AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > Gundam

Notices

View Poll Results: What battle was the epitome of the CE era.
Strike Vs Aegis: Final Duel 79 56.43%
Freedom Vs. Providence 39 27.86%
Freedom Vs. Impulse 16 11.43%
Strike Freedom Vs. Legend 2 1.43%
Infinite Justice Vs. Impulse [ Luna Maria ] 0 0%
Infinite Justice Vs. Destiny 4 2.86%
Voters: 140. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2006-01-08, 13:15   Link #21
Coolrush

Send a message via AIM to Coolrush
Quote:
Originally Posted by dom33
it is obvious if you pay attention and stop being a blind tsa fan.
lol the pot calling the kettle black.

anyway id say the Aegis/Strike fight and the Freedom/Providence fight. All of the GSD duels sucked for the most part.
Coolrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-08, 13:47   Link #22
HazardNights

Send a message via AIM to HazardNights Send a message via MSN to HazardNights Send a message via Yahoo to HazardNights
Providence vs Freedom gets my vote. This is how a Gundam ending fight should be. Both suits being riped apart, emotion running full force, and the comeback at the end. This is when I liked Kira, where he actually showed some skill. This beam spam after getting Freedom was forgiven I feel when he fought against the EA's new Gundams and then Providence since he showed he could actually fight instead of just falling back on the beam spam.

Strike vs. Aegis is good as well but how it ended kills my vote for it and I didn't care for the still shots that much to be honest. Though loved that the two suits were destroying each other apart, as it should be. So still shots in that case aren't that bad..

Everything else on that list pretty much comes down to pure plot device, plot holes, and boring fighting.
HazardNights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-08, 17:37   Link #23
Shinji103
Crazy Devout Fanboy

Location: 1st Ra Cailum-class battleship Ra Cailum, port-side officer's bunks
I voted for Freedom vs Providence. Why? Simple: GSEED, unlike GSD, still somewhat applied logic and physics and all that good stuff that makes our universe work in a non-random way, and Freedom vs Providence was the ultimate fight of the GSEED series. Strike vs Aegis comes in close second, slapped down only because Kira's survival was one of the plot-devices of GSEED.
Old 2006-01-09, 00:59   Link #24
Demongod86
Gundam Boobs and Boom FTW

Blast door. Blast door covered Kira from boom. Read manga.
Demongod86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-09, 01:09   Link #25
TwilightHack
~ Madoka = Win ~

Strike v Aegis

Freedom v Providence
TwilightHack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-09, 01:23   Link #26
Neaco
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by duotiga
Aegis vs Strike -> the clash of ideals and friendship..........the most dramatic part duel which cause the death of 2 closest friend from each side....

legendary fight.....
agreed, never seen any other SEED series fight IMO where both sides where so determined to kill each other and where they were about evenly matched in skill and suits.

Freedom v Providence is my second choice although I'm not a fan of dragoons/funnel involved battles.

In retrospect I do wonder why Kira v Andy (desert tiger arc) wasn't listed as an option. I think it definely qualifies as a duel (altho not gundam vs gundam) and it was great as well. In any case it deserves a mention.
Neaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-09, 01:32   Link #27
RX-78GP04G Gerbera
Whoosh!

Send a message via AIM to RX-78GP04G Gerbera Send a message via MSN to RX-78GP04G Gerbera Send a message via Yahoo to RX-78GP04G Gerbera

Yeah...I can't decide at all between Strike vs. Aegis or Freedom vs. Providence.

Both were very good duels with both suits getting torn apart bit by bit with neither side coming out without a scratch (obviously since Aegis self destructs, Strike gets mangled by it, Freedom gets mangled and Providence gets blown away, lol).

Most other duels in SEED and SEED Destiny were just...pretty lacking to me. They just seemed like most Gundam Wing duels where, basically, nothing really "happens" and the fight is just taking place to take up time...or for pilots to look good.
RX-78GP04G Gerbera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-09, 01:35   Link #28
WarpObscura
Bibliophile

*Points at poll, which says "What battle was the epitome of the CE era"*

That means Astray is good to go too.

Anyway... Red Frame Vs Blue Frame was awesome. The final Hyperion Vs Dreadnought, where Prayer used his Newtype powers to make a Fin Funnel Barrier, was great too. Of course, all three of Ed's major fights during the USSA arc were brilliant.

As for anime, final Kira Vs Andy was nice too. Kira Vs Athrun was... Hmm... No comment.
WarpObscura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-09, 01:43   Link #29
Mr_Paper
Hmm...

Except most of the duels in Wing, I can only recall a few true duels, were stalemated by outside interference.

In the first encounter between Trowa and Quatre, Trowa surrendered after running out of ammo and getting surrounded. Heero versus Zechs in Antartica was interupted by UESA soldiers trying to capture the Gundams and show their worth to OZ while in Siberia, it was a self-destruct order. For Wing Zero versus the Vayeate and Mercurius, the Vayeate was obliterated shortly after taking a shot from the TBR and the Mercurius severly damaged to the point it was barely operable. For Heero and Zechs final duel, it could be said it was fought to completion.

That's roughly three out of five duels being interupted in someway.

While it's true most of the battles in GSD and, to some degree, GS just seemed to be there to take up time and (especially in GSD) make characters look good, most of the battles in Wing didn't leave that impression on me. >.>
Mr_Paper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-09, 02:53   Link #30
solcroft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demongod86
Blast door covered Kira from boom, but allowed cockpit seat to get melted?
solcroft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-09, 04:33   Link #31
Strike Mk.II

Freedom Vs Providence.

Not one Gundam and its pilots got the treatment they desevered in GSD.
Strike Mk.II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-09, 13:17   Link #32
Shinji103
Crazy Devout Fanboy

Quote:
I did read the manga. But then there's the point solcroft pointed out. Ignoring common sense to try and maintain your fanboy-ism is bad for your image. (as if your image could get much worse)
Old 2006-01-09, 13:25   Link #33
demon_god04
~Hi -mi- tsu des~

Freedom vs Providence battle was the best for me, loved how Rau was just playing around with Kira's mind, emotions running high and they both got trashed

Quote:
Originally Posted by solcroft
Its the miracle blast door of plot device that can even block positron blasts, our feeble notions of reality and logic are simply no match for the fukuda universe
demon_god04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-09, 14:39   Link #34
Sety
Lost in your Eyes~~~

Freedom vs Providence easily........only thing I didn't like about that fight was the end of it........extremely cheesy, Rau was obviously on top and Kira got out without a single scratch and for that matter somehow pulled away in time in a horrifically damaged Freedom.
Sety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-09, 17:15   Link #35
Demongod86
Gundam Boobs and Boom FTW

Quote:
Originally Posted by solcroft
Temperature got very very very very VERY high. Spacesuit can resist temperature, seat...cannot.

What other explanation is there?

Ooh, ooh, I know, I know!!

PLOT DEVICE!!!!!!!!!!

@ Shinji: when will you learn that my posts are only 50% serious and 50% satire?
Demongod86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-09, 19:35   Link #36
WhereAmI
Ecchi Otaku

Location: Inside your head, I'm a figment of your imagination
Given that this is a story, and not real life, isn't everything, technically, a plot device? All the actions of the characters are decided by the writes. The only way I would say otherwise, is if they pull names of gundams/mobile suits out of box, flip a coin for winner, and finally pulls the name of the way the gundam/mobile suit that loses gets "destroyed" out of another box, in which case the story is totally random; this would truly have no plot device, all decided by the luck of the draw.
WhereAmI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-09, 20:04   Link #37
polar720

If the fight wasn`t so one sided, I`d of voted for Impulse versus Freedom, cause it shows that Kira`s blabber won`t work for anyone, and it was the first time he had trouble in the series. People call it a cheap fight for Shinn, but they`re simply just making excuses for Kira`s loss. But that`s besides the point, since Aegis vs. Strike was easily the best fight of the two series. Equal amounts of power kicking each others asses is much more entertaining than the usual Destiny fight.
polar720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-09, 21:22   Link #38
WarpObscura
Bibliophile

Remember kids (), it was Studio Orphee and not Fukuda who handled Astray. Go after Studio Orphee if that explanation does not satisfy you. Stop blaming Fukuda for inadequate explanations he never made. XD
WarpObscura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-09, 23:34   Link #39
kitezero
Strike Freedom

i voted for the "Freedom V.S. Providence" but now that i think about i'm not sure why? maybe because the battle lasted longer which made it more intense by having such a hard to shot each other down. in the "Strike V.S. Aegis: Final Duel" it all happen to fast like they forgot all about defence and was trying to do as much damage as possible.
kitezero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-09, 23:53   Link #40
Shinji103
Crazy Devout Fanboy

Quote:
Temperature got very very very very VERY high. Spacesuit can resist temperature, seat...cannot.

What other explanation is there?

Ooh, ooh, I know, I know!!

PLOT DEVICE!!!!!!!!!!

@ Shinji: when will you learn that my posts are only 50% serious and 50% satire?
You see, that's the point. There isn't a reasonable explanation, it's a plot device.

I do know that, but it still doesn't change the fact that it gets very anoying to see such one-sided fanboyish-ness.