AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2012-05-04, 05:04   Link #21
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

I'm curious how much of the game they will change in order to make it a "proper" MMO.

Elder Scrolls combat mechanic are about as far away from any current day MMO as you can imagine. They'll have to remove the ability to perma-kill even minor NPC's. Questing will either have to be heavily phased or turned into general MMO-style "little story interaction, just kill stuff" quests.
Keroko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-04, 07:38   Link #22
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

Well the thing about TES and a lot of western style open world RPGs is the dynamic changes the world undergoes with every action that you take. That naturally cannot translate into an MMO which requires a degree of control and linearity to keep the game equal for everyone, something of course you don't expect to see in Tamriel.

How the studio will manage to strike the balance between the dynamic changing world of Tamriel for more than one active, world changing player remains to be seen.
MeoTwister5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-04, 08:16   Link #23
Paranoid Android
Underweight Food Hoarder

Send a message via MSN to Paranoid Android
No, it can directly translate to MMORPG. Rusty Hearts is a storyline-line heavy mmorpg where the world changes based on individual player. The town NPC's are not what other players see unless they finished the quests as well.

Like if there was a D2 server, those who rescued Deccard Cain would see him, those who haven't won't see him. Same with bosses, those not involved will not see the boss. Guild Wars 2 does the same. I think guild wars 2 also makes players engaged in a one-time-boss-fight also disappear. I remember trying to kill the first Norn boss (Ice Wurm) a second time but when I go there, there's no ice wurm and there's only a few players standing around doing nothing.

In dungeons, the mobs that spawn are based on the quest line of the party leader. So it may be possible to fight a boss that is only suppose to be fought once, several times, because you joined others and that they were going through that phase of the story line. The game is fantastic in dynamic story telling mechanics (but it wasn't open world and it's still in beta).
Paranoid Android is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-04, 08:22   Link #24
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Experience has shown though that MMO players on the mainstream market hate relevant permanent consequences. So perma-killing NPC's, whether it's phased or not, won't make it into the final version. TOR tried that with their companions, but they took out the ability for your crew to leave or you to kill them out of the game due to complaints.
Old 2012-05-04, 08:25   Link #25
Aqua Knight

100 % bad idea.

What would be good about a TES MMO?
Combat? No.
Graphics? Don't make me laugh.
Story? The same thing.

I just don't understand ZeniMax.. They should have at least looked at TOR progress over year to make a decision.
Old 2012-05-04, 08:36   Link #26
Xacual

Is it possible we might see a niche market, player driven game like SWG again? I could see TES adapted to a system like that pretty well, of course even saying that myself I know how utterly unlikely it is.

I was influenced by a certain group overflowing with madness and started trying to write a story. Please give it a try. Crashed into Fantasy
Xacual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-04, 10:13   Link #27
Fahd
* >/dev/null

<-- Ignorant MMO gamer here, so forgive my naive questions:

How exactly would this work? Resettable misc quests would be easy, but how would quest lines work? Gather a group of friends and start a quest-line together? Which one of you gets to be the guild boss/saviour/whatever at the end of that quest line? Or would you just exclude that part...?

I kinda have an aversion to paying monthly for games, so I'm probably going to avoid this, but it'll be interesting to see how it competes with Guild Wars 2 & World of Warcraft...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallen Chaos Valiant View Post
In an MMO, you are just an adventurer. In TES, you are the Hero hero's sidekick.
Fixed for Oblivion
Fahd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-04, 10:29   Link #28
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fahd View Post
Fixed for Oblivion
Technically the Oblivion expansion covered that. Being made a Daedric Prince sort of evened things up a bit. And again, it's something MMOs can't offer.
Old 2012-05-04, 10:39   Link #29
-Sho-
~Omedetô~

Well like i thought , take TESO as a game apart from TES series , the gameplay will remain like the MMORPG these days but with Firor behind i think it'll be like the old MMORPG glory days specially DAOC the revolutionary & the best of all times. I have faith on them.
I'm ok as long as the quality is here & Bethesda won't drop TES series after TESO releases...
-Sho- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-04, 11:34   Link #30
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

According to Kotaku, you can't own houses because it is too hard to implement.
http://www.kotaku.com.au/2012/05/fir...r-fantasy-mmo/
It also is NOT sandbox. Your level determines where you are allowed to go. And NPCs don't have schedules so they just stay where they are forever. You also don't have real time combat.

In short, it is a repackaged WoW clone with the TES name slapped on. Have fun!
Old 2012-05-04, 11:53   Link #31
-Sho-
~Omedetô~

Ok i look the artworks , wow , that was average... well , let's wait E3 2012...
I feel the same mistake as Warhammer online did... EA -> moneys... Bethesda want it too ? ouch... if yes , what a let down....
Guess i have to wait more years to find back the glory days.... well GW2 is ok for the moment.
-Sho- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-04, 12:05   Link #32
Paranoid Android
Underweight Food Hoarder

Send a message via MSN to Paranoid Android
Lol wtf they took all the worst elements you can have and removed the good qualities that TES did have. Public dungeons? Public dungeons are the worst with all the ksing and mob camping. Instance was the solution to that. Now they're going backwards.

Yeah it sounds like Bethesda just want to fish money from idiots without actually trying to be a pioneer in new mmorpg.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiero
May 4, 2012 at 11:28 PM

Hello Kitty Online let you have a house. Booo
^ Lol
Paranoid Android is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-04, 12:25   Link #33
NorthernFallout
The Interstellar Medium
*Author

They also included "WoW-style combat", i.e, buttonmashing with CD, according to... Eurogamer, was it? Or maybe it was Kotaku.

So yea. It's just trying to cash in as everything else. Disappointment.

NorthernFallout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-04, 13:10   Link #34
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Maybe they will go the Star Wars: Old Republic route. Were for the most part, you are the hero. You don't require other player interactions most of the time. But you can have them if you want them.

Then I assume for TES at the end you'd have hundreds of people running around taking homes, swapping wifes, and burning fortresses.
Old 2012-05-04, 14:19   Link #35
GDB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paranoid Android View Post
Lol wtf they took all the worst elements you can have and removed the good qualities that TES did have. Public dungeons? Public dungeons are the worst with all the ksing and mob camping. Instance was the solution to that. Now they're going backwards.
Yeah, seriously. I remember that crap from Everquest 10+ years ago. It was horrible. Even moreso when you had to do raids on public bosses.

However, it seems to be bringing in the territory stuff from DAoC, which was the best part of that game.
GDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-04, 15:39   Link #36
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Send a message via AIM to synaesthetic
Let's see if this even makes it out of beta before flopping. Maybe it'll be the next Tabula Rasa, crashing and burning within a week or so of release.

I can't see real TES fans being interested in this. People like TES for the exploration, for the wide-open sandbox and for the story.

Like I said originally, fucking devs need to stop reusing existing IPs for MMOs and just make new ones. If your franchise was heavily single-player (or a movie series) how do you think the fans are going to care when you change everything to rip off WoW?

Why is only Korea making original, from-scratch MMOs?
Old 2012-05-04, 16:28   Link #37
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author

Here, have a screenshot.

Doesn't look bad. Graphics are lower, of course, because we can't have nice-looking MMOs, but it looks okay, at least.
Old 2012-05-04, 16:32   Link #38
Aqua Knight

To be honest, this totally sucks.
Old 2012-05-04, 16:59   Link #39
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rising Dragon View Post
Doesn't look bad. Graphics are lower, of course, because we can't have nice-looking MMOs, but it looks okay, at least.
That, and early screenshots rarely represent the final product.

But since the rest sounds completely uninteresting as well, no reason to wait.
Old 2012-05-04, 17:09   Link #40
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paranoid Android View Post
^ Lol
Didn't Ultma Online, the very first true MMORPG, have player owned houses? So it does seem we are going backwards.