AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > K-On!

Notices

Old 2009-08-25, 13:32   Link #241
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squawks View Post
Yeah but I didn't like the adaptation of Lucky*Star at all.

I honestly can't comprehend what a lot of people and Japan see in it.
Here, fixed it for you. Granted, a lot of the anime adaptation of L*S was Kyo-Ani inserted pop references (the manga is free of those and yet is funny so one wonders why Kyo-Ani couldn't leave it alone). So I think you're being gracious by saying Kyo-Ani "tried too hard".
But pop references are Monty Pythonesque ... it helps to do some research or one can miss half the jokes.

Paniponidash and the Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei series frankly need a Japanese "Knowledge bank of everything Japanese" to get all the humor in them - but in those series, the cultural references are part of the source material.

Last edited by Vexx; 2009-08-25 at 13:40. Reason: a followup post clarified what he meant by "shitty"
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-25, 13:40   Link #242
Tamad
デゲソ!! ( ・_・)ノ

Yeah Lucky Star is a hit or miss for most people, but to call it shitty is kind of overkill. Only the hardcore otaku can really aprreciate the series as a whole though.

Anyways, that new Mio figure has put me in quite the predicament. I'm considering holding off on the Alter Mio now that Kotobukiya has a prototype out, but if it ends that the Kotobukiya turns out not that great then it'll probably be too late to pre-order the Alter version. I tend to prefer Kotobukiya products overall anyways, but I agree with Vexx when he says the face looks a little off, and I want to see the complete design of the outfit before making my decision.
Old 2009-08-25, 13:49   Link #243
kenjiharima
Mizore-chan

As they say don't say anything if you don't have anything good to say at all.

Lucky Star is one of my Favorite shows and K-on too.
Old 2009-08-25, 15:23   Link #244
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamad View Post
Yeah Lucky Star is a hit or miss for most people, but to call it shitty is kind of overkill. Only the hardcore otaku can really aprreciate the series as a whole though.

Anyways, that new Mio figure has put me in quite the predicament. I'm considering holding off on the Alter Mio now that Kotobukiya has a prototype out, but if it ends that the Kotobukiya turns out not that great then it'll probably be too late to pre-order the Alter version. I tend to prefer Kotobukiya products overall anyways, but I agree with Vexx when he says the face looks a little off, and I want to see the complete design of the outfit before making my decision.
Yeah I went ahead and pre-ordered the Alter Mio and hope I don't regret it. Alter has done consistently decent work on all the figures I've ordered from them so I'm not tooooo worried. And I suppose there's always ebay if something else pops up (which reminds me that some of my stuff is due for ebaying).
Kotobukiya does good work too... but that draft model was just way off-model so yes... dilemma.
Old 2009-08-25, 16:40   Link #245
Squawks
PSI you from behind

Actually. Zetsubou Sensei almost feels like it's for those Western weeaboos as well. A lot of jokes are targeted to Western people as well.
Squawks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-25, 23:46   Link #246
MidnightViper88
HI, BILLY MAYS HERE

Send a message via AIM to MidnightViper88
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamad View Post
I already put a pre-order on the Alter Mio, and I'm standing my ground with solo footing...

The Kotobukiya Mio just doesn't have me sold, yet; The face looks a little off, and the Fender Jazz Bass is more than a little out of proportion...If they change those two things before the final prototype, then maybe I'll plop down more of my money to get it...Until then, I'll pass...
"I just want to lie in my own crusty filth, eating rancid egg sandwiches, until some unfortunate paramedic has to blow down my door to find my bloated and pasty corpse wedged between the nightstand and mattress stained with Bengay and Robitussin DM." - Greg Gutfeld on sex and seniors
"Syphilis does not stay in Vegas. Debt collectors do not stay in Vegas. Dead hookers stay in Vegas, but the guilt stays with you forever." - Bill Schultz
MidnightViper88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-26, 12:00   Link #247
Kudryavka

I think I'm the only one who thinks Kotobukiya's Mio is cute.
I think the face is okay, actually (it's not perfectly dead on to her book/screen apperances, but it looks nice in its own way); yes, that bass is reeally big, but I like oversized accessories, like bows, guitars, whatever the character has as an accessory. The possible Goth Loli elements of this Mio caught me, too.

All this is making me wonder if K-ON! will be uber merchandised like Haruhi and Lucky Star. Of course there's gonna be the ones who ride the K-ON! wagon just because it's the new best thing, but I also think that some of it will be artistry at work. There's so much creative potential in the series, and I'm sure many artists will take advantage of it.
Kudryavka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-26, 12:07   Link #248
klowny
OH NO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squawks View Post
Yeah but Lucky Star is pretty shitty.

I honestly can't comprehend what a lot of people and Japan see in it.
yeah but K-On! is worse! lol but both shows are okay at least

i was planning to pre order Alter Mio but it's alot of money
klowny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-26, 12:12   Link #249
Kudryavka

Dudes, I really think you should grade the source first before you go on saying the whole series sucks. Until then, please say, "Kyoto Animation's adaptation sucks."

It's like watching a crappy movie version of Harry Potter, a great book series, and then saying that all Harry Potter things suck. No good, my friends.

Last edited by Kudryavka; 2009-08-27 at 00:09. Reason: I cant spel. :(
Kudryavka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-26, 13:36   Link #250
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Komari View Post
Dudes, I really think you should grade the source first before you go on saying the whole series sucks. Until then, please say, "Kyoyo Animation's adaptation sucks."
This makes even less sense. If you haven't seen the source material, how can you decide that the "adaptation sucks"? The adaptation may be a perfectly fine rendition of the source material for all you know. In the end, Vexx's edit was right: you can only say that you don't like it. Don't say anything "sucks" unless you have the objective grounding to actually justify that opinion with facts and evidence and not just "I didn't like it".

Anyway, the real question is why we're discussing this in the first place. This is a thread about K-On merchandise, not about what shows do and don't suck.
relentlessflame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-26, 22:56   Link #251
kenjiharima
Mizore-chan

Spoiler for NSFW:

Posted this in the image thread, but it's really a merchandise one so here it is again.
Old 2009-08-27, 05:05   Link #252
kenjiharima
Mizore-chan

Blu-ray disc K-on 4

Yui and Ritsu in the background. O_O
Old 2009-08-27, 11:04   Link #253
kenjiharima
Mizore-chan

This will be also posted on the Toradora thread.

Spoiler for K-On a bunch of figures you decide what to buy.:

Ui and Sawako sensei are at the lower right
Old 2009-08-27, 11:16   Link #254
DidCart

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenjiharima View Post
Blu-ray disc K-on 4

WTF?!
DidCart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-27, 11:25   Link #255
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Blu-ray disc K-on 4

Looks like Mugi got her dream. GO MUGI! Use your tongue!

Quote:
This will be also posted on the Toradora thread.

Spoiler for K-On a bunch of figures you decide what to buy.:

Ui and Sawako sensei are at the lower right
Azunyan has become synonymous with nekomimi.....even her stance is like a kitty waiting to pounce. Me want.

And I was wondering in a while what are those silly looking animals beside the girls, until I remember those are the costumes they wore while handing out flyers back in Year 2.

Mugi looks pretty in her black dress with the keyboard. Wish the figurine was bigger.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-27, 13:50   Link #256
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Sigh... I get the impression that photobucket may have reduced its maximum permissible daily bandwidth. I'm seeing those "Upgrade to Pro!! Bandwidth exceeded" images everywhere instead of the desired images. (kenjiharima and others).
Old 2009-08-27, 19:00   Link #257
Squawks
PSI you from behind

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Sigh... I get the impression that photobucket may have reduced its maximum permissible daily bandwidth. I'm seeing those "Upgrade to Pro!! Bandwidth exceeded" images everywhere instead of the desired images. (kenjiharima and others).
In case you hadn't seen the image yet.
Squawks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-27, 22:23   Link #258
kenjiharima
Mizore-chan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Yep...been affected also...Me and HEX are the ones affected. Better get a new imagehost server later on. Also thanks to Squawks for the bigger resolution of the Blu-Ray disc.
Old 2009-08-27, 22:29   Link #259
MidnightViper88
HI, BILLY MAYS HERE

Send a message via AIM to MidnightViper88
This forum is a notorious source for bandwidth leechers; Post a pic here and it's passed throughout half the internet...Not a good thing, especially if you have a free image hosting like Photobucket...

That's why I don't have graphical signatures here, or at least none that last more than a month at a time...

Anyway, I'm a little disappointed...Tsumugi fans get their early Christmas gift, but Ritsu/Mio fans are still waiting...
"I just want to lie in my own crusty filth, eating rancid egg sandwiches, until some unfortunate paramedic has to blow down my door to find my bloated and pasty corpse wedged between the nightstand and mattress stained with Bengay and Robitussin DM." - Greg Gutfeld on sex and seniors
"Syphilis does not stay in Vegas. Debt collectors do not stay in Vegas. Dead hookers stay in Vegas, but the guilt stays with you forever." - Bill Schultz
MidnightViper88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-27, 22:35   Link #260
kenjiharima
Mizore-chan

AH!!! So that what happened my images. Oh well that's life...