AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2010-07-14, 16:54   Link #61
Darsovin

Quote:
Originally Posted by fallschirmjager View Post

As for my preparations against the undead...

I'm set anyway, I live in the country several kilometres fromthe nearest population centre and I've got a small arsenal at my disposal if anything goes awry.

My pride and joy of that arsenal is a paramilitary grade sniper rifle so I'm more than ready for picking off the undead at five hundred plus metres if they try to enter my property.
Lucky dog...I live not too far away from the Disney parks and Universal, so I'd have to deal with all the undead "tourists' as well! As if they didn't make the traffic unbearable enough!!

Pray tell what kind of "paramilitary" grade sniper rifle we talking about here? If it's a Barrett I hate you even more!! I picked one up one of my local gun stores and then put it down very carefully after I saw the price....$18,000 USD?!?
Darsovin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-14, 17:00   Link #62
grylsyjaeger
Onani Master

Send a message via MSN to grylsyjaeger
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darsovin View Post
Lucky dog...I live not too far away from the Disney parks and Universal, so I'd have to deal with all the undead "tourists' as well! As if they didn't make the traffic unbearable enough!!

Pray tell what kind of "paramilitary" grade sniper rifle we talking about here? If it's a Barrett I hate you even more!! I picked one up one of my local gun stores and then put it down very carefully after I saw the price....$18,000 USD?!?
It's a Steyr-Mannlicher Elite in .308 Winchester. I live in Australia so it was one of those requests at the local gunshop that had everyone looking at me kind of sideways...

I'm in the process of acquiring a different scope mount as well as some backup iron sights from the states. The paperwork's a bitch... If I did live in the states, this rifle would have a sound suppressor in a heart beat. I do know you can "get" suppressors over here but they are far from legal.

My next firearm purchase was going to be a Remington 7615P but I had a play with one last weekend and it felt like a toy so I think I'll just keep saving for an AWM in .338 Lapua.

And props to anyone who know what I've got the rifle laying on in that photo.

"It doesn't mean much, we never had a chance."
grylsyjaeger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-14, 17:43   Link #63
Qikz

I'd be in a lot of trouble being in the UK, where could I possibly get a gun?

Looks like Nail Guns would be my best bets from B&Q.
Qikz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-14, 17:47   Link #64
Tempy
Σ(。д°(o--(ಠ益ಠ )
*Author

Quote:
It's a Steyr-Mannlicher Elite in .308 Winchester. I live in Australia so it was one of those requests at the local gunshop that had everyone looking at me kind of sideways...

My next firearm purchase was going to be a Remington 7615P but I had a play with one last weekend and it felt like a toy so I think I'll just keep saving for an AWM in .338 Lapua.
Hmm.

A less-than-savvy gamer kid may call you out for collecting the Counter-Strike sniper rifles (though that is a pretty rifle).

I got a Remington 700P in .30-06, though my stock in that particular bullet is woefully low...
Old 2010-07-14, 17:48   Link #65
Seitsuki
Onee!

Quote:
And props to anyone who know what I've got the rifle laying on in that photo.
uhm... a shirt? :/

damn you're lucky. I've been checking through the gun control laws here in NZ and already I'm stupidly lost. First you need a permit, which is reasonable, but then for pretty much any category of firearm which is not a toy you either need to be a "collector" or have a "reason to aquire" (which I'm guessing 'protection from zombies' isn't really going to cut it.) Handguns are pretty much entirely out of the picture.

Guess air rifles are gonna hafta be my weapon of choice for now.. (hardly silent, needs gas, crappy penetrating power, gl to me)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qikz View Post
I'd be in a lot of trouble being in the UK, where could I possibly get a gun?

Looks like Nail Guns would be my best bets from B&Q.
nail guns have horrible penetration at distance. you'll need to be at least within around 5 meters, assuming you've overrided the failsafe that prevents firing without surface contact. don't believe hsotd for everything xD
Old 2010-07-14, 18:05   Link #66
Qikz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seitsuki View Post
uhm... a shirt? :/

damn you're lucky. I've been checking through the gun control laws here in NZ and already I'm stupidly lost. First you need a permit, which is reasonable, but then for pretty much any category of firearm which is not a toy you either need to be a "collector" or have a "reason to aquire" (which I'm guessing 'protection from zombies' isn't really going to cut it.) Handguns are pretty much entirely out of the picture.

Guess air rifles are gonna hafta be my weapon of choice for now.. (hardly silent, needs gas, crappy penetrating power, gl to me)

nail guns have horrible penetration at distance. you'll need to be at least within around 5 meters, assuming you've overrided the failsafe that prevents firing without surface contact. don't believe hsotd for everything xD
Nailgun would be fine for 5 meters, clearly I'd have a super powered one.

I honestly have no idea what to do if anything ever happened, I'd have to hide in the attic then make my way around without any actual weapons of choice. Maybe I could get a chainsaw or two from B&Q.
Qikz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-14, 18:21   Link #67
grylsyjaeger
Onani Master

Send a message via MSN to grylsyjaeger
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempest Dynasty View Post
Hmm.

A less-than-savvy gamer kid may call you out for collecting the Counter-Strike sniper rifles (though that is a pretty rifle).

I got a Remington 700P in .30-06, though my stock in that particular bullet is woefully low...
Perhaps.

I used to play Counter-Strike when I was younger and I can say the Steyr in CS was just a stock stand Scout, not an Elite.

I got the Elite because I'm sick of the same old Remingtons, Rugers, Sakos and Weatherbys. I wanted simething different, something unique and not to mention accurate.

Currently with factory loads I'm getting 3/4" to 1" groups at one hundred yards but with my latest handloads 1/2" and under is the norm.

Plus it looks bloody awesome.

As for AWM, I'll amit that is a bit of CS inspired dream but what's wrong with that. Come Z-Day I'll be sitting pretty busting heads from a mile away!

"It doesn't mean much, we never had a chance."
grylsyjaeger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-14, 18:52   Link #68
Tempy
Σ(。д°(o--(ಠ益ಠ )
*Author

Quote:
Perhaps.

I used to play Counter-Strike when I was younger and I can say the Steyr in CS was just a stock stand Scout, not an Elite.

I got the Elite because I'm sick of the same old Remingtons, Rugers, Sakos and Weatherbys. I wanted simething different, something unique and not to mention accurate.
Well, yes. Given the choice, I would've gone with the Elite too, but the price is a bit over what I'd like to pay. I got my 700P for $500, and my Winchester for $400 USD. I still wouldn't be able to buy an Elite if I sold both

Kudos that you got one, though. It's certainly a different rifle.

Quote:
Currently with factory loads I'm getting 3/4" to 1" groups at one hundred yards but with my latest handloads 1/2" and under is the norm.

Plus it looks bloody awesome.

As for AWM, I'll amit that is a bit of CS inspired dream but what's wrong with that. Come Z-Day I'll be sitting pretty busting heads from a mile away!
Living in a rural area has its advantages, indeed. I live in a suburb, so a rifle wouldn't be all too useful; too much stuff in the way. Though, I guess the AR-15 would be pretty good there. I'd better dump the cash to Magpul-ize it into TACTICOOL mode.
Old 2010-07-14, 19:48   Link #69
TooPurePureBoy
Socially Inept

For those without access to a firearm, maybe you'd be lucky enough to have a "Super-Soaker" squirt-gun filled with gasoline and a zippo-lighter tied to the end.

Oh and maybe a pokey stick to keep the burning zombies that are still kickin a little away.
Old 2010-07-14, 19:52   Link #70
Dextro
He Without a Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by TooPurePureBoy View Post
For those without access to a firearm, maybe you'd be lucky enough to have a "Super-Soaker" squirt-gun filled with gasoline and a zippo-lighter tied to the end.

Oh and maybe a pokey stick to keep the burning zombies that are still kickin a little away.
Hell yes, fire can be your best ally when fighting zombies (those suckers BURN! ).

You could get a couple of large bottles, fill them with gasoline and connect them to a water hose. Use rope to hold them upside down on your back and get a lighter or something else to turn on the heat and presto: home-made flamethrower.

note: do not try this at home kids, it'll probably turn you into a huge fireball instead of coming out the hose.

There's the slight issue of it also being your worse enemy if it happens to get out of control but what could go wrong hum? It's not like the burning zombies would keep coming at you till they "melted" away
Old 2010-07-14, 19:55   Link #71
Jaden

Zombie outbreak? Well, I don't have any firearms available, but there's a river nearby that I could row down with a canoe to the baltic sea. From there follow the coast to the docks and escape north to the countryside with a motorboat. There bide my time and wait for winter to freeze the bulk of those zombies. Then I could start thinking of securing a military base...there I'd be in pretty good shape I think.
Jaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-14, 20:00   Link #72
Seitsuki
Onee!

Quote:
Maybe I could get a chainsaw or two from B&Q.
Bad idea. Really bad. Movies are NOT a good port of call for ideas. Chainsaws:
-need fuel. And go through it fast. Without fuel it's useless.
-are LOUD. will draw every contact in the neighbourhood your way.
-are heavy and hard to carry. staying mobile is essential.
-finally, chainsaws aren't exactly lightsabres. The chain could easily get jammed, or blades could chip/snap/dull. Which is really bad when you're surrounded, as is probably going to be the case with such a weapon.

Fire is not a good idea either. Since they feel no pain, being on fire will not stop them from coming at you. While setting fire to every nearby in the process, eg your barricades or something explosive. Stick with a gun if you can get your hands on one.
Old 2010-07-14, 20:04   Link #73
Dextro
He Without a Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seitsuki View Post
Bad idea. Really bad. Movies are NOT a good port of call for ideas. Chainsaws:
-need fuel. And go through it fast. Without fuel it's useless.
-are LOUD. will draw every contact in the neighbourhood your way.
-are heavy and hard to carry. staying mobile is essential.
-finally, chainsaws aren't exactly lightsabres. The chain could easily get jammed, or blades could chip/snap/dull. Which is really bad when you're surrounded, as is probably going to be the case with such a weapon.

Fire is not a good idea either. Since they feel no pain, being on fire will not stop them from coming at you. While setting fire to every nearby in the process, eg your barricades or something explosive. Stick with a gun if you can get your hands on one.
AHAH so true.

Anyway fire can be used effectively in a fight against the undead. Consider this scenario: You find a house filled with undead. They are inside and you are outside and able to block the exits so they can't get out. How would you go about eliminating the zombie threat?

Set fire to the place and monitor at a safe distance so you can pick any that are able to escape with a rifle.

Btw an effective weapon would be a pitchfork btw. It's long so you can keep the undead at a distance and it has piercing power so you can go for the brain at a distance. Of course it can get stuck to a still active zombie but it's easy to let it go in such an event.
Old 2010-07-14, 20:08   Link #74
Seitsuki
Onee!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dextro View Post
AHAH so true.

Anyway fire can be used effectively in a fight against the undead. Consider this scenario: You find a house filled with undead. They are inside and you are outside and able to block the exits so they can't get out. How would you go about eliminating the zombie threat?

Set fire to the place and monitor at a safe distance so you can pick any that are able to escape with a rifle.

Btw an effective weapon would be a pitchfork btw. It's long so you can keep the undead at a distance and it has piercing power so you can go for the brain at a distance. Of course it can get stuck to a still active zombie but it's easy to let it go in such an event.
If they're inside and can't get out and you're outside, why would you bother doing anything at all? :/ They can't get to you. On the other hand if you do start a fire there's a chance it'll spread too fast and catch you too, or at the least draw nearby zombies your way due to the light, smoke and noise. A common thought is that you should kill every zombie you see if possible so that it's 'one less you'll have to kill later'. Imo this should only apply if you can kill them safely, quickly, without attention and without wasting effort or ammunition. Setting a housefire is neither quick, safe or quiet.
Old 2010-07-14, 20:14   Link #75
Gin
*Artist

Quote:
Maybe I could get a chainsaw or two from B&Q.
Chainsaws are probably one of the worst weapons for a zombie apocalypse, if you are going to be relying on melee weapons, you should get a Halligan Bar.

You could also just focus on making your house really secure, so you can try to ride out the apocalyspe until the rest of mankind defeats the undead scourge.

EDIT:
Or try this site.

Last edited by Gin; 2010-07-14 at 20:39.
Gin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-14, 20:31   Link #76
Lost Cause

I'll take my newest toy a Ruger 9mm pistol and as many clips as I can carry!
And they still make bullets for the M-1 carbine, saw a few boxes at the gun store I purchased my Ruger at.

Ride, Boldly Ride!
Lost Cause is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-14, 20:39   Link #77
kaizer63

Send a message via AIM to kaizer63
Unfortunately for me I don't have any guns (nail or otherwise) to save me from the zombies. However, I do have a solid-steel camping axe in my car at all times and when home we've got a few fire pokers and plenty of kitchen knives so I'm not too hurting for melee.

I'm also a great shot with a paintball gun and live in a part of the south where every Wal-mart is fully stocked with hunting rifles and ammo so, hopefully in a worst case scenario, I could pick one up and adapt to it quickly enough. Also one of my good friends is a gun fanatic AND in ROTC with access to training rifles.

The real question here is this: Anyone else play HvZ? I feel that it is a wonderful way to prepare yourself for any potential apocalypse. What could be better training than only having access to unreliable weapons against fast, thinking zombies?
Old 2010-07-14, 20:57   Link #78
Darsovin

Wow didn't realize so many of you guys on the forums are from countries with such strict gun control. Even fallschirmjager has to go through red tape to get "parts" for his rifle! Not talking parts that would alter the actual internals of it, we're talking a simple scope mount or iron sights? Suppressor though, even in states where it's legal, is still a hassle to get a hold of. Same process as getting full automatic weapons, bottom line is it involves the ATF.

Though it makes you wonder if America would actually be better off with all the firearms we have in the case of a zombie apocalypse. Only benefit I can think of is killing as many of the infected we come across to reduce the spread. Easier to do if the civilian population can help with that process rather than rely on what national guard units are still in country(since a lot of our military is deployed...).
Darsovin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-14, 21:11   Link #79
Bonta Kun
Know who you are

How to survive a zombie apocalypse?

Lets see first I'd jump into my Tardis, then jump over to City 17 of the Half-Life universe and pick me up these 2 things, a Gravity Gun and Dog!

Nothing like a gun with a practically unlimited ammo supply and a 8-9 foot loyal robot dog to cover you back
Then jump back into my Tardis and then proceed to my next stop in a galaxy far far away where I find me a jedi to chop down and steal his lightsaber.
After a lengthy battle with the jedi, I pocket his lightsaber and then it's back to the Tardis and off to Reach of the Halo verse to pick me up a suit of MJOLNIR Mark VI Powered Assault Armor. This will probably be pretty tough as trying to sneak past hundreds of warships and defense stations in orbit I will have to sneak in to a top security facility to acquire the armour which won't be easy but i have Dog with me so I'll manage.
Once again it's back to the Tardis and then back to Earth but at a different time period, star date 1972. Here I will enlist the help of the A-Team, a valuable and resourceful group of men that can make anything outta nothing.
Next up is the recruitment of Samantha Carter, def gonna need some brains around and she also knows how to handle a gun with deadly proficiency.
After it's back to the present back into the jaws of hell.
Now gotta find a nice place secure place to settle down, something like Edinburgh Castle would be quite good, big fortified place(really gotta love these medieval castles. I'd bet some of the japanese castles are pretty good as well)
Once the place is secure, we go to work finding survivors and supplies in our specially designed super chopper that I got the A-team to whip up.
Carter whips up some more Gravity Guns and we have ourselves a little zombie hunting party.

There my little way of surviving a zombie apocalypse

seriously tho I'd probably have a panic attack and be eaten by cat next door-__-
Old 2010-07-14, 21:31   Link #80
sergho

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BjMiDZIY1bM
sergho is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
apocalypse, firearms, survive, zombies