AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > Sports & Entertainment

Notices

Old 2013-10-16, 13:21   Link #7341
Samari
World's Greatest

Did anyone watch FRONTLINE - League of Denial: The NFL's Concussion Crisis on PBS? Or read the book? Pretty interesting take on concussions in the NFL and how the league may have tried to downplay a potential link between brain trauma and football in the early 1990's, to now catering to more safety, utilizing PR once **** hits the fan, and changing their tune to "we don't know if there is a link, we're looking into it". Some of the accounts of certain action taken by the league, including trying to taint a couple professional doctor's reputation is quite alarming. Also some player deaths are profiled. Really sad what happened to Mike Webster. It's strange that the NFLPA wasn't talked about though. I think that is something that should have been more researched by the authors of the book and at least even mentioned in the film.

If you haven't seen it, you can view it here. The film is actually a few minutes shorter than what the listed time is because of a pause in the middle you have to fast forward through.

"Every light must fade, every heart return to darkness!"
永遠不要失去信心,你的命運。
Samari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-17, 11:23   Link #7342
Yye1
Wide Right

^ it was fascinating and I love the fact that the NFL is now overcompensating by tabbing every QB hit as roughing the passer

"Me and my girlfreinds are goin to go see Sex and the City." We're like: "Great! Now i dont have to take you to see that shit!"
-The Great Philosopher Chris Rock
Yye1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-17, 12:07   Link #7343
ReaperxKingx
Emperor of the Expected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yye1 View Post
^ it was fascinating and I love the fact that the NFL is now overcompensating by tabbing every QB hit as roughing the passer
Its going to be sooner or later when it comes back to them. Fans and players themselves are already critical of the NFL, its going to be a matter of time before it blows.
ReaperxKingx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-18, 10:48   Link #7344
Last Sinner
You're Hot, Cupcake

I heard two recent comments by former prominent NFL players about this and the changes in rules made:

Troy Aikman - 'Despite all these new rules, it doesn't seem like the rate of hits to the head is going down at all, which is what these new rules were supposed to help happen.'

Deion Sanders - 'If you can't hit with the helmet, they're gonna go for the legs...'

As for the Thursday Night game, nice showing by Seattle. Russell Wilson made some beautiful clutch plays and that Seattle defense is just monstrous. Arizona aren't that far off from being a decent team, but argh...they will never progress with Palmer. He's not as bad as last year's options were, but the guy is INT happy to the point only Eli Manning has been picked off more than him. Arians is already hinting he's prepared to bench Palmer. Not all his fault though - the Cardinals O-line is still terrible (seems that not many teams have decent O-lines this year to boot) and Arians runs a pass-focused gameplan that is always going to stress the QB.

Feels like the next draft will have a fair few teams biting for a new QB. Jacksonville, Arizona, Cleveland and Houston definitely will. St Louis seem somewhat likely with the stalling of Bradford's growth. Thing is - most of those clubs are going to offer a rough learning curve.
Old 2013-10-20, 18:22   Link #7345
Yye1
Wide Right

Man, that Pats OT call was bad

"Me and my girlfreinds are goin to go see Sex and the City." We're like: "Great! Now i dont have to take you to see that shit!"
Old 2013-10-20, 22:20   Link #7346
Last Sinner
You're Hot, Cupcake

I went out for a haircut when the Broncos were up 14-10 on the Colts early in the 2nd. I get back with 5 mins left in the 3rd and the Colts are up 33-14...yikes...

Holy flock...Kansas City are going to be the only undefeated team after Week 7?! This season continues to throw spanners in the works every week.

Edit: And right after I say that...Peyton drives the field in 48 seconds, TD. Indy fumbles a couple of plays later. 2 mins later, another Broncos TD after a clutch 4th down conversion. 36-30....And there's around half a quarter left...Manning has woken his troops up big time...

Last edited by Last Sinner; 2013-10-20 at 22:36.
Last Sinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-20, 23:14   Link #7347
sky black swordman

Not even Peyton Manning could get his team out of the hole.

The Colts beat the Broncos 39-33!
Old 2013-10-20, 23:19   Link #7348
Last Sinner
You're Hot, Cupcake

Just way too many turnovers...you have to play like a bat out of hell to overcome 5 turnovers. Credit to Indy for holding on despite their horrific injury toll. 3 corners, a centre and Reggie Wayne...that's heavy.

It's for real...Kansas are the only undefeated team. Andy Reid is surely Coach of the Year.
Old 2013-10-20, 23:30   Link #7349
Dilla
'Sup Ballers

So Indy has beaten SF, Seattle, and Denver but yet lost to Miami and SD.

I love NFL parity.
Dilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-20, 23:52   Link #7350
Samari
World's Greatest

Four straight victories for SF while scoring 30 straight points in each of them. We on a roll.

永遠不要失去信心,你的命運。
Old 2013-10-20, 23:54   Link #7351
monir
cho~ kakkoii

So Chiefs are the only one standing undefeated. One for Andy Reid. What a coach!!!!!!!!!!
monir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-20, 23:55   Link #7352
Samari
World's Greatest

Sam Bradford's season is done due to an ACL tear. That might have been his last game as a Ram. Won't be surprised if they look elsewhere. Especially with some high profile college quarterbacks coming up.

永遠不要失去信心,你的命運。
Old 2013-10-21, 01:28   Link #7353
Last Sinner
You're Hot, Cupcake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samari View Post
Sam Bradford's season is done due to an ACL tear. That might have been his last game as a Ram. Won't be surprised if they look elsewhere. Especially with some high profile college quarterbacks coming up.
Agreed, said just that a few days ago. This is a pool worth taking a shot on. Bradford seems destined to go the way of Blaine Gabbert.

I think it's become apparent why Michael Vick kept the starting job in Philly. Foles was just way off before he ran himself into a sack injury. And Matt Barkley....thrown into it deep and gives up 3 INTs in his debut...rough initiation...

Patriots have no one to blame but themselves for throwing that game away. Penalties before overtime, dropping wide open catches, pick six. Jets benefit from another team's mishaps yet again.

Great game in Washington. Their D is as suspect as offer, but their offense finally got into gear. And wouldn't you know it...Culter with a potentially season-ending injury AGAIN...it's gotten to the point you can't have a true NFL season without Cutler being taken out for the year halfway through...

Despite what Bradford and Cutler copped, the worst of it proably goes to Brain Cushing. Has his LCL blown and a broken leg in the same play. It isn't thrilling play in Kansas, but it's clean and very solid defense.
Old 2013-10-21, 06:33   Link #7354
Elo the Blue
Mama there goes that man!

Another week, another frustrating loss for the Ravens. Bye week came at the perfect time.
Old 2013-10-21, 07:04   Link #7355
GDB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dilla View Post
So Indy has beaten SF, Seattle, and Denver but yet lost to Miami and SD.

I love NFL parity.
They got Ravens-flu. They can beat amazing teams, but play down to bad teams.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elo the Blue View Post
Another week, another frustrating loss for the Ravens. Bye week came at the perfect time.
Yeah, seriously. They need to get their damn act together. At this rate, the BROWNS will represent the AFC North. And no one wants that.
GDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-21, 08:16   Link #7356
Last Sinner
You're Hot, Cupcake

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDB View Post
They got Ravens-flu. They can beat amazing teams, but play down to bad teams.

Yeah, seriously. They need to get their damn act together. At this rate, the BROWNS will represent the AFC North. And no one wants that.
Cleveland isn't going to represent the AFC North...Cincinatti are 5-2 and beating good teams. It's looking rather likely Kansas, Denver, Cincy, Indy and New England are all playoffs bound. You'd figure San Diego or NY Jets would get the final spot.
Old 2013-10-21, 08:37   Link #7357
GDB

There's a LOT of teams only 1 game behind Jets and Chargers (Ravens, Dolphins, Titans, Browns, Bills). Any of them have a shot. Of those, the Dolphins are only 3-3, so you could say they're only half a game behind. It's going to be a desperate fight for that 6th seed, and to see whether the Bengals and Pats can be upset and lose their current spots.
Old 2013-10-21, 11:31   Link #7358
Mr. DJ
Schwing!

oh my...

Mr. DJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-21, 13:01   Link #7359
Yye1
Wide Right

^he jumped from the 4 yard line I believe, that was amazing

Old 2013-10-21, 14:19   Link #7360
GDB

http://www.sbnation.com/lookit/2013/...zmat-bucs-mrsa

Oh Buccaneers. You so dirty.

Tags
american football, sports