fine example: World teacher), or "Hey, food ingridients here is totally the same" (I'm especially mad when they are finding japanese native edible plants in Europe-based fantasy; more than half of those are endemic and doesn't even have names in other languages, dammit!), and start cooking, just like that. What I'm trying to say, is that authors doesn't think too deep about cooking aspect, or rather, doesn't think about it at all. Well, this is a fantasy, so they can write anything they want, but still. This is too shallow. Anyway, this is just me grumbling.

The plot: protagonist, named Asuta, working as cook apprentice at his fathers small eatery. One day his father got into hospital, after that eatery catches a fire, and when Asuta trying to carry out of the burning building his father's cooking knife, ceiling collapse. Then he finds himself in different world, on the mountain Morihen. There he gradually become acquainted with tribe of hunters that lives there. They are living off animal called Giba, which resembles wild boar, whose meat is NOT tasty and have strong smell (since Asuta is a cook, you already know at which direction this is moving), basically, they are just dont know the taste of delicious cooking. Vegetables are luxury, since they cant have their own fields; as to why such situation exists, its all explained very logically, no made-up or "just because" reasons. This is where novel remind me of Maoyuu Maou Yuusha.

This is non-standart different World novel. There are fights, but Asuta doesn't participate; he is weak like a child there. Harem? I guess it does have harem, if I can call it that. Just a few girls, intrigued by a guy, who can make tasty food. Where else you can find (SPOILER) a girl supposedly from his harem getting marriage proposal from another guy, more than that, its a very touching moment?! All action take place in 2 locations, mountain Morihen and neighboring town, no world travels; also forget about dundgeons and level grinding. All Asuta can do is to cook. Oh yes, this world doesnt have our world's ingridients, so he need to experiment.

Well, cooking is an important part of the story, but not the main. The main point is... human relationships, I guess. Here is the charming part of novel. People here are alive, not living dolls, nor an extra, nor a background for protagonist, nor exist just because. There are many of them, and every single one is interesting. Author is not trying to outline their characters separately; their personality show itself in the way they talk, the way they move around. Sometimes I have a feeling that Im reading a very good Shonen manga with well-wtitten personages. And I understood it even through GT, do you understand now, how good this novel is?
What this novel does have: cooking (obviously), a little bit of politics, a tiny bit of economy, small portion of crime and conflicts, a lot of talk and a lot of simple everiday life.
And trust me, this is very interesting.

If I need to describe this novel in 2 words, then warm and humane. Has a lot of touching and fluffy moments.
Anyway, somebody, please translate this. GT is killing me.
And i'm sorry for my bad english. If you find any mistakes, please correct me.
makarich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-04-21, 11:03   Link #2
watisit

Ever tried 異世界食堂 http://ncode.syosetu.com/n1701bm/ ? That's my favorite food piece.

I personally find the food part to be really downplayed since the MC sticks to only one main ingredient.
watisit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-04-21, 11:21   Link #3
Tiberium Wolf

Sorry but this seems kinda the original story sucked and the author have seen the other world thing being popular right now and added it to his story.
Old 2015-04-21, 11:45   Link #4
laclongquan

Doesnt matter. What only matter is that whether he write well or not. Originality just for originality's own sake NOT a good story make.

This series sounds intriguing. But just cooking alone is not a good enough baited hook to lure translators in. We need something more.
laclongquan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-04-21, 15:01   Link #5
makarich

Quote:
Originally Posted by watisit View Post
Ever tried 異世界食堂 http://ncode.syosetu.com/n1701bm/ ? That's my favorite food piece.

I personally find the food part to be really downplayed since the MC sticks to only one main ingredient.
About 異世界食堂 , actually I got stuck at the description part. Through GT it was very confusing. Please tell me about plot.

And he actually started to try different kinds of meat in the latest parts.
Old 2015-04-21, 15:18   Link #6
sayf82

is it some kind of Toriko
sayf82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-04-21, 15:32   Link #7
Lord C

Since this question seems like a trend...
How OP is the MC?
Lol!
Old 2015-04-21, 17:38   Link #8
travelingbum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord C View Post
Since this question seems like a trend...
How OP is the MC?
Lol!
Quote:
There are fights, but Asuta doesn't participate; he is weak like a child there. Harem? I guess it does have harem, if I can call it that. Just a few girls, intrigued by a guy, who can make tasty food.
Quote:
All Asuta can do is to cook.
should answer both questions lol
travelingbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-04-21, 19:51   Link #9
wuhugm
Confused Shark

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelingbum View Post
should answer both questions lol
heh, don't underestimate him, he is reigning upon the evil vegetables and tainted meat

but, to make a whole novel about the most boring part of isekai adventure is certainly... interesting. Whenever I encountered the cooking part in isekai novel I just cringed... and reluctantly read it, now you tell me the entire novel is about cooking? nonono....
wuhugm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-04-21, 21:58   Link #10
watisit

Quote:
Originally Posted by makarich View Post
About 異世界食堂 , actually I got stuck at the description part. Through GT it was very confusing. Please tell me about plot.

And he actually started to try different kinds of meat in the latest parts.
It is essentially a series of short stories about a western food restaurant in our world that spawns doors in another world every Saturday. Each chapter is a short story about a dish and a customer who enjoys it.

The chapters can stand alone by themselves, there's no particular need to read them in order. Though there are some chapters that are titled like "XXX again" in which case you should read the "XXX" chapter first.

What meats did he try? I only read up to the 10 day store part.
watisit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-04-22, 02:51   Link #11
makarich

What meats did he try? I only read up to the 10 day store part.[/QUOTE]

Karon and Kimyusu meats.
*Sigh* I'm just tired. Tired of the tedious, dull and monotonous recitation of skills, monsters, dungeon floors conquests, and so on (Arifureta - why do you like it, people, whyyyyyy). Novels with game mechanics was new and refreshing at some point, but not anymore. And after Mushoku Tensei almost all of reincarnation novels seems mediocre and boring. So this one is like a breeze of fresh air to me. This novel very close to reality, even magic exists in form of divination here.
Forget about word 'cooking' for a moment, this thing have a GOOD PLOT and intersting characters. Cooking is one of the things that moves plot here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sayf82 View Post
is it some kind of Toriko
No, its not. Not even close.

Last edited by LKK; 2015-04-22 at 09:04. Reason: posts merged. don't post multiple times in a row. edit instead.
Old 2015-04-22, 21:09   Link #12
S3wvc

Hoo so its like dungeon meshi , though this is a promising one
S3wvc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-04-22, 21:13   Link #13
laclongquan

They like Arifureta because OP chars got chance to flaunt it. and harem members got chance to flaunt it~ That's it.
laclongquan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-05-24, 16:56   Link #14
Poligrafowicz

I'm thinking of starting reading this series, but does the romance ever actually go anywhere?
Poligrafowicz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-05-25, 12:19   Link #15
jaydreadzz
Love Miku x Rin <3

How many harem members does he have now?

i just thought this might be a Harem novel cos i see different girls in cover pic
Old 2015-05-29, 11:33   Link #16
makarich

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaydreadzz View Post
How many harem members does he have now?

i just thought this might be a Harem novel cos i see different girls in cover pic
Err, like I said, I can hardly call it harem novel - the main interactions happens with one girl - the one that was on the volume 1 cover (well, not like he isn't interact with other girls). And girls in cover pic - its all for the sake of advertising.
Old 2015-05-29, 11:48   Link #17
Poligrafowicz

Quote:
Originally Posted by makarich View Post
Err, like I said, I can hardly call it harem novel - the main interactions happens with one girl - the one that was on the volume 1 cover (well, not like he isn't interact with other girls). And girls in cover pic - its all for the sake of advertising.
But there is some development with that one girl?
Poligrafowicz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-05-29, 12:06   Link #18
makarich

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poligrafowicz View Post
But there is some development with that one girl?
There is a lot of fluffy moments with her.
Old 2015-06-15, 07:01   Link #19
amatsunagi
Shi(n)mai

Spoiler for 6/24:

cover is good as always! haven't read this though
amatsunagi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-06-15, 09:42   Link #20
S3wvc

Need to find some one willing to tranlate this
Someone like Natsutl group
S3wvc is offline   Reply With Quote