AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2009-03-11, 14:37   Link #81
aardvark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oberon View Post
I did a bit of looking around and it just recently clicked with me that Kenichi Yoshida had design artworks for Shangri-La up for ages on his website:

http://gallo44gallery.web.fc2.com/sha01_04.html
http://gallo44gallery.web.fc2.com/sha05_06.html
http://gallo44gallery.web.fc2.com/sha07_08.html
http://gallo44gallery.web.fc2.com/sha09_end.html

Does anyone know the reason why GONZO decided to scrap all that and go with Murata? I like Murata, but IMO there was nothing wrong with Yoshida's designs to begin with and he obviously already put some work into it. Seems like a bit of an idiot move on GONZO's part from my POV, as Yoshida's a pretty established and recognized designer as well. If that's how Gonzo manages their finances as well, I'm not surprised why they're in monetary troubles.
Well, since it is Gonzo, it is a foregone conclusion that they will ruin the source material, whatever it is. So changing the visual design at least helps to seperate it from the novel right from the start.
aardvark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-11, 15:14   Link #82
HammerOrNails
One day...
*Artist

By the way, anybody has actually managed to get their hands on the novel and can give a better idea of plot and setting, beyond the meager crumbs (tokyo-lotsa trees-big tower) already widely known?
HammerOrNails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-11, 15:28   Link #83
kyouray
2D > 3D

Some screenshots are available on the blog. It looks great (thanks to manuloz for the link).
Old 2009-03-11, 15:55   Link #84
DangerMouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by HammerOrNails View Post
Can't wait as well... as mucha s I love Murata I am a tad afraid his style would be a bit too bright and shiny for Shangri-La (which seems to be a quite darker deal in general) but just seeing something new from him after his disappointing latest doujinshi is welcome. If only April'd come faster...
Last Exile got pretty serious so I don't think that will be an issue with Murata's designs if they are adapted well by the animation designer like they were in that show.

What latest doujinshi has he done?
DangerMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-11, 16:04   Link #85
DangerMouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyouray View Post
Some screenshots are available on the blog. It looks great (thanks to manuloz for the link).
Oh freaking yes!!

That image makes the animation adaptation of her character design look SO much better than the first and only previous image we got of the colored design a while ago from Newtype, she looks totally kick ass in finalized animation form, I've got a new potential favorite action heroine if she turns out to be a good character and they're animating her action scenes with dynamic moves like that (I look forwards to seeing the full scene).

I can't wait to see how they do her action scenes since I think it's been quite a while since I've seen a boomerang-ish primary weapon.

They aren't really the same but since I was re-watching a few eps of it recently these acrobatic shots and her pink hair made me think of some of Anita's dynamic fights from Read or Die TV as she was usually the one doing the cool acrobatic moves in that shows fights.

The background art in that 4th image, like the detail of the wall behind her, is pretty awesome too, this actually looks like it might be getting the "showpiece" attention like Last Exile did if the animation is actually going to contain some of the background art we've seen so far on the blog.

Hopefully this is a good sign, it's looking better each time we see more info.

Last edited by DangerMouse; 2009-03-11 at 17:40.
Old 2009-03-11, 17:55   Link #86
Adventury
Rail Tracer

I don't believe these scans have been posted here yet:
Spoiler for Scans:

Source: Manganimation
Adventury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-11, 18:01   Link #87
E_I
Yuri fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adventury View Post
I don't believe these scans have been posted here yet:
Spoiler for Scans:

Source: Manganimation
Nice. The anime designs are not that bad. This show is giving me a big Last Exile feeling.
E_I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-11, 18:16   Link #88
DangerMouse

Ah, the first color look at some of the others, nice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by E_I View Post
Nice. The anime designs are not that bad. This show is giving me a big Last Exile feeling.
Yeah, it's definitely coming through more now with the new coloring work.

Yup, girl on the left certainly reminds me of Alvis' design.
Old 2009-03-12, 00:25   Link #89
Same_Shark

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerMouse View Post
Ah, the first color look at some of the others, nice.

Yeah, it's definitely coming through more now with the new coloring work.

Yup, girl on the left certainly reminds me of Alvis' design.
Looks like there's a Chibi, lady Dio too.
Same_Shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-12, 00:40   Link #90
DangerMouse

Oh yeah she does, heh.

Last edited by DangerMouse; 2009-03-12 at 10:25.
Old 2009-03-13, 11:40   Link #91
DangerMouse

The first in-show screenshot of the Alvis-like girl has been posted on their blog.

Very nice, and again in finalized form very Murata-ish like the Last Exile animation adapted designs, the way her face and hair are drawn could fit nicely in with that show too.

Ishii's doing a nice job so far looking at these stills.

Last edited by DangerMouse; 2009-03-13 at 11:51.
Old 2009-03-13, 11:51   Link #92
Same_Shark

Looks like one of the seiyuu is named Misawa Sachika and it's her debut.
Same_Shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-13, 13:24   Link #93
sa547
*Author

Quote:
Oh freaking yes!!

That image makes the animation adaptation of her character design look SO much better than the first and only previous image we got of the colored design a while ago from Newtype, she looks totally kick ass in finalized animation form, I've got a new potential favorite action heroine if she turns out to be a good character and they're animating her action scenes with dynamic moves like that (I look forwards to seeing the full scene).
If the storyline is properly executed and can entertain well, along with very good character design, Shang could turn Gonzo's luck around this year.

Quote:
I can't wait to see how they do her action scenes since I think it's been quite a while since I've seen a boomerang-ish primary weapon.
Last time I've seen a boomerang as a weapon, it was with one of the characters in Inuyasha -- and that show is one of the least of my favorites.

Quote:
They aren't really the same but since I was re-watching a few eps of it recently these acrobatic shots and her pink hair made me think of some of Anita's dynamic fights from Read or Die TV as she was usually the one doing the cool acrobatic moves in that shows fights.

The background art in that 4th image, like the detail of the wall behind her, is pretty awesome too, this actually looks like it might be getting the "showpiece" attention like Last Exile did if the animation is actually going to contain some of the background art we've seen so far on the blog.

Hopefully this is a good sign, it's looking better each time we see more info.
Let's also hope that Shang's storyline blows off doors more than just great artwork (and polka-dot pantsu) to ogle at. I'm giving this one a chance.
Old 2009-03-13, 16:23   Link #94
DangerMouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa547 View Post
If the storyline is properly executed and can entertain well, along with very good character design, Shang could turn Gonzo's luck around this year.
Yeah, I hope Shangri-La can pull all of the different pieces together. That would certainly be nice, Gonzo could certainly use another classic.

Quote:
Last time I've seen a boomerang as a weapon, it was with one of the characters in Inuyasha -- and that show is one of the least of my favorites.
Ah I forgot about her, right Sango with the giant heavy boomerang, I pretty much hate that show, also she seemed to be at best a sidekick fight-wise from the moment they actually recruited her since I don't remember them really showing off any boomerang moves since Inuyasha got practically all the "wins" in the various episodes I slogged through on CN in between their other shows. Even though it's pretty different that might be the most recent boomerang weapon I guess.

Quote:
Let's also hope that Shang's storyline blows off doors more than just great artwork (and polka-dot pantsu) to ogle at. I'm giving this one a chance.
Yeah, agreed, this is obviously the big key, so I hope it does!

Nice artwork.

Last edited by DangerMouse; 2009-03-13 at 18:32.
Old 2009-03-13, 18:46   Link #95
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

I'm hoping that they keep those undergarment shots to a minimum. If other studios can keep that sort of thing to a minimum and produce a great title then so can Gonzo.
Old 2009-03-13, 18:47   Link #96
qmeister
Tsukkomi power!

Quote:
That it definitely could. I just hope it doesn't turn into a Last Exile fiasco. Then again GONZO's shorter series generally turn out better.

And have we all agreed to shorten it to Shang?
qmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-13, 19:35   Link #97
E_I
Yuri fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by qmeister View Post
That it definitely could. I just hope it doesn't turn into a Last Exile fiasco. Then again GONZO's shorter series generally turn out better.

And have we all agreed to shorten it to Shang?
It's going to be only 12-13 episodes?
E_I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-13, 19:46   Link #98
DangerMouse

That's a weird shorten lol. Don't think I'll shorten it lol

I remember reading it was going to be in the 26-ish range, but I don't think we've gotten an official count, I hope it's going to be 24-26 so they can do something "bigger".

Quote:
Originally Posted by qmeister View Post
No idea what you're talking about lol, I thought Last Exile was excellent and it definitely needed the full 26 episodes for a story of that scale to not be rushed. If you are referring to the ending I'll just say anime endings are pretty subjective and I think the general opinion that I've seen of the rest of the show that's easier to judge is pretty good.
Old 2009-03-13, 21:44   Link #99
qmeister
Tsukkomi power!

^ Oh, it'll be a 2-cour then... My bad.

Last Exile was not bad by far, I just feel a couple of points could have been done better. Then again, it's been quite awhile since I watched it, and I've watched some pretty awesome stuff recently so my memory may be biased. ^_^
qmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-13, 23:25   Link #100
sa547
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by E_I View Post
It's going to be only 12-13 episodes?
I like to call it Shang because Shangri-la is a mouthful, and that's also how (back in the Philippines) we refer to a high-class shopping mall a few blocks away.

Given the breathtaking previews, 26 episodes would more likely to fit its storyline.

Tags
gonzo, science fiction