AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2010-12-31, 18:13   Link #221
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

@ Kaioshin, I'm aware of Munto's roots, note that I referred to it in both names in my post. That doesn't change my point that "we got a action series".

On a unrelated amusing note, I wonder if there was anyone so damn blind to not notice the obvious "hints" in it. *coughanimationcough*
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrw View Post
they dont have to make full action series like most of shonen. action/cross slice of life will do.

kyoani it self already make "unusual" slice of life like haruhi and clannad.

whether they will continue usual slice of life or change to unusual one is the question.
Unfortunetly that's a another "problem". Is there a light novel or popular manga with that context? Well then they would have to create a "original" story, which I would say is a pretty bad idea...
Old 2010-12-31, 18:32   Link #222
RRW
Unspecified
*Scanlator

Quote:
Originally Posted by felix View Post
Unfortunetly that's a another "problem". Is there a light novel or popular manga with that context? Well then they would have to create a "original" story, which I would say is a pretty bad idea...
many

let start with little buster

lying mii kun broken maa chan (correct me if i wrong)

sugar dark

list can goes on (that what i think out of my head)

it actually not hard to find really. j c staff already adapt many of them, why kyoani cant

Old 2010-12-31, 19:04   Link #223
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Hm, you might be right. The only reason I can think of is that it doesn't fit their style. I don't mean the show formula here, but rather the show style and choreography. Some manga for example are very "static" as far as the motion you can see in the panels go. I once heard KyoAni is a kind of "do it for the love of it" studio; assuming that hearsay holds any water it may be they are just not into those kind of shows. You also have to consider that there's probably a lot more to it then it seems -- why haven't other studios picked them up if they are so great? (rhetorical)

Now on the bright side, I'm not sure you can say there's no chance right now for them to pick those shows either. I'm (kind of) expecting Nichijou to be... um, different (to some extent) and thereby break the ice and bad gossip that surrounds the studio. If that happens they should be able to move easier to "other" kind of shows as it were. True, it's not exactly a action anime as you want, but it doesn't sound like it's a otaku anime, or a normal school life anime either. (please correct me if I'm wrong)
Old 2010-12-31, 19:43   Link #224
RRW
Unspecified
*Scanlator

Quote:
Hm, you might be right. The only reason I can think of is that it doesn't fit their style. I don't mean the show formula here, but rather the show style and choreography. Some manga for example are very "static" as far as the motion you can see in the panels go. I once heard KyoAni is a kind of "do it for the love of it" studio; assuming that hearsay holds any water it may be they are just not into those kind of shows. You also have to consider that there's probably a lot more to it then it seems -- why haven't other studios picked them up if they are so great? (rhetorical)

Now on the bright side, I'm not sure you can say there's no chance right now for them to pick those shows either. I'm (kind of) expecting Nichijou to be... um, different (to some extent) and thereby break the ice and bad gossip that surrounds the studio. If that happens they should be able to move easier to "other" kind of shows as it were. True, it's not exactly a action anime as you want, but it doesn't sound like it's a otaku anime, or a normal school life anime either. (please correct me if I'm wrong)

well obviously is because studio has yet to seen it or they dont have time to animate it. there are thousand of thousand of LN, VN and manga out there. and about everyday they make new one. literally there is no limit. it simply matter of time that they make anime of it (if they good and worth it)

any way Nichijou is... um, different (to some extent) type of slice of life. which probably is make much more sense if they been animate by shaft consider they style (doesn't mean other studio cannot do)

but either yes it is less generic compare k on. but still not that quite different (it still all girl group talking about everyday life)

they must make great change between generic slice of life to "unussual" slice of life. they make haruhi before why not know.

so far they 2011 line up is slice of life (k-on movie, Nichijou) which make me think if they continue they tradition as generic slice of life maker and not making serious anime again

Old 2010-12-31, 20:01   Link #225
Tempester
Japanese Culture Fan

Quote:
so far they 2011 line up is slice of life (k-on movie, Nichijou) which make me think if they continue they tradition as generic slice of life maker and not making serious anime again
As I said earlier, don't worry too much about this. Give KyoAni time and they will most likely put out the more "serious" anime that the vocal minority demands. Given KyoAni's previous track record and how they tend to focus on certain types of series at a time, we can't judge them at the moment. As for more "serious" anime, there are a total of 4(!) Noitamina series airing in the upcoming winter and spring seasons so you'll get a good share of that.
Old 2010-12-31, 20:11   Link #226
RRW
Unspecified
*Scanlator

^ i know, consider they work cycle there is high chance that they animate little buster at 2012.

but still this year probably first time where they focus slice of life for a whole year really (there is little chance they will announced another title for 2011).

i just simply afraid that they simply continue making these consider cash cow franchise.

Old 2010-12-31, 23:23   Link #227
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westlo View Post
Did you get that information from the same place that told you Break Blade was a straight to video release?
No, but I'm not afraid to admit flat out when I'm mistaken either, even if it was a result of some misleading information. I couldn't find the correct information in the usual places, but have since been directed to it and the "airing date" bit has been clarified. My bad.

Quote:
11, *,846,000,000 *88scr Mobile Suit Gundam 00 The Movie: A Wakening of the Trailblazer
12, *,830,000,000 102scr Suzumiya Haruhi no Shoushitsu
Errr...so it's still a greater intake on less screens if it's not exactly around 20 of them. I could not remember the exact numbers as I was on my way to work, but I knew in the case of the theaters one was between 100-110 and the other was in the 80's. What I do know was that I said dollars as in USD and that number is indeed correct on a recheck. I regret that I tried to specify a rough number of theaters though without first checking for the exact number, but when your phone's battery is about to die you sometimes have to make sacrifices.

Source

Quote:
I'm guessing you got your info mixed up with Gintama.

*8, 1,066,000,000 142scr Gintama: Shinyaku Benizakura-hen

Which aired on a whole 40 more screens, but Gintama is a prime time anime and also a very popular WSJ manga so it's to be expected...
Definitely not the case. Wasn't going there at all actually.

Quote:
Spoiler for Sunrise:

Spoiler for KyoAni:

You do the math, K-ON! 2 is another 40k avg more than likely, lol @ Munto though.
Can you clarify your point here? My point was to acknowledge Sunrise's success in North America and Kyoani's lack thereof while also adding that they were also regularly competing with and often inching out the sales of Kyoto Animation's in Japan proper. All you seem to have done is further prove that. Was that your goal? If so why ask me to do math?

Indeed though, poor Munto. As I mentioned it was something of a disaster.

Quote:
@ Kaioshin, I'm aware of Munto's roots, note that I referred to it in both names in my post. That doesn't change my point that "we got a action series".
Acknowledged.

Last edited by Kaioshin Sama; 2010-12-31 at 23:39.
Old 2011-01-02, 03:56   Link #228
thirdlc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin Sama View Post
What most people don't seem to know is that while the character art was mostly Kyoani, the background art for that movie was largely done by a separate studio in Korea called Studio Blue, and two other Japanese in-between animation groups called Anime Workshop Basara and Headworks who frequently lose credit for their work to Kyoto Animation and who have been behind the background art for parts (and in some cases all) of some of the most frequently praised animation works of the decade such as Angel Beats, Clannad After Story, Kanon, K-On, The Big O, Code Geass, Gundam 00, Eureka Seven and The Girl Who Leapt Through Time. Some Kyoani animators worked on the background art as well, but it was overwhelming done by outsiders. So basically the part of the movie that people are praising the most had little to do with Kyoto Animation in terms of hands on work, which really raises some interesting questions about where Kyoani is at as an animator. The work is actually a composite piece (like much of today's anime) mostly done out of house.
Praising art directors is enough, isn't it? Background artists just paint in the same way the art director does. (Oh, I hear voices to bash me in my head again.) They themselves say that realistically painting is just a pain because it takes time to do but a piece of cake because it's not creative.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arias View Post
Still the best studio now. There's no better studio, and I doubt that there's an TV series animation studio that has a better modern track record than KyoAni.
Do you know Ashita no Nadja, a show produced by Toei and considered a failure? From what I heard, its sale was as much as that of Haruhi. What a limited market the otaku market is. (I don't know when the numbers of them were compared. Maybe before Haruhi 2009?)
Old 2011-01-02, 04:13   Link #229
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Ashita no Nadja
That anime was, what? 2003-04 and 50 episodes. Though it did share a first and second place in Saimoe 2004. Though honestly 2003-04 seems like a slow period for anime. A lull.

Not very well known outside Japan from what I can tell.
(at least in English speaking countries)

Last edited by Ithekro; 2011-01-02 at 04:26. Reason: english?
Old 2011-01-02, 04:17   Link #230
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
Not very well known outside Japan from what I can tell.
Because it's such a shojo anime...
Old 2011-01-02, 08:00   Link #231
thirdlc

Uh, it might be K-ON. Either way, I can't give the source. Don't take it too seriously.
Old 2011-02-22, 03:47   Link #232
AbZeroNow
North American Haruhiist

OK, I have a few questions that have come to mind:

1. When K-On starts to come out in North America on DVD in April(grr Bandai doing 4 episodes per disc), does anyone think this could be the KyoAni anime that makes it onto something like Adult Swim and makes the studio a household name in America?

2. We now know the K-On movie is slated for December. How soon do you think we'll get an idea of the studio's plans for 2012?
Old 2011-02-22, 04:05   Link #233
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Kyoto Animation seems to go back and forth on just how forthcoming on details about their next animation series. We know of one coming in March (OVA) and April (series): Nichijou. And we know the K-On movie will be out in December with one more episode of the second season to come out this March on the last DVD for that series. We also know the manga writer will be continuing K-On starting in the spring (we don't have details yet about what it will be about yet I guess.)

So we have no real idea what Kyoto Animation will do after Nichijou ends and before the K-On movie...much less 2012. We know Haruhi has more material to animate and they left a teasing thread for more in the movie last year. Full Metal Panic's novels are complete now if I understand correctly, meaning they can finally pick that series back up should they decide to do so. It is unclear if Kyoto and Key will work together again post-CLANNAD with others having worked on Angel Beats. No clue if they have any need or desire to return to Lucky Star. With K-On's source material continuing, they could animate that when it gets enough stories to host a 13 - 26 episode series again. That seems to be a profitable idea since they can make money on not only the DVD sales, but also music sales. So they could go in almost any direction come 2012.
Old 2011-02-22, 06:29   Link #234
RRW
Unspecified
*Scanlator

well lets hope the they not milking the franchise for 2012

Old 2011-02-22, 06:35   Link #235
Taufiq91

Quote:
well lets hope the they not milking the franchise for 2012
but, i wouldn't mind a harem spin-off featuring Satoshi (Ritsu's brother) with Jun, Azusa and Ui.
Old 2011-02-22, 07:44   Link #236
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taufiq91 View Post
but, i wouldn't mind a harem spin-off featuring Satoshi (Ritsu's brother) with Jun, Azusa and Ui.
Stop reading hentai. D:

Jocking aside, a harem spin-off would just soil the characters; so most of the fans would likely be against it.
Old 2011-02-22, 10:17   Link #237
Random32
Also a Lolicon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
It is unclear if Kyoto and Key will work together again post-CLANNAD with others having worked on Angel Beats.
I was under the impression that Angel Beats wasn't Key. It was Maeda and NaGa of Key working on a project independent of Key. Hironori Toba of Aniplex chose PAWorks as the studio, not either Maeda or NaGa. Though there is a chance that PAWorks might do a Key adaptation, I would rule out KyoAni just yet.

That said, I wouldn't mind if PAWorks ended up doing the adaptation since they seem to be a good studio.
Old 2011-02-22, 10:23   Link #238
Yui Is My Wife
Paper-Fan of DOOM!!

Quote:
Stop reading hentai. D:

Jocking aside, a harem spin-off would just soil the characters; so most of the fans would likely be against it.
Look what happened to the poor author of Kannagi two years ago; the SECOND she implied that Nagi is "used goods" (IE, not a virgin) she got death threats SO violent that she couldn't restart the manga even now.
Old 2011-02-22, 14:38   Link #239
0utf0xZer0
Pretentious moe scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yui Is My Wife View Post
Look what happened to the poor author of Kannagi two years ago; the SECOND she implied that Nagi is "used goods" (IE, not a virgin) she got death threats SO violent that she couldn't restart the manga even now.
I don't think we actually know why she went on hiatus for so long (last I heard the manga is supposed to return this year): the threats, an actual health problem, or just a big "fuck you" to the idiots. But if there's one thing I don't think played a role in the decision, its sales for the series, which are among the highest for a 2008 show. When I consider Kannagi and Evangelion, I can't help but wonder if death threats actually are a good sign for a series financial viability.

That said, I don't think Kyoto would do a harem spin-off of K-On! because I don't think harem antics are what the fanbase wants from the show, and I'm pretty sure they've come to the same conclusion - there really isn't a precedent for a harem show having K-On!like levels of success.

As for the "is Angel Beats by Key or just their employees", I was under the impression that Key did have some involvement with the project. And I can't help but think that the reason the show ended up at PA Works may have been partly due to the show blatantly mimicking Haruhi in some respects.

Signature courtesy of Ganbaru.
Old 2011-02-22, 15:56   Link #240
totoum
Me at work

Send a message via MSN to totoum
Quote:
Originally Posted by Random32 View Post
I was under the impression that Angel Beats wasn't Key. It was Maeda and NaGa of Key working on a project independent of Key.
For whatever it's worth key is mentioned in every trailer of the show,here's an exemple of a very early one.

And according to wiki both Maeda and Toba agreed on P.A Works :

Quote:
"After watching just the first three episodes of P.A. Works' True Tears (2008), however, Toba was shocked at the high quality and immediately went to P.A. Works' studio in Toyama Prefecture to meet with the production staff in the hope that one day Aniplex could collaborate with them on a project together. The following week, Maeda brought up the subject of deciding on an animation studio for Angel Beats! and mentioned that he too had seen True Tears and had become interested in P.A. Works. Shortly after that, Toba formally made the proposal to P.A. Works to animate the project."
I know wiki isn't always reliable but that's definatly what I remember hearing at the time.

Don't know if that rules out Kyoto for any future adaptation,P.A works has yet to do a straightforward adaptation,so maybe key would get back to Kyoto if they wanted one of their future works adapted.

Tags
studios