AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Haruhi Suzumiya

Notices

View Poll Results: Suzumiya Haruhi (2009) - Episode 08 Rating
Perfect 10 31 11.19%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 9 3.25%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 16 5.78%
7 out of 10 : Good 15 5.42%
6 out of 10 : Average 14 5.05%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 11 3.97%
4 out of 10 : Poor 9 3.25%
3 out of 10 : Bad 8 2.89%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 13 4.69%
1 out of 10 : Painful 151 54.51%
Voters: 277. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2009-08-05, 19:25   Link #581
JagdPanther
WE ARE.... PENN STATE....

Send a message via AIM to JagdPanther
It's... it's like a train wreck. I just can't look away even though I know how bad it is.

Avatar v. 37.0: Fighter Squadron 31. The VF-31 "Tomcatters."
Old 2009-08-05, 19:26   Link #582
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bri View Post
This makes it a lot easier to explain. The most important difference between the sampling methods you mentioned and the poll on this site is sample contamination. The poll results here can be viewed before you make a decission while the researcher in your examples can control for that (to a degree at least). Each person in those polls does not know what others have voted so will most likely give their true opinion ( or at least that is what is hoped). What happens with the E8 episode polls is that interest groups are formed. Voters do not give their true opinion but start to behave strategically, hence the spread between 1s and 10s. Essentially the poll gets hijacked by interest groups. Some want to change the directon, some want to defend it, others just like to stir a little controversy etc. Also voters may not be potential buyers at all.

This problem is one of the main reasons why referendums are used so sparcely, as they are very vulnerable to incentives and pressure groups.
Those are really good points, I must admit. However, I'm honestly inclined to think that the strategic voting is benefiting Endless Eight defenders the most - I've noticed that 1s tend to pile up first, and then 10s come after; almost like a strategic response to the 1s. That's just my own personal take, though.

While these polls are not as solid as we would like (for the reasons that you say), I think that they can at the very least let us legitimately say "At least half of Anime Suki's voting viewers hate Endless Eight". I think it's safe to say that anybody who votes a 1 either hates the individual episode, or hates the arc concept, or both. They may be underscoring it a bit for dramatic effect (i.e. voting a 1 instead of a 2 or a 3 or a 4 or even a 5), but the key that we can take form this is that... the 1 voters really don't like Endless Eight. That much is obvious.

I'll admit though that this might be all we can take from these polls.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverMaster View Post
Ah, Derailed by Darry. Brings me memories of Code Geass' run. So many millions of Gay Lelouch jokes... so many millions...
LOL I might take a look at some of his earlier blogs. I've only read his Haruhi reviews personally. OTOH, maybe I shouldn't look at his earlier blogs since...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin Sama View Post
Terrible blog. He just makes the same jokes over and over again. It stopped being funny years ago.

That said Endless Eight is like a blessing for him because he gets to finally put all of his hackery off on something else and almost make it kind of work. The subject actually warrants repetition.
Well, I find his blog style perfect for reviewing Endless Eight, but if he uses the same style with other anime, then yeah... that could get old.

Also, his blog (at least for Haruhi) is popular, so I thought it might be worth pointing towards to show how people are simply getting bored with this, and really cracking jokes at it.
Old 2009-08-05, 19:32   Link #583
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Ah yes, Derailed by Darry. Home of the "Broken", Capital of meme generation outside of 2ch/4chan, and general long standing blog to amuse the blogger himself.
Old 2009-08-05, 19:43   Link #584
ikaroh

Sure it sucks to have the same episode repeated 7+ (hopefully 8) times, but I'm sure we'll be able to laugh about it when it's all over. I know I will.

I will cry foul if they don't ever get around to Disappearance though.
Old 2009-08-05, 19:43   Link #585
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post

Also, his blog (at least for Haruhi) is popular, so I thought it might be worth pointing towards to show how people are simply getting bored with this, and really cracking jokes at it.
No, that's actually just Jason. He more or less rights as a reflection of what his (broken) readers are thinking and as Ithekro said to amuse himself. I guarantee you he's not bored at all. I don't even think he gets bored. Short attention span maybe, but not bored.

Anyway I failed to mention this before, but I like how the most detailed shot of the episode is probably that one of Haruhi's ass. For the company that supposedly doesn't like fanservice that was an pretty heroic effort.
Old 2009-08-05, 19:46   Link #586
kniteowl

I just rewatched this episode again... watching it once is already enough torture lol...

Anyway at around 4:23 minutes, there's a scene where Kyon is staring at Haruhi's ass with a Straight face.

How can he stare at that ass with a straight face... :S was it more of a glare because Haruhi complained about him being tired after forcing him to speed on his bike?
Old 2009-08-05, 19:50   Link #587
Triple_R
*Author

Quote:
No, that's actually just Jason. He more or less rights as a reflection of what his (broken) readers are thinking and as Ithekro said to amuse himself. I guarantee you he's not bored at all. I don't even think he gets bored. Short attention span maybe, but not bored.

Anyway I failed to mention this before, but I like how the most detailed shot of the episode is probably that one of Haruhi's ass. For the company that supposedly doesn't like fanservice that was an pretty heroic effort.
Thanks for the info, and great points. That butt shot is mesmerizing. Such a glorious shot in so many ways. A fanservice shot that makes the character not only look sexy, but powerful and cool as well.

I have to admit that the one thing Endless Eight is good for (aside from butt shots) is sheer comedy. It's funny how I'm on a roller coaster ride going from outrage to disappointment to just laughing at the absurdity of it all to actually thinking twice about it and then back to outrage to begin it all again...

kniteowl - I found that absolutely bizarre myself. He's actually glaring at her butt as though he was trying to stare her down... ha ha!

Last edited by Triple_R; 2009-08-05 at 19:53. Reason: Edit for kniteowl
Old 2009-08-05, 20:45   Link #588
Charred Knight

Quote:

When has KyoAni ever said they hate Fanservice?

I mean Suzumiya Haruhi had the playboy bunny scene and Mikuru's main purpose is Fanservice.

K-On is nothing but passive Fanservice.

I mean sure they have never made something like Queen's Blade or Juuden Chan but they do clearly love their hot chicks.
Old 2009-08-05, 20:56   Link #589
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

Quote:
Originally Posted by ikaroh View Post
Sure it sucks to have the same episode repeated 7+ (hopefully 8) times, but I'm sure we'll be able to laugh about it when it's all over. I know I will.
I think most peoples response will be "meh".

Quote:
What else are you gonna do?

Also, Haruhi's ass seems to be getting allot of attention this season.
Old 2009-08-05, 21:08   Link #590
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charred Knight View Post
When has KyoAni ever said they hate Fanservice?

I mean Suzumiya Haruhi had the playboy bunny scene and Mikuru's main purpose is Fanservice.

K-On is nothing but passive Fanservice.

I mean sure they have never made something like Queen's Blade or Juuden Chan but they do clearly love their hot chicks.
"Kyoani doesn't like fanservice" is one of those fan made myths that I'm trying to bust. Now if I could just get my beret and grow a beard......
Old 2009-08-05, 21:13   Link #591
Triple_R
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by kniteowl View Post
I just rewatched this episode again... watching it once is already enough torture lol...

Anyway at around 4:23 minutes, there's a scene where Kyon is staring at Haruhi's ass with a Straight face.

How can he stare at that ass with a straight face... :S was it more of a glare because Haruhi complained about him being tired after forcing him to speed on his bike?
Quote:
"Kyoani doesn't like fanservice" is one of those fan made myths that I'm trying to bust. Now if I could just get my beret and grow a beard......
Haruhi has fanservice - it's just usually of a more... flows well with the narrative kind. The narrative naturally gives rise to the fanservice, as opposed to the fanservice being randomly inserted into the narrative. This is actually something I'll give KyoAni and the Haruhi novel producers credit for - they know how to handle fanservice with out having it upset the narrative.

Not that they care much about narratives these days... *ahem*...
Old 2009-08-05, 21:22   Link #592
Myssa Rei
Moderate Haruhiist

Send a message via ICQ to Myssa Rei Send a message via Yahoo to Myssa Rei
Red face

Quote:
KyoAni has always had fanservice, just the unobtrusive kind (Mikuru dressed as a bunny girl because she's in a production that requires her to dress as a bunny girl). None of this "and suddenly... BOOBS" or "and then... PANTSU!" that some companies love to do.
Old 2009-08-05, 21:29   Link #593
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Their versions either fit the situation or the location rather than being totally randomly inserted. Even Fumoffo's total fanservice episode was based on location rather than just randomly inserted into the show. Hot Springs...of course they are going to be naked.
Old 2009-08-05, 23:27   Link #594
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Just found this on ANN

I like the fact that they have to announce it in Newtype (once again it's Kadokawa's magazine announcing it like it's hot news and they are doing a service) that the arc is ending. Why is it being announced? Who knows, it's Kadokawa. In any case, it looks like they are indeed doing the gimmicky 8 episodes. Why 8 episodes exactly for Kyon to figure out what to do about this? Cause Kadokawa/Kyoani is just that literal more than likely. I have to laugh.

Oh and if you've picked up on the fact that the Magazine actually comes out after the arc is supposed to end then you have something else to lol at.
Old 2009-08-05, 23:38   Link #595
Heminga13
Wannabe Sleuth

Well, it looks like everything is indeed pointing towards it ending. I look forward to watching it when it airs!
Old 2009-08-05, 23:40   Link #596
Eak
One angry cloud.

Quote:
Just found this on ANN

I like the fact that they have to announce it in Newtype (once again it's Kadokawa's magazine announcing it like it's hot news and they are doing a service) that the arc is ending. Why is it being announced? Who knows, it's Kadokawa. In any case, it looks like they are indeed doing the gimmicky 8 episodes. Why 8 episodes exactly for Kyon to figure out what to do about this? Cause Kadokawa/Kyoani is just that literal more than likely. I have to laugh.

Oh and if you've picked up on the fact that the Magazine actually comes out after the arc is supposed to end then you have something else to lol at.
I will laugh so hard if they lie and it loops again.
Old 2009-08-05, 23:40   Link #597
StarRodMan

The mere fact than a story arc is ending makes the news.

Hahaha, that's saying something about this arc!
Old 2009-08-05, 23:41   Link #598
OkamiNoKaze

at this point 8 episodes for Endless 8 is too predictable, Haruhi isn't supposed to be predictable. By the way have they gone through all their animation teams yet? I still have the feeling that the true second season didn't turn out how they wanted, and they decided on this to buy time while they go back and make it better. Maybe they had a contest between teams to see who could make the best part II episode or something, and had all these episodes just laying on the cutting room afterward.
Old 2009-08-05, 23:41   Link #599
chikorita157
ひきこもりアイドル
*IT Support

Hope is true... I'm sick of these loops since it's the same... A ending, regardless what it is will be a breath of fresh air...

But, even if Endless Eight loop ends, I still bet the fans will still rage about the ending and how long it took..
Old 2009-08-05, 23:44   Link #600
Heminga13
Wannabe Sleuth

Eight episodes fits with the symbolism. The DVDs indicate it will end at eight. Newtype is indeed running a feature on it after the arc will have finished. There's not much evidence to support it won't end.
Closed Thread