AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > Sports & Entertainment

Notices

Old 2012-09-26, 20:56   Link #5381
GDB

Quote:
Originally Posted by sky black swordman View Post
Last week IMO it was Matt from the Texans and DHB from the Raiders.
There's no "opinion" to be had here. One lost part of his ear, and the other had to be carted off to the hospital and kept overnight.
GDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-26, 23:03   Link #5382
Dilla
'Sup Ballers

It's official.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/84...nt-end-lockout

Now we can bitch about the regular refs again! Feels good, man.

A regular crew will report to the Thursday Night Game.
Dilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-27, 04:06   Link #5383
sky black swordman

^ Yeah .

Really? Thursday Night Game?
I thought they were coming back during thsi weekend games.
Old 2012-09-27, 04:10   Link #5384
Kyuu
=^^=

Quote:
Originally Posted by sky black swordman View Post
^ Yeah .

Really? Thursday Night Game?
I thought they were coming back during thsi weekend games.
Thursday games count for the current week. So, the refs. are back for Week 4 -- that includes the Thursday games.
Kyuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-27, 05:45   Link #5385
GDB

And it would be beyond unfair for tonight's game to have to deal with replacements while everyone else got the real ones.
Old 2012-09-27, 09:02   Link #5386
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

On the MSNBC Morning Joe show, they reported that the actual cost to each team would average about $100,000! If anything this whole debacle shows how far wealthy Americans will go anything to break unions. Toss in the hypocrisy of Wisconsin governor Scott Walker throwing his support behind the union refs after his crusade to destroy public employees unions. Of course, in Wisconsin, nothing is more important than those Packers, even education and public safety.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-27, 21:24   Link #5387
FDW
Zettai Ryouiki Lover

Review Tiem!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FDW View Post
And now for this weeks crap…

NYG @ CAR: Tossup (Look at all those flying testicles…)
And Robocop finally started to malfunction…

Quote:
STL @ CHI: Chicago (The Rams aren't that good, even if they aren't horrible)
About right.

Quote:
BUF @ CLE: Buffalo (Messier than it has to be)
Ditto.

Quote:
TB @ DAL: Tampa Bay (Last second bull-rush from coach Jackass FTW)
Well, I was wrong on everything here!

Quote:
NYJ @ MIA: Tossup (Watch this yayfest for 20 dollars and a barf bag!)
How long til Tim Tebow?

Quote:
SF @ MIN: San Francisco (The only thing that needs to be answered is how badly The Niners will beat The Vikings)
If this game says anything about The Niners, it's that their air game can't carry the rest of team yet, and that Mario Manningham integrating himself into the passing game way faster than I expected. (The absence of Randy Moss so far was something to be expected, given the time it takes for Alex to get in with his Receivers. I'd argue that Harbaugh intentionally brought Moss on board to be the threat of Randy Moss, if not the actual Randy Moss so as to open up plays. And I'd bet that Moss agreed to that role if it meant finally getting his ring and forever one-upping Terrell Owens.)

Quote:
KC @ NO: New Orleans (Because there's so far a team as talented as the Saints are can fall before hitting rock bottom. Kansas City on the other hand…)
I stand corrected!

Quote:
CIN @ WSH: Washington (RGIII is SuperQuarterback, Andy Dalton has epic shounen hair, there's no contest here)
RGIII may be ham, but The Bengals finally figure how to troll… someone else!

Quote:
DET @ TEN: Detroit (Fuck this game…)
I hear this was kinda good…

Quote:
JAX @ IND: Jacksonville (Stop #3 on the Andrew Luck Humiliation Conga Express)
And B-Gabby FTW!

Quote:
PHI @ ARI: Tossup (Oh, this'll be cartoonish…)
One of Dragonforces songs would make a good theme for The Cards, and this game is so incredibly ironic.

Quote:
ATL @ SD: Atlanta (I don't care, I don't give a fuck because whatever)
sgnk.

Quote:
HOU @ DEN: Houston (Houston's D make's it rain at Mile High)
Wow, that was good.

Quote:
PIT @ OAK: Oakland (Insane? Certainly, but I raise you Carson Palmer's 600 yards in two games and a penalty rate half that of last years)
Damn, that was intense! But the Raiders have always had that flair for the dramatic. I find their games more fun to watch than Niners games.

Quote:
NE @ BAL: Baltimore (Because it's time for Joe Flacco to join the elite club)
Panic in Foxbourough and vinidication!

Quote:
GB @ SEA: Green Bay (Seattle has no WR's)
FFFFAAAAAAAIIILLLL MMMMAARRRRYYYY!!!!!!

Now for the fun part, WEEK 4!

CLE @ BAL: Baltimore (The Fail fail at existing)

CAR @ ATL: Atlanta (Robocop is steamrolled by ATL)

NE @ BUF: Buffalo (You see that? That's Pats fans having an aneurysm)

MIN @ DET: Detroit (Watch the Decepticons pick up their second win)

SD @ KC: Tossup (Watch the Wild Wild West beat the shit out of each other! It's craptacular)

SEA @ STL: St. Louis (Watch as the epitome of failure trolls the master troll trollingly)

SF @ NYJ: San Francisco (Brandon Jacobs has arrived! Watch the Niners run game go from awesome to god-tier! And they'll never have to worry about 3rd down ever again!)

TEN @ HOU: Texans (Moo-cows continue their rampage through the AFC)

CIN @ JAX: Cincinnati (Sure, B-Gabby's emergin', but The Bengals have arrived!)

MIA @ ARI: Arizona (Watch a franchise with no pride humiliate a once proud franchise)

OAK @ DEN: Tossup (This game comes down to one damn thing, The Raiders offense vs. The Broncos defense)

NO @ GB: Tossup (Now, who wants that No.1 pick more?)

WSH @ TB: Washington (Not even coach Jackass's last second bull rush can beat SuperQuarterback!)

NYG @ PHI: New York Giants (Yeah, The Eagles are gonna start sucking now)

Last edited by FDW; 2012-09-27 at 21:48.
FDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-27, 23:29   Link #5388
monir
cho~ kakkoii

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
My understanding is that it has less to do with current compensation and more to do with retirement funds. All the other leagues converted their referees' pension plans from the traditional system where there are guaranteed returns to a "401K" stock plan where the refs pensions are put into mutual funds that move with the market. As someone who has both, and who watched his 401K halve in value during the 2008 market crash, I can understand why the referees would prefer a traditional pension system.
Can't blame these guys. And I share your pain as I've also seen my portofolio shrink drastically. Either way, it was hilarious when the refs got a standing ovation from the stands when they took the field.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
On the MSNBC Morning Joe show, they reported that the actual cost to each team would average about $100,000! If anything this whole debacle shows how far wealthy Americans will go anything to break unions. Toss in the hypocrisy of Wisconsin governor Scott Walker throwing his support behind the union refs after his crusade to destroy public employees unions. Of course, in Wisconsin, nothing is more important than those Packers, even education and public safety.
Good old Mr. Walker. I saw Paul Ryan's take on it too, and he was equally enlightening.
monir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-28, 02:17   Link #5389
Samari
World's Greatest

Ravens win of course. Officials were good. Glad they are back.

"Every light must fade, every heart return to darkness!"
永遠不要失去信心,你的命運。
Samari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-29, 01:26   Link #5390
Kyuu
=^^=

Now, this is interesting.

http://www.american-football-japan.c...ue2012-eng.htm

EDIT:

Quote:
L.A. City Council approves plan
http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/nfl/s...wn-nfl-stadium

And snap.

Y'know. Instead of having a team move to L.A. -- why not have an expansion team instead? A team to call their own -- so that -- I don't know. There becomes less pressure in the future for said team to move out of L.A. The city lacks a true NFL history because a team is not rooted there... like say Chicago, Green Bay, or New York, etc.

Last edited by Kyuu; 2012-09-29 at 02:46.
Old 2012-09-29, 03:52   Link #5391
FDW
Zettai Ryouiki Lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyuu View Post
http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/nfl/s...wn-nfl-stadium

And snap.

Y'know. Instead of having a team move to L.A. -- why not have an expansion team instead? A team to call their own -- so that -- I don't know. There becomes less pressure in the future for said team to move out of L.A. The city lacks a true NFL history because a team is not rooted there... like say Chicago, Green Bay, or New York, etc.
I remember that there were some documents leaking a few months ago about the NFL in Los Angeles, and they said that the NFL wanted to move one existing team (probably The Chargers) and have one expansion team play in Los Angeles, in the same stadium. While I think that two teams will end up in LA, one of them will be in the other stadium being planned for the region. (It's kind of along the same lines I think The Raiders will end up moving across the bay to San Francisco.)

And I'd say that given The Rams played for almost half a century in LA, they had managed to integrate themselves just fine into the are before they left. (And technically, The LA Rams from 1950 onwards was a result of the merger of the pre-1950 LA Rams and the AAFC Los Angeles Dons, which did start out in LA)

Last edited by FDW; 2012-09-29 at 04:03.
Old 2012-09-29, 04:16   Link #5392
Samari
World's Greatest

Quote:
Because the divisions, scheduling, and playoff format would be screwed over yet again. Honestly, 32 teams is enough. We have a system that is easy enough for fans to understand. You play your division, another division in your conference (going through all three every three years), and the winners of the other two division winners within your conference every year plus one division from the other conference (going through four every four years). Personally I like it this way. I know business is business, but hopefully a team ends up moving to Los Angeles (which I don't think will happen for a long time) as long as it isn't the 49ers of course.

"Every light must fade, every heart return to darkness!"
永遠不要失去信心,你的命運。
Samari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-29, 11:28   Link #5393
GDB

Quote:
Because you'd have to completely dismantle the way the current system works. 32 teams. 2 conferences with 16 teams each. 16 games. 4 divisions per conference, 4 teams per conference.

Really, the only way you wouldn't be tearing down the entire system is to bring in 8 new teams, to either give each conference a new division, or each division a new team.
Old 2012-09-29, 18:47   Link #5394
Kyuu
=^^=

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDB View Post
Because you'd have to completely dismantle the way the current system works. 32 teams. 2 conferences with 16 teams each. 16 games. 4 divisions per conference, 4 teams per conference.

Really, the only way you wouldn't be tearing down the entire system is to bring in 8 new teams, to either give each conference a new division, or each division a new team.
Remember. There used to be 3 divisions per conference. And for each conference: one of the divisions had one less than the other two. If they can work it out then, they can work it out again.
Old 2012-09-29, 19:12   Link #5395
GDB

Just because they did something before doesn't mean it'd be a good idea to break a perfectly good system just to get more teams. Especially when there are so many cities that only barely sustain the teams they have now.
Old 2012-09-29, 21:04   Link #5396
Dilla
'Sup Ballers

There is a such thing as over-saturation and more teams would be that for the NFL.

Why try to change something that has as perfect a setup that the NFL has right now?

Back when the NFL had 3 divisions per conference, there was clear room to grow with some untapped major markets. Now, all they have is LA, which could simply get the Jaguars and have them swap with another team (Chiefs, Rams to the AFC South) to make it fit logistically.
Old 2012-09-29, 22:38   Link #5397
FDW
Zettai Ryouiki Lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dilla View Post
There is a such thing as over-saturation and more teams would be that for the NFL.

Why try to change something that has as perfect a setup that the NFL has right now?

Back when the NFL had 3 divisions per conference, there was clear room to grow with some untapped major markets. Now, all they have is LA, which could simply get the Jaguars and have them swap with another team (Chiefs, Rams to the AFC South) to make it fit logistically.
LA isn't the only untapped market out there. I'd say there's about another half-dozen markets in the US that could support an NFL team.
Old 2012-09-29, 22:46   Link #5398
Dilla
'Sup Ballers

The NFL has no other interest outside of LA in the US. Goddell is talking about going international after LA, which even more ridiculous unless is something near the border in Canada, like Toronto or Vancouver.

And oversaturation would still be a problem, not every one million+ residence metropolitan area needs a NFL team just cuz.
Old 2012-09-29, 23:10   Link #5399
FDW
Zettai Ryouiki Lover

Quote:
The NFL has no other interest outside of LA in the US. Goddell is talking about going international after LA, which even more ridiculous unless is something near the border in Canada, like Toronto or Vancouver.

And oversaturation would still be a problem, not every one million+ residence metropolitan area needs a NFL team just cuz.
I really don't over saturation is a problem, if anything (because of lack of a true minor league outside of college) pro football is a little undersaturated. And I'm not arguing for every million+ area, just for expansion to 40 teams.
Old 2012-09-29, 23:33   Link #5400
Kyuu
=^^=

Quote:
Do me a favor and count the number of Division I football teams.

Tags
american football, sports