AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2008-10-14, 22:49   Link #41
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

This was a pleasant surprise; it might raise the number of series I'm following this season to three (if we do eventually get subs for Mouryou no Hako). I watched the opening episodes from half a dozen new shows; this is the only one so far that deserves another viewing. I enjoy shows with a strong Japanese cultural grounding like Kurozuka. I find the modern urban shows, especially the ones set in high-schools, rather generic. They often feel like they could be transported to a city in some other industrialized country without losing much in the translation. Obviously that's not the case here.

I thought this was one of the best animation efforts I've seen from Madhouse since Dennou Coil, though the styles are obviously poles apart.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-14, 23:21   Link #42
heyyu
The Optimistic Nihilist

To anyone who has read the manga, can you sum up the story and tell me the ending? You can PM me with the ending, thanks!
heyyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-15, 07:24   Link #43
kilroy0097
Michiko Malandro = Sexy

Wow this is a must see series this season. Kurozuka has a wonderfully complex plotline already not to mention good blade action, religious undertones, supernatural enemies, secret societies and vampires/immortals.

This first episode was nothing but a win for me. I look forward to many more to follow.

BTW, Romi PAKU is voicing Kuromitsu which is even more of a bonus.
kilroy0097 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-15, 11:32   Link #44
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

Episode two was also great. And I love the ED song by Shigi, which is in a totally different style from the even better OP. ED animation not so interesting, but still okay.

Yes, the look of the anime is clearer than the look of the manga, but (1) that's normal, (2) it's helping make the anime watchable by people like me who don't read this sort of manga. I read a bit of it, but the look made it hard for me to read. I think they have done a wonderful job of making the story work in anime, at least so far.

Paku Romi and Miyano Mamoru continue to be godly.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-15, 13:28   Link #45
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Deathkillz
ep 2
Spoiler:

Siggy: hohohohoho~ | AnimeHistory welcome to our blog ~ | Summer2009 early review
Under the radar series Summer2009: Kanamemo, GA Geijutsuka Art, NEEDLESS
Deathkillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-15, 14:13   Link #46
vspirit
...huh?

Funnily enough, I understand the events better now that they are in anime format as compared to when they are in manga format. I was already quite lost indeed during this part early in the manga. And I continued in this vein right up until I finally gave up. >.< This decides it then. The anime's a keeper for me.
vspirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-15, 17:45   Link #47
Tiberium Wolf

Damn! Some differences from the manga in both story and art. Really! Those matrix moves were awesome.
Old 2008-10-16, 08:03   Link #48
Fevvers
a regular van veen

Best first episode I've seen so far for this season (haven't yet watched Michiko and Hatchin, but eagerly anticipating). I was expecting something like Shigurui, albeit it wasn't quite what I expected, it sure is very well-directed regardless.

Need next episode NAAW!
Fevvers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-16, 10:27   Link #49
Ryo.Massaki

Best show this season, without a doubt. I really like it.
Ryo.Massaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-16, 11:11   Link #50
Echoes

Fantastic first episode, just such a pure joy to watch with stunning visuals and a promising premise.
Old 2008-10-16, 13:17   Link #51
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoru Chujo View Post
Episode two was also great. And I love the ED song by Shigi, which is in a totally different style from the even better OP. ED animation not so interesting, but still okay.

Yes, the look of the anime is clearer than the look of the manga, but (1) that's normal, (2) it's helping make the anime watchable by people like me who don't read this sort of manga. I read a bit of it, but the look made it hard for me to read. I think they have done a wonderful job of making the story work in anime, at least so far.

Paku Romi and Miyano Mamoru continue to be godly.
Characters designs strongly recall Death Note, for me.

ITA about Paku Romi. What a stud of an actress she is.

Edit: you know, it's funny - posting this got to me to checking out her credits again, just to refresh myself on the litany of great roles Paku Romi has played. Lo and behold, I never realized she played Shimizu Taiga in S3 of "Major" - a snarky, brash 15 year-old boy that was the breath of fresh air that made that season intermittently enjoyable. What range - so different from even the male roles she's played, yet perfectly brought to life. No one else could have uttered the line "Sorry - I only date girls younger than me" and made it the Kodak moment of the season...
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-16, 14:14   Link #52
phishn37
Time to fly ~ !

It's been a while since I've seen a genuinely dark and gloomy anime like this. The character designs are great, and the animation seems above average also. The OP is very cool, very Death Note-like.
phishn37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-16, 14:37   Link #53
servidor

I have a question, on the first episode Yamatobou (Benkei) arrives to a red flower field. What is the name of that flower, I have seen it asociated to death and funerals, it is the same flower that appears in the first ending of InuYasha, Kikyo also arrives to a field with the same flower.
servidor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-16, 23:12   Link #54
vspirit
...huh?

Er...dunno. Chrysanthemums? They're flowers that represent death in certain Asian cultures (mainly Chinese and Japanese).
Old 2008-10-17, 00:48   Link #55
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

Quote:
Originally Posted by servidor View Post
I have a question, on the first episode Yamatobou (Benkei) arrives to a red flower field. What is the name of that flower, I have seen it asociated to death and funerals, it is the same flower that appears in the first ending of InuYasha, Kikyo also arrives to a field with the same flower.
I searched around and it is apparently called higan-bana, manjushage, and many other names, including shibito-bana (dead-person flower) and yuurei-bana (ghost flower), and is indeed associated with cemeteries. It's called "red spider-lily" in English.

Here is a web page about it, with more photos.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-17, 04:15   Link #56
Yu Ominae
ARCAM Spriggan agent

Send a message via Yahoo to Yu Ominae
Kinda ouch on the 2nd episode

Spoiler for Benkei's fate:

Even if we were at odds with each other, I still thank you for training me, Instructor Bowman - Yu Ominae, reflecting on Bowman's death after killing him in Phantom Island
Yu Ominae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-17, 05:49   Link #57
NoOneKnowS
Who am I?

Just finished "skimming"(/you know, not reading just looking at it; sex scenes and all that lol); This'll be a really confusing series if you'd ask me.

Aside from Tytania and Casshern; This is one really over underrated series this season that I'm following.

Madhouse is the studio animating this right? were they the same group that did "Claymore"? /sorry can't researched right now; busy playing games lol.
NoOneKnowS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-17, 06:10   Link #58
kamikazex

o man......intense
kamikazex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-17, 10:15   Link #59
vspirit
...huh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoru Chujo View Post
I searched around and it is apparently called higan-bana, manjushage, and many other names, including shibito-bana (dead-person flower) and yuurei-bana (ghost flower), and is indeed associated with cemeteries. It's called "red spider-lily" in English.

Here is a web page about it, with more photos.
hoooooh...naruhodo. thanks for the info. it's pretty, albeit creepy.
Old 2008-10-17, 15:56   Link #60
Lilith
Your average fangirl

I didn't even think the rose actually exists haha.

I'm a typical girl who dislikes violence and likes romance. This show mixed them in an interesting way which I'm liking so far.

The character design is different from the manga, but it's still great. Kuro is so hot and Kuromitsu is really beautiful. The whole artwork is wonderful (Madhouse ).

Paku Romi is definitely a talented woman. How can the punk girl Nana Osaki (NANA) and this sexy lady have the same voice actor?! Now I like Miyano Mamoru and admit he has talent, but I don't think he's suited for Kuro at all. He's too... "young". I think someone older with deeper voice would be better.

I only watched episode 1. The man hung upside down who Kuromitsu was "licking" is Benkei?

Tags
madhouse, vampire