AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Tech Support

Notices

Old 2010-06-14, 20:24   Link #1
Animeruko
BECAUSE its moe moe!

Hardware Help...

I need some help with my hard drives ... For some reason booting one of my PC's without a video card made all my HDD's over 40GB stop working...

when they are connected to any one of my pc's (3 towers 1 laptop) the PC will "stop" right after it detects HDD's and just sit there its not a "hang" or "lockup" because you can still ctrl alt del it to restart.

Ive tried everything i can think of but since this issue seems to be with the HDD's as it happens in any pc i put one of the affected HDD's into im really at a loss ... I don't even understand why booting with out a video card would do anything to the HDDs anyways.

A 40GB and a 36GB Raptor still work fine but I "killed" all my other HDD's that are over 100GB testing this to make sure it was actually because i removed the video card from the system.

Anyways i could really use some help/advice/tips I really don't want to have to buy all new HDD's for all of my computers and i think i may have to toss the system that caused this since even if i get new HDD's and the vid card dies those new HDD's are toast and that system is my file server.

I really hope there is a simple fix and i just missed it because of noobness...

Info.:

System that caused it is . MSI 939 Nforce 4 board, Athlon 64 3200+, Radeon x700, 1.2gb ram.

HDD's are 36GB Raptor, 40GB IDE, 120GB IDE, 100GB SATAII, 250GB SATAII(2x), 1TB SATAII.

Raptor and 40GB still work.
Animeruko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-14, 21:46   Link #2
iceyfw

so the gist i got out of all that is your hdds somehow causes an issue when you booted your pc without a video card. i have never heard a case like that before either. so when you say your pc freezes up after detecting, is this when the computer is doing a POST (the screen you see after turning on a computer) or is it within the OS?

you can try checking into the bios to see if it recognizes the hdds.

Last edited by iceyfw; 2010-06-14 at 22:02.
iceyfw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-14, 22:03   Link #3
Animeruko
BECAUSE its moe moe!

I've never experienced this or heard of it be for myself its why im stumped.

It happens during POST, you know right after the HDD detection it just stops and nothing happens. IF i disconnect the HDD/s and resart PC it will complete post and then i can get into BIOS and then i can reconnect the HDD's and run run the detect that way .. and ti does complete .. the BIOS does see the drives its just that when they are connected for some reason the system fails to complete the post process.

but to be clear ALL my hdd's worked be for hand but i wanted to try to boot this system without a video card and when i removed the video card and tried to boot it it failed post and now whenever i use any of those HDD's that are 100GB or larger they will cause any system they go in to fail post at the exact same area (right after HDD detection completes, normally you would then be able to enter bios or it would proceed to load OS).

And this is repeatable if i take another HDD 100GB or larger and put it in .. remove video card from the system start it up then turn it off and put the video card back into the system that HDD will now cause the same problem. i repeated this several times to make sure this is exactly what happend.
Old 2010-06-16, 12:56   Link #4
Animeruko
BECAUSE its moe moe!

I solved this by booting the system without the extra HDD's then reconnecting and formating them in windows after the system booted .... now they work like normal .. what a strange incident O_o.