AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2009-06-28, 10:51   Link #81
Tamad
デゲソ!! ( ・_・)ノ

Well I hope it stays that way, I don't really want them going "Magical Girl" on us.
Old 2009-06-28, 11:02   Link #82
Ashlotte
Clockwork

I can't say as I mind Mahou Shoujo too much (Heck one of my favorite current shows for awhile now has been Shugo Chara) but I kindof have a hard time envisioning the OP/ED suiting something in that genre...Maybe not though depending on how they handle it, guess will see.

No matter what enemy. No matter what ally. Mowing everything down with maximum destructive power.

That is...

"The White Devil of the Administration Bureau"
Ashlotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-28, 22:47   Link #83
klare

cute

looks like i will continue watching
klare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-01, 15:16   Link #84
Midonin
Last Engage

Spoiler for Episode 2 - Umi Monogatari no Naku Koro Ni:
Midonin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-01, 17:11   Link #85
ThoHell

Why when I watch this does it remind me of Sailor Moon but without all the space stuff and the peppy music?
ThoHell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-01, 20:04   Link #86
Raiga
tl;dr

Spoiler:
Old 2009-07-01, 21:38   Link #87
Mistypearl
Whack and Unwrap!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DmonHiro View Post
Actually, why do people keep saying this is a "magical girl" anime? I see almost nothing that defines that genre here. No transformations, no monster to defeat, nu super-powers....no nothing.
It's a magical girl anime because they so obviously have the super power of being able to breathe underwater

All jokes aside... the first episode I thought had well enough pacing, and the characters for me are interesting enough. What will keep me watching this series is the lush BGM and artwork. I could eat it! The music is beautiful and really keeps the story flowing. And I really like the ED, Urin's 'comments' at the mini story, and the mini story itself is interesting. I'm looking forward to the next episode.

Though they really really need to stop wearing the booty shorts asap Dx

Quote:
I'm more familiar with his work on Princess Tutu, which was musically and artistically... unique to say the least.
Wow I had no idea, I'm definately going to see this show through, I didn't know he was a part of making Princess Tutu.
Old 2009-07-01, 21:49   Link #88
serenade_beta
そのおっぱいで13才

Futari ha Precure~!

Spoiler for ep2:

-Blog --> http://tdnshumi.blogspot.com/ (Mainly about video games)
-R.I.P. Hiroshi Yamauchi, Gaming wouldn't have been the same without you (9/19/13)
serenade_beta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-02, 05:52   Link #89
scr
my sides are in orbit

It's not exactly Pretty Cure, it's mostly like Wedding Peach. Making monster of the week peaceful and all that.

This anime sure love peace, even during the height of action the music is the kind that normally put me to sleep, but the near-yuri tentacle raepactions keep me awake.
If there's a Final Fantasy game that I must put my personal seal of disapproval on, it's Crisis Core. I mean, just look at how this Genesis Rhapsodos dude is raping the canon. It's bad. As in, fanfiction bad.
scr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-03, 00:24   Link #90
Craymel

I saw the raw because the subs are no where to be found. The assumption I made in my deleted post was correct.

Spoiler for don't feel like getting deleted again :P:

I hope the subs come out soon. I got a pretty good idea of what happened and what everyone was saying but I couldn't really understand a lot of things mentioned about the main antagonist. Still watching this but this episode was not as good as the first one.
Old 2009-07-03, 05:26   Link #91
Kimura sensei
Kimurin, the Wise

I hate Kanon. Worst main character ever. At least Marin is good.
Kimura sensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-03, 06:24   Link #92
margafred
ლ(́◉◞౪◟ ◉ ლ )

So far so good...altho the henshin sequence was nowhere different from your usual mahou shoujo henshin,but that's the only thing about it that i felt similar to mahou shoujo genre.The animation style was good..no complaint about that.

The BGM,contrary to what other ppl would say about how a BGM should sound when it comes to action scene,i find that the BGM still suits the fighting scene well.I like the way they played the piano,being the only instrument used for the BGM,although it didn't convey the scene's feeling well..but still i love it.

If i were to compare it with another anime,i would say..erm..Sketchbook?or Aria?Coz the feeling Umi Monogatari emitted was kinda similar to those feeling i got when watching those 2 animes.Hope i'm not wrong by saying Umi Monogatari gives out the "calm" and "peaceful" feeling to anyone that watching it,coz that was what i actually felt when watching it.
margafred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-03, 06:42   Link #93
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Spoiler for Ep2:
Old 2009-07-03, 06:45   Link #94
Skyfall
Lost in my dreams...

After the second episode, i am not really sure what to think of the series as a whole. I definitely like the atmosphere, and the music is nice (if somewhat misplaced at times) in creating the serene atmosphere, and i am definitely enjoying the more mundane parts of the show, which, i believe, is where its strength lies. I am having mixed feelings about the magic part though - while it was definitely to be expected, i didn't really like how it was presented. While the animation was nothing to complain about as the series continues to be quite visually appealing, i felt the presentation came across as somewhat silly and overly the top dramatic. I couldn't really shake the feeling they were trying to be a tad too presumptuous with the whole deal, despite the series not really being geared towards that and more towards a bit of silliness - can't say the mix felt all that successful for me personally. Oh well, will have to wait and see what the future brings, but i believe i would appreciate more of the "slice of life" elements and less the "magical girl" ones
Old 2009-07-03, 08:48   Link #95
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

I don't know if it's just me, but while the animation, music and heck even the fights are great... the genre isn't meshing together as much as I'd hope. Granted slice-of-life and magical girl aren't two genres you normally associate together, since you're trying to unite average everyday real life with fantasy magic action, but it seems like the episode is distinctly segregating both aspects apart rather than mixing them together.

I was actually expecting something like salt and water, mix them together and you have the qualities of both at the same time, essentially both distinguishable and indistuinguishable. However it's coming off as water and oil. The first half felt almost exclusively slice of life while the last half is magical girl, separated by a noticable line.

In retrospect, slice-of-life is idealized by everyday normal life, where you don't really see major life-changing events occurring often. In contrast magical girl shows have a lot of active and altering events that shape the movement of the plot. Perhaps if you force them to mesh together one will just overpower the other, so maybe a noticable separation mught be the best approach.

I'm still liking the show anyway, so I'll want to see where it goes.
MeoTwister5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-03, 10:19   Link #96
Craymel

Just to let people know (if you care...) I deleted the video I uploaded of the ending and replaced it with a new one that doesn't have stuttering problems in the beginning.

Spoiler for Here is the video:
Old 2009-07-03, 11:56   Link #97
fict_ticious
I can has drinks?

Well, episode 2 did not disappoint. I'm not too sure what to think, but this really isn't bad at all. Although premise is simple and the mixing of genres is a little weird, the actual quality makes you want to watch more. I just hope the Priestesses will throw a few more punches and kicks in future fights.
Spoiler:

The whole "sea people on land" and semi-"magical girlfriend" scenario is enough to sucker me in, so for the summer this looks like a keeper. They really could have cut back on the Elder Turtle's speech on the big bad. I hope there's some Action-ey tracks in this anime - music would have really made more of an impact if there was.
fict_ticious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-03, 13:13   Link #98
OceanBlue
Not an expert on things

I agree with everyone on how the genres aren't coming together as well as they could, but hopefully the show get better with that later on.

It's going to take a while to get used to their costumes....
OceanBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-03, 13:33   Link #99
Noe
HARDCORE Fate addict™

Send a message via AIM to Noe Send a message via MSN to Noe
So the priestess of the sea & sky are revealed.

ALL HAIL FATE T. HARLAOWN!
#Feitoism @ irc.rizon.net to revere, share, and cherish Fate Testarossa Harlaown.
My blog
Noe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-03, 14:17   Link #100
Craymel

After watching the second episode a second time with subtitles I kinda change my mind about the bgm for this episode but I still got the feeling of schizophrenia between the clash of genres. Hopefully it blends together better later in the series

Tags
fantasy