AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2012-09-05, 16:09   Link #461
Urzu 7
Juanita/Kiteless

Quote:
Originally Posted by mystogan View Post
ok, it's not very delicious thing to eat, but what else would you get in the middle of the night, and there is no one to do actual cooking and it doesn't taste that bad,it tastes ok, about the ketchup i have no idea, bought it from a local store, there are actually so many brands for such stuff, you never know where it comes from
Well, I have done some interesting experiments with food for late night snacks. I love ketchup so now I kinda wanna try toast with ketchup to see what that is like. I've heard people try ketchup on so many things. One is ketchup on plain white rice. I never tried that before, but I've had ketchup on scrambled eggs (that is awesome) and on baked beans before (decent on baked beans).

Do you usually have butter? You could have that with toast. You could always have a snack of bread and butter. I will opt for that sometimes when I want a snack.
Old 2012-09-05, 16:46   Link #462
Mr.Raw
Permanent Lurker
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via AIM to Mr.Raw Send a message via MSN to Mr.Raw
Here's something for "ketchup": Mix it with chilli sauce. I think it was 2/3 Ketchup - 1/3 Chilli sauce or 1/3 Ketchup - 2/3 Chilli sauce. It's delicious!

it could also be just 50/50 D:

Random info:
Signature: Desert Punk

Last edited by Mr.Raw; 2012-09-06 at 01:36.
Mr.Raw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-05, 17:40   Link #463
Urzu 7
Juanita/Kiteless

What is chilly sauce? Do you mean chili sauce?
Old 2012-09-06, 01:35   Link #464
Mr.Raw
Permanent Lurker
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via AIM to Mr.Raw Send a message via MSN to Mr.Raw
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urzu 7 View Post
What is chilly sauce? Do you mean chili sauce?
Haha my bad, I meant chilli sauce yes

Random info:
Signature: Desert Punk

Mr.Raw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-06, 03:34   Link #465
mystogan
The Lost Lamb

Quote:
Well, I have done some interesting experiments with food for late night snacks. I love ketchup so now I kinda wanna try toast with ketchup to see what that is like. I've heard people try ketchup on so many things. One is ketchup on plain white rice. I never tried that before, but I've had ketchup on scrambled eggs (that is awesome) and on baked beans before (decent on baked beans).

Do you usually have butter? You could have that with toast. You could always have a snack of bread and butter. I will opt for that sometimes when I want a snack.
I do quite some experiments myself, i have tried ketchup with eggs as well and yes it does taste good,i usually i do have butter, but i was out of butter that time and i am sure i won't find any store open that late at night,
And by the way good luck for the toast and ketchup
Old 2012-09-07, 12:30   Link #466
nickelback

The last time I tried to cook something was in first year of college, I can still remember the burnt taste of meatballs with a sos that had the texture of corn flower (the bad part is that I had to eat it since I was a poor student :| ).

Other stuff I cooked:
I have a special dish of mine where I make french fries, add two beaten eggs (as in an omelette) on top of that. After I put the whole lot on a plate and some sprinkles of mozzarela or some other type of cheese with some ketchup or mustard.
It sounds disguising but when you are hungry, you don't really care
nickelback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-07, 12:48   Link #467
creb
Hiding Under Your Bed

For easy late night dinner that's unhealthy as sin, but delicious:

Fry up a pack of bacon. Let cool for a few minutes.

Mix the bacon (and fat) in big bowl with two pounds of raw ground beef, two eggs, half a cup of mayo, quarter cup of ketchup, half a cup of bread crumbs, two cups of shredded cheese.

Mold into loafs using two baking trays.

Bake at 400 degrees for 50 minutes.

If you're feeling adventurous, add other ingredients prior to baking as taste permits. Jalepenos. Mushrooms. Red onion. Etc.

Enjoy. And then go run for an hour every day for the next two weeks to work it all off.

As for ketchup and eggs, the basic idea I thought was to take a bowl of rice, eggs sunny side up on top of the rice, with some ketchup. It's basically a variation of a loco moco, with the ketchup replacing the more traditional gravy, though there's nothing saying you can't use both ketchup and gravy (and a hamburger patty, and bacon, and onions).
Also, cake.
creb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-07, 22:58   Link #468
Urzu 7
Juanita/Kiteless

That meatloaf you mentioned reminds me of this meatloaf I wanna make sometime:

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/n...ipe/index.html

I'd make it without the bacon, though. I like bacon sometimes, but there are a lot of times I'll omit it from recipes. It has a strong flavor that can sometimes overpower other flavors in a food. I think that meatloaf doesn't need the bacon and would be pretty good even without it. I think the hard boiled egg in the meatloaf sounds pretty good. A real hearty dish.
Old 2012-09-07, 23:10   Link #469
NoemiChan
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to NoemiChan
Just a rush made "Grilled MilkFish" it's our lunch at this moment...

Marinated in soy sauce, vinegar, black pepper, onions, garlic and a little oil.
NoemiChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-07, 23:14   Link #470
Urzu 7
Juanita/Kiteless

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenjiChan View Post
Just a rush made "Grilled MilkFish" it's our lunch at this moment...

Marinated in soy sauce, vinegar, black pepper, onions, garlic and a little oil.
Boneless filets?
Old 2012-09-07, 23:19   Link #471
NoemiChan
Banned

Quote:
Boneless filets?
Nah, my Dad just sliced it half.. then I marinated and cooked it... No filleting...

We don't mind the bones since they're soft in the first place...
Old 2012-09-08, 18:34   Link #472
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Send a message via AIM to synaesthetic
Quote:
I'd make it without the bacon, though. I like bacon sometimes, but there are a lot of times I'll omit it from recipes. It has a strong flavor that can sometimes overpower other flavors in a food. I think that meatloaf doesn't need the bacon and would be pretty good even without it. I think the hard boiled egg in the meatloaf sounds pretty good. A real hearty dish.
Bacon has a purpose on meatloaf besides flavor--it keeps the meatloaf moist from the top down. Without bacon, meatloaf usually ends up very dry on top.
Old 2012-09-08, 22:18   Link #473
Kmos

I had a burger with roasted potatoes for dinner. My burger was made up of pan fried medium well beef patty, removed then sauteed chopped onions & sliced mushrooms in same pan, fried egg over easy in another pan, chipotle mayo spread on a toasted potato bun. Roasted potatoes was just salt, pepper, olive oil in toaster oven. Have no pics, no camera atm.

Bacon is too expensive for me right now, $4 a pound or 12 ounces when it's on sale.
Kmos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-09, 21:24   Link #474
Urzu 7
Juanita/Kiteless

Quote:
Originally Posted by synaesthetic View Post
Bacon has a purpose on meatloaf besides flavor--it keeps the meatloaf moist from the top down. Without bacon, meatloaf usually ends up very dry on top.
Well then, I suppose I could put bacon on it and just eat it seperately. I thought the purpose of it was to combine some bacon with forkfuls of meatloaf, and not wanting to do that, I just didn't see the point of including it in the dish. But keeping the top moister is desirable, so I'd add the bacon.

Does it impart a significant amount of its flavor onto the meatloaf?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kmos View Post
I had a burger with roasted potatoes for dinner. My burger was made up of pan fried medium well beef patty, removed then sauteed chopped onions & sliced mushrooms in same pan, fried egg over easy in another pan, chipotle mayo spread on a toasted potato bun. Roasted potatoes was just salt, pepper, olive oil in toaster oven. Have no pics, no camera atm.

Bacon is too expensive for me right now, $4 a pound or 12 ounces when it's on sale.
Ever check your meat department for bacon slices you can purchase individually? My grocery store will let you buy bacon by the slice. If you can find a grocery store that does that, you could buy ingredients for a burger and then just buy 2 or 3 slices for a burger for very cheap.
Old 2012-09-09, 22:26   Link #475
NoemiChan
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by synaesthetic View Post
Try, coating it with egg, since pork if forbidden... egg would be go substitute...
Old 2012-09-09, 23:02   Link #476
Urzu 7
Juanita/Kiteless

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenjiChan View Post
Try, coating it with egg, since pork if forbidden... egg would be go substitute...
Bacon on it is fine for many, but for people who aren't supposed to eat pork due to their religion, I wonder what alternatives you could use. Egg probably wouldn't work. It might just get overcooked in the oven. Perhaps you could put the raw meatloaf in a container that would cover the bottom and sides, and then add a beef gravy to the top of the meatloaf to give it flavor and keep it moist.

Whaddya think Synaesthetic, do you think a good, homemade beef gravy on top of an egg infused meatloaf would be a good way to go? People sometimes bake meatloafs with gravy on top, right?
Old 2012-09-10, 04:09   Link #477
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Send a message via AIM to synaesthetic
I'd use lamb fat or duck fat on top of the meatloaf to keep it moist if you have dietary restrictions that prevent you from eating pork.

Gravy probably wouldn't keep it moist and would probably burn.
Old 2012-09-10, 05:30   Link #478
jdennis007

We have always put ketchup on top of ours before baking it.

@Nickelback eggs and fries is a real way to have your eggs.
jdennis007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-11, 11:04   Link #479
willx
Nyaaan~~

Oh man oh man..

My fiance's birthday is coming up and she has hinted heavily that she doesn't just want an expensive gift/jewellery/dinner this time -- she wants me to cook.

So, folks.. I'm going to try to do pan seared scallops and lobster tails .. wish me luck folks!
willx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-11, 18:48   Link #480
Urzu 7
Juanita/Kiteless

Quote:
Originally Posted by willx View Post
Oh man oh man..

My fiance's birthday is coming up and she has hinted heavily that she doesn't just want an expensive gift/jewellery/dinner this time -- she wants me to cook.

So, folks.. I'm going to try to do pan seared scallops and lobster tails .. wish me luck folks!
Well, you aren't giving her a plate of Hungry Man frozen dinner, so you are off to a good start.

What skill level are you at for cooking? I don't recall seeing you in this thread before. It'd be good to google search tips on pan frying scallops and lobster tails. You could look up ideas such as a sauce to make for it (maybe something with white wine) and read up on tips on how to not overcook the meat (it'll become tough and chewy if you do).

Do you want a sauce for the scallops and lobster tails? Do you plan to serve the meal with a starch and a vegetable? Two ideas for a starch would be steamed red potatoes with fresh rosemary, olive oil, sea salt, and pepper, or maybe some pearled couscous with a small amount of cooked, diced carrot, olive oil, sea salt, and a tiny bit of finely chopped fresh parsley (not raw). This would only work out well with pearled couscous, not the really small couscous. I'd use regular olive oil with only a touch of extra virgin olive oil if you'd want some of that. If either of those sound good, then google search recipes for steamed red potatoes and pearled couscous and find something you like (it'd be good to look up some recipes since what I suggested lacks details).

For vegetables, you could do steamed vegetables, either a single kind or a medley, or you could do a salad with the dark greens (like a spring mix) and then match it with a fitting salad dressing (like a really good vinaigrette). Make sure to serve the meal with wine!

Also, if you decide to cook with wine for this meal, google search on cooking with wine for beginners. I just started out with cooking with wine, and searching about it on the net helped me out. Sauvignon Blanc is a good white wine to use if you are new at cooking with wine. Using a real wine is definitely better than using the 'cooking wines' you find at grocery stores. Buy something that is good to drink, too, so that you can serve it with your meal.