AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2017-12-27, 08:18   Link #1
Fireminer
Lumine Passio
*Author

Why orb-like irises work with animation and not real-life?

Okay, we all know how freaky it is for people to have orb-like irises (like in the Battle Angel Alita trailer.) But how do artists make them work with animation? Is there something 2D has and not 3D?
Fireminer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-12-27, 20:16   Link #2
relentlessflame

*Administrator

You're describing the uncanny valley. Basically the closer something is to looking real, the more the imperfections stick out and bother us. As long as something is clearly artistic/stylized/not real, we don't apply the same filter. You can still do the orb-like irises in 3D animation as well, so long as the overall look is stylized and not realistic.

Them using this style in Battle Angel Alita was clearly on purpose to exploit the uncanny valley for storytelling purposes. It was a bit of a risky move to do that, as we can see from the reaction, but I guess we'll see if they manage to pull it off.
Old 2018-01-09, 05:42   Link #3
Fvlminatvs

I get what they're going for but I just really don't think it is going to work. I also don't think Cameron really understands the source material--although he seems to have a better grasp on it than the suits that made the live-action Ghost in the Shell.