AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2012-09-22, 03:15   Link #3561
Sagi

But I still keep buying games that I haven't even opened yet.
Persona 4 arena, Sleeping Dogs
, Tekken Tag tournament 2 and The Last Story just to name a few.
Sagi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-22, 17:02   Link #3562
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
Well, it would be absurd to see the game as any form of an income but it's still nice to get your money back as a bonus.

That being said, the AH isn't the culprit (people would trade with one another anyways, and use third party websites-- they still do), it's the drop rates being focused around the AH that is the problem. If the AH didn't exist but we still had the boring itemization and poor drop rates, the game would be complete trash as we had when act 1 inferno could only drop 61s and act 2 could only drop 62s. Taking on pre-patch act 2 with ilvl 61 weapons and enrage timers = wiping one's ass with sandpaper. It wasn't impossible, but it took a lot of grinding and an AH that was tainted by people exploiting into act 3 to get vendor shiz.

1.03 addressed it partially, but fucked up in other areas making it an even worse piece of trash. (lol repair costs)

As of 1.04 you actually can find your own items to beat inferno; still takes a long time but it's not as ridiclous as the previous situation I described before, so it's getting better now. We went from 62s only dropping in act 2+ to 62s being able to appear as early as Act 3 of hell. In addition 1.04 61 and 62 weapons are actually usable now, so that makes the situation entirely reasonable.

Avatar/Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Archon_Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-23, 03:31   Link #3563
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

I am still apprehensive of clicking the Diablo 3 button...

Seriously, last week I opened the game for the first time in weeks, and made it as far as the character screen. But then all the bad memories of wasted time with no reward flood back and I just closed it again.

I know that they promised the game will no longer punish me for playing, but can I trust them? Do Blizzard's words MEAN anything?
Old 2012-09-23, 06:46   Link #3564
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archon_Wing View Post
That being said, the AH isn't the culprit (people would trade with one another anyways, and use third party websites-- they still do).
Then get rid of trading. Or rather get rid of trading actual items; maybe switch it to something like what PoE uses as currency (items to add slots, re-roll stats, re-roll rarity, re-roll-just-about-anything, etc). Of course they can't since with the whole RMAH they've kind of dug themselves a nice big hole, but yeah my thoughts are your thoughts: they were stupid enough to balance the game against the auction house instead of the auction house against the game and now hence our (statistically) inevitable disappointment. It's not like the rest of the game is bad, but this ONE thing just breaks so so much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archon_Wing View Post
As of 1.04 you actually can find your own items to beat inferno; still takes a long time but it's not as ridiclous as the previous situation I described before, so it's getting better now. We went from 62s only dropping in act 2+ to 62s being able to appear as early as Act 3 of hell. In addition 1.04 61 and 62 weapons are actually usable now, so that makes the situation entirely reasonable.
I wanna get back to it but it's kind of annoying playing with self-imposed-handicaps (to avoid game imposed stupidity). The fact you can't turn the shitty story off is a downer too. There's not that many scripted events, but when you go over them again and again they grind at your sanity and fun. Also, I feel like the maps and progression is way too "story driven". I mean I understand you have to have an objective, but it's like even if I walk 2m it's because some quest dictated I walk 2m. I can't for example just go though the frikin' desert for the sake of going though the frikin' desert, it has to be because of some stupid illusion nonsense. This seems to have also lead to a lot less of "I'm going to go into this really big hole/tower/dimention/etc and going to find treasure! Mwa ha ha!" moments (like the various long labyrinth caves, or towers in D2).

Also. I like some parts of the D3 map randomization, such as how events are shifted around or you can have an open cellar one time, but a closed cellar the next time, or something else completely after that. But, it all just plain looks the same. They screwed up bigtime by not making the towns rotatable. Meaning, you kind of get the same map, but because you're moving in a completely different direction it looks semi-fresh and messes with your spacial awareness. Moving something 10m to the left or right on the other hand doesn't really do that. I know magda's stupid vagina cave is to the north-west each and every damn time; which is boring.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallen Chaos Valiant
I am still apprehensive of clicking the Diablo 3 button...

Seriously, last week I opened the game for the first time in weeks, and made it as far as the character screen. But then all the bad memories of wasted time with no reward flood back and I just closed it again.
Well I clicked it a few weeks back (I think) and it was something like: Kill stuff, Hear annoying companion bable, Wait for stupid (not-so-random-after-100-times-seeing-it) slowass scripted event, Close game after 10-15min, from lack of any sort of interest while playing.

It's also kind of hard to click the D3 button when it's right next to the Emperor, Magic, PoE and Dota2 buttons too, all games that aren't all like "just do this pointless gold farming... you'll win! you want to `win` right? c'mon you know you want to win! it's just 36h of gold/gob farming! look, that's how all the `pros` are doing it!". And then there's games like Hawken coming to open beta soon, and Planetside 2 on the MMO side, all of which sound way more interesting PvP wise.
Old 2012-09-23, 06:51   Link #3565
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by felix View Post
It's also kind of hard to click the D3 button when it's right next to the Emperor, Magic, PoE and Dota2 buttons too, all games that aren't all like "just do this pointless gold farming... you'll win! you want to `win` right? c'mon you know you want to win! it's just 36h of gold/gob farming! look, that's how all the `pros` are doing it!". And then there's games like Hawken coming to open beta soon, and Planetside 2 on the MMO side, all of which sound way more interesting PvP wise.
You nailed it.

IMO, the biggest change from DII to DIII is how I get my good drops. In DII it was about killing hard bosses. In DIII it is about counting pennies and trying to save up enough cash for the auction house.

There are people in China who get paid a salary to gold farm. I just don't think they should build a game around it.

To be fair, Blizzard seem to be trying to fix it. But I am just afraid of going back in because of past disappointments. I am literally choosing to breed faster chocobos in FF7 over playing DIII right now.
Old 2012-09-23, 10:03   Link #3566
Myssa Rei
Moderate Haruhiist

Send a message via ICQ to Myssa Rei Send a message via Yahoo to Myssa Rei
Valen, things ARE a whole lot better. These days I only die when I lag or otherwise do something stupid (just ask Archon Wing about our dual-monk Siegebreaker runs, LOL), but take note this is in ACT III. Prior to the two patches, it wasn't even possible to GET that far.

That said, for those who jumped ship, it's far too little too late, but hey, at least they're doing something now.
Old 2012-09-23, 18:49   Link #3567
Khu
そんなやさしくしないで。。。

I jumped once I had finished off my 1st Wizard playthrough on Normal.

I was like "Well, this was fun."

"Do I really want to go through this again...?"

"....Naaaaaah."
Khu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-23, 19:02   Link #3568
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Quote:
I wanna get back to it but it's kind of annoying playing with self-imposed-handicaps (to avoid game imposed stupidity). The fact you can't turn the shitty story off is a downer too. There's not that many scripted events, but when you go over them again and again they grind at your sanity and fun. Also, I feel like the maps and progression is way too "story driven". I mean I understand you have to have an objective, but it's like even if I walk 2m it's because some quest dictated I walk 2m. I can't for example just go though the frikin' desert for the sake of going though the frikin' desert, it has to be because of some stupid illusion nonsense. This seems to have also lead to a lot less of "I'm going to go into this really big hole/tower/dimention/etc and going to find treasure! Mwa ha ha!" moments (like the various long labyrinth caves, or towers in D2).
Yea, it's annoying to run an act and deal with the same stupid bad voice acting for the 50th time. And it disrupts the game too. IMO, there needs to be a free roam mode that gets unlocked once you beat normal. Basically, you can visit any area you've cleared before and not have to deal with interruptions as well as fight previous bosses

Quote:
Also. I like some parts of the D3 map randomization, such as how events are shifted around or you can have an open cellar one time, but a closed cellar the next time, or something else completely after that. But, it all just plain looks the same. They screwed up bigtime by not making the towns rotatable. Meaning, you kind of get the same map, but because you're moving in a completely different direction it looks semi-fresh and messes with your spacial awareness. Moving something 10m to the left or right on the other hand doesn't really do that. I know magda's stupid vagina cave is to the north-west each and every damn time; which is boring.
I guess they do have too many unrandomized ones
Quote:
Well I clicked it a few weeks back (I think) and it was something like: Kill stuff, Hear annoying companion bable, Wait for stupid (not-so-random-after-100-times-seeing-it) slowass scripted event, Close game after 10-15min, from lack of any sort of interest while playing.
They actually did make followers babble on less.
Quote:
IMO, 1.04 is good and so will 1.05. Unfortunately it's just inferior to other choices atm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallen Chaos Valiant View Post
You nailed it.

IMO, the biggest change from DII to DIII is how I get my good drops. In DII it was about killing hard bosses. In DIII it is about counting pennies and trying to save up enough cash for the auction house.

There are people in China who get paid a salary to gold farm. I just don't think they should build a game around it.

To be fair, Blizzard seem to be trying to fix it. But I am just afraid of going back in because of past disappointments. I am literally choosing to breed faster chocobos in FF7 over playing DIII right now.
The game really should have been released in September. 1.05 was what the game should have been like at release, not whatever untested trash they put out on sale.

And that's the sad part. Most of my friends will not care about improvements in D3, because the first impression just ruined it. Too little too late.

Still... I think the risk vs reward ratio is a lot better. The progression curve for 1.04 is reasonable, though some effort must be made in tuning builds and skill. Being unable to clear 1.04 inferno is a problem with the player, not the game. Though some elite combos are still stupid.

On another note...

They should also fix hardcore and make the leave timer for both softcore/hardcore to 2 seconds like it was in D2. Sure, sure people may cheat and exploit it, but it's better than having a mode that's not viable unless you live close to the server. Due to the online only requirement, they just have to adjust for it, and accept as part of the game. Currently, hardcore is just playing until you inevitably rubberband and die.

And honestly, who cares if some people "abuse" the disconnects in a game like Diablo? It's not supposed to be competitive. People still died in d2 tons even with the ability to leave a game. But then again in single player the game also didn't randomly shit on you because of the connection.

MyAnimeList || Reviews
Old 2012-09-23, 19:02   Link #3569
Wigwams

Quote:
start the game using the last act quest, and go exploring the starting areas of the act. problem solved. though you will still occasionally find out of place scripts like azmodan boasting about the ravening beast when he's already dead.
Old 2012-09-24, 12:04   Link #3570
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Doesn't work for HC runs. No unlocks when you die.
Old 2012-09-24, 12:09   Link #3571
Waven
Itadaki-nyaaa !!

You can disable voice sound, which is a blessing. Still have to spacebar through conversation text though.
Waven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-24, 12:12   Link #3572
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Thanks for the tip.
Old 2012-09-24, 22:12   Link #3573
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Well, lost my first hc character because the game crashed on me. It was only a 35 demon hunter; good thing I went on her instead of my Wizard, but it still sucks since i spent a bit of gold upgrading gear.

RIP I guess. It's been fun, but I think that's it for me for a long while.

MyAnimeList || Reviews
Old 2012-09-25, 11:15   Link #3574
halibonga

something i ve noticed for patch 1.0.5: item's quality will be determined by level of the monster who dropped them, if thats true then it d horrible news for someone like me who can only farm in act 1...
halibonga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-25, 12:13   Link #3575
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

You won't just be able to farm in act 1 by the new patch though.

MyAnimeList || Reviews
Old 2012-09-25, 18:20   Link #3576
Myssa Rei
Moderate Haruhiist

Indeed, the previous patch already made it viable to go to later Acts. Well, not act 3 anyway, but Act 2 SHOULD have been viable for people who can do Act 1.

Anyway, my schedule should be free enough again for a session on Thursday evening (SE Asia) so... Who's up for Act 3? North America server obviously.

Last edited by Myssa Rei; 2012-09-25 at 18:31.
Myssa Rei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-25, 21:44   Link #3577
Wigwams

Quote:
Originally Posted by halibonga View Post
something i ve noticed for patch 1.0.5: item's quality will be determined by level of the monster who dropped them, if thats true then it d horrible news for someone like me who can only farm in act 1...
Quote:
On the PTR currently, an item's level will determine its base DPS and armor stats, and the monster's level will determine the level of the affixes that roll on the item. There is an exception to this, though:

If an item's level is higher than the monster's level, the affixes will roll at the item's level instead. We felt this was an important exception to make, because players farming Act I of Inferno without any Monster Power may still get ilevel 62 and 63 items from sub-63 monsters, and we want to make sure that those items are still good.
so its all good for non act 3 farmers. blizz got your back.
anyway
Quote:
The current difficulty in 1.0.4 is roughly equivalent to Monster Power 2 or Monster Power 3 in 1.0.5. (Monster Power 0 is just the setting the game will default to when you first log in.)
Quote:
Monster Power is considered "on" once you bump it up to Monster Power 1, at which point all monsters in Inferno become level 63. "No Monster Power" means that the system is technically "off," so monster levels will remain the same and you won't get any of the scaling XP/GF/MF boosts.
you can probably set it to MP1, and farm act 1 since the mobs there are less annoying. but bear in mind since the monster lvl goes to lvl 63, your armor and resistances are a bit lower compared to fighting normal act 1 mobs which are lvl 61.
Old 2012-10-02, 19:45   Link #3578
Myssa Rei
Moderate Haruhiist

Following some of the changes from 1.05 as of the PTR test, and I'm noticing that they're lowering ability procs for Wizard spells yet AGAIN. If they don't like us doing Critical Builds, just say so, damnit.

That said, I'm liking some of the (red-shaded) DH changes, oh yes.
Old 2012-10-03, 13:37   Link #3579
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

The 50% to 25% change?
Old 2012-10-03, 13:50   Link #3580
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

You shouldn't bother with MP unless you can already do act 3.

Mp2/3 = 1.04 only applies to act 3 because MP would increase monsters to 63 in act 1 and act 2. My wizard that has it fairly easy in Act 1 1.04 took forever to kill some white mobs in MP1 Act 1. :S

Also, meteor is as crappy as ever. >.>

It's also at this point I realize that the Blizzard spell is a buff with the less arcane cost, even if Snowbound doesn't change (still reduce to 20 AP). That's because Snowbound isn't really that great if you're using Blizzard to begin with-- it's not even spammable; the increase range rune can get more damage done because inferno enemies will get out of the small blizzards anyways. And the large area will benefit from the CC buffs we will get.

MyAnimeList || Reviews

Last edited by Archon_Wing; 2012-10-03 at 14:12.

Tags
arpg, blizzard, dungeon crawler