AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2014-09-08, 15:11   Link #1
ellifeedn
Thinker

Significant Anime

The National Film Registry is a selection of films of all kinds (feature length films, short subjects, home movies, etc.) that are preserved. They probably won't make a registry for Anime because Anime isn't made in America and I find that a shame since there are definitely titles worth preserving. With that in mind, I'm curious to see which Anime series and movies people think are significant enough to be preserved and why they think so. You can even choose Anime that aren't dubbed or imported.

I'll start this off with a few titles that I believe everyone recognizes and why they are significant:

Spirited Away is a movie by the well established Studio Ghibli that showcases the animation the studio is well known for,
Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind is significant on how it showed the potential of its creators and its success is what allowed Studio Ghibli to be formed,
Dragon Ball/Dragon Ball Z is one of the first Anime series shown in the United States on Toonami that became massively popular and helped push for wide appeal of Anime in the public, and
Cowboy Bebop is a series that showed how different Anime can be from its daytime counterparts and that Anime can have appeal for an older audience.

Last edited by ellifeedn; 2014-09-08 at 18:51. Reason: Adding explanations
ellifeedn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-09-08, 17:59   Link #2
NightWish
…Nothing More
*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellifeedn View Post
[...] I believe [these examples] need little explanation [as to] why they are significant [...]
I disagree. If this thread is going to live up to its potential, as something more interesting than yet-another-trivial-list-thread, you need to expand on why, giving examples of quality, originality, cultural impact, or whatever other metric by which you garner them with the accolade "significant".
NightWish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-09-08, 18:46   Link #3
ellifeedn
Thinker

I apologize. I did not realize what I had wrote there and am working to fix the issue.
Old 2014-09-09, 00:37   Link #4
Shyni

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellifeedn View Post
The National Film Registry is a selection of films of all kinds (feature length films, short subjects, home movies, etc.) that are preserved. They probably won't make a registry for Anime because Anime isn't made in America and I find that a shame since there are definitely titles worth preserving.
Is there no Japanese equivalent?
Shyni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-09-09, 00:58   Link #5
ellifeedn
Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shyni View Post
Is there no Japanese equivalent?
According to these articles there were plans for something similar, but the project was canceled. I'm sure there is more to it, but it's late where I am and I'm going to sleep soon.
Old 2014-09-09, 17:21   Link #6
Akito Kinomoto
Sekiroad-Idols Sing Twice

Send a message via AIM to Akito Kinomoto
Evanjelly is def. one. I know not it if the spineless male lead originated from that show, but I'd be surprised if it didn't have some influence carrying it over to contemporary stuff along with the tsundere and emotionless girl.

Azumanga Daioh might have been one of the first, but my gut tells me it's K-On! that pushed a whole genre of girls who much ado about nothing.

But I'm mainly talking in terms of how much a title has effected the current industry. Cowboy Bebop is critically praised to be sure, but I'm not sure how many Spike rip-offs inspirations I've seen or even heard about.

Wasn't Fist of the North Star (one of?) the first times an action-shonen went superpowered instead just being normal martial arts? Idk, someone do tell.
GANBARIMASU
Akito Kinomoto is offline   Reply With Quote