AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Lucky Star

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2008-07-22, 17:06   Link #181
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dee Eon View Post
I'm surprised that hasn't occurred to them, being they seem pretty shameless about how they've been promoting themselves on L*S's tail.
They ought throw an open house (shrine?) to miko everywhere for the job, but imagine being on the select committee! Hey, I just thought of a new TV show! "American Miko" about a devout young lady circulating America on foot spreading the Shinto Word 'tween chopping agnostic heads... ! Hey, if it can work for ninjas!...
Shinto shrines are almost all pretty practical about maintaining theirselves. Sometimes the town/village provides a stipend but often its the holidays and festivals that provide needed income to maintain the grounds and compensate the priests and miko. Medieval Christian churches had a business model that wasn't that different.

Also.. Shinto isn't an aggressive missionary type of religion like J-C-I.
Quote:
Well, sure must be, since I'm looking at screenshots of the Hiiragis home which looks like it's on a regular residential block, not in a shrine's compound or sanctuary, unless the place is simply outside of but owned by the shrine. You hardly see any pics of the real shrine inside the property anyway! Those pics would leave you thinking that that store and tourist center IS the shrine!

Quote:
Selecting photos as visual references doesn't mean the artists aren't going to monkey with the maps to achieve a result. The home of Dad and his miko daughters is off-site. There's enough inference to assume Dad makes a fair bit of change blessing new construction and all the other activities that require Shinto blessing. Their homesite may have been in the family for a long time (though most Japanese rebuild/remodel homes to suit current needs). If you'll watch another series, Wagaya no Oinara-sama, you'll notice there's often a tourist/convenience shop near the more popular shrine entrances.
My brother chimes in; if Kona and the twins really live that close to another, why don't they ever take the same train home from school at least? At most they must only be a local bus ride apart, right? (to those in the know about Tokyo). Oversight or flub?
They all use the same train station (though "Mi-wiki" goes the other way) .... but I seem to remember they're just far enough apart to get off on different stops and take different buses.
Quote:
It would, only -- now I respect voice actors, I really do, but ironically I kind of doubt they'd be the best ones to personify the characters in and out since it's more job than passion to (most of?) them I suppose.
You must be joking. Most japanese VAs live and breathe their work and use every chance possible to show they are popular to their managers and bosses. Many of them break down in tears of happiness when their fans cheer them at live performances. As a rule they are quite passionate about their work (the alternative careers being waitress, office-lady, etc).

Most VAs cosplay their characters at times for various functions or photoshoots. Somewhere I've seen photo and video of the VAs who play the twins in miko costume .... and if you've watched VAs - even if they don't fully resemble their characters physically, they do a pretty good impression of their personality and facial expressions.
Old 2008-07-23, 05:33   Link #182
Amray

Quote:
My brother chimes in; if Kona and the twins really live that close to another, why don't they ever take the same train home from school at least? At most they must only be a local bus ride apart, right? (to those in the know about Tokyo). Oversight or flub?
But, they do go on the same train home. The only time that the do not go on the same train is when Konata is going to GAMERS or something similar. In most cases they will go onto the same train home. In some other episodes they will also take the same bus to or from school. Such as on the final episode when they are encouraging Kagami to join in with the dance.
Old 2008-07-23, 14:08   Link #183
Dee Eon

Hi All!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Shinto shrines are almost all pretty practical about maintaining theirselves. Sometimes the town/village provides a stipend but often its the holidays and festivals that provide needed income to maintain the grounds and compensate the priests and miko.
That's really quite admirable, though I thought miko were spiritually volunteers. But it'd be nice to see if L*S influenced their ranks! Wonder if shrines are tax-exempt in Japan too.

Quote:
Their homesite may have been in the family for a long time (though most Japanese rebuild/remodel homes to suit current needs).
Now that's fascinating! A legacy homestead (though I suppose the original's likely burned down during the war, uh?). Well, be interesting how the Hiiragi house would pass down, especially since there're no male heirs (BTW where'd all the brothers in this show go??), but I suspect eventually it'll be Tsukasa's nest because I can't see her hitched too long (even if she does) after the others have flown.

Quote:
There's enough inference to assume Dad makes a fair bit of change blessing new construction and all the other activities that require Shinto blessing.
"Fair bit" LOL! Well, he sure does better than the tray passers down our block! I can imagine his biz card; "I also bless playgrounds, sidewalks, latrines, and birthday cakes on emergencies." Boy, I oughta get into that racket! or is that too harsh? I wonder how a blessing's charged, but wouldn't God/Gods frown on someone skimming their messages? This is interesting stuff to delve into later!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amray View Post
But, they do go on the same train home...
Hope you all don't mind a little Indiana Jones-style nit-picking! (like do you know you can spot a light bulb in a street lamp in "Gone With The Wind" plain as day??) If not just ignore me and jump down! Okay, bro' mentions an ep around the first three or so when the quad is entering the train station after school discussing falling asleep on other passengers (always showing Kona headed home alone and even almost missing her spot and a seat!) and the "upper class" joke about Miyuki heading cityward and the others out to bumpkinland and Konata waves to the twins and Miyuki and sulks off downstairs for her train home. In the "Tsukasa cell phone" eps, school-bound Konata's always meeting the twins outside the train station to get on the school bus. Ditto the ep when fireworks-bound Kona and Yutuka in kimonos meet the twins in another train station instead of joining up together at her home station. I don't know how big Saitama is, but does it swallow several train stations? (is it true that if you line-connect all the prime L*S sites on a map that you end up with a pentagram??)

Quote:
You must be joking... and if you've watched VAs - even if they don't fully resemble their characters physically, they do a pretty good impression of their personality and facial expressions.
I'm duly humbled. I mean, I wasn't expecting Bela Lugosi, but wasn't sure just how deep into their characters they were. I understand to the Simpsons VA's it's "just a $$$ job". I wonder if they ever voiced for street L*S puppet shows for change too.

Quote:
As a rule they are quite passionate about their work (the alternative careers being waitress, office-lady, etc).
The glass ceiling's live 'n knee-high in Japan, uh? Awful.

Lunch's getting cold!..!
Dee

Miyuki's Spaced-Out Secret txt Miyuki's Spaced-Out Secret pdf

And soon something different and quasi-educational (but fun!): "The Girls From E.D.O."
Old 2008-07-23, 14:35   Link #184
Amray

Quote:
Hope you all don't mind a little Indiana Jones-style nit-picking! (like do you know you can spot a light bulb in a street lamp in "Gone With The Wind" plain as day??) If not just ignore me and jump down! Okay, bro' mentions an ep around the first three or so when the quad is entering the train station after school discussing falling asleep on other passengers (always showing Kona headed home alone and even almost missing her spot and a seat!) and the "upper class" joke about Miyuki heading cityward and the others out to bumpkinland and Konata waves to the twins and Miyuki and sulks off downstairs for her train home. In the "Tsukasa cell phone" eps, school-bound Konata's always meeting the twins outside the train station to get on the school bus. Ditto the ep when fireworks-bound Kona and Yutuka in kimonos meet the twins in another train station instead of joining up together at her home station. I don't know how big Saitama is, but does it swallow several train stations? (is it true that if you line-connect all the prime L*S sites on a map that you end up with a pentagram??)
I don't know how many stations the place has I've never been there..all I do know is that it is a fact that both families live in Saitama. The place could be either titanic or tiny, I admit I have no clue, all I do know is that they both live there and they both sometimes get on the same train and sometimes do not. One episode is when they are talking about how hot it is and Konata if fanning up her skirt in front of that passenger and Kagami looks as if she is going to face palm. That's all I know.

Trust me though, it does not matter whether they get the same trains or not they all live in Saitama, so by my guess I would assume that it is a big community.
Old 2008-07-23, 15:09   Link #185
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Dee On, I think... you need to stop making American and Christian assumptions about life and culture in Japan.

If you're this interested in Lucky*Star, start reading up on cultural and daily life in Japan. You might subscribe to Peter Payne's account of his life in Japan (he's the owner of j-list.com) for starters. Visit shinto.org for some enlightenment -- most of the religions of the world are *nothing* like the Judeo-Christian-Islamic branches. Take some courses about modern Japan and its culture.

1) I sincerely doubt L*S influenced any girls to become miko. I would actually be surprised (happily though) if almost any female teen even watched the series in Japan.
Anime (especially slice-of-life-comedy about girls) is still mostly the province of single young males with little normal social life though that is changing.

2) Property is extremely valuable in Japan. The homes much less so. Most homes are completely rebuilt when a new family moves in, when there are new additions (children, new spouses), many homes are multi-generational. Property in Japan typically passes down through the matriarchal lines so its likely the oldest daughter would inherit --- but that varies.

3) Blessing new construction is traditional and simply another way to help support the cultural importance of Shinto. Priests do not typically get wealthy (often they must have a regular job in addition to their duties) except perhaps in the largest shrines.

4) There is no resemblence between the attitudes and lifestyle of american VAs with their japanese counterparts. And frankly, many american VAs love their work -- I've met Jess Harnell, Rob Paulsen, Tress Macneille, Maurice LaMarche and heard interviews with the Simpson cast. They really like what they do and they're quite flattered when people take the trouble to thank them despite them being "invisible" because American animation producers typically like to pretend they don't exist (which is why the Simpson's cast asserting some rights to the huge pile of money was so interesting).
In Japan, fans will follow a series simply because one of their favorite VAs has a role in it. The japanese animation producers really play up their VAs as part of the whole package. Though japanese VAs don't pull much salary -- their status with the fans can garner them loads of free perks (living expenses, travel costs, clothing, etc).

Equal rights in Japan is running about 20 years behind the US in cultural respects (much like their pop music seems to sound like it came from 20 years ago). It has done that as long as I've been Japan-watching (about 35 years now). Until quite recently, women in Japan look at college and careers as simply a step towards getting married and being a stay-at-home wife. They're right at about the early 1970s mark where they're saying "hey, wait a moment why do I have to quit and why can't I have THAT job if I'm qualified". Many of the men.... are like deer in the headlights still wishing for that imaginary 1950s "perfect japanese wife". Some of them are getting a clue and adapting, some are pushing back. The result is a plummet in marriage and childbirth and a rise in divorce. It isn't even really an age thing --- when I listen to many Japanese otaku 20-somethings.... they sound like my grandfather talking about women. Stodgy, stubborn, and destined to lose.
Old 2008-07-23, 17:56   Link #186
Kagami~n
I want to @#$% with--

Send a message via AIM to Kagami~n
You beat me to it Vexx, but you are far more educated than I am in the area, so it's better that it was you. I even learned a few things from that post myself. I've been reading a ton of books on Shinto lately. Its differences from the Western religions are really fascinating to me. I should check out that website too. Have you lived in Japan?

And thank you for standing up for all the awesome voice actors in both our countries!

Quote:
The glass ceiling's live 'n knee-high in Japan, uh? Awful.
What?
Old 2008-07-25, 11:05   Link #187
Amray

I found another one.

In episode 14, the Hiiragi family are watching the Japanese version of the British game show "Who Wants to be a Millionaire?". Which is actually airred in Japan and is hosted by Mino Monta (who is on the actual Television on the episode).

I watched a clip of the Japanese version of the show and realised why Kagami says "His face is always so close!" which made me laugh. I laughed even more when I found out why she said it. This clip says it all...

I couldn't believe how similar it is to the original British version. The music and sound effects are the same and everything. Also Mino Monta is one of the only hosts that hosted this game show in a different country that kept the same famous catchphrase "Is that your Final Answer?", which I thought was awesome. Even the studio looks exactly the same!
Old 2008-07-26, 23:53   Link #188
Zodiamaster

More and more...

I don't know if these ones have been posted(probably) by anybody but, in episode 13 I think, there is a reference to Code Geass, one of the manga store clerks uses the geass have konata buy a manga or a dvd, i don't remember.

Then in episode 15, well you got the blatant reference to Da Capo, including the opening song of the first season, and pictures of konata doing/wearing stuff that are "trademark" of some of the da capo girls.
Nemu's yellow ribbon , Kotori's Beret, and the picture where she's sitting on a wall is a reference to Moe, in episode 6, I believe.

Now for the least obvious "reference"(might be, might not), I don't remember in which episode, but Yutaka tells Minami that she looks great in her yukata, and she gets depressed because the yukata looks good on her because she's flat chested.
That scene reminds me of a scene in fifth episode of Uta Kata, where Michiru tells Keiko she does NOT look good in her yukata because of her huge chest, making her sad
Old 2008-07-27, 05:51   Link #189
Dee Eon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zodiamaster View Post
I don't know if these ones have been posted(probably) by anybody but, in episode 13 I think, there is a reference to Code Geass, one of the manga store clerks uses the geass have konata buy a manga or a dvd, i don't remember.

Then in episode 15, well you got the blatant reference to Da Capo, including the opening song of the first season, and pictures of konata doing/wearing stuff that are "trademark" of some of the da capo girls.
Nemu's yellow ribbon , Kotori's Beret, and the picture where she's sitting on a wall is a reference to Moe, in episode 6, I believe.

Now for the least obvious "reference"(might be, might not), I don't remember in which episode, but Yutaka tells Minami that she looks great in her yukata, and she gets depressed because the yukata looks good on her because she's flat chested.
That scene reminds me of a scene in fifth episode of Uta Kata, where Michiru tells Keiko she does NOT look good in her yukata because of her huge chest, making her sad
Sharp observations! You're shrewder most gray pandas, but it's too bad Minami feels that way, though I don't think I've seen any kimono or yukata that "enhances" one's assets, so she shouldn't be glum... Be interesting if YouTube has actual Da Capo clips of the scenes you nailed down, and even more cool to re-mix them with those actual L*S scenes.

Dee

Last edited by Dee Eon; 2008-07-27 at 06:35. Reason: sp.
Old 2008-07-28, 11:06   Link #190
Zodiamaster

Quote:
Sharp observations! You're shrewder most gray pandas, but it's too bad Minami feels that way, though I don't think I've seen any kimono or yukata that "enhances" one's assets, so she shouldn't be glum... Be interesting if YouTube has actual Da Capo clips of the scenes you nailed down, and even more cool to re-mix them with those actual L*S scenes.

Dee
No need for sarcasm, Code Geass and Da Capo references are very obvious, strangely enough nobody mentioned them and they are not in the list, so I figured they were so blatant nobody bothered to mention them, and forgot about them.

Last edited by Zodiamaster; 2008-07-28 at 11:17.
Old 2008-07-28, 12:37   Link #191
Dee Eon

Quote:
No need for sarcasm, Code Geass and Da Capo references are very obvious, strangely enough nobody mentioned them and they are not in the list, so I figured they were so blatant nobody bothered to mention them, and forgot about them.
What sarcasm? If I'm joking you'll know it! If it was so obvious to everyone and me it'd been mentioned before as you said and maybe even posted previously in References! Please don't be cynical of sincere compliments! Too many wars start that way!

Dee
Old 2008-07-28, 17:26   Link #192
Claies
Good-Natured Asshole.

Quote:

Oh? I must not have been watching Geass back then...was that a fast frame?

I think the effort in maintaining the list wore off as the series ended. It just wasn't funny looking at it more than once.

Quote:
Eh... character-centric jokes about appearances with wearing yukata are pretty widespread. It's a high chance once you have lots of girls in a festival episode, such as Honey and Clover.
Old 2008-07-31, 10:51   Link #193
Kagami~n
I want to @#$% with--

Hey, anyone else see that Lucky*Star (and Washinomiya Shrine) made the front page of The Wall Street Journal?

That's some pretty nice international recognition.
Old 2008-07-31, 11:50   Link #194
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Its a nice article overall... though there is some garish over-focus on the few otaku who dress like the Lucky*Star characters ("scores" versus "300,000" at New Years):

Quote:
Devotees Are Mainly Young Men, Who Dress Like the Characters -- in Miniskirts
Terribly misleading subtitle for the article, especially since such crossdressing doesn't really have the negativity it does outside of Japan (the negativity arises more from just being an anime fan or otaku at all). At least the pictures show the guys do a little justice to the characters unlike some of the awful examples I've seen at American cons :P

The interesting parts of the article are the interviews with the business people and the shrine folk who are just darned happy that people visit, play nice, and spend money

Last edited by Vexx; 2008-07-31 at 12:13.
Old 2008-07-31, 13:40   Link #195
Kagami~n
I want to @#$% with--

Quote:
Its a nice article overall... though there is some garish over-focus on the few otaku who dress like the Lucky*Star characters ("scores" versus "300,000" at New Years):

Terribly misleading subtitle for the article, especially since such crossdressing doesn't really have the negativity it does outside of Japan (the negativity arises more from just being an anime fan or otaku at all). At least the pictures show the guys do a little justice to the characters unlike some of the awful examples I've seen at American cons :P

The interesting parts of the article are the interviews with the business people and the shrine folk who are just darned happy that people visit, play nice, and spend money
Those were my favorite parts too. It's good to hear that the fans can be fanatic and civil at the same time. I was a little intrigued by the mention of that guidebook that some guy wrote. It wouldn't do much for me, being in America, but I still wish I could look at something like that. It sounds neat.

I figured that the article, like any other news article would exaggerate or focus on shock factor. I was still sorta surprised at how much attention they gave to the guys in skirts. Doesn't sound entirely Wall Street-ish to me. But oh well. :P
Old 2008-07-31, 15:02   Link #196
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:

It's not exactly an inaccurate portrayal of Otaku though, considering how yellow the WSJ's journalism can get. My nickname for it is the Republican Times actually and this was before Rupert Murdoch purchased it.

Quite a unique way for a small town to take advantage of visiting and spend happy Otaku. Rather than shoo them away it makes sense to use it for tourism. Lucky Star brings the Otaku and the town reaps the benefits. Just another way in which this series is like free advertising for everyone who get's involved other than Kadokawa themeselves.

Last edited by Kaioshin Sama; 2008-07-31 at 15:16.
Old 2008-07-31, 20:58   Link #197
Zodiamaster

Quote:
What sarcasm? If I'm joking you'll know it! If it was so obvious to everyone and me it'd been mentioned before as you said and maybe even posted previously in References! Please don't be cynical of sincere compliments! Too many wars start that way!

Dee
If that was in fac ta sincere compliment, thanks, I guess

And about the yutaka thing, I guess that could be true, tho I don't remember seeing something like that in other animes.
Old 2008-08-03, 13:55   Link #198
DaBigD

Hope they are not reposts

Spoiler for Ep16:
Old 2008-08-03, 15:26   Link #199
Amray

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBigD View Post
Possible reference while Kyon and Nagato are talking in the preview of episode 17. Kyon asks Nagato to "Sound more like somebody happily moving from the TV to the tearoom at 6:30 on a Sunday night." Is this somehow connected to japanese culture? Or it may be a reference, this is Lucky * Star after all.
If you want my opinion, I would say that is just Kyon being Kyon. He always was the type of character that would say something like that. Also, he did like to complain about things. It might have even been a reference to the original Suzumiya Haruhi no Yuutsu "Next Session" preview when Haruhi would say "Next Episode..6" and he would say "NO! The next episode is numer 9!". I can't remember fully but you get the general idea, right? He liked to shout a lot in the previews on Haruhi so it might just be the same thing here. Not sure.
Old 2008-08-05, 04:06   Link #200
Toomz
Registered vagabond

Someone may have already mentioned this (prolly not), and I apologize for repeating if they did.

I think it's in episode 4, when Konata is at home trying to study, but then get's distracted and decides to read some manga. I may be wrong, but the little figure on her desk reminds me of Akuma from Street Fighter. Well, that's what I thought when I saw this. I'm prolly looking too much into the references this show makes, but with Lucky Star ya never know!

Last edited by Toomz; 2008-08-05 at 04:18.
Closed Thread