Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2009-03-15, 23:14   Link #2141
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alchemist007 View Post
I wish the post WW2 'get ride of kanji' thing was successful. I hate all this memorization. Kana ftmfw.
It would end up as a bigger mess than it's now, even someone with poor japanese skill like myself can see this.
Old 2009-03-16, 00:56   Link #2142
Doraneko
The Owl of Minerva

Regarding the post-WW2 kanji hatred, actually the Chinese government has also tried to push forward a gradual scheme of kicking away kanji in the 50s, by first introducing the simplified kanji and then the completely romanized ones (pinyin). I am glad that they failed though and got stuck at the simplified Chinese stage .

As many has mentioned before homonyms is a very severe problem and can render most full romanization attempts of kanji languages useless.

Try this and feel the pain of a world without kanji . Note that even though the intonations are marked, the whole thing is still far from legible. Try also to appreciate the elegance and simplicity of kanji by comparing the original text with the English translation.

Spoiler for Pinyin version:

Spoiler for Kanji original text:

Spoiler for English translation:
Doraneko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-16, 01:31   Link #2143
Alchemist007
*Author

Guess the Korean hatred of Japan helped them.
Before the kankou example I figured stuff could've just been interpreted on context but I guess that's what happens when stuff's been too heavily infused and the same sounding stuff is actually different (though in speaking wouldn't that need its own clarification?)
Old 2009-03-16, 15:03   Link #2144
Raiga
tl;dr

Ahah, I remember stumbling across the lion-eating poet thing through various Wiki links! Love it, quite interesting and funny. Very classical Chinese of course, I showed it to my mom and she couldn't understand it... but in any case, yeah, it would be bad to get rid of Hanzi/Kanji, however difficult they are.
Old 2009-03-16, 18:32   Link #2145
Yukinokesshou
ドジ

Oh, and add the lack of spacing in Japanese text to a hypothetical absence of kanji... quel horreur.
Yukinokesshou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-16, 21:45   Link #2146
wao
OK.

There's still many fierce opponents of simplification of kanji and I can see why; the traditional characters have that original spirit around them and sometimes make more sense...

...but I'm ever thankful that I have never had to write 學校 or 國分寺 or 身體 or 錯亂. Then again if they had kept it I guess I'd have to have gotten used to it just like with all the other unchanged kanji like 机→機 (arrrrrrgh I still hate writing it) I do enjoy writing 責 instead of 责 and other examples though

I was reading up yesterday on the Toyo kanji list brought out immediately after the war, and kakimaze which results in you being able to cheat on harder words, even for things not so many would think about now like 斡旋 (which still comes up as あっ旋 in the IME) I still would far prefer writing 改ざん to 改竄 though, even though I thought it was some strange archaic verb at first.
Old 2009-03-17, 01:10   Link #2147
Ryuou
進む道は武士道のみ

Location: Dying to get back to Japan (but currently near Chicago)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yukinokesshou View Post
Oh, and add the lack of spacing in Japanese text to a hypothetical absence of kanji... quel horreur.
Good point to bring up.
Ryuou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-17, 11:48   Link #2148
Kinny Riddle
Gone for Good

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alchemist007 View Post
I wish the post WW2 'get ride of kanji' thing was successful. I hate all this memorization. Kana ftmfw.
You're joking right?

It was because of these kanji that I was able to learn Japanese faster, since my language (Chinese) was more or less similar, admittedly, that gave me some advantage over other non-Oriental learners.

Just like how the Western European languages share a common "language DNA" in Roman alphabets, and Eastern Europeans in Cyrillic alphabets, so too does the Oriental languages of Chinese, Japanese, Korean and Vietnamese share a common DNA of hanzi/kanji/hanja. They just cannot be mixed together.

The supremacy of the European powers in the 19th century led to an illusion that Roman alphabets are superior and is synonymous with modernity and all that sort of stuff, which is actually all bollocks, but led to naive nationalists all over attempting to forcefully transform their language to suit that of Roman alphabets, which may lead to awkward results. It's like telling a willow tree to become an oak because oaks are stronger.

Thank goodness the Chinese and Japanese didn't abandon hanzi/kanji, and it's only recently the Koreans are contemplating reusing hanja, because they find they can hardly interpret their own ancient texts, which were all written in hanja.

IIRC, the lion-eating poem was submitted to a newspaper by this university philology professor to illustrate his point about the absurdity of total romanization of the Chinese language.
Kinny Riddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-17, 21:01   Link #2149
Alchemist007
*Author

I've heard learning (the new non-hanja) korean is a whole lot easier now for the westerners. Quite the double edged sword (what a universally applicable phrase!)
Old 2009-03-17, 22:29   Link #2150
wao
OK.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yukinokesshou View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryuou View Post
Good point to bring up.
Nothing's stopping them from adding spaces in though. Have you read any literature aimed at young kids or games written entirely in hiragana? Like Pokemon (earlier versions, anyway - don't know about newer ones)

I kid you not, I learned hiragana and katakana entirely through trying to figure out what the hell was being said in Pokemon Ruby when the Japanese version first came out. It's actually an excellent way because you are being tested consistently (even for simple names) and are forced to remember.
Makes you remember basic grammar, too
Old 2009-03-17, 22:55   Link #2151
iLney

But the kanji is beautiful... and if you are familiar with it enough you can always get the meaning and even the reading of words that you never saw before.
iLney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-18, 02:55   Link #2152
Yukinokesshou
ドジ

I think attitudes towards kanji will always be a point of disagreement between Chinese and Westerners trying to learn Japanese (with me belonging to the former category ). There's no denying that kanji makes reading Japanese a whole lot easier for Chinese people, and a whole lot more challenging for Westerners.

I wonder whether the Japanese themselves are divided on this matter? Perhaps Japanese adults and primary school pupils would have diametrically opposing attitudes. Hehehe

Incidentally, part of the reason why North Korea abandoned kanji/hanja is down to nationalism. Kanji/hanja and even vertical right-to-left writing were seen as vestiges of Japanese colonialism (not true) and Chinese dominance in the past (true, but no one ever forced Korea to use kanji/hanja; it was just the natural thing to do). I believe South Korea abandoned kanji/hanja as a matter of convenience and not nationalism.

Last edited by Yukinokesshou; 2009-03-18 at 03:09.
Yukinokesshou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-18, 13:32   Link #2153
iLney

貴様
貴= precious
様= sama

So, 貴様 should give an extremely polite pronoun/noun?

Just....I don't feel so in "何てことをしてくれたんだ、キサマぁ (貴様) !"
iLney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-18, 14:47   Link #2154
Raiga
tl;dr

Oh yeah, the not-to-use-in-polite-conversation version of "you."

Somehow through semantic drift that's now a really, really rude way of addressing someone.
Old 2009-03-18, 15:34   Link #2155
aohige
( ಠ_ಠ)

Quote:
Originally Posted by iLney View Post
貴様
貴= precious
様= sama

So, 貴様 should give an extremely polite pronoun/noun?

Just....I don't feel so in "何てことをしてくれたんだ、キサマぁ (貴様) !"
kisama hasn't been a polite noun in like, several hundred years.

No, in modern usage, it's used to address someone you look down on, or you hate/despise.
Old 2009-03-18, 20:49   Link #2156
Ryuou
進む道は武士道のみ

Location: Dying to get back to Japan (but currently near Chicago)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wao View Post
Nothing's stopping them from adding spaces in though. Have you read any literature aimed at young kids or games written entirely in hiragana? Like Pokemon (earlier versions, anyway - don't know about newer ones)
I guess they could and I've also seen it spaced in very basic Japanese textbooks. Actually, whenever most people, including myself as rare as that is, write in romaji it's usually spaced. The semantics of where and when to space can get annoying though.

In any case though, adopting only romaji or getting rid of kanji would be a horrible idea.
Ryuou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-19, 13:42   Link #2157
christine_cute
A total anime freak^^

in japanese language, are there different words for speaking 'I'?(different ways for each gender?)

I have only heard 'boku'.....

How many types of such differences are there?
christine_cute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-19, 13:59   Link #2158
idiffer

Send a message via ICQ to idiffer
ore - male
watashi - female
boku - not really sure..
c) Your mind is too narrow to embrace my genius, de geso.
d) I was accidentally dropped into a barrel of whiskey, so now I am constantly drunk.
e) Go home and die! Dattebayo!
idiffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-19, 14:49   Link #2159
Circular Logic
土は幻に
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christine247 View Post
in japanese language, are there different words for speaking 'I'?(different ways for each gender?)

I have only heard 'boku'.....

How many types of such differences are there?
http://www.jref.com/language/japanes...pronouns.shtml
Circular Logic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-19, 14:53   Link #2160
christine_cute
A total anime freak^^

oh! i never really knew there were so many ways of speaking 'I'......this is surely confusing....

Last edited by christine_cute; 2009-03-20 at 11:42.
christine_cute is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hiragana