AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Haruhi Suzumiya

Notices

View Poll Results: Suzumiya Haruhi (2009) - Episode 08 Rating
Perfect 10 31 11.19%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 9 3.25%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 16 5.78%
7 out of 10 : Good 15 5.42%
6 out of 10 : Average 14 5.05%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 11 3.97%
4 out of 10 : Poor 9 3.25%
3 out of 10 : Bad 8 2.89%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 13 4.69%
1 out of 10 : Painful 151 54.51%
Voters: 277. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2009-07-30, 03:59   Link #21
Kogetsu Shirogane
Kneel Before Your King!

Send a message via AIM to Kogetsu Shirogane
Personally, I'd go with the 7+ episodes of moderate "torture." Though, that may just be due to the fact that I'm actually enjoying said "torture."
WARNING: Kogetsu Shirogane cannot be held accountable for any actions taken by someone else. Potential side effects of communicating with this user include headaches, mild confusion, insanity, delirium, and jumping into fires. Do not expose this user to sunlight or water or feed this user after midnight.
... so you think you're a king now...
Old 2009-07-30, 04:14   Link #22
Kid Ying
Pon pon pon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kogetsu Shirogane View Post
Personally, I'd go with the 7+ episodes of moderate "torture." Though, that may just be due to the fact that I'm actually enjoying said "torture."
Well, it's not thaaaaat bad watching an episode for a week, i mean, if you are lucky, you even got enough time to forget some of the lines and there's always news stuff, like the plane in the sky or Yuki buying the mask(and hell, even Yuki doing the same stuff is still glorious)...

But doing an endless eight marathon? THAT is just for true warriors, hehe.
Old 2009-07-30, 04:27   Link #23
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Can you even imagine if they were that literal with this gimmick to end it on the eighth episode? It would kind of be a little funny in a sad (for the anime industries creative processes) sort of way. Either way this has definitely been a low point in anime trends for me in recent years. Especially because by DVD time I'm sure it will prove beyond a reasonable doubt the theory that name and an ideal (moe?) tradition sells before anything else to the coveted Otaku demographic. A likely reality that I'm unsure if a lot of people are equipped to rationalize and accept when confronted by it face to face.

I just hope that in spite of nigh inevitable merchandising success that other companies will recognize the reason for it and not attempt a copycat of this gimmick.

On with the show then.....
Old 2009-07-30, 05:04   Link #24
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kogetsu Shirogane View Post
I highly doubt it's the worst sequel ever. I mean, it's nowhere near as bad as Batman and Robin, after all.
Well... Batman and Robin at least had Ahnold and his laugh-tastic pun-filled dialogue as Mr. Freeze (which, yes, I'll admit that I liked a lot), and Batgirl's costume was kind of appealing... the rest of the movie... *shudder*... but these two elements...

So, it's basically Mr. Freeze and Batgirl's costume

vs.

The Swimming pool scene and Haruhi, Mikuru, and Yuki's many kimonos.

Hhhmmm... tough choice.

Looking at the worst...

It's the freakin' Bat Credit Card and Bat nipples

vs.

Kyon becoming an utter imbecile and subtitles beginning to make my eyes bleed from familiarity.

Again... tough choice.

I will say, though, that this year's Haruhi could still be a better sequel than Batman and Robin if the last few episodes offer up something worthwhile.

Kaioshin Sama - We'll see. I think that a lot of people may very well be counting KyoAni's income before it flows in when it comes to DVD sales. Seeing how the DVDs do will be very interesting - they may not do as well as you and some others think.
Old 2009-07-30, 05:27   Link #25
Jintor

Honestly, just 3 loops would have been fantastic. They'd have made their point AND they probably wouldn't have pissed too many people off.

Sigh...
Old 2009-07-30, 06:14   Link #26
RAD_ED

Maybe this is some kind of test to see how truly loyal fans are. Also It doesn't feel like its going to end on ep 8.
Old 2009-07-30, 06:20   Link #27
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
Well... Batman and Robin at least had Ahnold and his laugh-tastic pun-filled dialogue as Mr. Freeze (which, yes, I'll admit that I liked a lot), and Batgirl's costume was kind of appealing... the rest of the movie... *shudder*... but these two elements...

So, it's basically Mr. Freeze and Batgirl's costume

vs.

The Swimming pool scene and Haruhi, Mikuru, and Yuki's many kimonos.

Hhhmmm... tough choice.

Looking at the worst...

It's the freakin' Bat Credit Card and Bat nipples

vs.

Kyon becoming an utter imbecile and subtitles beginning to make my eyes bleed from familiarity.

Again... tough choice.

I will say, though, that this year's Haruhi could still be a better sequel than Batman and Robin if the last few episodes offer up something worthwhile.

Kaioshin Sama - We'll see. I think that a lot of people may very well be counting KyoAni's income before it flows in when it comes to DVD sales. Seeing how the DVDs do will be very interesting - they may not do as well as you and some others think.
Well my wild guess is somewhere around 20,000 (which seems to be the common range for the top popular franchise names and brands) give or take a few thousand. So somewhere between 17 and 23 thousand on the first week. If there isn't a new Disney flick or an Evangelion product then by all current trends I'm fairly sure it will top the anime Oricon chart on release and probably for that week.
Old 2009-07-30, 06:24   Link #28
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

I take it the loop repeated again.
Old 2009-07-30, 06:36   Link #29
touge-n00b
ZC6 Eishi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jintor View Post

Sigh...
Is what we're hoping for?
Old 2009-07-30, 06:37   Link #30
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin Sama View Post
Well my wild guess is somewhere around 20,000 (which seems to be the common range for the top popular franchise names and brands) give or take a few thousand. So somewhere between 17 and 23 thousand on the first week. If there isn't a new Disney flick or an Evangelion product then by all current trends I'm fairly sure it will top the anime Oricon chart on release and probably for that week.
Well, I give you credit for putting in an actual guess.

I'll do the same in turn... if 20,000 is normal for a popular franchise name and brand, then I'm going to guess... 10,000 to 16,000.

I think that Endless Eight is really going to hurt. I've seen people on this board proclaim that they were DVD buyers in the past for Haruhi but don't intend to pick up the Endless Eight DVDs. I've read this elsewhere as well.

Personally, and to be brutally honest, I hope that Endless Eight hurts DVD sales. Because otherwise, you can expect animation studios to take a nasty lesson from this, and prepare yourself for some crappy cheap work from some of the bigger names in the anime industry...
Old 2009-07-30, 06:42   Link #31
bayoab

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlashFumo View Post
Seeing as how it technically airs on August 31st...

...NO! Must not get my hopes up!
It's still July...

Quote:
Especially because by DVD time I'm sure it will prove beyond a reasonable doubt the theory that name and an ideal (moe?) tradition sells before anything else to the coveted Otaku demographic. A likely reality that I'm unsure if a lot of people are equipped to rationalize and accept when confronted by it face to face.
Quote:
Here's the double edged problem... DVD4(BLR) will very likely sell much better than DVD5.X(E8). There are going to be those who aren't going to buy #4 because they aren't buying the 5.X series. However, there are those who will still buy #4 and then stop. I've also been seeing a number of posts indicating anger at the $50/1ep release. Thus, the actual effect of any of this won't be known until long after the series is over. (i.e. BLRs release won't tell us anything unless it goes insanely in one direction.)

(This probably belongs in the regular 2009 thread as this has nothing to do with ep 8.)
Old 2009-07-30, 06:58   Link #32
RAD_ED

Did they air it yet? The suspense is annoying me.
Old 2009-07-30, 07:14   Link #33
FlashFumo
Wait, what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bayoab View Post
It's still July...
I may or may not have forgotten that. For I am an idiot.

Old 2009-07-30, 07:18   Link #34
Ice Block
less qq; more pewpew

Reading through what I missed...

More qq than the average WoW forum board...

----------

Anyway, predicting loop number 15,529 and a non-ending in ~4.5 hrs.
Old 2009-07-30, 07:36   Link #35
Myssa Rei
Moderate Haruhiist

Send a message via ICQ to Myssa Rei Send a message via Yahoo to Myssa Rei
Incidentally, the longer this goes on, the more I'm finding the reactions to the repetitions hilarious. It's either anger, despair, or a tired acceptance that the loops will continue.

Serious dejavu on my part, as I still remember how it was during EVA's first run...

As for the DVD sales, if Kadokawa is really going through with releasing Endless Eight separately instead of bundled in with the other new episodes, well, it would be a surprise if they'd even break the 7000-unit sale mark. People on both sides of the Pacific are obviously angry, but we'll see if their wallets share their indignation.
Old 2009-07-30, 07:45   Link #36
PraiseDivineMercy
Newb in training

Ack, okay, here posting my hopes that KyoAni has grown a brain or someone in the company with some financial acumen has threatened them on our behalf.

However I will also stick to my theory that the endless eight is a publicity stunt to market the reairing of the first season, and not the second season itself.
Old 2009-07-30, 07:52   Link #37
Myssa Rei
Moderate Haruhiist

Send a message via ICQ to Myssa Rei Send a message via Yahoo to Myssa Rei
Incidentally, it's likely we won't see a resolution tonight either.
Old 2009-07-30, 08:29   Link #38
Jintor

Tonight's my pessimistic night - I vote NO RESOLUTION.

Endless Time Loop ahoy!
Old 2009-07-30, 08:30   Link #39
Rice_slayer
Resident Car Buff

Can't wait for a New Endless eight episode next week, what Endless recursion of time will we see :P.
Old 2009-07-30, 08:44   Link #40
Forever
Revealing the truth

Since I have totally lousy gambling luck these days, I say it will be a repetition