AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > Naruto/Boruto

Notices

View Poll Results: Will Naruto get licensed at Animeexpo2004 ?
Yes 0 0%
No 1 100.00%
Voters: 1. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2004-02-27, 12:16   Link #1
Mendietta

Eventually when Naruto gets lic'd..? [merged=9]

my friends have been panicking all morning regarding rumours that naruto has been licensed. YES, in Philippines, NO to the rest of the world afaik...

just thought id let peeps know ^^;

<edited for bad spelling of the philippines... my mother would shoot me if she found out :S >
Old 2004-02-27, 12:43   Link #2
Feran
>.>;; o.o

Yeah right. The phillipines are too poor to license anything xP

And why? Because they were soo begging for their independence, and without the american economy to back them up, we have all these accursed coups and all this other crap.

Rumours are rumours =P
Old 2004-02-27, 13:16   Link #3
ElvenPath
a step away from heaven

Well Naruto is scheduled to air for the first time outside Japan in the Phillipines on March 1st so yes, it's definitely licensed over there.
Old 2004-02-27, 13:19   Link #4
Feran
>.>;; o.o

Nooooo!!! *cries* the horror >.<

ah, well, at least i have a job..

EDIT- Question. Is only the first season going to be licensed? And we can still watch the new ones? *ignorant of the legal boundaries of licensing*
Old 2004-02-27, 13:23   Link #5
Bun-kun
Liberal Screamer

Send a message via AIM to Bun-kun
Well it's being license in the phillipines, don't they speack spanish?? so as long as it's not license in the USA(most likely place for court action) I think we should be fine
Old 2004-02-27, 13:25   Link #6
Prince of Chronics
One Piece fan

yo... the show is indeed gonna be shown there.... but it's not gonna be in english.... so yeah.... you shouldn't worry about our fansubs stoppin....

anyone ever seen voltes v with filipino dubs? worst dubs ever!
Old 2004-02-27, 13:34   Link #7
realdeal
The Real Deal

cool is its gonna be dub in filipino too? I hope not, lol. The jap voice actors are really good.
Old 2004-02-27, 14:27   Link #8
Mendietta

aight enough filippino bashing ¬¬ *is filippino*

obviously you have no clue about the philippines...
fact: philippines is the third largest english speaking country in the world (in terms of percentage of the population who speak it) after england and america.

There is a HUGE anime fanbase in the philippines, so the probability of naruto being in english is unlikely, since it will be aimed at kids so it will be in tagalog (the native language of the philippines NOT spanish ¬¬ ). and yes, filippino dubbing is poor.
^^ thank god for being in the uk
Old 2004-02-27, 14:33   Link #9
Prince of Chronics
One Piece fan

it's only cuz the americans were in control for a while..... english had to be adopted......... i ain't bashing i was orginally from there....... but straight up.... filipino dubbed (just like most dubs, imo) anime sucks ass.... and u can't tell me otherwise cuz I've seen em when I lived there in the 80s and when I visited a few years ago.... terrible..
Old 2004-02-27, 15:05   Link #10
fenikkusu

Send a message via AIM to fenikkusu
watch what u say before u bash any place... no they dont speak spanish .. main language is tagolag..along wiht about another seperate 1000 other native languages...about 1 for every island if u want to think of it that way, most filipinos speak about 3 languages besides english .. 2.. no they r not dirt poor, there r sum places worse of then others but for example they had camera phones about a year n 1/2 before america had them ... 3 .. they did not want to boot america out .. it was a few high ups that thought it would be good for the people and ended up loosing a bunch of jobs over it becuase the leaders wher retarted..the peopled didnt want america out..also america isnt even out .. we still have good relations with philippines .. 4.. they would not be to poor to liscence anime .. like i said they r not poor and anime is very very popular over there ... they get alot of animes that r still in production ... it may be dubbed and it may be subbed over there .. but its not a big deal that naruto would be liscenced in Philippines.... they get many japanese anime ... so no reason to panic ..any anime that will do good would most likely start to be showing in philippines .. but just think before any of u people open yur mouth again i know there r filipino's on this board ... it just makes u sound retarted
Old 2004-02-27, 15:18   Link #11
Lexander
www.thefestlanders.com

Red face

What just happend up here ^? (i agree with feran on phillipines being poor though, i think you're just following your bias and dismissing some facts. + camera phones don't determine a country's economy)

Anyways ... i do hope that the US doesn't get any ideas from this :/, It'b be a major pain , me <3 naruto so much i'd have to buy.
Old 2004-02-27, 15:18   Link #12
wnkryo
HainShodan

Even if it it lisenced over thier you still can download it at animesuki.
Old 2004-02-27, 15:29   Link #13
OhJustSomeRandomGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenikkusu
watch what u say before u bash any place... no they dont speak spanish .. main language is tagolag..along wiht about another seperate 1000 other native languages...about 1 for every island if u want to think of it that way, most filipinos speak about 3 languages besides english .. 2.. no they r not dirt poor, there r sum places worse of then others but for example they had camera phones about a year n 1/2 before america had them ... 3 .. they did not want to boot america out .. it was a few high ups that thought it would be good for the people and ended up loosing a bunch of jobs over it becuase the leaders wher retarted..the peopled didnt want america out..also america isnt even out .. we still have good relations with philippines .. 4.. they would not be to poor to liscence anime .. like i said they r not poor and anime is very very popular over there ... they get alot of animes that r still in production ... it may be dubbed and it may be subbed over there .. but its not a big deal that naruto would be liscenced in Philippines.... they get many japanese anime ... so no reason to panic ..any anime that will do good would most likely start to be showing in philippines .. but just think before any of u people open yur mouth again i know there r filipino's on this board ... it just makes u sound retarted
I don't think you've read enough into the history of what happened there.

http://countrystudies.us/philippines/13.htm

(From the US Library of Congress)

The Philippines were trying to get free from the Spanish. So the Americans came in because the discord was bad for businesses. As victory neared, the Americans refused to give the Filipinos any assurances that they would be independent after all of this. Once the kicked the Spaniards out, the US just took over. Which is kind of annoying if you're the Filipinos. You just fight this huge war for independence, only to have your "allies" come in and sign a secret handshake deal with the "enemy" to basically have them give them YOUR country. How would YOU react if YOU all riled up to rebel for indepence only to find that all that changed was that you were under the control of someone entirely new?

Say if like the US/French overthrew England only to have France claim all of a weakened America for itself? That'd be kind of messed up, don't you think?

Anyway, what people don't remember is that after the Japanese attacked Pearl Harbor, they TOOK the Philippines afterwards. The reason the Filipinions kicked everyone out of their lands? Nobody was protecting them ANYWAY! They just kept getting jacked, and they figured "if we're going to get screwed, it may as well be our way."
Old 2004-02-27, 17:13   Link #14
ElvenPath
a step away from heaven

Do I need to remind you all that flaming or starting fights will be severely sanctioned. Let's stay on-topic please
Old 2004-02-27, 19:41   Link #15
kujoe
from head to heel

Here we go again. First of all, I'm not starting an argument. I just want to clarify a few things. I'm not even into Naruto, but obviously I just had to say something.

- Spanish is not our national language. It lost its prominence as proceeding generations began adopting the English language during the years of American occupation. You'll still see traces of Spanish culture though--especially with regard to religion and to certain mestizo families. Actually more Filipinos speak Chinese compared to Spanish. The national language is Tagalog, but that's an ongoing debate within other circles.

- Yes we're poor. Cry me a river. But also remember why there was such a thing called the spice trade in the first place, and for that matter, why the West had a such a huge interest with the Orient as a whole. In the end, some Asian nations fared well. Too bad for us--but there were other things that happened. For example, the Marcos dictatorship.

- Mobile phones with built-in cameras are not signifiers for national wealth. It just means that there's a market over here.

- And yes, anime exists here for better or for worse. In fact some of the shows that gained hype in some countries were old news among Filipino fans then. It's just that they'd rather stick to the old ones nowadays, so in terms of what's recent I'm not really sure. English dubs are actually worse sometimes. Tagalog is bad too. However, the only Tagalog dub that I ever liked was for the Rayearth series--relatively good translation and acceptable acting.

Having been colonized three times (Spain, US & Japan) has left serious and implicit repurcussions on Filipino society. English for instance has served to further separate the classes. (Hell, English is my first language, and it's not even my mother tongue.) This is compounded by the fact that there are several dialects in this country, so go figure. Ironically there are times when we're even foreigners amongst ourselves. So yes--the mess that we're facing now can be studied in light of history, but more importantly, it's because we messed up on a lot of things as well.

And the biggest reason why the US granted us our "independence" was because they didn't find the Philippines profitable anymore.
Old 2004-02-27, 19:58   Link #16
Kamui4356
Aria Company

Quote:
Originally Posted by kujoe
And the biggest reason why the US granted us our "independence" was because they didn't find the Philippines profitable anymore.
There was also a treaty signed among the allied powers that stated former colonial powers had to give up most of their overseas territories at the end of WW2. That was the same reason the French pulled out of Vietnam. If that hadn't been the case, the Philippines would likely still be under US control.
Old 2004-02-27, 20:23   Link #17
AnimeFangirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamui4356
There was also a treaty signed among the allied powers that stated former colonial powers had to give up most of their overseas territories at the end of WW2. That was the same reason the French pulled out of Vietnam. If that hadn't been the case, the Philippines would likely still be under US control.
"There was also" is right, there was far more to it than just a treaty. There are a lot of people who would contend with you that France didn't "pull out" of Vietnam but rather got their asses handed to them continuously until they left, e.g. at Dienbienphu.
I also hope you don't seriously believe the US would have signed any such treaty unless it was in their own political and economic interest. They WERE the dominant world power after WW2, remember. What kujoe said is quite right: if colonizing the Philippines had not become more trouble than it was worth, the US would never have pulled out, treaty or not treaty.
Anyway, this isn't a history forum (we should have one of those ). I'm just glad Naruto got licensed somewhere. I wonder if this means there are going to be "official" English dubs of Naruto out there.
Old 2004-02-27, 20:36   Link #18
ElvenPath
a step away from heaven

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorfl
Anyway, this isn't a history forum (we should have one of those ). I'm just glad Naruto got licensed somewhere. I wonder if this means there are going to be "official" English dubs of Naruto out there.
Quite right, off-topic posts will be deleted from now on.
Old 2004-02-27, 21:22   Link #19
Kamui4356
Aria Company

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorfl
"There was also" is right, there was far more to it than just a treaty. There are a lot of people who would contend with you that France didn't "pull out" of Vietnam but rather got their asses handed to them continuously until they left, e.g. at Dienbienphu.
I also hope you don't seriously believe the US would have signed any such treaty unless it was in their own political and economic interest. They WERE the dominant world power after WW2, remember. What kujoe said is quite right: if colonizing the Philippines had not become more trouble than it was worth, the US would never have pulled out, treaty or not treaty.
Just trying to help complete the fragmented information that had already been presented. I do have to say I sure hope you don't think that all US leaders were as narrowminded as the current administration. As for France and Vietnam, it's really too complex to get into. I did oversimplify things, but Vietnam became independent (in theory at least) long before the French "got their asses handed to them" and were forced out. Things are never that simple in history.

Well I guess I should get on topic at least somewhat. If Naruto is licensed in the Phillippines, will they be releasing it in Japanese with english and/or tagalog subs on dvd, or are releases there normally tv only, dubbed in tagalog? Just curious in how anime releases are handled there. Also is a license announcement in the Phillippines and indication of an upcoming license in the US, or are the anime companies there completely independent and have no relation to US anime companies?
Old 2004-02-27, 22:14   Link #20
OhJustSomeRandomGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamui4356
Also is a license announcement in the Phillippines and indication of an upcoming license in the US, or are the anime companies there completely independent and have no relation to US anime companies?
A license anywhere else in the world is completely immaterial in the US. Stuff gets licensed in Hong Kong all the time, and nowhere else. The only reason this was at all newsworthy is becuase it's about Naruto and here we are on a Naruto board.

Which company licensed Naruto over there anyway?
Closed Thread