AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2012-06-27, 16:17   Link #1001
kitten320

Actually it always bothered me... does Asami have any friends? So far she never interacted with anyone except the gang and her father.

If it is an indication that Asami has no friends in rich world then there is no way she would break the connection with the gang with whom she had spent so much time.
Old 2012-06-27, 18:05   Link #1002
Waven
Itadaki-nyaaa !!

Asami is the the group's non-bender member, like Sokka was, so I guess she can be considered main cast and is bound to stay. Also note that Toph did not appear until the second book of the original series and she was pretty much considered main cast right?

Another thing, and I don't know if you guys have already talked about it since I'm a little late to the party: I liked the ending but was somewhat surprised that almost every major topic had some closure. The villain(s) dead, Korra already having full avatar status/ able to use all elements, the main couple (I guess) together - It could very well have been the end of the entire series, next to no loose strings. It kinda leaves us completely in the dark about what to expect next season, right.

So am I the only one that wonders about the lack of a general "quest" that goes through all seasons? One possiblity could be that instead of continuing where S1 left off we'll have a considerable timeskip and more mature main characters - sounds good to me.
Waven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-27, 19:04   Link #1003
morbosfist
Spinning Lotus

This show doesn't have an overall arc like ALTA did. Each season is self-contained, villain-wise.
Old 2012-06-27, 19:37   Link #1004
frubam
simp for Lyria

Send a message via AIM to frubam
I gotta say, I was rather underwhelmed by the ending than I thought I would. I didn't like the fact that Korra obtained all of her powers back so easily. They should have dedicated the first ep of the next season and some kind of spiritual test to gain her powers back. Amon was still stronger than Korra; he just let his guard down at the wrong moment, then everything fell through. It felt kind of cheap, cause Amon had planned so meticulously, it would be hard to imagine Korra really stopping him if he tried.

Now the great thing about the last ep was the Tarlok/Amon story. Real touching, from the beginning to the very end, when Tarlok blew up the ship. I actually got misty-eyed on that part (;_; )

frubam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-27, 20:23   Link #1005
ellifeedn
Thinker

In theory, does the Avatar have to learn to bend lightning and metal or is that optional?
ellifeedn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-27, 20:27   Link #1006
frubam
simp for Lyria

Send a message via AIM to frubam
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellifeedn View Post
In theory, does the Avatar have to learn to bend lightning and metal or is that optional?
No. In fact, nothing has ever been stated that the Avatar had been able to use the advanced versions of bending. Plus Toph and Hama are said to be the first metal and blood benders respectively.

frubam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-27, 20:37   Link #1007
monster

Many, if not all, of them probably have the potential, but being able to master the four main types of bending makes it unnecessary for the Avatar to want to try bending lightning, metal, or even blood.
monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-27, 21:12   Link #1008
kitten320

I wonder if we will meet any blue fire benders next season. So far it is the only bending that was not mistreated in Korra.

I always loved Azula's blue flames and they are considered to be the hottest. Hope that whoever uses them will be as impressive.
Old 2012-06-27, 22:07   Link #1009
creb
Hiding Under Your Bed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waven View Post
Asami is the the group's non-bender member, like Sokka was, so I guess she can be considered main cast and is bound to stay. Also note that Toph did not appear until the second book of the original series and she was pretty much considered main cast right?

Another thing, and I don't know if you guys have already talked about it since I'm a little late to the party: I liked the ending but was somewhat surprised that almost every major topic had some closure. The villain(s) dead, Korra already having full avatar status/ able to use all elements, the main couple (I guess) together - It could very well have been the end of the entire series, next to no loose strings. It kinda leaves us completely in the dark about what to expect next season, right.

So am I the only one that wonders about the lack of a general "quest" that goes through all seasons? One possiblity could be that instead of continuing where S1 left off we'll have a considerable timeskip and more mature main characters - sounds good to me.
Initially, I agreed, and was wracking my brain as to how this story was going to continue.

However, I think there's a chance that we see the big-picture idea that Amon brought up continue to drive whatever adventure Book 2 brings. How do you equalize benders with the normal populace? Let's not forget, that really wasn't answered by the end of Book 1, and with the whole 1920's setting, where machines are leveling the playing field, I strongly suspect it will continue to be the main theme behind the show as it moves forward. Amon being a hypocrit doesn't change the fact that there were a heck of a lot of 'normals' who believed in his message. That didn't magically go away when Korra unmasked him and gained her airbending abilities.

It's a theme that's never been explored very well in any 'super powered' universe, and usually glossed over or made trite of (X-men). Korra could potentially bring a far more mature reconciliation to that theme. Or, not.

Also, it's probably a given that Asami will continue to be around. Didn't the writers flat out state that cheesy teenage romance would figure large in this series? In fact, if memory servers, 'cheesy teenage romance' were almost their exact words. Can't have that without Korra x Mako x Asami trading each other around several times like any good cheesy teenage sitcom.
Also, cake.
creb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-28, 03:13   Link #1010
Waven
Itadaki-nyaaa !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by creb View Post
Initially, I agreed, and was wracking my brain as to how this story was going to continue.

However, I think there's a chance that we see the big-picture idea that Amon brought up continue to drive whatever adventure Book 2 brings. How do you equalize benders with the normal populace? Let's not forget, that really wasn't answered by the end of Book 1, and with the whole 1920's setting, where machines are leveling the playing field, I strongly suspect it will continue to be the main theme behind the show as it moves forward. Amon being a hypocrit doesn't change the fact that there were a heck of a lot of 'normals' who believed in his message. That didn't magically go away when Korra unmasked him and gained her airbending abilities. ...
Very true, I agree and I've always thought that the Equalists in general, minus Amon's lust for power and revenge, had a very fair point, although ofc their methods were questionable. After all, we're talking about a state governed by a small council of what I believe to be only benders ( I suppose, since everyone, except Tensin, voted in favor of the non-bender curfew).
Old 2012-06-28, 10:15   Link #1011
Starshipw
Free Opinions Available

The fact that the there are only benders on the council just happens to be by chance not by original design. Remember that Sokka was the Council Chairman. The Councilors are prominent people from their respective countries. It is just that in the current power structure that the most powerful people are, surprise, benders.

Having been restricted to Republic City for almost all of the season, we have little information on the lives of the people in the hinterlands or the political situation in the nations. 70 years ago Fire was a military dictatorship. Was Zuko able to turn it into something closer to a modern constitutional monarchy? Earth was an empire with minor kings ruled by the beauracracy in Ba Singh Se. Beaurocrats always cling tightly to power, even at the expence of the country, let alone the unwashed masses. Wealth from rising industries not from royal patronage is a new factor previous avatars have not encountered. How will that upset the social order?

I would find the next season very interesting if Korra went on a quest to become familiar with her world and try to set it back into balance between benders, nonbenders, and the spirits.
Starshipw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-28, 18:41   Link #1012
Waven
Itadaki-nyaaa !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starshipw View Post
The fact that the there are only benders on the council just happens to be by chance not by original design. Remember that Sokka was the Council Chairman. The Councilors are prominent people from their respective countries. It is just that in the current power structure that the most powerful people are, surprise, benders.

Having been restricted to Republic City for almost all of the season, we have little information on the lives of the people in the hinterlands or the political situation in the nations. 70 years ago Fire was a military dictatorship. Was Zuko able to turn it into something closer to a modern constitutional monarchy? Earth was an empire with minor kings ruled by the beauracracy in Ba Singh Se. Beaurocrats always cling tightly to power, even at the expence of the country, let alone the unwashed masses. Wealth from rising industries not from royal patronage is a new factor previous avatars have not encountered. How will that upset the social order?

I would find the next season very interesting if Korra went on a quest to become familiar with her world and try to set it back into balance between benders, nonbenders, and the spirits.
I know it was just coincidence. Still I think the decision that was made, for example, concerning the curfew must have been heavily motivated by what council members were, benders. It is a fair concept that members are chosen from every nation/element/tribe but it is still missing the bender/non-bender distinction. Imagine a council with only non-bender representatives with a similar attitude as Amon, they could enforce a ban on bending in the republic completely, marginalization of benders ensued. A fair council would consist of an equal number of benders and non-benders but then again that would very often result in powerlessness when it comes to decision making, a mostly impotent government.

I wonder if we'll ever see anything about the other nations at all. To me the republic is standing as a(n imperfect) model for the future while the other nations are becoming relics.

With these more complex political structures in the Avatar world, what use is the Avatar anyway with her/his role of balance? In this world that is becoming less playful fantasy and more "history like" what can a single being of spiritual balance do?

Last edited by Waven; 2012-06-28 at 20:12.
Old 2012-06-28, 19:15   Link #1013
Fenrir_valindri
Miria's #1 Disciple

I imagine the role of the Avatar will eventually become similar to that of the Pope in the western world. A spiritual leader, and one a great many nations pay respect to, but not really possessing any direct power in the political arena.

Of course, the Avatar has as much physical power as spiritual, so I imagine they would be even more influential, especially since the Spirit World is known to exist as a fact.
Old 2012-06-28, 22:57   Link #1014
secretzfan
*Fansubber

I got my review of finale
http://www.animevice.com/endgame/12-...review_id=1168
Old 2012-06-29, 00:46   Link #1015
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitten320 View Post
Actually it always bothered me... does Asami have any friends? So far she never interacted with anyone except the gang and her father.

If it is an indication that Asami has no friends in rich world then there is no way she would break the connection with the gang with whom she had spent so much time.
But...you've got a couple now that doesn't include Asami. Normal male-female couple interactions mean that "No hanging around the ex is allowed." This goes both ways. So even if Asami had no other friends, hanging with them now would be too awkward and just not done imo.

And..it didn't matter with Sokka because he was with his little sister.
Old 2012-06-30, 12:55   Link #1016
kitten320

My ex-boyfriend was and still is one of my closest friends, I see nothing wrong here. Awkwardness does not last forever. I would hate to cancel all the connection with our common friends just because we are not together. Same applies to him. Besides none of us wanted to lose the friendship we had till now so things were sorted out in peaceful way.
He lives far away now but we still talk to each other and I would love to see him again with nothing romantic in mind. I don't care whom he dates as long as it is a nice person. Whoever can't accept it is immature.

Ruining friendship just because you are not dating anymore is beyond childish. With such set of mind it is better not to date at all. Or lock the 2 of you out and never have any common friends.

Circumstances under which the two broke up are painful but not enough to hate each other to the point of not talking. Give them few months and it will be fine. Whole awkwardness and past could become a theme of a joke.

I'm not alone like that, I've heard of enough cases where ex-couples stayed as good friends.

Last edited by kitten320; 2012-06-30 at 13:09.
kitten320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-01, 08:12   Link #1017
Destined_Fate

After getting a look of the fanbase it seems to be disporportionately in favor of a female audience than a male one. So it's starting to make sense that they pushed for a Mako x Korra ending even though they didn't really resolve Mako x Asami. A lot of the viewers are too young to be concerned about that stuff and care more that Makorra looks cute and that they look cute together and love that the season ends with them together. It's all about the audience, huh?
Destined_Fate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-02, 16:03   Link #1018
kitten320

I felt like making a short video and this song works perfectly well with Asami so...
Despite it being short, I still got lazy in second part, AE was a pain in the ass -_-

and no, it is mot a crack ship video.
Old 2012-07-02, 16:09   Link #1019
Awrya
U mad?

Of course it's all about the audience, who'd make a tv show without an audience at mind Producing the show costs money, which they have to earn back (if not more).

Compared to Aang's story, romance moves quite fast between characters. With Aang it took 60+ episodes, while Korra only needed ~10 episodes, which makes it seem more forced.
Old 2012-07-03, 05:08   Link #1020
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

How The Legend of Korra successfully integrated technology with a fantasy world

5 Ways The Legend of Korra Went Wrong

Tags
avatar the last airbender, korra