AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > One Piece

Notices

Old 2012-07-10, 12:49   Link #1
marvelB

One Piece Romance Dawn: Start of an Adventure (PSP/3DS)

Surprise! Looks like Kaizoku Musou/Pirate Warriors won't be the ONLY OP game to be released this year! A new OP game is in development for the PSP, and it's an RPG, to boot! I'm not sure how far it'll go storyline-wise, but it's been confirmed that it'll start from the East Blue arcs. My guess is that it'll go up to the point of the timeskip like Pirate Warriors. Here's the first scan for the game:

Spoiler:

Definitely looks cool! We won't have too long to wait either, as the game will be released this winter! Still, I'm unsure about the chances of this being localized..... We may be getting Pirate Warriors since it's a simple action game, but an RPG is a different story......
marvelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-10, 17:39   Link #2
Rainbowman

For me, RPGs are too slow for me story-wise. Give me an Action Game any time.
Rainbowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-10, 23:26   Link #3
SOGESNAKE
NEW WORLD BABY~!

Send a message via MSN to SOGESNAKE
That's funny.... they've actually been hinting at a One Piece PSP game for years, hell.... long before Gigant Battle was release~
Old 2012-07-11, 09:11   Link #4
marvelB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainbowman View Post
For me, RPGs are too slow for me story-wise. Give me an Action Game any time.

RPG games are pretty much my crack, but I do see where you're coming from. Personally, I would have been cool with a PSP or Vita port of Pirate Warriors (the graphics would have been downgraded in the former, but it would still be fun, IMO), but frankly, we're lucky to get an anime-licensed PSP game that ISN'T a visual novel (and trust me..... there's a bunch of them). That's why I'm glad to see that we've got this coming along with the Hunter X Hunter action game (and of course the Jojo fighting game for the PS3 ).

That being said, I wonder how the battle system will be? I mean, I know the screenshots show that it's menu-based like most games of the genre, but I'm wondering if it'll have stuff like button-timing combo attacks (like in the Mario RPG games)?
Old 2012-07-12, 11:23   Link #5
Kona
Banned

This game can't be that good especially on a PSP. Expecting a great experience from a OP game can't be possible. Look at Gigant Battle 2, yeah they added new features but it still wasn't enough.
Kona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-12, 12:57   Link #6
marvelB

^Mind you, I'm not expecting it to be a masterpiece myself, but it doesn't really NEED to be one as long as it's fun. And to be perfectly frank, I've been getting more enjoyment out of my PSP lately than from any of the "big" console releases....

Actually, speaking of PSP and RPGs, I think it would be cool if the battle system were something like Last Ranker's. I always liked how that title's battle system felt sort of like a fighting game's (you could even manually block and counter attacks, which is really cool, IMO). But yeah, I know I probably shouldn't get my hopes up so high......
Old 2012-07-12, 13:27   Link #7
Kona
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvelB View Post
^Mind you, I'm not expecting it to be a masterpiece myself, but it doesn't really NEED to be one as long as it's fun. And to be perfectly frank, I've been getting more enjoyment out of my PSP lately than from any of the "big" console releases....

Actually, speaking of PSP and RPGs, I think it would be cool if the battle system were something like Last Ranker's. I always liked how that title's battle system felt sort of like a fighting game's (you could even manually block and counter attacks, which is really cool, IMO). But yeah, I know I probably shouldn't get my hopes up so high......
Don't get me wrong Gigant Battle 2 was fun but there could of been more stages and the support characters could of been playable just like the other casts. It won't be a few years for another one because of the upcoming Arcs. Kaizoku is a huge disappointment as well. They gave you a small amount of characters to play, No online and a limited moveset. Yeah let's go play that .

The PSP version doesn't look fun but they have to sacrifice something to make this game somewhat playable.
Kona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-13, 10:00   Link #8
marvelB

Personally, I wish that there was a sequel to that GBA One Piece game that Dimps made eons ago (which was, interestingly, only released in the USA!). Again, it wasn't the greatest, but I felt it did a lot of things right (nice 2D visuals, simple, fun gameplay, a translation that was ironically more faithful to the source material than the horrid 4Kids dub (which was still running at the time the game was released)). The only real gripes I had with it was that Luffy was the only playable character (the other Straw-Hats were only used as assist characters), and the story only reached as far as the end of the East Blue saga. In an ideal world, I'd love to see a sequel that covers the beginning of the Grand Line adventures up to the Marineford arc, but once again, I'm not getting my hopes up too high.....

As for Pirate Warriors, I'm not really surprised that the player roster is pretty low (that's where the inevitable sequel(s) will come in to beef up the cast), but my only real disappointment is that they axed levels based on Skypiea and Thriller Bark (there's also the Davy Back Fight, but I think I'm the only one who'd care about that). That's why I'm hoping this RPG will at least cover more ground storyline-wise than these other games since that's a genre with a stronger emphasis on story in the first place....
Old 2012-07-13, 16:31   Link #9
Rainbowman

Quote:
As for Pirate Warriors, I'm not really surprised that the player roster is pretty low (that's where the inevitable sequel(s) will come in to beef up the cast), but my only real disappointment is that they axed levels based on Skypiea and Thriller Bark (there's also the Davy Back Fight, but I think I'm the only one who'd care about that). That's why I'm hoping this RPG will at least cover more ground storyline-wise than these other games since that's a genre with a stronger emphasis on story in the first place....
If there is to be a sequel, I hope it's more of a remake of Pirate Warriors itself for ALL consoles with the following updates:

New playable characters
New enemies and bosses
Added story levels
Character biography and gallery (including mini-story characters)
DLC content of non canon events and characters from anime fillers (such as Warship Island, Rainbow Mist, Ocean's Dream, etc.), movies (such as Dead End Adventure, Curse of the Sacred Sword, Strong World, etc.), and video games (such as Round the Land featuring Blyue with his shrinking powers, Big Secret Treasure of the Seven Phantom Islands featuring Simon with his paper powers, Unlimited Adventure and Unlimited Cruise)

As for the second half of the One Piece story in video games, we would have to wait until there are enough events (including its final arc) to see it entirely.
Rainbowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-14, 09:23   Link #10
marvelB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainbowman View Post
If there is to be a sequel, I hope it's more of a remake of Pirate Warriors itself

That pretty much describes Dynasty Warriors sequels in general.

But I actually DO like the idea of adding non-canon events like the movies to the sequels. That way we actually get more content rather than having to wait 2-3 years at a time for the next manga storyline to end. And hey, we get to have guys like Shiki and Z as bosses, which is cool.

Actually, it wouldn't be a bad idea to add those storylines to this RPG game, as well.....

Edit: Oh hey, I notice Aohige posted this over at AP:

Quote:
Actually, it specifically states it's not "just a simple turn-based battle".
And that details on battle system will come soon.

Hey, maybe this means that it WILL have a Last Ranker-style battle system after all.....

Last edited by marvelB; 2012-07-14 at 09:39.
Old 2012-07-23, 09:48   Link #11
marvelB

Just a friendly bump to let you guys know that the game's first trailer is out, which even has gameplay footage:

Old 2012-07-23, 19:49   Link #12
ntherblast

This doesn't look like it wil go far into the story probably up the arc where he meets buggy? Seems disappointing considering how far the anime is
ntherblast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-24, 00:25   Link #13
SOGESNAKE
NEW WORLD BABY~!

What I find interesting is how those battles went... I don't think it'll be a turn based RPG. Maybe it'll go down like the Tales of series does it where if you run into an enemy, your entered into a small area to fight them.
Old 2012-07-24, 01:42   Link #14
Rawrz
Redbeard Has Blood Logia!

I always thought what those anime games lack was Final Fantasy like turn based gameplay, enhanced visual animations and original music from series.

I was surprised when I read RPG, but after seeing trailer gameply its meh...
Apparently this new game's not adding anything new as always. Just your everyday kill everything on screen with your favourite anime character with some kiddish music playing in background game...
Old 2012-07-24, 10:30   Link #15
marvelB

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntherblast View Post
This doesn't look like it wil go far into the story probably up the arc where he meets buggy? Seems disappointing considering how far the anime is

Really, it wouldn't be fair to make that assumption from the first trailer alone. Besides, a game that goes from the Morgan to Buggy arcs would be a little too short, don't you think? I mean, even that GBA game I mentioned earlier covered the ENTIRE East Blue saga, at least.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rawrz View Post
Just your everyday kill everything on screen with your favourite anime character with some kiddish music playing in background game...

You mean Pirate Warriors?

But apparently, it's not going to be a regular turn-based system, if Aohige's translation from before is correct. I'm still hoping that it's something like Last Ranker's battle system. Here's a video to show you what I'm talking about:

I wish I could find a better example, but I'm not in the mood to comb through every inch of youtube right now. Anyways, LR has a sort of pseudo real-time battle system where you can guard AND counter enemy attacks (you don't learn the latter skill until a bit later in the game, though). It's actually pretty fun! Too bad that particular game was never localized, though..... I also notice that the upcoming Time and Eternity (which is also made by Imageepoch) seems to use a somewhat similar battle system. At least, I'd sure like it if this OP game had this sort of gameplay.....

Last edited by marvelB; 2012-07-24 at 10:56.
Old 2012-07-24, 11:35   Link #16
ntherblast

It's just that if I was advertising a game I would show stuff that would interest players such as gear 2nd/3rd not the opening arcs at least mix it up
Old 2012-07-24, 13:25   Link #17
marvelB

^I think you need to remember that it's clear from the game's title alone that there would be emphasis on the earlier storylines. So even if it does extend to the Grand Line adventures, the whole point of the plot is that we're following Luffy's adventures from the very beginning. There's no point establishing that fact if the opening trailers exclusively focus on footage from later, action-heavy arcs like Enies Lobby or Marineford.
Old 2012-07-24, 19:21   Link #18
ntherblast

Quote:
^I think you need to remember that it's clear from the game's title alone that there would be emphasis on the earlier storylines. So even if it does extend to the Grand Line adventures, the whole point of the plot is that we're following Luffy's adventures from the very beginning. There's no point establishing that fact if the opening trailers exclusively focus on footage from later, action-heavy arcs like Enies Lobby or Marineford.
And thats what I said in my earlier post. The earlier arcs don't really introduce much for gameplay because there are barely any abilities and most of the enemies are boring this opinion though
Old 2012-07-24, 23:38   Link #19
SOGESNAKE
NEW WORLD BABY~!

Quote:

It could be much like that Dragonball Z: Attack of the Saiyan's DS game where it covered everything from just before the World Tournament, to after Vegeta/Nappa attacked the planet.

Sooooo, in terms of this... I'd think we'd only get afew arcs.... maybe up to the Grand Line.... only in alooooot of detail~
Old 2012-07-28, 11:48   Link #20
marvelB

Oh hey, check this out:

http://www.shopto.net/PS%20VITA/VIDE...e%20Piece.html

Hmm, this may mean the game WILL be released in Europe, then? But in that case, I find the 21/09/2012 release date to be rather perplexing, since the Japanese version was already slated to be released this winter (at no specific date so far). It's most likely a mistake, but it does make one curious.....

Tags
psp, rpg