AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Death Note

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2006-11-15, 11:59   Link #1
xris
Just call me Ojisan

Death Note - Spoilers & Speculation (for experienced Death Noters only!)

This thread is for the experienced Death Note viewer (i.e. those of you who are familiar with potentially all the manga), its purpose is to allow free discussion of theories and speculation over the Death Note anime series, it therefore will contain unmarked spoilers. If you are a manga virgin of Death Note, then do not read this thread unless you want to be spoiled (use the Death Note - Speculation & Theories thread).

Since posters are expected to be familiar with the manga, there is no real need for spoiler tags, but feel free to include them if you so wish.

If you don't know how to use a spoiler tag, please read the BB Code FAQ.

Spoiler tag examples
[spoiler] Text to be hidden [/spoiler] becomes
Spoiler:

[spoiler=subject title] Text to be hidden [/spoiler] becomes
Spoiler for subject title:

Finally, please remain on-topic and do not use this thread if it's just discussion about the current or previous anime episodes. Also remember that this isn't a manga discussion thread, if you do want to discuss the manga then please use the existing Death Note Manga Discussion thread.
Old 2006-11-15, 12:03   Link #2
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Thank you Xris~

Spoiler for Series/ending:
Old 2006-11-15, 12:39   Link #3
Itachikun
Animesuki's Janitor

Send a message via AIM to Itachikun Send a message via MSN to Itachikun
Ya. Like I said before, episode 7 = Chapters 13 & 14, there are still plenty of story left.

Spoiler for Story:

________
3 SERIES (E46)

Last edited by Itachikun; 2011-02-15 at 08:44.
Old 2006-11-15, 12:42   Link #4
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itachikun View Post
Spoiler for Story:
Spoiler:
Old 2006-11-15, 18:28   Link #5
Justice Knight
Haro Pwned U!!!!

Spoiler:
Old 2006-11-15, 18:55   Link #6
myopius

Good thread. Since I'm used to it, I'll keep up the trend of elaborate spoiler labels when I initiate discussion of a topic and when I respond to topics which have already been precedented to exist in spoilers.

For those who want to analyze the pacing of the series and speculate on what it will cover, I can try to keep an updated list of which episodes correspond to which chapters. Along with that, I'll repost the entire section of text I wrote for an earlier post at http://forums.animesuki.com/showpost...0&postcount=24 about this issue.

Quote:
Spoiler for Episodes vs. chapters:
On the subject of the anime,
Spoiler for Art & characterization of Light:

Last edited by myopius; 2006-12-09 at 14:24.
Old 2006-11-20, 05:37   Link #7
Runesque
Reluctant Designer

You're right, and the change in art is basically what makes
Spoiler:
Old 2006-11-21, 08:39   Link #8
^_Usagi_^
BaKa

Quote:
it will end with L's death, it has to
no!!!!!!!! i'm a horrible Mello & matt fan ;_; id die without them. though i must say that after L deaths the level manga went down, there still were interesting moments ^-^
Spoiler:
Old 2006-11-21, 10:17   Link #9
GUTB_

First L/FBI arc - strong
Second L arc - okay
Misa arc - weak
Amnesia/Good Light arc - terrible
Final L arc - okay
Melo arc - weak
Near arc - okay
Finale - strong

The crappy Good Light arc almost lost me -- it was so long and frankly unbelievable. And also kind of dumb considering that Light was NEVER this friend of justice good guy, even before he picked up the Note he clearly hated the world and people in general. But mostly it was just boring.

After that, the manga is fairly weak right up until the end. I only kept reading to get to the end because I knew Light was going to have an awesome death -- I was just waiting for the moment he has an insane laughing fit infront of the SPK and is outed as a maniacal madman. And in this the manga finally delivers -- Light's death sequence was the best ever; screaming, insane, and in the end, pathetic and whimpering. I loved how he started screaming for Misa and Takada to hurry up and kill them all, even when they were dead or held far away.
Old 2006-11-23, 03:43   Link #10
Edgewalker
Nani ?

isnt there an alternate ending for death note manga ? I dont know, I heard a rumor. I liked ch 107 but though 108 was lame and weak...

Beyond that at 37 episodes Im betting we will either get an alternative ending at the Final L arc, or they will leave it open for a second season.
Old 2006-11-23, 09:35   Link #11
Misutaki

Considering I hated the "good Light" period, I feel like if they just summarized that up into a few episodes [which they could - even though it takes out a chunk of stuff, I'm sure they could 'paraphrase' it], they might be able to fit the whole thing in 37 episodes...the only problem is it'll get really rushed towards the end.

But, I feel the best thing to do would be to have two seasons - the first season could be the first two arcs, at a good rate. Then the second season could be the whole last arc, with it spanned out more.

I don't know though. I personally wouldn't care if it just stopped
Spoiler for story:
, but it's all up to them.
Old 2006-11-25, 16:44   Link #12
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Next episode (09) shall be L's appearance juring the test that Light takes. Judging from the past episodes i'm getting the feeling that the episode shall end with that, or when L appears juring the award cermony saying "I'm L". Its these kinds of scenes that are happening already that makes me believe they'll end this series with that send.. and go on to another season for the second part of the manga.
Old 2006-12-01, 20:51   Link #13
myopius

I wish I could post high-quality scans, because my image editor doesn't work under Windows for some reason. The end of episode 9, as it is in chapter 19, is just wonderful: Light leaning back in his chair, his face shadowed yet casual, commenting according to OT's translation, "I'm sure we'll get along just fine. Then I'll find everything, and send you all to hell." Man, that was beautiful. I really, really wish TW & Live-eviL would avoid Viz's translations.

Edit: Oh yes, and I forgot to mention. When
Spoiler for Manga, major plot twist:

I think they should, artistically, switch the "Next episode" narrator to L. From that point onward, it's more appropriate, IMO.

Last edited by myopius; 2006-12-02 at 00:17.
Old 2006-12-02, 09:38   Link #14
Juhachi
Uguu~

Quote:
Originally Posted by GUTB_ View Post
The crappy Good Light arc almost lost me -- it was so long and frankly unbelievable. And also kind of dumb considering that Light was NEVER this friend of justice good guy, even before he picked up the Note he clearly hated the world and people in general. But mostly it was just boring.
I felt much the same way. Chapters 36 (when Light gave himself up) between 46 (when the third Kira was revealed to be Higuchi) were the most boring parts of the entire series. I just wanted them to end so quickly yet I was reading them at least twice as slowly because they were so damn boring.

I mean, while I find it ironic that my avatar is from that arc (chapter 45), that scene where L said that just made me laugh and I had to save it for posterity. L just seemed so emo in that chapter...
Old 2006-12-02, 18:26   Link #15
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by myopius View Post
I think they should, artistically, switch the "Next episode" narrator to L. From that point onward, it's more appropriate, IMO.
Yeah, that would make a lot more sense. It would also do a good job at shaking viewers up. Still.. its hard to see if they'll go the same way as the manga with that arc.. its a crazy part of the story, and there are many parts of it that wouldn't work out for the anime.
Old 2006-12-03, 20:16   Link #16
Papaya
Sup

Send a message via AIM to Papaya Send a message via MSN to Papaya
Keep in mind that the L saga is itself separated into several parts.
We have...

Spoiler for Warning, LOTS of spoilers:
Old 2006-12-08, 01:45   Link #17
myopius

Episode 10 was fantastic.

Unfortunately, it confirms that Madhouse or whoever picks the content is determined to cut out every small instance that Light shows that he can sincerely care about another person. I didn't expect them to leave it in, and indeed they cut out the brief part where Light yells at L for saying he thinks Light is Kira which would upset his father. They've been keeping in the references about Light promising to send Kira to the executioner, but out of context of the instances where you see how much Light cares for/respects his father, it just seems like a recurring sike joke (to at least one person I've seen comment on it) rather than a sadly ironic lie. Edit: And another catch. According to a scanlation, L says of Light's promise to bring Kira to the electric chair if his father suffers, "No, it's way too corny to be an act" but in the anime he says something like "If it is, it's way too corny." Not sure if this is adopted from a Viz altered translation or the anime itself, but I would tend to suspect the latter. The idea being we can't have the great detective L confirming that Light isn't entirely cold-blooded. Also, as I read the scanlation of this chapter, I notice that they cut out the bit where Light profiles Kira. Oh, and now I just realized, it's because that ends in Light yelling at L for suggesting openly in front of his father that Sayu could be Kira by Light's criteria. Wow, it's like every bit they alter is to prevent the ambiguity in Light's character from coming into play, or to prevent certain parts from being interpreted as implying that. Another Edit: Oh, and they cut out the start when Sachiko is in the room and L estimates that the chance Kira will fail to kill isn't necessarily 0%. I wonder why. To tone down Light's way of bringing up the subject emotionally? Anyway, it does lend support to the theory that they're cutting down episodes to fit in just the first arc into 37 episodes, IMO.

Is it just me or have they been toning down the instances where L does cute things? If you read the manga (as you should if you read this topic) maybe you know what I mean by that... Like, his eyes seem eager, and he smiles while poking the inside of his cheek. I always noticed in the series the contrast between before L met Light when he was much more dull, to when he saw Light by camera comment that the 1500 agents coming into Japan was a fake and smiled in interest, to when he met Light and started to act more lively also. There's the idea that maybe he's become more energetic with the presence of another genius, and also the idea that he seemingly subconsciously constantly behaves is small ways which act to throw people off and render him unpredictable (and so his change in behavior is a way that he can exercise his unpredictability more freely, since he comes to be constantly in the presence of someone he needs to be offensively defensive toward). Anyway,
Spoiler for Might as well (Manga, major plot twist):

Last edited by myopius; 2006-12-09 at 14:15.
Old 2006-12-08, 15:25   Link #18
White Manju Bun
Anxious bookseller
*Author

I agree with the "good light" arc in the manga, I found that to be quite boring.

Spoiler:
- 11th Doctor.

Sig by TheEroKing

Last edited by White Manju Bun; 2006-12-08 at 15:42.
Old 2006-12-09, 07:48   Link #19
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Manju Bun View Post
Spoiler:
At the speed the story is being told, i can see then keeping it in.

So, next week we'll be getting Misa & Rem. Personally i can't wait to see Rem in the anime - it'll be interesting to see just how they'll capture her character.. and of course she'll have a female VA, though i can't imagine it. :3
Old 2006-12-09, 14:54   Link #20
White Manju Bun
Anxious bookseller
*Author

Yeah seeing Rem is gonna be awesome. I hope her seiyuu fits, they did a good job with Ryuk
- 11th Doctor.

Sig by TheEroKing
Closed Thread