AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2012-02-10, 23:10   Link #41
Ledgem
Love Yourself

I'd like to offer some slightly different advice, particularly since you're going to be going through a lot of completed series: space them out. What I mean is, limit yourself to one episode per day, or only watch an episode or two on weekends... that sort of thing. The reason for that is because it makes the series more meaningful to you if you spend more overall time with it, and make it a part of your routine. One of the benefits of watching new series is that you're forced to wait week by week, and the series ultimately occupies about three to four months of your life. When you have the entire series before you, it can be tempting to watch everything in one or two days. I think one of the major strengths of an anime series compared to, say, a movie, is that having it spaced out makes it have a greater impact on you overall... especially the series endings.

Granted, that style isn't for everyone. It can also take a fair bit of discipline, especially on series that really hype up each following episode. I think you'll savor each series a bit more if you can, though. I think it's fine to watch multiple series concurrently (just don't go crazy - up to six or seven is probably the max I'd be comfortable with), but again, people have different preferences and viewing styles.

Otherwise, I'll echo the words of others and say, watch what ever appeals to you. With time and as you watch a lot of series you'll become more picky, but unless you're a picky person by nature, you'll probably be fine. I've watched a ton of series over the past 11-12 years, and while I went through two or three years when very few series appealed to me, I feel that I can enjoy nearly all series again. The only thing that I'm still burned out on are the "sex comedies" (I hesitate to even call them "romantic comedies"... see series like Mouse or UFO Princess Valkyrie, even just watching the openings on YouTube should give you a sense of what I'm talking about). Those are entertaining for the perverted factor, but generally have a weak premise and forgettable characters. If you've seen one, you've seen almost all of them.

There are definitely series that stand out among the years, and you'll usually get those through recommendations or series rankings. Don't be afraid to check out series that aren't as highly talked about, though. You never know - it might be very meaningful to you, but not to everyone else.

Lastly, the overall style of anime has changed over the years. I wouldn't shy away from series that were made in the 90's, but be aware that the pacing, art styles, animation styles, and overall feel will be different from modern series. One major thing to be aware of is that with series from the 90's and early 2000's, there was a sort of "formula" that many series followed. If it was a 24 episode series, the first eight or so episodes were generally devoted to introducing the characters and the world, the rest up to episode 12 created a miniature storyline that showed how the characters interacted, and then the remaining 12 or so episodes represented what the series was really about. In other words, there was a very slow buildup, and you had to watch at least the first 3-8 episodes to really give the series a fair chance. Series today are a lot better about keeping you engaged from the first episode.

Don't worry about running out of things to watch, and enjoy the journey
Old 2012-02-10, 23:26   Link #42
Elegance

Well, well known animes are good. People usually start with the well known anime such as death note or naruto. Then when someone gets bored they got onto the next one. To me it doesnt matter at all if its well known or not. As long as it keeps interested. I think you should watch what interests you, whether its something not well known or something known. Its not a bad thing either way because eventually you will watch all of it.
Old 2012-02-11, 06:13   Link #43
xMythycle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ledgem View Post
I'd like to offer some slightly different advice, particularly since you're going to be going through a lot of completed series: space them out. What I mean is, limit yourself to one episode per day, or only watch an episode or two on weekends... that sort of thing. The reason for that is because it makes the series more meaningful to you if you spend more overall time with it, and make it a part of your routine. One of the benefits of watching new series is that you're forced to wait week by week, and the series ultimately occupies about three to four months of your life. When you have the entire series before you, it can be tempting to watch everything in one or two days. I think one of the major strengths of an anime series compared to, say, a movie, is that having it spaced out makes it have a greater impact on you overall... especially the series endings.
Great advice! haven't looked at it this way before. I actually think that this may not just improve the overall impact, but also the way I will look at each episode. By this I mean that I will probably be much more stoked to watch the next episode, this will also give me a much more satisfied feeling when I finish an anime.
I really don't mind the older shows being slower if this means the first few episodes actually do a good job at introducing the characters. But this once again means I'll just have to see for myself whether I really do like it.
Thanks for jumping in and telling me this, it will most likely turn out to be great advice

Add my 3DS: 2793 - 1012 - 8861
Old 2012-02-11, 08:07   Link #44
kitten320

For me personally, spacing anime out is a minus. I'm a type of person who gets hardly ever excited and if I do then it won't be a long lasting feeling. In order for it to last, I need extra dose. If I have to wait for months to find out how this will end, I will lose interest. But if I keep getting pumped up in short period of time, that feeling can last months and sometimes even years for me.

That's why I'm really glad that I didn't follow some shows and watched them later in one go or short period of time.
Old 2012-02-11, 10:22   Link #45
Liddo-kun
is this so?

Quote:
Originally Posted by xMythycle View Post
First of all: I'm not sure where to post this exactly but I decided to post it here, if this isn't the right place please delete this thread and notify me, I did safe this whole post so I can post it relatively easy

Now, on to my problem.
I started watching anime last summer and I'm really enjoying it, right now I like romance, fantasy and action based animes the most.

- Fate / Stay Night
- Fate / Zero
If you've liked Fate / Stay Night and Fate / Zero..
Then I suggest that you try Carnival Phantasm, it might surprise you.
Old 2012-02-11, 11:47   Link #46
kitten320

^Might be good to watch Shingetsutan Tsukihime before hand since it is also there. I didn't watch it so scenes based around them were not that much fun for me =/
Plan to watch that show soon myself.

Tags
bleach, choosing, dilemma, naruto