AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Shin Sekai Yori

Notices

Old 2012-10-13, 10:19   Link #401
Guido
Snobby Gentleman

Shin Sekai Yori. First Thoughts

Late starting the fall season, but here I am.

To me this is a show that I cannot take lightly with just viewing each episode one.

Clearly, the first episode showcases and suggests that the village is not what it seems to be peaceful at first beginning with the rumors spread around the school.

Spoiler:

To me this anime feels like the film The Village if one pays close attention to the story from the villagers about the fiends and the nekodamashii, although I can perceive some real Higurashi tropes.
The group of childhood friends meeting up at school engaging in activities but confiding amongst themselves secret rumors that they've heard about the school and among other things happening.

Spoiler:
Guido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-13, 10:29   Link #402
Grey

That cliffhanger! Again! This show is still getting full points for drawing me in.

A biological, autonomous library? With massive history records? Snazzy. We can see how the friction between the kids and establishment will appear now.

Looks like the preview suggests that the "fiends" are indeed power users. And we'll get an info dump about the rest of society too. Awesome.

Also: full points for the constant costume/hair changes.
Grey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-13, 11:16   Link #403
hussien-11

Quote:
This is indeed the best anime show of Fall 2012 so far, imo.
Actually, if this series continued to be this good, it might turn out to be my all time favorite, yup it's that good to me

episode 3 reminded me of some great 80's or 70's anime with a great relaxing atmosphere that was done so well in the past

This show is "magical" and totally captivating, yet so dark

can't wait for the next episode, looks like it will advance the story and the kids will find out more about their world.
hussien-11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-13, 13:58   Link #404
Blaat

So hints of Maria x Mamoru at the end, or am I misinterpreting 'you don't have to praise her' line?

Anyway loved the episode, as always the time flew by.
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitecloud View Post
Spoiler:
I find it rather interesting that in the older picture Saki and Satoru are still looking at the viewer but the other three are looking away. Did their older selves do something shameful
Old 2012-10-13, 14:18   Link #405
SinsI

The assassination that succeeded due to lack of psychokinetists is a good explanation for the whole eugenics/power breeding program.
SinsI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-13, 14:23   Link #406
kuromitsu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaat View Post
I find it rather interesting that in the older picture Saki and Satoru are still looking at the viewer but the other three are looking away. Did their older selves do something shameful
Well, seeing Saki's comment about Maria in the end of ep 2...
Anyway, I wonder who is that extra character in the timeskip picture.
kuromitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-13, 14:58   Link #407
miketyson

Well, this is definitely feeling like a new world.

That character seems to be in both pictures and looks like one of those molemen/ratmen manimals.
miketyson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-13, 15:46   Link #408
kuromitsu

Quote:
Originally Posted by miketyson View Post
That character seems to be in both pictures and looks like one of those molemen/ratmen manimals.
No, there's one extra character in the post-timeskip picture, to Saki's left. S/he is wearing a green coat and seems to have the head of an animal.
kuromitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-13, 17:09   Link #409
ThereminVox
Guess what time it is?

For the second week in a row, the ED hits, and I just sit in complete disbelief that it could possibly be over already. THIS SHOW, YOU GUYS.

This library is most assuredly not intended to be interrogated by children. My first thought after seeing the episode is that the reason rumors popped up that those who see a false minoshiro die afterwards is probably that those who find out about it tend to get removed. Further evidence being that Saki had to threaten its life to obtain a library card... and here I thought my university library was officious and strict.
ThereminVox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-13, 20:05   Link #410
miketyson

Ah, I see now kuromitsu, I'm totally blind.
miketyson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-13, 22:08   Link #411
Shadow5YA

Interesting... so I take it the scenes we saw at the beginning of each episode were actually archives from the minoshiro library?

I could see why it was rumored that no one who saw the false minoshiro would survive. Most children wouldn't normally have protection against the hypnosis. Saki lucked out.
Shadow5YA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-13, 22:31   Link #412
Fevvers
a regular van veen

The sakuga in that castle siege was impressive. Wonder who the animators were there...

Still a fascinating episode, as has been the case with episode 1. I do wish they'd remove the narration completely though; it's not really obtrusive, just a little nitpick.
Fevvers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-13, 22:45   Link #413
whitecloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow5YA View Post
Interesting... so I take it the scenes we saw at the beginning of each episode were actually archives from the minoshiro library?

I could see why it was rumored that no one who saw the false minoshiro would survive. Most children wouldn't normally have protection against the hypnosis. Saki lucked out.
actually i think it more like they are killed by the "govenment", remember the false minoshiro only put them under hypnosis as the code state for self defense but it dont have other weapon...but the kid who saw it most likely tell about it to the school about it thus because the school know that the false minoshiro is a library the student might have read it, something that they musnt know, thus eliminated

P.S: i have a theory about maria, why saki say maria would better not be born into this world, maria maybe hold a cantus power that is the strongest in history of the school, or maybe current history thus effect the upcoming war greatly
whitecloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-13, 23:06   Link #414
Kazu-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitecloud View Post
i have a theory about maria, why saki say maria would better not be born into this world, maria maybe hold a cantus power that is the strongest in history of the school, or maybe current history thus effect the upcoming war greatly
Maria's cantus doesn't seem particularly powerful though.

I think only Shun is stated to be above average in their group.
Old 2012-10-13, 23:16   Link #415
whitecloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazu-kun View Post
Maria's cantus doesn't seem particularly powerful though.

I think only Shun is stated to be above average in their group.
well..currently maybe...but since the show itself has a long span, 2 arc (child and adult arc) it most likely in the future that it was found that she actually the strongest one...the current maria dont look strong maybe because she doesnt train enough, or maybe because of the weird ritual of ep1 she was hypnotized thus sealed temporarily until later on...
whitecloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-13, 23:22   Link #416
Byakou

Stuff is starting to get interesting now. The kids are in for a shock next ep.
Byakou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-13, 23:49   Link #417
Warm Mist

You know, putting the juicy spoiler in the thread and asking "don't open it" isn't really the best way to make people not get spoiled. Why are you even posting that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fevvers View Post
The sakuga in that castle siege was impressive. Wonder who the animators were there...
The whole scene was done by Jun Arai, and the reception was pretty mixed in sakuga dedicated places (at least in english). There was even a moment when the guy closed his twitter claiming that "everyone is a hypocrite in twitter!" because apparently some people from the industry badmouthed his shading style. It was pretty fun to see it unfold

I wonder what will be the big events that trigger not only one, but two timeskips during the show. It seems like we're in for some nice twists, here's hoping they're not underwhelming and actually deserve the build up we're getting.
Warm Mist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-14, 00:46   Link #418
Fevvers
a regular van veen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warm Mist View Post
The whole scene was done by Jun Arai, and the reception was pretty mixed in sakuga dedicated places (at least in english). There was even a moment when the guy closed his twitter claiming that "everyone is a hypocrite in twitter!" because apparently some people from the industry badmouthed his shading style. It was pretty fun to see it unfold
I'm not as familiar with animators as I think I should be. Is it true though that Mitsuo Iso will have a part in this show as well? If the rumors are true.. *crosses fingers*
Fevvers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-14, 02:10   Link #419
Warm Mist

It's not confirmed by far, but everyone is waiting in anticipation for it. It seems like it's something he would work on, and he has a pretty good relationship with Ishihama... he animated for Uchuu Show.

If it's not here, it will be on EVA 3.0, but there are noisy rumours about Iso working on animation again this Fall.

Sorry for the off-topic, but it's at least tangentially related to the show and it's never bad to know more about the people behind a work. This show is only as good as it is because the director is talented and experienced, and the full staff is working hard to realize his vision of the source.
Warm Mist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-14, 03:26   Link #420
Cosmic Eagle
今宵の虎徹は血に飢えている

I wonder whose tech is advanced enough to create an organism-based hard drive like that...Looks like something survived the downfall of civilization..

Tags
adventure, fantasy, science fiction, supernatural